: Strange Thing Happened To Me On The Way To The Liquor Store Last Night

50 4Ever
02-14-06, 03:22 PM
I was driving on a major surface street yesterday afternoon when I rolled down all the windows and popped the top. I decided to turn up the volume of the radio so I turned the knob and nothing, no volume change at all. I thought that was funny so I turned it off and back on (trick I learned while in the computer bisiness for 27 years). Still no change, so I spun the knob one way then the other, no change. I stopped for dinner and when I got in and turned the key on I about soiled myself because the radio came on at full volume, now the volume knob worked.

Any of you guys ever experienced any problem like this?

:eek:

Dreamin
02-14-06, 04:05 PM
Yeah... What kind of music were you playing? The radio has "Dont disturb cars and people around you with loud, crappy music" protection... activated only when all windows are down...

J/K... never head of that one...

gothicaleigh
02-14-06, 04:05 PM
I had a 98 Bonneville SSEi with the Bose system that did that. Had it into the dealer twice, but they could neither reproduce the problem nor fix it. Happened at odd times for seemingly no reason.

Had the problem to the day I sold it and I would be willing to bet it still does it to this day.

ghaskins
02-14-06, 04:09 PM
All your volume are belong to us!

AmesCTS-V
02-14-06, 04:27 PM
Happened once to me with XM. It had a signal and displayed the song or whatever was on just zero volume. CD/FM worked fine when I switched from XM to CD I got a rude awakening with the volume cranked.

ctsvett
02-14-06, 05:06 PM
Porbably a Class II communication error... The radio sends a Class II message to the amp telling it to change the volume level... If there was a communication breakdown, (loss of communication) the result would be what happened to you. If you have a scanner, check for trouble codes or communication loss (will not light up the MIL- but is visible when scanned)...

Reed

crowan
02-14-06, 05:12 PM
Are you sure the title of this thread shouldn't actually be: "Strange Thing Happened To Me On The Way FROM The Liquor Store Last Night?" :alchi:

J/K

The only problem that I have had with the radio involves its memory dropping the saved XM stations. Nothing like getting a "full blast surprise" to perk you up. Oww!

CR

NIK
02-14-06, 05:40 PM
Yep - same thing happened to me about a year and a half ago while listening to XM. Once I restarted the car all was well, and has been to this day. Happened only that one time.

VELOSE
02-14-06, 06:34 PM
That's why I still download music and then rip it on cd's. No loss of communication here.:D

50 4Ever
02-14-06, 07:38 PM
Yeah... What kind of music were you playing? The radio has "Dont disturb cars and people around you with loud, crappy music" protection... activated only when all windows are down...

J/K... never head of that one...

I sure wish all the Ricers in this area had that option. It is annoying when you pull up to a stoplight and your car starts to vibrate to the beat of the music that some young deaf guy is playing, and I don't believe it's really music either just noise.

Since I'm over 50, I listen to old fart's music, I was listening to a CD.

Thanks for the replies.

:alchi:

CVP33
02-14-06, 09:54 PM
This is crazy! I thought it was just me. The strange thing is it only happens on the way to the liquor store. What the hell? :lildevil:

2004ctsv
02-14-06, 11:04 PM
That's odd w/ a CD.

With XM, it sounds like its normal fade in and out I get when driving in some valleys around here. But I never had a CD go silent.

T

Dennisscars
02-14-06, 11:44 PM
:hmm: Why is it that the more you drink, the louder the music has to be on the way home? Or "who left the volume up so loud last night?" :eek: :band:

wildwhl
02-15-06, 02:25 AM
This is crazy! I thought it was just me. The strange thing is it only happens on the way to the liquor store. What the hell? :lildevil:

Bizarre.

I just went out with a nice pinot and tried it - no volume change whatsoever! Totally freaking weeze! Then I realized I didn't have my keys with me :suspect:

Returned to the bottle of pinot and the music has been nice ever since. Dammit, CVP, get a job. You're catching me.

:alchi:

VELOSE
02-15-06, 04:22 PM
Dreamin knows a bottle of Patron Silver also helps get them high notes with "La Cucaracha". Who needs the radio?:alchi: