: Another one bites the dust

davesdeville
02-14-06, 04:05 PM
So some shit went down... pics attached. My fault. More later, maybe. :crying: :banghead: :mad2: :( :crybaby: :helpless: :annoyed: :bomb: :mad:

Oh yeah, check out the nice hole in my oil pan in the last pic.

mccombie_5
02-14-06, 04:12 PM
She can be fixed right??

Surely seh can be fixed?

Sorry to see that Dave, first Ricks 79 and now this, hope shes up and running again soon.

Kev
02-14-06, 04:15 PM
That's a heart breaker right there Dave. Hope you can get it taken care of.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-14-06, 04:26 PM
Oh for the love of god!

Two in one week!

It looks like similar damage to my deVille.

It shouldnt be hard or too expensive to fix the bodywork. How much oil spilled out of the oilpan?

Elvis
02-14-06, 04:28 PM
Until I saw the oil pan I thought, no big deal.

Man, I'm sorry. I guess you'll have to fix her if it was your fault.

Be careful out there, kids. These machines can get out of hand.

gdwriter
02-14-06, 04:32 PM
They're dropping like flies!

I got a new coil to put in Betty tonight (she's been stuck in the garage since December 27), but with the plethora of wrecks among us, I'm not sure I want to push my luck. If I get her running I just may drive her out of the garage and back in.

Good luck getting it fixed, Dave.

As they said on Hill Street Blues, "let's be careful out there."

LittleB
02-14-06, 05:13 PM
Oh this is just horrible....THE AGONY!!!!!!! :crying:

SHERIFF
02-14-06, 05:13 PM
So some shit went down... pics attached. My fault.

As Maxwell smart would say..... Sorry about that, Chief! :thepan:

But.... this has to be a historic moment in the history of the Internet.... somebody finally admitted they were at fault in an accident. I have never seen anybody admit they were at fault. It's always one excuse after another why the other place or object ended up getting in their way. I admire your honesty. :worship:

Tommy Deville
02-14-06, 05:25 PM
God damm whats going on?

DopeStar 156
02-14-06, 06:43 PM
WHAT THE HELL?!?!?! EVERYBODY STOP DRIVING!!! LOL! I just locked my keys in my safe and they're staying there!!!! Damn Dave that sucks. Didn't you say the other day that you wouldn't know what you'd do if you crashed one of your cars? Damn, creepy.....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-14-06, 06:46 PM
Alright thats it! I'm gonna buy a beater Honda to drive so I cant get in a second accident in this car!

LittleB
02-14-06, 06:46 PM
That IS creepy! You jinxed it!! I agree with Dope...everyone just STOP DRIVING!!!!!

Playdrv4me
02-14-06, 06:57 PM
ouch.

DopeStar 156
02-14-06, 06:58 PM
That IS creepy! You jinxed it!! I agree with Dope...everyone just STOP DRIVING!!!!!
Right?! Didn't he say last night if he was gonna get into an accident he'd prefer it be the Eldo as opposed to the DeVille? Ahh well it's not too bad dude, that's very minor, just a little fender bender. You can get an iol pan too I would think, I know I've had mine replaced since it was paper thin.

JimHare
02-14-06, 07:06 PM
Sorry to see that, Dave - I hate seeing a nice Eldo with crinkles in it...Hope it won't be excessive $$$ to repair.

With luck, everyone reading about your and Rick's recent problems will take them to heart and be just a bit more careful out there.

Of course, we could start a pool on who will be next... urrrgh..

davesdeville
02-14-06, 07:58 PM
Here's the short version. I'm making a right hand turn onto a street that has 2 lanes each way, plus a left turn bay. I'm slowed down to approx. 20mph because a car ahead of the car infront of me is also turning right. I enter the turn and start braking, I notice my attempt at braking is having NO effect. Why it had no effect, I'm not sure. I don't THINK I missed the pedal but I could've. Another possibility is that I had a 2liter of soda wedged between the seat and the door like I do sometimes; after the crash the 2 liter was on the floor - it might've rolled under the brake pedal. The soda bottles I've had in the past have never moved from there home between the seat and door, it seemed like a pretty secure place. Maybe not, soda goes on the floorboard behind the seat from now on though... I hit an older Mazda 3, extensive damage to its drivers side quarter panels and door. I missed the front wheel by a few inches and the 3's powertrain is fine, the rear wheel is fine, and in fact the car drove away from the accident. But, it is an older car, so they might just total it out.

