: Am I crazy? How reliable are/were these?

BluEyes
02-12-06, 09:51 PM
How reliable are the electronically controlled rear leveling systems?
I was at the junkyard and got a complete system out of an '81 Coupe DeVille. Whole thing: pump, level sensor, wiring back to the lever, tubing, etc.

I'd love to have the 'correct' all-mechanical system for my car, and I have the level valve from one of those systems, but the vacuum-driven compressors are pretty hard to find it seems, and I'm not willing to pay the high prices I've seen.

So, are the 1981-year electronic systems pretty reliable, or prone to giving fits? I know I'll have to do some custom work for mounting and setting the level right since it'll be going in my '70. But once it's in, am I likely to regret this? Since I'm custom-fitting this system, is there a better year to use that isn't too new?

Mr_Bam
02-13-06, 12:25 AM
You could also just use the "sensor" and hook it up to a more modern air pump... If you're gonna custom fit it, there's always better solutions after a time :lildevil:

Katshot
02-13-06, 06:34 AM
I've always tried to retain the ELC systems on older cars. I think they're simple and reliable.

BluEyes
02-13-06, 07:26 AM
You could also just use the "sensor" and hook it up to a more modern air pump... If you're gonna custom fit it, there's always better solutions after a time :lildevil:

Yeah, I was wondering about that last night...
I laid out the wiring for the ELC system and realized that there is a 5-contact connector that it plugs into the rest of the cars wiring with. Makes me think that there is more to the system than just the pump and sensor. I think I'll try and head back by the junkyard today and see if I can trace some wiring on the car I pulled it from and figure out what goes to those 5 contacts. The car is also a V8-6-4 car, so I might go ahead and pull those solenoids as well.
Anyone know if the cars computer gets in on controlling the level controll, or what connects to the system?

The Ape Man
02-13-06, 08:57 PM
The ECM has nothing to do with the auto level control so you are OK there.

BluEyes
02-14-06, 07:56 AM
Yup, I got the wiring diagram from a very helpful person online. Just need to wire in a relay and two fuses, then hope that the parts work.
I love the systems in these older cars. Most of the neat luxury options have a wire harness that is largely seperate from the rest of the cars wiring, making swaps like this so much easier!

Mr_Bam
02-14-06, 12:34 PM
Check on some of the newer, more efficient 12v air pumps while you're at it... I took one of those older pumps apart and they've upgraded a LOT since then :wink: