: Carbon buildup/ fuel additives/ opinions???

Gary00SLS
01-02-04, 07:20 AM
I had read somewhere about carbon buildup in the valve system/ top end causing a rough idle and even stalling when stopped+car in gear. I recently started feeling a surging at 35 mph and 'service engine soon' light came on following a later starting cycle which had later cleared during my drive home.
Has anyone used or would anyone recommend using fuel injector cleaner? Chevron/Techron, Berryman, etc.

Here is the information I had found about The Northstar. see Problems and Recalls regarding carbon deposits.

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/us/us100232.htm

elwesso
01-02-04, 09:33 AM
The thing that includes your engine is the carbon deposits in the combustion chamber... I dont think that this problem is related to your current problem, but that doesnt necessarily mean anything....

I would try running some fuel injector cleaner... Use BG44k (you can only order the stuff, but its the best).... Approx $20 can..... Id also run some GM TOP ENGINE CLEANER... Those 2 things, along with some WOT runs every week or so should give you some results.... If it doesnt, then you might need to look into other things, like spark plugs/wires.....

powerglide
01-06-04, 03:01 AM
I had read somewhere about carbon buildup in the valve system/ top end causing a rough idle and even stalling when stopped+car in gear. I recently started feeling a surging at 35 mph and 'service engine soon' light came on following a later starting cycle which had later cleared during my drive home.
Has anyone used or would anyone recommend using fuel injector cleaner? Chevron/Techron, Berryman, etc.

Here is the information I had found about The Northstar. see Problems and Recalls regarding carbon deposits.

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/us/us100232.htm

my 98 deville does the same thing
started with some surging at around 35-55 mph
then full out rough idle (mostly in gear but sometimes in park)
the car hasn't stalled yet but threatens to do so
got the service engine light on and sometimes blinks (DTC code P0300= misfire)

I checked my plug wires for burns and crack, inspected the plugs but found nothing. WOT runs haven't solved anything so far. Wesso's idea of fuel rail flush sounds like a possibility too...... I am trying to decide if I should spend 100$ to have it diagnosed at the dealer or spend the same for a set of plugs and wires, change them myslef, and hope the problem goes away.

how many miles on your n*? (mines 72K)

Gary00SLS
01-06-04, 06:16 PM
My '00 has 103,500 miles on it. I drive mine where ever I go. I find that if you baby the thing around, it just wastes gas. Really! When the light turns green....move it out! It takes less gas to get you to 60 mph if you just get there and don't p*zzy foot it up to speed. I'm not saying smoke the tires, just get a move on. I am more fuel mileage concious having the 'avg mpg' reading starring me in the face then without it. All this rambling just means that I should have a somewhat clean 'top end'.
I think a bottle of Chevron/Techron fuel injection cleaner may be a wise decision. Besides, its cheaper than a set of plugs and wires as a first thing to change. I haven't heard anybody say anything good or bad about using it. For what it's worth, BMW recommends it for thier machines.

elwesso
01-06-04, 07:50 PM
I agree..... Give it some gas, but not too much.... Id say nothing above 4000, but around or above 3000 is primo......

Replace the plugs ANYWAY, read about posts here..... Boston97ETC's eldo had only 57k on his and he had TREMENDOUS results with new plugs, wires, and fuel filter.....

BUILDINGCTSAMG
01-06-04, 08:11 PM
Most importantly try bg44k its great stuff!

BostonETC97
01-06-04, 08:12 PM
Plugs & wires made a WORLD of difference on my car! I originally thought I just had a bad tank of gas, or maybe some heavy carbon build-up. The car would start easily, but until it was fully warmed up, the idle was terrible. My eldo never stalled out, but it was coming close. I tried running technron through the tank, I tried dry-gas, and *thought* it made a minor difference...

I eventually faced the fact that something wasn't right, and did a complete tuneup (plugs/wires/filters/throttle body cleanout). It was a new car again. The original plugs didn't look terrible, but there was some heavy tracing on the porcelin, and the wires (especially the ends leading to the plugs)looked "weak" at best.

After the tuneup, the idle is flawless, and the power & acceleration is incredible. I even noticed a huge increase in voltage - typically the car would be at 12.1 to 12.4 at idle. I'm now averaging about 13.3 at idle, and sometimes can see 14.4v when cold-started in the morning. From those observations, I'd say I must have been losing quite a few electrons from the bad wires, and the weak idle. Gas mileage has gone from 14-16mpg ave. (50-50 city/hwy driving) all the way up to 20-22mpg after the tuneup.

From what you describe, I'd start right away with a fuel filter, and plugs & wires... I bet you'll notice a huge difference.

powerglide
01-06-04, 11:40 PM
Thanks guys, I'm convinced!

I'll gamble 100 for the wires and 50 for the plugs and see what happens!

btw is the fuel filter easy to get to?