: diff fluid change

sharky1
02-13-06, 09:52 PM
im closing in on 3k miles and thinking I may want to change the diff fluid, would prefer to have dealer do it, in case its full of metal frags, but don't want to take it in with the lingenfelter cai on....then again, why should they be under the hood? I'd insist on being there, watching...thoughts?

DILLIGAF
02-13-06, 10:35 PM
You're paranoid,why not be upfront with them?My dealer installed my maggie for me and are very aware of how I drive the car.If my car is doing something goofy I insist they drive it hard and see whats wrong.Take a bottle in,keep it on the low-down,grease the wheels at the dealership.Make a friend,establish a relationship.Be nice,see where that gets you.If they f you around,then get even.

DILLIGAF
02-13-06, 10:41 PM
Another option,follow the excellent instructions in the faq and save a 150 bucks.I asked my dealer about changing the diff fluid again,It was done at 3000 miles and now i'm at 26000 miles,don't waste the money.I've put 200,000 miles on trucks and never changed the diff fluid.

CIWS
02-13-06, 10:44 PM
Is there a real need to have it changed at 3000 miles ? I just had mine in at 3K and did oil/filter and tire rotation.

erp2863
02-14-06, 12:00 AM
Unless you are tracking the car or planning on keeping it past the 48/50k mark, why do this? I haven't checked in the manual yet, but I'm sure the Caddy recommended interval is somewhere over 30k miles.

Of course this is easy for me to say since I'm leasing the car for the exact same period as the warranty, so anything that goes wrong is GM's problem, not mine.

Closer_2001
02-14-06, 12:22 AM
Of course this is easy for me to say since I'm leasing the car for the exact same period as the warranty, so anything that goes wrong is GM's problem, not mine.

Until you find the car sits at the dealer more than you drive it...and you figure you are paying $5-6-7 Hundred a month to drive a POS rental car.

I vote for any maintenance that keeps the diff healthy.

wildwhl
02-14-06, 01:45 AM
Swapping diff fluid is easy, inexpensive, and great peace of mind. You'll be amazed how bad it looks with 3K miles on the clock.

YMMV

calicadi
02-14-06, 01:57 AM
This is what it looked like at 8100 when I changed it. Haven't had it on a track....yet. (That'll come this year.) Last year I autocrossed a whole season (14 events).

That stock fluid was probably good for thousands more miles. But I sleep pretty good knowing it running on nice clean Redline 75W90 now.

PneuBird
02-14-06, 02:17 AM
I had the dealership swap the diff fluid at 7000 miles and it had so much metal in it they ordered me a new diff. I changed the diff fluid in the second diff at 14000 miles and there was a noticeable improvement in metal shavings in the fluid and on the plug. I just changed the diff fluid again at 26000 miles and no noticeable metal in the fluid or a burnt smell, so I guess I've got myself a good diff for the monent.:bigroll: Anyway, as they say "Clean Fluid is Happy Fluid!" :bouncy:

erp2863
02-14-06, 03:00 AM
Until you find the car sits at the dealer more than you drive it...and you figure you are paying $5-6-7 Hundred a month to drive a POS rental car.

I vote for any maintenance that keeps the diff healthy.

I actually do put more miles on rental cars than I do my V, except my V is parked in my garage when I'm gone and runs great when I do drive it. And the 2x I've had her in for service I had a brand new SRX and an Escalade for a rental. Both wouldn't be considered a POS.

As far as I can tell, the people that change the diff fluid early aren't at any significant advantage of the rear not exploding than those that don't. I've got 7500 miles on mine and it doesn't even whine yet.

sharky1
02-14-06, 11:56 AM
this is my thought process, same as pnebird....I have some whine, and if it is full of metal, this should support my demand they replace the diff, and I get the new 06 diff...

diverdan
02-14-06, 12:50 PM
I'm new to the whine things, so could someone explain what I should be listening for?

I noticed on the '05 I just bought that in 6th gear under any throttle application there is an increased low frequency noise that appears to be coming from the rear of the car with maybe just a hint of vibration. This appears to occur regardless of RPM and speed and also appears to only occur in 6th gear. It's not really loud but I notice it. Anyone have experience with this or have heard of a similar occurance?

It is my intention to put Amsoil in the diff and tranny when I can get around to it. This time I will pay the local garage to do it considering the mess I made doing it at home with my Z06 and GTO:D .

John

2004ctsv
02-14-06, 01:43 PM
I haven't had any problems with the diff so far, knock on wood.

I take my car to a road circuit several times a year and she gets ridden real hard but not put away wet.

I changed the diff fluid after the second one day run in the summer of 04. About 2000 miles on the car then. I noticed some discoloration but not much in the way of metal. There was a little metal caught when I put it through a filter but it was very fine.

I'll change it again this summer after the next track day.

It's pretty easy to change the diff fluid - just follow instructions on FAQ.

Tony

I'll

Barak
02-14-06, 03:26 PM
I noticed on the '05 I just bought that in 6th gear under any throttle application there is an increased low frequency noise that appears to be coming from the rear of the car with maybe just a hint of vibration. This appears to occur regardless of RPM and speed and also appears to only occur in 6th gear. It's not really loud but I notice it. Anyone have experience with this or have heard of a similar occurance?

I get the same thing except mine sounds like it's coming from the transmission. It happens in 6th gear only but only at speeds below 60. There is a preliminary info bulletin regarding this issue. The dealer took a look at it and claimed that they'd fixed it by indexing the driveshaft, but it is still the same. Doesn't really bother me though.

Dreamin
02-14-06, 03:55 PM

I've got this... didn't bother my either. It went away when I changed from Runflats to my GY's. This is not the "whine". You'll know when you're whining, mid to high frequency, starts quietly but can get very loud (louder than radio) over time. Under slight power, in the 40-50mpg range.

Dreamin
02-14-06, 04:00 PM
im closing in on 3k miles and thinking I may want to change the diff fluid, would prefer to have dealer do it, in case its full of metal frags, but don't want to take it in with the lingenfelter cai on....then again, why should they be under the hood? I'd insist on being there, watching...thoughts?

I change mine every 5K miles, or 2 track events, whichever comes first.

I'm the super-paranoid type (and have nothing but d**khead dealers around here)... so I'd spend the hour or two and take the CAI off. (If you're not going to do it yourself)

And dealers are normally very shy and conservative... they wont let you watch when they're doing it... they'll come up with some lame reason, like "insurance wont let us".

CIWS
02-18-06, 11:23 AM
Put the V in yesterday morning at 7:30 when service opened to have them change the read Diff fluid and also check on a "momentary" yellow check engine light I saw the day before. It came on while driving to lunch, but when I got back in the car and started it up it went out right away and never came back on. Results ?..

Fluid was changed and "Completed TK10176 Fluid had small amount of metal on Magnet on plug & Fluid looked normal"

Check engine light - "Code P0140 Needs Bank 1 Sensor 2 o2 Sensor. Cust to return for repair"

That's because the Frackers at the dealership had the car for 7 hours before they called me to tell me they needed to replace the o2 sensor, but didn't have the part there and was sending someone to get it. I get there 20 min later to get the car and the person had not even got back yet with the part, so I told them to put my car back together and it would be done later. Now WTF were they doing all fracking day that they didn't run a quick diagnostic to see they needed a sensor that they didn't have in stock ? 2 hours of maintenance turned into 7.5 hours and they still didn't get finished........

Is it just me here ?

urbanski
02-18-06, 11:30 AM
meh....that's pretty normal CIWS.
i love my dealer but it took them 2 full days to check where my radiator was leaking from (and I showed them exactly which hose was leaking) :p

CIWS
02-18-06, 12:33 PM
Well I would have to try and be fair here. It's the second visit to them for work on the car and the first one was fine and done well as far as the time told it would take and being finished (oil/filter and tire rotation). However I dealt with two different service reps so far, so I'll go back and deal with the first guy when I take it back and see how that fairs. IMO the rep should have called me about the sensor issue, wanting to go ahead and replace it but not having the part in stock, and that it could mean having to keep the car past the time I told them I got off of work vs just going ahead with the whole deal. I was hoping one of the Lindsay folks would chime in and tell me if they felt I'm being unreasonable in this. I'm certainly ignorant of being a Cadillac service tech, but I deal in and with customer service related issues every day in my job as a tech.