: Convince me against getting a Range Rover Sport

TaTownBacker
02-14-06, 12:36 AM
Alright so I was dead set on getting a new Lade and trading in my '03 but I thought I owed it to myself to check out a few other cars.

BMW 5 series= boring

BUT

I drove a Range Rover Sport and loved it! They had a Silver one with brushed aluminum 22's and it looked great. My major concern is that this is a much smaller truck. And although I have yet to see/drive and '07 Lade I am now thinking about this instead of the Lade. What do you guys think?

Thanks guys, you guys are always real helpful.

Ta TownBacker

hornyjuan
02-14-06, 01:30 AM
Are we talking about the supercharged version with front brembos?

TaTownBacker
02-14-06, 01:56 AM
No, the one with the 300 HP engine. The Supercharged one would be great though.

Ta TownBacker

jordan00escalade
02-14-06, 03:14 AM
Think... Comfort, Room, Power. I know it's a Rover, but how comfortable are you really inside that Mini SUV? How much room will you have to offer your family and friends now that you have this new Sporty SUV? and 300 horses>>???? Hope you don't plan on towing anything.. 2007 standard 405 horsepower. Do yourself a favor and don't think too hard on this one.. You might mess it up.

Steelhead Jess
02-14-06, 03:15 AM
and will a range rover pull a full sized boat (ok, that my not be your concern, but it is mine)

hornyjuan
02-14-06, 03:57 AM
Honestly though, the best judge is yourself. I'm sure everyone on this board will point out the lade's strong points and the sport's weak points as a Land Rover board would point out all of the sport's strong points and vice versa. I say get out there and test drive both for yourself. If it were the supercharged version then I wouldn't hesitate to reccommend that model.

slimm44
02-14-06, 08:17 AM
and 300 horses>>???? Hope you don't plan on towing anything.. 2007 standard 405 horsepower.
:bigroll: you better hope you or anyone else with an OBS Lade (or almost any 88-06 Chevy 1500 for that matter) doesn't tow anything either with your measly 255hp 5.7L. since when do you need more than 300hp to tow?

hcvone
02-14-06, 08:52 AM
If you want a little Range Rover then get one, I have an 05' Range Rover, it cost 25k more than my 03' Escalade, it's slower, does not ride as good, is not as good in the snow (that's a tire issue on the RR) and it's not as comfortable to drive. I drove a RR Sport before getting my 06' Cadillac SRX, it did not ride as good as the SRX, was not as easy to get in and out of, and costs 20k more. As I said if you want one get one, I personally can't wait to get rid of my 05', but it's a tax thing at this point. :(

Dif
02-14-06, 01:06 PM
Everyone has different tastes but the 07 Lade now has all the upgrades to compete with options on something like the RR.
My first impression when people compared the RR to the 07 Lade was ...
how can someone say they don't like the new lade because of the looks and say they would rather have the RR.
The RR looks like it should be on Safari in a jungle.
Cost more, too small, interior is nothing to get excited over.
Just my opinion but don't know how the RR can be compared to a Lade in any way.
The current model Lade options might be lacking compared to a 07 Lade or RR but an extra 20K for a RR ... I wouldn't want one.
I'm sure the RR is nice when first driven but I think the short coming in size and power will show the more a person gets used to driving it.
After almost 2 years I still can't wait to drive my Lade when I have to go somewhere and I'm looking forward to testing the 07.
Just my thoughts.
Long story short... get the Lade.

slk230mb
02-14-06, 01:08 PM
My argument - it's not a Cadillac.

Sinisterj
02-14-06, 01:15 PM
I understand your feeling! The new Range Rover im thinking would look real good where my escalade sits right now in the garage! By my 545! Im considering a trade on the escalade as well

mikeee
02-14-06, 01:24 PM
i dont even remotely understand why people are putting the rover down so hard, ESPECIALLY regarding towing! You dont need 400+ horse to tow anything. I've towed a full size boat with a old 97 yukon with 255 horse. The rover will pull ANYTHING the escalade can.

That said, the rover is not my choice. I prefer the escalade and the room it offers. Unlike the majority, Im not addicted to horsepower, I dont buy a large SUV to race it. And I bet no one is zipping thru traffic while towing. Maintenance is also alot more expensive on a rover.