I have to say I couldn't have found a nicer lady to run into, if she was mad she didn't show it, she was 23 and her dad showed up, he didn't talk to me but he seemed nice too. She took some pics, she said she'd email them to me, if she does I'll post 'em. We called the police non emergency number and they sent a police service aide, I'm going to get the report tomorrow.

Right?! Didn't he say last night if he was gonna get into an accident he'd prefer it be the Eldo as opposed to the DeVille? Ahh well it's not too bad dude, that's very minor, just a little fender bender. You can get an iol pan too I would think, I know I've had mine replaced since it was paper thin.

Yeah, that is fairly ironic... I suppose I'm glad it wasn't the DeVille. But unfortunately it's not a minor fender bender. Just glancing at it, I'll need a new front subframe, oil pan, quarter panel, hood, light assembly, and bumper. I'll also need a passenger side door from an unrelated incident where my friend backed it into a stupid yellow pole - I suppose I could get the door fixed at a body shop but it would probably be just as easy to replace the darn thing.

And here's the kicker, I have yet to find ONE single Eldorado in a junkyard in town. If I can have my friend find a suitable donor car in Phoenix, I can bring parts back and do it that way, plus it'll be an excuse to visit my friend in Phoenix. But if nothing comes up parts wise I suppose I'll have to part out my car, which would be a very sad experiance. I really hope it doesn't come to it. I might just try my hand at doing a northstar Fiero if it comes down to it, the engine's easily repairable. I just hope that the median didn't hit my wheel hard enough to screw up a CV joint or something like that.

gary88
02-14-06, 08:04 PM
I'm scared to drive now. Today 2 people already tried to merge onto me.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-14-06, 08:24 PM

I jinxed it?

Well I seem to have started this "trend" :(

DaveSmed
02-14-06, 09:16 PM
Damn that sucks. I think i'm already not liking this year. (Oh wait, decided that one on Jan 8 when I totaled my car...)

Good luck in finding parts for it, that looked to be a nice car and it would be a shame to send another one off to the crusher.

slk230mb
02-14-06, 09:23 PM
Ouch, sorry to hear that Dave. Hopefully you will be able to find a parts car.

turbojimmy
02-14-06, 09:34 PM
Just glancing at it, I'll need a new front subframe, oil pan, quarter panel, hood, light assembly, and bumper.

Just glancing at it, it looks like that turbo STS. Perfect opportunity to jam a turbo up in thar.

Sorry to read of your misfortune. Nothing some cash can't cure. With the recent spate of badness, I'm glad my recent mishap was a light rear tap (before anyone says anything, I realize not all rear taps are mishaps, but mine was).

Jim

AlBundy
02-14-06, 09:44 PM
I was also in a accident. My driver's side front headlights was clipped. It was extensive damage but not as bad as your. I was quoted $2800 damage. I was clipped by a off duty officer and was arrested. I spent 20hrs in jail. I'm fighting the case based on wrongfull arrest and the fact that I was involved in a accident with one of their gang member so I'm wrong regardless of her fault.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-14-06, 10:26 PM
damn ...what the hell is going on around here .....i feel lucky now that i was only kicked ....

tomorrows another day tho ....

I remeber "the curse" on G20 net ....i was the last and most gruesome of the chain , i think it was 15 cars in 6 months

Jesda
02-14-06, 10:47 PM
Lets take bets on who gets wrecked next. Meg? Ian?

gdwriter
02-14-06, 10:48 PM
The good news is, I put in a new coil, and Betty started right up. Less than $20, too.

