: My dilemma

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-13-06, 02:52 PM
Alright so I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

Keep the job or keep the car? Or save money some other way?

I have a great job, I'm a parts cashier at a Nissan dealership, its great, I dont have a ton of work, and the work I do is all paper work, and I work in a great environment. It's a nice office type environment, and all my co workers are nice to me and respect for me. They are all great people, and I can really see a lot of growth opportunity in this job, it would be easy for me to go into sales, or I could be come a service advisor, or a parts assistant. Anyways, I dont really get enough hours here to have money for savings and whatnot. During the summer, I'm gonna get another job so I can get full time hours to save up for that Continental I want.

The problem is, I work 13 miles away from home and my car averages 13-14MPG in winter. That means on the way to and back from work, I'm almost going through two gallons of premium gas. Plus I drive about 16 miles back and forth to school. So in a day where I have class and work, im almost running through 3 gallons of gas, plus all those little trips I take. My gas is usually gone by the 5th day of the week. This means I have to keep throwing in small amounts to keep me going, and some weeks, I dont make enough money to do this. So basically, this car is putting me in debt. Plus, college is quite expensive, and I wanna move in with my friends in fall of '07 in an apartment.

Now I tried to sell it last winter, but dealerships do not want a 14 year old Caddy, especially if it was in very nice condition like mine was. Now after that accident I got in last december, its not looking so well. My plan is to fix that up this spring or summer, and ask my dad if I can sell it. If he says yes, I'll possibly put her for sale on the internet for the BB value, and see if I can get any looks or action. If I sell it, the good thing is I can get a cheap, more economical car. I'm thinking Oldsmobile Ninety Eight with the 3800 or a early '90s Nissan Maxima with that most excellent 3.0 V6. They're both cheap, decently luxurious, and well return 21-24 MPG city, and 28-33 on the freeway. The nice thing about the Ninety Eight is its almost like the Cadillac for options and amenities and the luxury factor, but it's much cheaper, and much more fuel efficent. But it's another "old person's car" and survey says it's quite ugly. The nice thing about the Maxima is that it's quite sporty, and it's handsome in a monotonus way, and its much simpler than the Ninety Eight or deVille. But it's lacking in features, and the seats suck, from what I remember of my friends' 93 Maxima SE.

So basically, the reason I would sell my beloved deville is for financial reasons, unlike the Roadmaster, where I just got sick of it.

What would you do?

elwesso
02-13-06, 03:07 PM
YOu just have to think..... Lets say, over a course of a year, would it be cheaper to pay for a 13MPG car in gas, or would it be cheaper to sell this car, which you have put money into, then buy another car..?

My suggestion might be to tune the car up so it gets up to like 17MPG which i think is decent..... :) I just dont think its going to be real economical to take a hit on selling the caddy, and then turning around and buying another car, even if it gets 10mpg more.

Lets do some math.... Assuming you drive 12,000 miles a year, and you get an average of 13 MPG, you will require 923 gallons of gas, give or take. At $2.50/gal, thats about 2 grand per year on gasoline, or $44 a week, whihc is likely about what your paying...

Now, if your car averages 23MPG, youll require 521 gallons. $1300 per year on gas, or $25 per week..

But then you have to factor in buying a car, and on a used car always factor on putting in $500 into maintenance right off the bat... Assuming you sell the caddy and pay exactly the same amount for a new car that you sold it for, that $500 will put you close to the amount if you wouldnt have sold the car in the first place...

I think you can see where this is going.

gdwriter
02-13-06, 04:49 PM
I think elwesso makes some good points. How long has it been since Josephine had a tuneup? Is that 13 MPG in town or a mix? This winter, I've been averaging between 16-17 with Cruella in a mix of highway and city driving. I had a tuneup with new plugs, wires, cap, rotor and fuel filter right after I bought her in July. I have noticed a drop in mileage in colder weather, and since you're in MinneSNOWta, I'm not surprised that yours is lower. You might also check your tire pressure and bump it up to 35-36 psi if your tires are rated for it.

Like elwesso points out, you may not save that much money depending on what you could sell Josephine for and what you'd pay for another car. And he's dead on about maintenance and repairs. Since you've had Josephine for a year now, you know what the car's issues are, what you've fixed and what you may need to. With another older car, it's basically a crap shoot; you could find a cream puff or a lemon.

I've also had concerns about gas mileage, since I'm still paying around $2.25/gal. for premium and spending around $45 a week on gas. But I've invested money in repairs to Cruella, I really like the car, and who knows what new problems I might encounter with another car.

All things considered, I would hang on to Josephine and do what you can to improve her gas mileage. No more racing—and beating—ricers, though; that WOT sucks down gas like a B-52.

Definitely don't let the cost of gas send you looking elsewhere for a job. I know from experience how hard it can be to find a good job and a good work environment like what you've described. Any opportunities for you to carpool to work or school? Eat less fast food, use fewer cell phone minutes, etc. There are plenty of areas where you can economize (voice of experience speaking here).

Hope this helps.

elwesso
02-13-06, 04:54 PM
ONe thing I forgot to mention..

in the wintera worn T stat will cause the car to run too cold.. the seal around the T stat will allow extra coolant to come in and cause the car to run too cold... thus the car will run richer than normal.. on the Q45s, most that dont have Tstat replaced recently wont reach operating temp (174F).. I also notice that my MPG drops from about 20 highway to about 17.5 during the winter... i hvae not replaced my Tstat recently...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-13-06, 04:55 PM
Well thanks guys!

