: Uh-Oh... Drivers door won't open...

eldorado99
02-14-06, 01:59 AM
I have been wrestling with that thing a lot lately (having to unlock, re-lock, unlock again multiple times to get the door to actually open when I press the door button. Now it doesnt matter how many times I press the lock and pull it back up (using keys or manually) The door button just wont do anything. I remember in my other car my inner door handle stopped working one day, so I just took off the door panel and bent the handle rod back into place. But I can't even get this door open let alone apart... My only hope is that you can see down in there pretty well from the window slot. I can even reach down in there with a little rod, or my reaching device... but I don't know whats wrong with it and both the inner and outer door handles wont open the door so I can't really fix it. I noticed sometimes the door button felt like it was maybe going to open the door if I really pulled up on the lock hard but then it would lose all force and just "go limp". Basically it feels like the button has no resistance of any type. I'm at a loss... any suggestions?

pimpin88
02-14-06, 08:49 AM
this happened to me on my 88 brougham. does it feel like the button isnt pushing against anything sometimes?

i was able to pound on the door and get the button to feel like it had something behind it. got lucky, and the door opened. after that, i took the door panel off, and right by the button is a little plastic piece that rotates. i sprayed that with some wd-40 or silicone spray and push the button tons of times to make sure it isnt sticking before you put the door panel back on

eldorado99
02-14-06, 12:11 PM
Yeah it sounds like we had the same problem, its exactly as you said, the button doesn't seem to be pushing against anything. I'm going to have to try to coax that door open this weekend I suppose :want:. Do you think I can reach this little white plastic piece with a can of WD40 through the window slot? I can see down in there pretty good...

DaveSmed
02-14-06, 05:13 PM
My car has an issue like this. How many miles are on your car? The body shop replaced my lock assembly with a higher mileage one, and it has small grooves worn into some parts (a good portion of mine looks to depend on gravity) Try grabbing the lock knob and "jackhammering" the thing back and forth with a little bit of force. Do not try the handle or button until you feel the lock pop, as it slides that gravity dependent piece back to where it gets stuck.

eldorado99
02-14-06, 08:49 PM
Well I just got back in from outside fixing this thing... yeah it is gravity dependant, seems kinda like a good design until it loses all lubrication from sitting on the praries for 25 years (93000 miles) :p... I managed to stick a small prybar down there and actuate the lever inside of the door, but I then was able to put my oil bottle with small tube nozzle down there and work in the oil by actuating it with the prybar... works like a charm now.. I hope all my other doors dont do this, I should do them while I still remember how. Thanks for the advice you guys! :)

DopeStar 156
02-14-06, 10:00 PM
Well I just got back in from outside fixing this thing... yeah it is gravity dependant, seems kinda like a good design until it loses all lubrication from sitting on the praries for 25 years (93000 miles) :p... I managed to stick a small prybar down there and actuate the lever inside of the door, but I then was able to put my oil bottle with small tube nozzle down there and work in the oil by actuating it with the prybar... works like a charm now.. I hope all my other doors dont do this, I should do them while I still remember how. Thanks for the advice you guys! :)
Definately a good idea to hit the other three doors before anything happens to them.

iNdy.j
02-15-06, 09:45 AM
You could always roll the window down, jam the door to stay shut and slide thru the window instead, like the Dukes.

pimpin88
02-15-06, 02:42 PM
hahaha. yea, i did all mine at the same time, and i had the door panels off to repair some rust so it was pretty easy