: Hardwired FM Modulator / iPod Alternatives

diverdan
02-14-06, 03:13 PM
I am looking for a good way to get an aux input to the stock NAV audio system. No offense to the iPod integration kit, but I don't like the limitations of the interface visible in the NAV head unit (limited number of playlists, no way to see name on playlists). I am considering a hardwired FM Modulator, the kind that plugs in the antenna input on the rear of the stereo and blocks most FM receptions when it is on. I have one as a part of my Sirius Sportster in my GTO and found it worked well with decent sound quality and no interference.

Has anyone used one of these in the CTS-V? If so what were the results?

Are there any other alternatives besides this and the above mentioned iPod kit? I plan to use this primarily with my iPod but would prefer not to have head unit integration, just a line level input into the stereo.

John

GOTTSPD
02-14-06, 03:42 PM
I have an iRock wireless FM modulator, not a hard wired one, and it works surprisingly well. Sounds are full and rich and usually there is no static...

heavymetals
02-14-06, 03:44 PM
There is no line level input to the stereo.

It is a serial data stream that is "decoded" by the amplifier unit.

SoCadillac
02-14-06, 04:36 PM
Go here and scroll down to "Car Kits."

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/accessories/

ctsvett
02-14-06, 05:07 PM
Uh.. there is a line level input here:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/auxaud

You could use this to input ANYTHING, but you disconnect XM (unless you have it switched)...

Reed

heavymetals
02-14-06, 05:20 PM
What I meant was that there is no line level OUTPUT signal to the amplifier unit.

SoCadillac
02-14-06, 05:24 PM
Uh.. there is a line level input here:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/auxaud

You could use this to input ANYTHING, but you disconnect XM (unless you have it switched)...

Reed
Reed,

As usual great info, but can you please date these FAQ bulletins? I see that PAC has a newer model:

"Part Number: AAI-GM24

The AAI-GM24 is a standalone auxiliary input for most 2003-2005 GM vehicles. Unlike our AAI-GM12, the AAI-GM24 works with vehicles that do not come with factory XM, factory DVD or factory external CD changer. The AAI-GM24 will have two auxiliary inputs selectable by the headunit's button. Even works in most vehicles with the factory 6 disc in-dash head units. The AAI-GM24 aux input is the first in the industry to use the steering wheel or radio buttons to send out commands to PAC's optional SWI-X which can be used to control an MP3 player, DVD, VCP or most devices that use an infrared remote.

Note: The AAI-GM24 will not work for 2000-2003 TrailBlazer, Envoy or Bravada, 2003-2004 S10 and 2003-2005 SSR.

New Update! Version 2 of the AAI-GM24 works with vehicles that have both XM and a CD changer at the same time."

ctsvett
02-14-06, 07:10 PM
Dating them would be difficult to go back and do, but I will do that from now on... thanks..

as for the PAC stuff, I wrote that procedure a while back when I did that to my car. If you wire it up, write up a new procedure and I will gladly post it. I no longer have the need for this (so I removed it)...

I would be VERY suspicious if something said it would work without the factory XM (and every V has the factory XM unless you live in canada I think)... The XM unit identifies itself over the class II bus as present in the car and THEN (only then) will you even be able to see the XM band (when pressing the Band button on the radio)... A module that can broadcast this "i'm here" message is usually more expensive (like the iPod kit) and requries more intelligence... I have not looked into the new PAC stuff, but I am just saying.. If you find out it works, let me know...

If you dont have the factory XM, you can use the old pac decive and have your dealer "enable" the XM band (instructions in the FAQ doc library) so it is visible all the time.. then you wont need the XM module in the car...

Reed

Playdrv4me
02-14-06, 07:17 PM
This has been beat to death on here...

FM Modulators are trash... hardwired or otherwise. Ive used 20.00 ones and 100.00 ones, and even ones that came as part of Ford/Sony dealer installed aftermarket CD Changer kits. They ALL had limited dynamic range and occasional static driving around as opposed to cassette adapters or the gold standard which is a line-in connection. I would gladly sacrifice XM (and I did in my Avalanche) to have the Aux input capability and if I HAD to have XM, then I would just use the PAC solutions to switch between both of them. I mean your not gonna listen to both at the same time right?

Go with PAC and line-in if you are fortunate enough to have that option. FM Modulators just dont cut it if you are a true music aficionado.

SoCadillac
02-14-06, 08:36 PM
Dating them would be difficult to go back and do, but I will do that from now on... thanks..
Reed,

Thanks. Whenever, you change an existing FAQ it would be very helpful if they had a "Revised" date on them. Just a suggestion and thanks.

SoCadillac
02-14-06, 08:36 PM
FM Modulators are trash... hardwired or otherwise..
Yes, they have always been a mixed bag of goods.