: Closing in on my CTS-V replacement

Skeeter
02-13-06, 08:29 PM
Hey all,

Recall that I had the misfortune of totalling my '05 before reaching 4k miles on the clock. Bad hydroplaning in a crazy rainstorm here in Norcal...

Esurance.com treated me extremely well and gave me ~$45k in replacement $. I was torn whether to 1)get a new or used CTS-V, 2)get a used Maserati coupe, or 3)get an E55 AMG.

Looks like door #3 is going to win. I'm in the final negotiation on a used 2005 with less than 5k miles. ~$60k! Amazing.

I'll sorely miss the UUC shifter and the exhaust note on the Caddy. And I'll give a friendly nod to all my CTS-V buddies that I see on the road here in the Bay Area. Keep an eye out for a Raven black E55!

I tried to get the wrecked car from the insurance company to help some folk on the board who wanted parts or the whole thing. But it didnt' work out, the insurance co. was a PITA on this issue and I just didn't have the time to slog through the details. Apologies. But know that there's a junked cherry Platinum '05 somewhere up here with a UUC shifter with a massive stainless shift knob on it.

Skeeter

homer403
02-13-06, 10:50 PM
Sadly to say, I too would get the E55. That is one hell of a car. But being a former Mercedes AMG owner (prior to the CTS-V)... do yourself a favor a get some kind of reliable extended warranty. You will have major electrical issues. Enjoy.

ace996
02-13-06, 10:58 PM
An E55 over a Maserati.....WHAT!!!!! Dude, do the MASERATI....its beautiful....and manual. E55, if manual tranny would be a tough choice, but the Italian Passion is a flavor enjoyed by the lucky few....
This from a Ducati pilot....FWIW.
-ace

Skeeter
02-14-06, 12:01 AM
Ace, you are killing me :)

Not an easy call. And not too late to change my mind... ARGH!

The Benz being an automatic is a partial blessing. This is gonna be my daily driver and the commute across the bay bridge is among the worst in the country. Having a manual (in the CTS-V) was nice on weekends, but punishment day to day. The notion of having 500 lb-ft on tap makes the means of gear selection a bit less pressing.

Homer, good to know. I'm probably gonna lease anyway, since my income is, shall we say, highly variable. Could be that an AMG is going to be sub-standard in three years, or it could be that it'll be the nicest car I can ever afford. Life and its curves...

But I really miss the CTS-V. What a car! I'm still just a hair from reversing all my research and just getting myself another. I still have a high-quality cover, a set of pedals to bolt-in, and a few other tidbits that never made it into the Caddy before she wrecked.

Oh, and I wonder which will be more costly to insure... The E55, the Mas, or the Caddy.
Skeeter

ctsvinman
02-14-06, 12:26 AM
Come on.... $60k for an 05 AMG with 5k miles on it..... either you had too many cocktails :alchi: when you started this thread, or you wore a Ski Mask and had your index finger pointing out of your pocket like it was a gun during your negotiation......:histeric:

Nice going!

ace996
02-14-06, 12:35 AM
If money is an issue, a lightly used '05 V for mid-30s is the deal of deals. With decent financing, you're looking at a lower payment to buy than a lease for the E55...something to think about.

I hear you about traffic, on Long Island, NY, there's only a few roads to get east-west and south-north...and all of them are insane, but I couldn't drive an auto tranny....the lack of fun and control would be worse than the benefit of the auto in traffic. All posturing aside...you can't be buying/leasing either of the 3 aforementioned vehicles for "traffic conditions"...are you? I don't think the E, Maserati, or V is the "correct" car for traffic management. They are cars for the passionate, the bold, the "Living"....you know what I'm saying.

I can understand any of the choices....but couldn't even comprehend what a track-day in the Maserati must be like....or a run in town with that echo bouncing off the buildings. There are better vehicles at tracks/strips/bumpy roads and traffic, but something about that car pulls on one's soul. That car would probably be "the other woman" in my life, perhaps more so than my bike. It has a drop-dead gorgeous interior, an absolutely sexy body, and an exhaust wail that would be heard in dreams....
Lastly, how many German cars do you see on your commute? How many American cars? You dig???? It's a f'king Maserati, dude....a Mas-er-fkucing-rati!!!!!!
Good luck, either way you'll be happy....but I bet one will always be on your mind.....

Remember, it's the things we don't do that we regret the most....
http://www.maserati.com/jsp/ccMy05_co/esterni.jsp?allestimento=gt&BV_SessionID=@@@@0940072428.1139891817@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccaddgmimghmgcefeceegdgimdfmf.0

Volare senz ali...(To Fly Without Wings),
ace996

Blacksport350
02-14-06, 09:19 AM
Some advice, stick with the AMG, especially if you can get a good price. The E55 isn't the best handeling AMG but is gorgeous inside and out and is fast as stink. Also, if you drive it hard, it will not let you down. We have owned 3 AMGs and driven them all hard all the time with no service issues related to driving style. Best thing about the AMG is that a novice can get 100% out of the car all the time with the AMG Speedshift tranny and an experienced driver can shift it manually and run road courses fast enough to leave modded GTO's behind.

As to the Maserati...having owned a Ferrari, I would never consider the Maserati for daily transportation unless you want get a wakeup call on the true meaning of high service costs and number of visits in a year. This being said, I love the Maserati and would/will by one as a toy in the future.

gothicaleigh
02-14-06, 12:06 PM
The AMG is probably your best choice. I know I would jump on one at that price if I could afford it.

<rubs eyes> What is with the font though?
We understand you're excited, but your point would be carried across just as well with the default settings. Probably moreso because we wouldn't have to question your ability to communicate on the internet.

SoCadillac
02-14-06, 12:41 PM
It almost sounds like you are happy to rid yourself of your V. If I had a car with only 4K miles on it that I liked, I would replace it with the same car. I would rid the next one of the runflats, but I would purchase another V, a used V for a great deal and place the remaining funds into investments.

Davidstan
02-14-06, 12:49 PM
It almost sounds like you are happy to rid yourself of your V. If I had a car with only 4K miles on it that I liked, I would replace it with the same car. I would rid the next one of the runflats, but I would purchase another V, a used V for a great deal and place the remaining funds into investments.

:yeah:

Dave-V
02-14-06, 03:15 PM
Great price. It should bring 63-66K at auction. Is this private party or from a dealer? Regardless, it is a great buy. Congrats.

Come on.... $60k for an 05 AMG with 5k miles on it..... either you had too many cocktails :alchi: when you started this thread, or you wore a Ski Mask and had your index finger pointing out of your pocket like it was a gun during your negotiation......:histeric:

Nice going!

Dreamin
02-14-06, 04:36 PM
You dig???? It's a f'king Maserati, dude....a Mas-er-fkucing-rati!!!!!!

Ace... slowly step away from the ledge... it's just a car... it'll be ok man...

SoCadillac
02-14-06, 04:40 PM
You dig???? It's a f'king Maserati, dude....a Mas-er-fkucing-rati!!!!!!
Yeah and it's f'king ugly man. I don't care if it has a Ferrari engine in it--it's ugly! F'king ugly!

VELOSE
02-14-06, 06:43 PM
Plus, I heard maintenance on a Maserati is just horribly expensive like a Ferrari as well.

Skeeter, stick with the AMG or a used 05 V. I hate to say it but, you can also opt for a SRT8 if you are looking for automatic. Good luck in whatever you do.

Skeeter
02-15-06, 09:13 PM
Oh, sorry 'bout the font thing. Accidentally called up the font size menu, and '8' seemed like a conservative choice. No inflection intended.

No, I really loved the 'V' and will miss her regardless of what I get. The few accessories lying around will need to be given away also, so once I have the new car, I'll look to donate a really expensive car cover and set of pedal covers to a fellow norcal V afficianado.

The call to not replace it has more to do with the fact that 1) I have a hard time getting back in/on a car that I've been in a serious accident in (happened on a motorcycle years ago also), 2) I've already owned a V, and always suffer wanderlust with cars, and 3) Finances have picked up enough to be able to swing an extra $10k-$20k without sweating it too much.

But no mistake, I'm still torn over hooking up with a used '05, slapping on some better tires and another UUC shifter and being happy again. Never a bad option :)

Thanks for the advice, the AMG is all but done. Though I'm fretting routine maintenance. How much will a break job cost on one of these beasts?! Sounds like routine maintenace might hurt more than on the V...

Skeeter