Personally I would go with the escalade, but only because its suits my needs. However, anyone who puts down a rover, chances are they've never owned one or even driven one for that matter. Range is legendary.

jrs05caddyext
02-14-06, 01:49 PM
I had thought about getting one too. But I love the BIG Body look. So I stuck with the Caddy.

brett79
02-14-06, 02:13 PM
I can't convince you not to do it, i'd trade if I could. I moved to DC a little over a year ago, and I want something smaller. The RR sport would be perfect!

taylor561
02-14-06, 09:23 PM
GVWR 6769
Maximum Towing 7718
For the Range Rover Sport HSE (300hp).

2WD 05 Escalade
GVWR 6800
Maximum Towing 7400

4WD 05 Escalade
GVWR 7000
Maximum Towing 8100

It out tows the 2wd one and is right behind the AWD one, so I don't know what the heck some of you are talking about. We are very seriously considering the RR Sport because our current Escalades have a 'loose' feel, have constant rattles, and have had many little iffy problems.

mikeee
02-14-06, 10:23 PM
GVWR 6769
Maximum Towing 7718
For the Range Rover Sport HSE (300hp).

2WD 05 Escalade
GVWR 6800
Maximum Towing 7400

4WD 05 Escalade
GVWR 7000
Maximum Towing 8100

It out tows the 2wd one and is right behind the AWD one, so I don't know what the heck some of you are talking about. We are very seriously considering the RR Sport because our current Escalades have a 'loose' feel, have constant rattles, and have had many little iffy problems.Dont listen to any comments about the lack of towing abilities on the Range. It will tow whatever you need it to tow.

If youre comparing parts and installs, you better get the range, my last range was so quiet and so smooth even after years of use. The escalade (Although I love it regardless), makes exterior knocking noises that even 3 dealers cant fix, and interior parts? Dont get me started, theyre chevy parts, that says enough.

KEEP IN MIND, I love my escalade, and I fixed most of the crap that comes with it except the knocking on turns that even god doesnt seem to know where it comes from. If I were to buy another range one day, i would keep my escalade because theyre a little more roomy and theyre pretty damn fun to modify. Not to mention maintenance is cheaper.

It all comes down to your needs. You want quality inside and out... get the range. You want a damn nice looking truck with lots of horsepower and more room that you dont need, get an escalade.

OF COURSE all of us cadi owners are passionate about our cars, and the majority will simply refuse to look at facts, and the fact is that the range is a better over-all vehicle for the money. Its nice to own something not many people can, but in all honesty, the upgrades on the escalades compared to a tahoe do not justify 10's of thousands of dollars. It JUST DOESNT. My money was all around me when I was inside the Range. In my escalade I look around and say, damn, this is a nice truck but where did they put all my money? Its in that Cadi badge on your grill.

Falkolade
02-14-06, 10:29 PM
i never use my third row so i would consider a small suv if it was hot... the range rover sport is hot, no doubt about that. What i don't like about the sport is, it doesn't have that in your face escalade apperance... After driving a range rover hse, i think they are over-rated... I'll stick with the caddy trucks for the time being

hornyjuan
02-15-06, 04:02 AM
You guys keep saying how the RR is 20k over a Lade. Were talking about the RR Sport which MSRP is $57k vs the 07 Lade at $57k as well. The RR's interior is definetly a class above the RR sport so you can't really compare the two. The RR sport definetly has a sportier look vs the Escalades bold and classier look. So it all depends on what your looking for.

hcvone
02-15-06, 08:59 AM
I said the Sport was 20k more than my new SRX, I also said that the regular Range Rover (I have a white 05') was 25k more than my 03' Escalade, I know this because I paid 25k more. :(

Falkolade
02-15-06, 06:23 PM
I said the Sport was 20k more than my new SRX, I also said that the regular Range Rover (I have a white 05') was 25k more than my 03' Escalade, I know this because I paid 25k more. :(

you got a range too... thats sweet... you should list in on the thingy with all your other rides, b/c i did not know you had one..

hcvone
02-15-06, 06:30 PM
you got a range too... thats sweet... you should list in on the thingy with all your other rides, b/c i did not know you had one..

Can't keep up with the changing cars on my web site, hope to have the new site up soon. :)

fast66
02-16-06, 05:02 AM
Get the range rover!

