: Wipers not working when its cold outside

Jonas McFeely
02-15-06, 04:17 AM
Hey guys. here is my problem: When it gets to be colder than about 45 degrees outside,my wipers stop working.Only when it gets that cold though.They just make a noise and dont do anything.After about 10-15 minutes,they start working fine.Its not that huge of a deal,because i live in central florida,and it rarely gets that cold,but when it does do it,it can be a bit annoying with all the dew that settles on the windshield. Does anyone know why this happens or know how i can fix it? Also,have any of you guys ever seen a dark green fleetwood brougham? I never have,and im curious is to how rare that color is. Thanks. - Tim

N0DIH
02-15-06, 11:15 AM
So is the motor still running when it does it? If the motor isn't running, that is electrical for sure. If the motor runs and the wipers don't, something in the gear assy.

I have a Fisher Body manual at home, that covers stuff like that, I'll try to remember to look it up. Mine are 1976 and 1980, but a lot of that stuff was common for many years.

Jonas McFeely
02-15-06, 02:23 PM
yeah,the motor is running,and when i move the switch to turn them on,it just hums,like its trying to move,but its stuck or something,then when the car is warmed up,they start working fine.

Mr_Bam
02-15-06, 02:52 PM
My new one does the same thing... I've found that just waiting a few minutes works or if you need them right then, turn them on with one hand and gently assist them... Then they'll work like normal... Don't know why though...

Jonas McFeely
02-15-06, 05:32 PM
My new one does the same thing... I've found that just waiting a few minutes works or if you need them right then, turn them on with one hand and gently assist them... Then they'll work like normal... Don't know why though...

thanks,i never thought about trying to assist it,that makes sense now that i think about it.There arnt many more really cold nights left here,but im sure i'll get to try out your advice a couple times.