: engine just stops at red lights

caberts1
02-14-06, 12:35 PM
I have been reading in the forum that it is possible that it is the crankshaft sensor. my question is has any body tried to remove it and clean it and see if that fixes the problem or it better to just replace it. and my next question is how hard is it to do. please help this car is driving me nuts. ever since i changed my battery i have had to replace 2 O2 sensors a MAF sensor and now i guess according to you guys a crankshaft sensor, does it ever end?

bengsxr
02-14-06, 11:30 PM
well that is a cheap part to replace at least but you can try to clean it. some people have cleaned theirs and fixed the problem.

gixxer_751
02-15-06, 04:09 PM
the only part thats difficult is re-routing the plug side of the crankshaft sensor, but even that just take some common knowledge

caberts1
02-17-06, 07:42 PM
thanks for your help.

1986cimarron
05-29-06, 12:21 PM
I really don't think it's anything to due with the crank sensor. If it stalls at red lights then the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) solenoid is sticking causing the engine and transmission to stay locked up, so when you make it stop it stalls the engine.

baking
05-30-06, 09:02 AM
My 96 would randomly die when stopped. It didn't set any codes and it would always start right back up. It turned out to be the IAC valve.

Wolverine
05-31-06, 08:33 PM
I just spent $483 to replace sensors on my DTS... Funny thing, obviously this is a known problem on Cadillacs... BUT... at the dealership they say they have never seen the problem... I'm finding that hard to believe!

AwfulSmokey
06-05-06, 04:14 PM
So which is it? If it's a common problem then it also should be a common answer.... I have seen a few different ones in this thread. I am having the same problem now. It has occured twice in the 5 weeks i have owned it. Any idea if this would be covered under a powertrain warranty?

steelwill777
06-14-06, 06:17 PM
If it makes you fell any better I just had the same problem today and it was the crank position sensor and I had to tell the dealer that form reading several of these forums. They callled at the end of the day and said thats what it is and it is a pretty cheap fix as I am under extended warranty.

steelwill777
06-14-06, 11:24 PM
try this link this guy did it and has diagrams on this forum.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/67854-98-catera-crankshaft-position-sensor-replacement.html?highlight=crank

This should help you out.