RaGzEmCeE
02-16-06, 05:14 AM
im not gonna convince you not to get one because its not a bad choice in my opinion ....

if your concern is really towing of course its not going to do the job ... but looks wise its a nicer car (then the new escalade coming) and it has a better name and i guarantee you it has a better ride to it .... better handling, nicer interior, and a lot more ... to whoever said that the escalade has a better ride then the range rover you must be out of your mind .... i will guarantee you that a range rover on 22's will ride better then a stock escalade ... a range sport vs an escalade is a hard decision ... but a range rover vs an escalade hadns down the the range rover ... one of the nicest interiors in any car out now, handles better then most cars do, much smoother then 99.9% of cars out today .... so many better things .... and i know im going to get so much shit for this but who caaaaaaares ... i love my car but im honest

fast66
02-16-06, 05:54 AM
im not gonna convince you not to get one because its not a bad choice in my opinion ....

if your concern is really towing of course its not going to do the job ... but looks wise its a nicer car (then the new escalade coming) and it has a better name and i guarantee you it has a better ride to it .... better handling, nicer interior, and a lot more ... to whoever said that the escalade has a better ride then the range rover you must be out of your mind .... i will guarantee you that a range rover on 22's will ride better then a stock escalade ... a range sport vs an escalade is a hard decision ... but a range rover vs an escalade hadns down the the range rover ... one of the nicest interiors in any car out now, handles better then most cars do, much smoother then 99.9% of cars out today .... so many better things .... and i know im going to get so much shit for this but who caaaaaaares ... i love my car but im honest
this is true, my range on 23's rides 10x better than my ext on 24's

mikeee
02-16-06, 12:44 PM

if your concern is really towing of course its not going to do the job ... but looks wise its a nicer car (then the new escalade coming) and it has a better name and i guarantee you it has a better ride to it .... better handling, nicer interior, and a lot more ... to whoever said that the escalade has a better ride then the range rover you must be out of your mind .... i will guarantee you that a range rover on 22's will ride better then a stock escalade ... a range sport vs an escalade is a hard decision ... but a range rover vs an escalade hadns down the the range rover ... one of the nicest interiors in any car out now, handles better then most cars do, much smoother then 99.9% of cars out today .... so many better things .... and i know im going to get so much shit for this but who caaaaaaares ... i love my car but im honestPlease show me a statistic where clearly it states the Rover cannot tow what most SUV can. I'd love to see it.

mikeee
02-16-06, 12:47 PM
Actually Im just gonna leave this thread alone. Its starting to frustrate me. Why people say things they have absaloutly no idea about, is beyond me. Dont knock it if you havent owned it.

Dooman
02-16-06, 01:02 PM
I haven't even drive either one before, but seems you have the means to own each. I like the Range Rover. Remember, it's only a vehicle.. If you leave the house every day wanting something else, trade. My opinion.. We marry the girls, not the cars.. You need to let go sometimes..

TaTownBacker
02-16-06, 01:07 PM
By own each, do you mean own each vehicle at once? I wish I had those means. I am buying one or the other. Here are some pics of the Range Rover Sport I am looking at.

What do you guys think?

Ta TownBacker

jrs05caddyext
02-16-06, 01:19 PM
By own each, do you mean own each vehicle at once? I wish I had those means. I am buying one or the other. Here are some pics of the Range Rover Sport I am looking at.

What do you guys think?

Ta TownBacker

I wish I had both EXT and Rover too. Thats nice.

05 Cadillac Escalade
02-16-06, 02:53 PM
I like it. I think it looks really nice and sporty. Is this really what you want to do though? Think it through.

Thanks.

Dif
02-16-06, 04:30 PM
The subject does seem to be getting a bit distorted but I also think there's a big difference in the 2 vehicles being compared here.
My previous post on the subject may have been a bit harsh towards the Land Rover but I don't see the comparison except they are both Luxury vehicles.
It's more a personal choice between a full size Luxury vehicle and Sporty Luxury vehicle.
I might give the edge to the Rover for quality of Luxury in comparison to a GM product but.. the final decision would be what the owner wants in a vehicle for size and capabilities.
I prefer a larger vehicle.
I've looked at the Rover and... if... it was on the same scale in size as an Escalade I would consider it more ... but that's just me.
Whether one is better than the other is a personal choice in what you want or like in a vehicle.
My preference ... I'd go for the bigger vehicle.
I do think the Lade is just way better looking but can't say it makes one better than the other.. just what I like.

Falkolade
02-16-06, 07:02 PM
I like those rims on the rover... very sporty... doesn't have the street presence of the caddy truck though

jordan00escalade
02-16-06, 11:28 PM
lol.. I really didn't mean to have my "Towing" remark taken that far out of context. I apologize people are catching feelings about what I said, and now their so mad they don't want to touch the topic. lol.. I was just trying to say that it has more power.. 405 vs 300, it's a no brainer. I'm almost sure that the Escalade would be able to tow more with this vast advantage in horse power. It ain't that serious.. I was just trying to convice the man, didn't mean to turn you on..lol No Pun Intended.. still laughing, you guys should take it easy on the sugar.

brett79
02-17-06, 02:21 AM
All you need to do is listen to this song!