The better news is I took her out for a short drive, and I DIDN'T have an accident. She's safely back in the garage where she'll stay until I have money for gas or this chain of mishaps gets broken.

But I still have to drive to work tomorrow, so screw knocking on wood. I'm pounding it in the hope that Cruella is not the next victim.

Sorry to hear the damage is so extensive, Dave. Hope you can find the parts you need.

Night Wolf
02-14-06, 10:59 PM
WTF!

When did this happen?!

Wait... today...

how the hell did I miss it?

DAMN man... well, still in better shape then the '79... but gosh... you know how much I really like the '95 ETC.... this sucks.

So wait in the past couple days... my '79 gets totaled, the Eldorado has extensive damage... and Mike's car gets kicked? wow... not really a day for us to be driving around....

damn. Atleast your car is... well, easily fixable realitivly speaking. There is a ~1992 Eldo at the yard here... 4.9 powered.

Night Wolf
02-14-06, 11:03 PM
Plus Dave's BMW getting totaled like... not even a month ago?!?

Who else?

Ah yes... the Coupe got hydrolocked last week....

Anything else? Febuary, 2006 is NOT looking like a nice month....

DopeStar 156
02-14-06, 11:22 PM
I just finished building the brick wall around my car. Tomrrow I get started on the roof.....

davesdeville
02-14-06, 11:42 PM
Just glancing at it, it looks like that turbo STS. Perfect opportunity to jam a turbo up in thar.

It's either going to be something like that happening, or maybe a Northstar Fiero. I've always wanted to turbo this thing, Mark's STS is good inspiration, although my goals would be a bit under what he's doing (probably run 8psi at altitude which would be a bit over 5 at sea level.) But that all depends on if I can find a good parts car... Either way after an infusion of cash I should have something that'll run better than a 16 flat.

Man this has been a bad month for cars here now that I think about it :(

gdwriter, congratulations on not wrecking :) *yet* (don't want to jinx that too.)

I'm glad nobody's crawling up my ass for being a bad driver or whatever. Thank you all for that.

As for who wrecks next, I got $1 on Jesda. :p

I think I'm just gonna get some sleep, I've got a lot of phone calls to make in the morning *ugh* :helpless:

gdwriter
02-14-06, 11:47 PM
gdwriter, congratulations on not wrecking :) *yet* (don't want to jinx that too.)

As for who wrecks next, I got $1 on Jesda. :p

Thanks, Dave.

I'll see your buck and raise you another, also on Jesda. :p

Zorb750
02-15-06, 01:59 AM
There are three or four Eldorados at Mack's Auto in Waterford, MI.

If there's anything you need, let me know, I will pick over them and get you the part if I can. It would be shipping from 48362 (Orion, MI) if you're curious what shipping would cost.

mccombie_5
02-15-06, 03:57 AM
Thanks, Dave.

I'll see your buck and raise you another, also on Jesda. :p

I'' see you your two bucks and raise you three :sneaky: on Jesda!

Zorb750
02-15-06, 05:00 AM
Three? Six? I will raise one cow.

http://pages.prodigy.net/zorbatron/cow/Cow128.jpg

Dave: Hey this may sound stupid, but I looked at your picture of your Eldorado then looked under mine. Are you sure that's not the trans pan that's Zorked? The oil pan is right behind the filter. I think it's at least dented too, but I think the one with the visible hole is the transmission pan.

davesdeville
02-15-06, 03:04 PM
Hmm I just glanced at it yesterday so it very well could be the transmission pan. I'll have to take another look today. I assumed it was the oil pan because I lost oil pressure, but the oil filter is definately smushed so that could account for that.

May have located a donor car, possibly 2, at one of the smaller junkyards in town...

Zorb that's nice of you to offer but shipping would absolutely kill me. If it comes down to it I have family I drive out and visit in northern Ohio in the summer, I can take my friend's truck and I'm sure I can find Eldo parts somewhere along the way.