I havent done a full tune up yet, but I did plugs last summer, and wow what a PITA! I'll check into the rest of the tune up, see how much it costs. The nice thing is, I work in a dealership, so I could have them do it if my dad or uncle (ex chevy mechanic) doesnt wanna do it. I get charged half the normal cost for labor ($50 an hour) plus, they could get it done in one day, while im working.

gdwriter
02-13-06, 05:01 PM
I havent done a full tune up yet, but I did plugs last summer, and wow what a PITA! I'll check into the rest of the tune up, see how much it costs. The nice thing is, I work in a dealership, so I could have them do it if my dad or uncle (ex chevy mechanic) doesnt wanna do it. I get charged half the normal cost for labor ($50 an hour) plus, they could get it done in one day, while im working.

Money well spent. I have had very good results with the Bosch platinum plugs. I could definitely tell a difference with Betty. And I think her mileage improved a bit.

Elwesso is right about the thermostat, too. I put in a new one when I replaced the coolant last fall. If you're getting good heat, your thermostat is probably fine, but they're cheap and an easy replacement.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-13-06, 05:03 PM
My heat is great, no worries there :)

EcSTSatic
02-13-06, 05:06 PM
In summary, we're all "stuck" with our less than optimal gas usage because car payments on a thriftier car will cancel out any savings in fuel usage.

Car pooling was suggested. It's too cold to ride a bike to work really - I did it last summer. Any convenient bus routes? Some buses even have bike racks.

Try the tuneup. You may be able to retard the ingition and run lower octane gas. Keep the tires inflated properly, get rid of junk in the trunk etc.

davesdeville
02-14-06, 11:16 AM
21-24 is probably a very liberal estimation on the mileage of the cars you listed, especially in winter. It's usually not cold temps that cause a drop in mileage, it's the winter formulations of gas, namely the 10% ethanol they usually mix in.

DopeStar 156
02-14-06, 11:21 AM
Yeah dude you definately need a tune up. My Fleetwood gets an average of 21 MPG and it's bigger than your DeVille. 13 MPG isn't what you should be getting.

90Brougham350
02-14-06, 11:25 AM
Tune it up, and keep it. Come spring you can fix it up, and have a great ride. You don't want to drive an Olds or a Nissan, you know you'll be happier with the Caddy. Just try and get it running right, try and be an old man behind the wheel, and stick with the Caddy. You'll be happy you did.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-14-06, 01:49 PM
hahaha It would be much easier to be an "old man behind the wheel" if the 4.9 didnt have such a robust torque curve! ;) :p

But yeah, what does a normal tune up consist of? I know at about 100k its due for one, and I did change the plugs at 106k or so. But that was all we did.

How much time and labor is involved? What about is the price if I have someone do it?

Jesda
02-14-06, 02:05 PM
Sell... to ME!

EcSTSatic
02-14-06, 02:14 PM
hahaha It would be much easier to be an "old man behind the wheel" if the 4.9 didnt have such a robust torque curve! ;) :p

But yeah, what does a normal tune up consist of? I know at about 100k its due for one, and I did change the plugs at 106k or so. But that was all we did.

How much time and labor is involved? What about is the price if I have someone do it?

You work at a dealership. I would think one of the mechanics could help you out there. You will probably want a cap. rotor and wires. O2 sensor(s). Test the cat to see if it flows. Check codes. Is this FI or carbed? Cleaning the fuel delivery system would help.

elwesso
02-14-06, 02:29 PM

plug, wires, cap, rotor, o2 sensors, fuel filter, air filter, intake cleaning, injector fuel rail flush (have this done at the dealer).. Hell, sometimes using synthetic fluids can decrease internal friction.....

itsabughunt
02-14-06, 02:38 PM
I agree with everyone saying you culd get better mileage. I have a 91 SDV with 4.9 and I'm getting about 18 mpg from half city streets and half freeway. I havent even done anything special as faar as tune-ups either. On top of that I drive with a lead foot.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-14-06, 05:30 PM
plug, wires, cap, rotor, o2 sensors, fuel filter, air filter, intake cleaning, injector fuel rail flush (have this done at the dealer).. Hell, sometimes using synthetic fluids can decrease internal friction.....

Alright, I'll see what all this costs, minus the plugs. Those were such a PITA on the four-nine! Other than calling the auto parts stores or dealer, where can I find the prices, is there anywhere online? And if it's of any concern, I'm running 15W-40 Rotella diesel oil, as specified by Ralph, and others.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-14-06, 05:32 PM
Is this FI or carbed?

All of the 4.x series motors have been FI since 1982. From '82-89, it was TBI, but from 1990 onwards, it's been Sequential Port Fuel Injection.

I love the way that sounds! 4.9 PFI!

elwesso
02-14-06, 05:44 PM
15-40? BUT WHY? Just run 5w30 in the winter...... :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-14-06, 05:46 PM
The Rotella quiets that main bearing thump a ton, on 10W40 it knocks like hell.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-14-06, 05:47 PM
Sell... to ME!

You want my deVille? I thought you wanted one of the big, brash '94-96 FWB's.

mccombie_5
02-14-06, 05:50 PM
You want my deVille? I thought you wanted one of the big, brash '94-96 FWB's.

Jesda wants everything dude

Jesda
02-14-06, 05:57 PM
I passed on a Sixty Special in 04. I should have bought it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-14-06, 06:42 PM
I passed on a Sixty Special in 04. I should have bought it.

:kick:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-03-06, 05:31 PM
Well I drove it this last week very gently and didnt go WOT once, and I got an average of 15.98 MPG, which is pretty much what its rated at (16/25)
With my usual driving, I would get 13.5-14 MPG AVG.

I need a tune up.