Move over, Range Rover
Im coming in this b!_ch much colder
In chromed out shagged out Escalade
With the bass turned up sitting peanut butter suede

Dooman
02-17-06, 12:54 PM

What do you guys think?

Ta TownBacker

I did word that wrong. I meant seems you could own either one., not at once.. I'd do the Rover myself.. Just sat next to one at a light, it does bring a presence you don't get from the Escalade anymore..

Cadillacboy
02-17-06, 02:16 PM
Ok, RR is very brilliant too but I recommend you to keep having 'Lade and just wait new model ;) . It'll be worth to it :D

Cadillacboy
02-17-06, 02:17 PM
Ok, RR is very brilliant too but I recommend you to keep having 'Lade and just wait new model ;) . It'll be worth to it :D

manny5700
02-18-06, 02:05 PM
My argument - it's not a Cadillac.

nuff said! :thumbsup:

rxis
04-13-06, 11:37 PM
I choose the top of the line Range Rover for the city. It's just freakin cool.:bouncy:
RR sport vs. escalade is a different story
I'd choose the Escalade because just fits my needs better and it looks much nicer anyway. My main reason for an SUV is for those long American road trips with my family and so the bigger the better.

I dont own an Excalade just yet but I'm about to purchase one within a month. Getting rid of an RX300 because I want more room.

oh yea heres something retarded.
I get no respect driving into the dealorships in our family spare car but when I drove my Lexus I suddenly went from a poor looker into a real buyer. Perceptions....:thepan:...you would think an adult would know better than to judge one's income level by appearances.

RCJFC888
04-14-06, 02:40 AM
I was having the same dilemma you were having betwween a Range Rover and a Escalade. I was thinking of picking up a Range Rover Sport before when it first came out, my wife really wanted it because she thought it was the best looking suv on the market. It was the only suv she wanted she didn't want to settle for anything else. So when it came out we went to test drive one and before we even got out of the lot she said she didn't want it anymore because it was to small and the interior wasn't as nice as she thought, it was exactly like the LR3 and she didn't like that interior at all. So we got into a Range Rover and test drove that and she decided she wanted that instead because it was much bigger and she liked the interior more because it was more luxurious. At the time we were in the middle of purchasing our house so we didn't want to put anything else on our credit until we closed. While we were waiting to close on our house pictures of the 07 Escalade started hitting the internet and I asked her if she liked the Escalade. I was more interested in the Escalade than the Range Rover because of the features, the horsepower, the six speed tiptronic tranny, remote start, power lift gate, back up camera, power second row, and the third row seating. The Escalade had way more features than Range Rover even offers standard or optional. She looked at the Escalade and said no way she still wanted the Range Rover. Somehow I convinced her to wait until the Escalade came out so at least we could test drive one so we would know that we weren't missing out. The first weekend the Escalade came out we went to the dealer and test drove it. Now we have a 07 Escalade in the garage. If I were you I would go test drive the Range Rover your thinkling about and then immediately go test drive the Escalade and then make your decision. I think you will find like I did that the Escalade interior is a lot nicer and more luxurious than any Range Rover and the power is incrediable. In this months Motor Trend they have The King of Bling Article which puts the supercharged Range Rover up against the 07 Escalade in a test of bling and performance. The winner the 07 Escalade .2 seconds faster from 0-60 and .2 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile with a 3 mph higher trap speed all this for 25k less. Both vehicles are nice but only you can make the decision of whats right for you, I think what ever you get you"ll be happy with. Good luck with your suv shopping. :)

TaTownBacker
04-14-06, 03:27 AM
RCJFC888 and others,

Thanks fellas. I still have not decided what I am getting. Basically I like the looks of the Range Rover Sport a bit better, but I felt like a metrosexual when I drove it. Either way I think I will be happy. The next step in my life is to make enough money where I can buy both.:)

Ta TownBacker

Uria702
04-14-06, 10:36 AM
Dont listen to any comments about the lack of towing abilities on the Range. It will tow whatever you need it to tow.

If youre comparing parts and installs, you better get the range, my last range was so quiet and so smooth even after years of use. The escalade (Although I love it regardless), makes exterior knocking noises that even 3 dealers cant fix, and interior parts? Dont get me started, theyre chevy parts, that says enough.

