: Have you tried Polyisobutylene ??

sts96
02-12-06, 09:43 PM
Runs great in my 97 SDV. No smoke at WOT. More at info. www.gtatech.com.
sts96

Ranger
02-12-06, 09:57 PM
Sounds like more snake oil to me.

sts96
02-12-06, 10:47 PM
Perhaps mongoose oil sure works for me. LOL
sts86

eldorado1
02-12-06, 10:52 PM
Rubber?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyisobutylene

Where do you want me to add said rubber?

sts96
02-13-06, 12:10 AM
I guess it gives a whole new meaning to burning rubber. LOL I understand john deere synthetic 2 stroke oil
up 08138 has it in it, or torco gp-7. Use 1/2 tsp in 10 gallons of gasoline no more no less. Both of these work well for me in regular gasoline. sts96

peteski
02-13-06, 02:49 AM
Hey, if it is rubber it probably seals the piston rings and valve seats for a tighter combustion chamber! Greatly improves performance! But a cheaper way would be to save your used chewing gum and drop it in your gas tank during every fill-up. That will also increase performance and taste good too!

Tongue-inserted-firmly-in-cheek! :D
Peteski

dkozloski
02-13-06, 10:49 AM
Chewing gum stiffens up in gasoline. During WWll, chicle(chewing gum base) was prechewed and formed into playing card sized and larger blocks wrapped in waxed paper to be stuck on bullet holes to plug leaks in bomber gas tanks during missions. Chewing gum still works pretty good as an emergency repair.

sts96
02-13-06, 10:54 AM
You are close on chewing gun some gum base has pib (Polyisobutylene) in it, But many other things have some also with other chemicals that are bad for my fine N*and the air we all need. The 2 stroke oils are blends that are engine friendly and EPA approved for engine use. the reason I use them is GTA viscon was not in stock and they were uncertan when or if it would be. LOL but with more power and 10% better gas mileage all the way to the bank. sts96

mcowden
02-13-06, 12:47 PM
You are close on chewing gun some gum base has pib (Polyisobutylene) in it, But many other things have some also with other chemicals that are bad for my fine N*and the air we all need. The 2 stroke oils are blends that are engine friendly and EPA approved for engine use. the reason I use them is GTA viscon was not in stock and they were uncertan when or if it would be. LOL but with more power and 10% better gas mileage all the way to the bank. sts96

There is scant evidence of PIB offering anything for gas mileage or horsepower other than a few people posting on web sites saying how great it is. None of the oil companies say anything about it, none of the auto manufacturers, not the EPA, not even the manufacturer, BASF, has anything to say about it doing anything for gas mileage, and they're the ones that should be promoting its fuel economy benefits. It doesn't make any sense to me that it will help anything other than the finances of the people selling it. Good marketing scheme they got going, but it sounds to me like a waste of time and effort to put it in your gas tank. The marketing creates psychological effects, but I seriously doubt it does anything beneficial for your car. Works the same way Slick 50 works: Somebody says it does, so lots of other people swear by it just because the first guy did. You can't believe everything you read. Show me a scientific study that shows it works and I'll do it. Until then, it's hogwash, no matter what they say on automotiveforums.com or hondaforums.com or cadillacforums.com or anywhere else.

sts96
02-13-06, 08:16 PM
What a strange answer to an easy question did you mean NO ? If I missed a chance to turn a profit from freely sharing what I have tried please pm me. pib has been around for years most refiners and oil companys reply to what makes premium gasoline better is that it has a proprietary blend of additives could part of that be pib @ less than 1 cent per gallon ?? basf sells a lot to oil cos. for what purpose. more at: www.corporate.basf.com/en/innovationen/labors/polymerforschung/Weg_zur_Innovation/Kerocom.htm?id=9pYSx8A91bcp.-R

peteski
02-14-06, 01:37 AM
I'm not a chemist nor I play one on TV, but...

Wouldn't Polyisobuteneamine (PIBA) be something different than Polyisobutylene (PIB)?!

PIBA is what BASF touts and PIB is what sts96 says works for him.
My non-chemist brain thinks that "butylene" is rubber-like compound and "buteneamine" is an alltogether different chemical compound.

I'm confused. My brain needs some Slick50! :-)
Or do I smell a rat? No, it must be that burned rubber smell...