It looks like this thing's getting fixed. Feels good to just say that. :)

gothicaleigh
02-15-06, 03:22 PM
Anything else? Febuary, 2006 is NOT looking like a nice month....

Does it count that my left rear spring snapped on my e30 and my e-brake won't engage now (may be a separate problem, but it emerged at the same time).

Anyhoo... it's the perfect excuse for me to finally upgrade both systems. Car is in the garage and H&R springs/Bilstein shocks and a BREMBO brake set is on the way. :D

Okay, not quite an accident... but I'm excited and wanted to share. :p

Unfortunately, it also means I have to brave the snow and salt in the CTS... >.<

mtflight
02-15-06, 06:31 PM
Sorry about that. I hope that you can get her fixed. It hurts to see any car like that let alone a twin car.

LittleB
02-15-06, 06:41 PM
Lets take bets on who gets wrecked next. Meg? Ian?

Dammit now you jinxed me :banghead: :crying: Why did you have to mention my name??? :(

Zorb750
02-15-06, 08:11 PM
Hmm I just glanced at it yesterday so it very well could be the transmission pan. I'll have to take another look today. I assumed it was the oil pan because I lost oil pressure, but the oil filter is definately smushed so that could account for that.

.... adridged ....

Zorb that's nice of you to offer but shipping would absolutely kill me. If it comes down to it I have family I drive out and visit in northern Ohio in the summer, I can take my friend's truck and I'm sure I can find Eldo parts somewhere along the way.

It looks like this thing's getting fixed. Feels good to just say that. :)

Northern Ohio? This is kind of south eastern Michigan. Don't forget... A Trans pan or oil pan can come from anywhere, Seville, Eldorado, Deville. I love having my pick over a car that went around a telephone pole sideways. Lots of cool stuff to steal. Probably fill the back of my Grand Cherokee for $500.

peterb
02-15-06, 08:39 PM
...Tomrrow I get started on the roof.....
Well, just make sure it doesn't collapse! :suspense:

davesdeville
02-16-06, 02:14 AM
Yes indeed it's the transmission pan. I could bend the subframe back, put a new trans. pan on, and a headlight and turnsignal assembly on there and it would be driveable and legal even. I could afford to do it right now if I wanted to.

But instead at this point I'm going to save my money and fix it all at the same time. I'd rather pay for 11mpg in the 75 or drive my parents SHO than drive my Eldo in its busted condition.

I'm strongly considering a nice LSD and high stall converter along with a T70 or just maybe a T62 like Mark's STS but it still seems like a small compressor for 279ci at 6500rpm. I wouldn't really want to see boost until 3600 or so anyway so I could stay out of boost driving it daily but wouldn't have to wait for it to spool again after a shift, and I could still get a good launch with a nice convertor. With the convertor and turbo I could run mild cams even in this heavy car... (But this was supposed to be my no mods daily driver fuel economy car...)

eldorado99
02-16-06, 02:22 AM
I just finished building the brick wall around my car. Tomrrow I get started on the roof.....

Damn right! I think I'll do that too! And to think I just put my Caddy back on the road... I better switch back to the Ford. I'm scared :holycrap:, someone hold me :(.

Zorb750
02-16-06, 04:48 AM
SHO? Have the cam gears pinned or welded if it's the 3.4. Or you will regret it!

DopeStar 156
02-16-06, 08:08 AM
Damn right! I think I'll do that too! And to think I just put my Caddy back on the road... I better switch back to the Ford. I'm scared :holycrap:, someone hold me :(.

Definately not a bad idea pal.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-16-06, 03:43 PM
I'd rather pay for 11mpg in the 75 or drive my parents SHO than drive my Eldo in its busted condition.

11 MPG for a 5000lb, 500cid, 3 speed powered boat....not bad actually!
Especially considering my '95 Roadmaster Limited sedan averaged 13-14!

Is that highway or city or mixed?

Kdirk
02-16-06, 04:34 PM
Dammit,

My condolences on the [hopefully temporary] loss of a choice Eldo. I hate to see this happen to anyone, especially a fellow Cadillac owner. That said, I've had a few close calls myself this week. Gotta be the full moon or something.

Now then, I didn't see or hear any of this. I wasn't here, nobody saw me. Keep the curse of the Cadillac Forums the hell away from my baby...

Kevin

LittleB
02-16-06, 04:44 PM
Dammit now you jinxed me :banghead: :crying: Why did you have to mention my name??? :(

OK I seriously had a dream last night that I crashed my car :crying: :nono: and it's all because of Jesda. :mad:

:D

davesdeville
02-16-06, 08:48 PM
So some dude named Bill stopped by today (while I was taking a nap no less) and offered 2 grand for it as is. I don't think he knows there's a gaping hole in the transmission pan. Regardless I doubt I'd take him up on that offer...

I'm still trying to decide what power adder the ETC is getting. I could get high 13s at this altitude with nitrous, I figure very high 12s with a turbo. But at that speed I'd want to do the LSD and high stall convertor and tranny cooler to keep it alive, which adds $1500 to it. I'll probably just spray it when it's back in one piece, then concentrate on the 75.

11 MPG for a 5000lb, 500cid, 3 speed powered boat....not bad actually!
Especially considering my '95 Roadmaster Limited sedan averaged 13-14!

Is that highway or city or mixed?

100% city. I've only taken it on one road trip (and that was only 100 miles or so) on the highway, and it got about 8mpg with the speedo pegged past 100 the whole way.

SHO? Have the cam gears pinned or welded if it's the 3.4. Or you will regret it!

It's a 92, 3.0 5spd, has some CAI the previous owner put on. Fun car but it can't keep up with the ETC even with a perfect launch the ETC pulls hard off the line and never stops inching farther ahead. I normally would drive it once a week or so just to keep my practice with a manual up.

Zorb750
02-17-06, 05:51 AM
The V8 SHOs are having lots of issues relating to enigine destruction due to the separation of the cam gear from the camshaft. Usually happens around 60-90000 miles.

http://www.v8sho.com/

Factory Ordered Road Disaster.

davesdeville
02-17-06, 06:31 AM
Exactly why my friend who originally bought this car didn't go for a V8.

I'm actually looking at some parts on eBay. Found a headlight and signal assembly for pretty cheap ($25 + SH.) A front fender/quarter panel is like $350 through eBay though... The local yard I found some parts at is a frickin ripoff.

I've decided as long as it's going to be down I'm probably going to pull the engine/trans and do the shift solenoids and headgaskets. I'll try to fix the HVAC cover thing behind the engine while it's out. Then I'll spray it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-17-06, 09:40 AM
The V8 SHOs are having lots of issues relating to enigine destruction due to the separation of the cam gear from the camshaft. Usually happens around 60-90000 miles.

http://www.v8sho.com/

Factory Ordered Road Disaster.

Wow what a catastrophy! (sp?)

Sure, the HT4100 likes to overheat, and the Ford 3.8 has head gasket issues. But none of those can top this! When the cam seperates from the cam gear, it usually signals the end of that motor right? Because like most Japanese motors (remember, its Yamaha built) it probably has zero tolerance valves. Which means when the cam goes, the valves hit the piston.

Kev
02-17-06, 12:33 PM
OK I seriously had a dream last night that I crashed my car :crying: :nono: and it's all because of Jesda. :mad:

:DI was dreaming about reading a bunch of wrecked Cadillac horror stories on Cadillac Forums and ......... OH CRAP!!
I just pinched myself!! :eek: :banghead: :bang2:

powerglide
02-17-06, 12:47 PM
The local yard I found some parts at is a frickin ripoff.

Yeah I went with ebay too....I think the juk yard just looks up the price for a new part then undercuts it by a few bucks.....kinda rip.

I got brand new front bumper cover for 10.50 plus shipping on ebay.....used one was over 350!

Zorb750
02-18-06, 06:29 AM
... When the cam seperates from the cam gear, it usually signals the end of that motor right? Because like most Japanese motors (remember, its Yamaha built) it probably has zero tolerance valves. Which means when the cam goes, the valves hit the piston.

Right. Maximum survivable is about 15-1800 RPM, and at highway speed how that thing's geared, it's running way above that. Usually it goes in the order of valves bend, heads are trashed by breaking what supports the cams, pistons are destroyed, wrist pin/connecting rod breaks. In about that order of severity, depending on speed of engine. Of course each stage carries all prior stages with it...

The bad part is that it happens with no rhyme or reason. I read about people who had them and rarely drove them hard, just bought them because it was a V8 ans it failed at 50 ot 60000 miles. There are also people who run the hell out of them and it works for 100K miles. It seems entirely independent of how the car is driven, how far, whatever.

And technically the heads are Japanese. The engine bottom end is based on Ford's modular line of crapboxes. (4.6, 5.4, 3.0, 6.8, etc)

davesdeville
02-18-06, 07:18 AM
The term for that (valves hitting pistons) is interference engine.

I can't find a damn 4L80E pan. I might just weld a piece of metal on the hole in mine, I'm pretty decent with a MIG. Autozone sells some cast aluminum racing pan for $160 I think but that's on the expensive side.

Night Wolf
02-18-06, 12:37 PM
JB Weld is an amazing product :).

Mabye you could rig up a drain plug valve deal where the hole is.... then you could drain the fluid and refill...sure you woudln't be cleaning the pan or changing the filter, but it still would be a neat idea.

JC316
02-18-06, 01:43 PM
Well, the pan is practicly flat anyway, so it should be easy to fix. Yeah I bet he offered you $2,000 for that gorgeous Eldo, that thing is worth a good bit more and it's easy to fix. The subframe is not that hard to pull and alot of junk yards have eldos.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-18-06, 05:26 PM
And technically the heads are Japanese. The engine bottom end is based on Ford's modular line of crapboxes. (4.6, 5.4, 3.0, 6.8, etc)

Really?! I always thought that 3.4 V8 was Yamaha built....Oh Well. The 3.0 and 3.2 V6's used in the 1st and 2nd gen SHO's. Were Ford built but Yamaha modded right?

Built Ford Tough?

DaveSmed
02-18-06, 09:07 PM

I can't find a damn 4L80E pan. I might just weld a piece of metal on the hole in mine, I'm pretty decent with a MIG. Autozone sells some cast aluminum racing pan for $160 I think but that's on the expensive side.

Isn't that pan aluminum? Might need to TIG it.

Zorb750
02-19-06, 02:58 AM

Yeah, I know it's interference.

But you don't have 4L80E. You have 4T80E. Want me to see if I can get one for you? Probably $10 if they have one.

Edit: Come to think of it, they probably won't have a junk trans at a junk yard, and they would never sell one off a transmission that may be good. GM part number is 8681485, you may have to add a leading zero (08681485) in some cases. GM list is $47.75. Gmpartsdirect.com price is $27.22 + 9.95 shipping.

davesdeville
02-19-06, 05:24 AM
Oops, I know I have a 4T80e (transverse vs longitudinal,) must've had 4L80E on the brain because I was considering picking up one that's for sale locally for my Deville. But now I'm not sure if I was searching for a L or a T pan so I have to start looking again... :(

As for the interference thing I was trying to correct I~LUV~Caddys8792.

Yeah there's very little chance I could find a pan at a junkyard (or that you could.) The part number comes up as a pan gasket in rockauto's catalog, which I'll need anyway so thanks. I spose I'll call the stealership parts counter some time. I've got an oil change (with a stripped head on the drain plug) tomorrow, headgasket job to do on Monday and probably Tuesday and just maybe Wednsday too, so I guess it'll have to wait.

Isn't that pan aluminum? Might need to TIG it.

Damnit there goes that idea, I don't have access to a tig. Unless I want to get someone else to do it... I suppose a nice patch piece and some JB weld would hold up, not like the pan is under pressure, I'll consider that as a last resort.