KEEP IN MIND, I love my escalade, and I fixed most of the crap that comes with it except the knocking on turns that even god doesnt seem to know where it comes from. If I were to buy another range one day, i would keep my escalade because theyre a little more roomy and theyre pretty damn fun to modify. Not to mention maintenance is cheaper.

It all comes down to your needs. You want quality inside and out... get the range. You want a damn nice looking truck with lots of horsepower and more room that you dont need, get an escalade.

OF COURSE all of us cadi owners are passionate about our cars, and the majority will simply refuse to look at facts, and the fact is that the range is a better over-all vehicle for the money. Its nice to own something not many people can, but in all honesty, the upgrades on the escalades compared to a tahoe do not justify 10's of thousands of dollars. It JUST DOESNT. My money was all around me when I was inside the Range. In my escalade I look around and say, damn, this is a nice truck but where did they put all my money? Its in that Cadi badge on your grill.

smartest person on this board by far, why would you pick a escalade, a tahoe with cadillac emblems over a range rover sport, the range rover is world renowned, the people here who say go with the escalade over the range are just biast against the range rover due to the fact that they are all cadillac owners. ask around any dealer, the range is quieter, smoother, much more reliable and definately more bang for the buck. it will tow anything the escalade will tow, as mentioned earlier by numerous board members.
i would go for the sport, a very cool automobile.

hcvone
04-14-06, 12:11 PM
smartest person on this board by far, why would you pick a escalade, a tahoe with cadillac emblems over a range rover sport, the range rover is world renowned, the people here who say go with the escalade over the range are just biast against the range rover due to the fact that they are all cadillac owners. ask around any dealer, the range is quieter, smoother, much more reliable and definately more bang for the buck. it will tow anything the escalade will tow, as mentioned earlier by numerous board members.

I have one of each, my Range Rover cost 20k more than my Escalade, other than that my Escalade beats my RR in everyway, it's faster, more powerful, more comfortable, better ride, better looks (in my opinion)

a tahoe with cadillac emblems ROTFLMAO

RCJFC888
04-14-06, 03:43 PM

It is true the Range Rover is world renowned but more reliable I don't know about that one Range Rovers are notorious for having suspension and engine problems. I don't know about the new one for 06 because they switched over to a Jaguar (ford) engine from a BMW engine but I know alot of people had problems with the BMW engine. In the feature department you might want to look at the 07 Escalade features and spes a lot different from the earlier years and a lot different from the Range Rover. I had a 2002 Escalade and I liked it a lot but if you compare that to a Range Rover there is a big difference I would say the Range has more features but it also came out after the Escalade. Now you jump to the 07 Escalade and the tables are turned until Range comes out with a new updated model. The Range is a very nice car and so is the Escalade either one will make you happy.:)

Surfer-Dude
04-14-06, 03:47 PM
Gotta say, buddy at office just picked up the Range Rover Sport (non s/c). Drives very nice, he has the 20" wheels from the s/c package and it rides much, much smoother then his Escalade did. Escalade is smooth but in a trucky way. The Rovers feel more like a European Import car in terms of feel and comfort. I like it, we tried talking him into the s/c version but he didn't care for speed lol. There's another guy at our office with a Sport S/C in that orange color, it's quick but nothing like a say a Cayenne TT, just a smooth, strong delivery of power.

hvcone - tried emailing you before but couldn't b/c of post count, pry going to buy an 02-03 M5 soon, CPO'd. Already planning mods lol, headers, custom exhaust etc. Going nutz w/o a manual trans car right now, and always like the e39' M5's.

hcvone
04-14-06, 04:37 PM
M5 is a great car, super performance with 4 doors. I am looking to replace my M5 with an M6. :)

Matt2105
04-14-06, 07:02 PM
Horsepower isnt what makes a car great for towing. It's torque. Stop comparing hp!

07slade
04-15-06, 03:39 AM
yea check out that motor trend article! great comparo, I might just go test drive that range rover tomorrow (oops did I say that out loud??).

mallettv
04-15-06, 11:57 AM
Its half ford/half jaquar so that says crap. Its tiny not that wide. Slow. The rear headrest's dig into your back because they are so low that they dont even hit your head just your back. The range is just pure crap. Always has always will. The escalade will always be the king. Period

Alexs EXT
04-18-06, 06:51 AM
My friends girlfriend (16) has the Supercharged version, and pretty much hates it whereas he loves it. They do complain about the space sometimes, but have had no problems towing his boat. The only problem they had is when the altenator (sp?) almost fell off resulting in the truck being towed to Miami for a couple weeks to be fixed.