I'm off to chew some gum :D

Peteski

dkozloski
02-14-06, 03:56 AM
Polyisobutyleneamine is an intake valve detergent. No magic possible there. Many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip. It doesn't look to me like everyone visitng this thread knows what the heck they are talking about. Years ago the addicts in San Fransisco were shooting up with STP because there was a designer drug with the same letters so they thought it must have been the same stuff. Probably did less harm than the real thing.

sts96
02-14-06, 09:43 AM
All comments have made really good points.I feel no need to defend any of the tests or profit motive with out a profit motive tests would not be made and we all would loose out on new uses for known products. I will now carry gum in case of a shoot out from road rage I can plug the holes in my gas tank (a new use for me at no cost). I think what works for me may or may not work for others my desire is to give enough info so you can try if you wish. I place little confidence in test reports as some folks are less than honest. I comtinue to look for information about pib in fuel if you find some please share. Am aware that bio diesel can only be sold in 1/2 of texas unless pib is added before retail sale. this requirement for nox control late in 2005 by Tex Enviromental Quality board started my intrest in pib
sts96

mcowden
02-14-06, 12:14 PM
Several years ago, BASF bought the polyisobutylene business from ExxonMobil, the largest oil company in the USA. The PIB product is called Oppanol, and when BASF describes it, they don't mention anything about gasoline. So far there is no scientific evidence that this does anything for gas mileage. Anyone have any scientific proof to offer? I haven't found any reliable sources of information on the Internet other than a bunch of wild speculation, so it still smells like a myth to me.

http://www.basf.com/corporate/news2003/newsinfo_oppanal_051203.html

The gtatech link sts96 provided above is for a company that sells the product. I can't find any credible evidence that this stuff does anything useful for gasoline.

sts96
02-14-06, 01:35 PM
Right on mike. I cannot vouch for basf try this link:
www.corporate.basf.com/en/innovationen/labors/polymerforschung/Weg_zur_Innovation/Kerocom.htm?id=9pYSx8A91bcp.-R sts96

dkozloski
02-14-06, 02:33 PM
It looks to me like PIB is a base stock for producing fuel detergent additives. Dumping PIB in your gas would be like making a peanut butter sandwich without the bread. You gotta finish the job before you have anything to work with.

sts96
02-14-06, 06:15 PM
Yes it would be worse than peanut butter which would dissolve in the gas except for the solids. DO NOT put peanut butter in your tank.(for those on the real stp).
high density polyisobutylene is normally a rubbery bale of 75 Lbs which is shredded and dissolved in a solvent that will mix with gasoline. the best I could find is the torco oil gp-7 or jd full synthetic 2 stroke oils. The torco is supposed
to be 35 % pib as I figure that would require 4 or 5 Drops per gallon of gas to get 10 ppm. 8 drops for 20 ppm don't go over 20 ppm as it cancels out. this Liter of gp-7 will last me a longggg time.
sts96

dkozloski
02-14-06, 07:16 PM
Now we're figuring the percentage of fly poop in the pepper. Sounds like stomping on pissants while elephants are running up and down the halls.

sts96
02-14-06, 10:26 PM
Saw a quote a while back from someone "If you think size dosen't matter try going to sleep in a bedroom with a mosquito" is that as good a fit as fly poop. ??
sts96

peteski
02-15-06, 01:38 AM
Sounds like that miracle water additive which is supposed to be good for you. Too bad that I can't remember any more details.

IIIRC, it was some sort of polirized ionized stuff dispersed in plain water. It is diluted to undetectable levels, yet it works wonders for your health!

Hey, if something (PIB) works fo you - go 4 it! I won't bother...

You might also want to look into using soome of those high-end Synth. oils in your engine. They claim all kinds of wonderful things... :)

And don't forget those Vornados...

Sts96 - if you're really 70 years old then you have been around long enough to know better.

Peteski

sts96
02-15-06, 10:35 AM
Only the body is 70 Age and experience have taught
me Patience only to find I have little time left to use it. I hope to always understand that others are smarter and or lucky. Regardless of age, sex, race, ect.most can write and spell better also But I want to try things that make sense to me. In the past 18 monthsI have droped the cradle and changed 3 N* engines timeserted 2 of the blocks replaced 1 transmission all because I still can, retirement can be to quiet. May I thank ALL of you for sharing your thoughts.
sts96