: Brougham Auto-level

caddieboy
02-13-06, 11:01 AM
My Auto-level light comes on quite often, usually just for a short period. Is this a sign my air ride shocks might need changing? I don't recall my 87 Brougham ever levelling that often.

A 5 mile trip it will click on when I start, then 4 more times for just a moment, sometimes a second or two, but usually just a quick on and then off.

If it's a sign that the air ride needs changing, how can I check for sure? The car rides pretty well as far as I'm concerned.

Katshot
02-13-06, 12:58 PM
My Auto-level light comes on quite often, usually just for a short period. Is this a sign my air ride shocks might need changing? I don't recall my 87 Brougham ever levelling that often.

A 5 mile trip it will click on when I start, then 4 more times for just a moment, sometimes a second or two, but usually just a quick on and then off.

If it's a sign that the air ride needs changing, how can I check for sure? The car rides pretty well as far as I'm concerned.

It DOES sound like you have an air leak in the system but that leak could just as easily be in a line or fitting as in one of the shocks. Only a little diagnostic time can confirm which.

90Brougham350
02-14-06, 07:09 AM
20 bucks says your air shocks need to be replaced. My 90 used to do the same thing, I crawled under there to look one day, and put my hand around the shocks. You could feel the air coming out of both of them pretty well.

RMartin0018
02-14-06, 11:48 AM
Replacement air shocks don't come cheap either... I think I paid around $135/pr for mine 2 years ago.

caddieboy
02-14-06, 12:26 PM
Replacement air shocks don't come cheap either... I think I paid around $135/pr for mine 2 years ago.

That's actually a lot better than I thought! I thought they were something ridiculous like $200 each!

caddieboy
02-14-06, 12:27 PM
20 bucks says your air shocks need to be replaced. My 90 used to do the same thing, I crawled under there to look one day, and put my hand around the shocks. You could feel the air coming out of both of them pretty well.

I'll have to check them properly soon.

caddieboy
02-14-06, 12:29 PM
It DOES sound like you have an air leak in the system but that leak could just as easily be in a line or fitting as in one of the shocks. Only a little diagnostic time can confirm which.

This kinda sucks, but hopefully it's not as expensive as I thought. Is it true the original factory OEM shocks are no longer available?

N0DIH
02-14-06, 12:46 PM
Autozone gets the Gabriel HiJackers for $69, looks to be a pair price from what it shows.

The Ape Man
02-14-06, 08:06 PM
Sure sounds like the shocks are leaking. Still could be a line but not as likely. Dunno that aftermarket shocks won't change the ride. Look for OEM if you can. Maybe Hemmings has some advertisers who sell them.

Katshot
02-18-06, 07:42 AM
Check with the dealer. They "may" still show the shocks as being available but they "may" have simply replaced the OEM Delco ones with the aftermarket Delco ones. If this is the case, you'll need an air-line adapter kit seeing as how the Delco OEM and aftermarket shocks have different air-line hook-ups. Other than that, they are identical.

N0DIH
02-18-06, 08:31 PM
Mine has aftermarket Delco ones, not terribly bad shocks, but mine are now getting worn and need to be replaced. But they don't appear to leak.