: could be 1 or 2 things idler pulley or water pump plz help

envynet
01-01-04, 11:08 PM
when sitting at a red light or idleing my 93 cadillac sts makes this clunking noise im suspecting that it is my serpentine belt pulley tensioner, but i could be wrong and i dont want to fix something that isnt wrong obviously :cool: if its in park it does not make any noises ive been driving on it for quite some time now, i was reading other posts and figured it could be a water pump problem but im not leaking any fluids that i can see anyhow, or it could also be an ac bearing, which my ac doesnt work cause i need to recharge it... i bought a recharging kit but for some reason it will not take the ac it shuts off, ive had it for years now and havent had any major problems with it other than sometimes the tranny will slip maybe once every 2 or 3 months which could be due to a sensor problem, sorry for the long post but could some1 tell me why it makes so much noise when in drive and idleing??? would greatly appriciate it, and also about how much it would cost to have it done in a shop or maybe how to do it myself.. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

happy new year everyone!!

-Adam

DaveSmed
01-01-04, 11:58 PM
That could be numerous things. Have a friend hold the car in drive with the brake while you try to hear where the noise is coming from.

envynet
01-02-04, 12:09 AM
it seems to be comming from the left side of the car where the belt pulley is. =/ it kinda sounds like plastic smacking plastic real loudly. Or maybe like metal scracthing on metal its kinda a long sound and it repeats only if im sitting in drive.

thanks

DaveSmed
01-02-04, 12:19 AM
The waterpump is the only belt driven accessory on the left side of the car. Noises can be tricky. I'd look for anything hitting while its running. Check the tensioners and the idlers, as well as the edges and bottom of the belt, as those areas usually show damage when a tensioner starts to go.

envynet
01-02-04, 12:24 AM
its on the left side of the car if your standing in front of it, its where the serp belt is and the belt has very little damage if none at all on it im kinda hoping whatever it is can wait for a couple more months till i get my tax returns and the time to fix it in my garage. Is there a way i can be able to tell if its the water pump i figured it it leaked then it would be a good sign.

i also have another kinda dumb question, is there something that plugs into your trunk motor thing??? my trunk wont pull down and i think i pull a wire off but i dont know where it goes i cant find anywhere to plug it into the motor.. =/
thanks for your help Davesmed :)

PhillyCaddy
01-02-04, 12:33 AM
It can not be a water pump if the noise is coming from the pass side of the car. The water pump is on the driver side and is driven by the cam by a small serp belt.

zonie77
01-02-04, 01:24 AM
When idling in gear the engine rocks a little from engine torque. Try to see if something is out of position along the serpentine belt route that barely makes contact. This isn't common and the way you describe it really sounds like something touching the belt or pulleys. Try to jack it up and look from the bottom. You may only need to move something out of the way.

mike98c
01-02-04, 02:11 AM
when sitting at a red light or idleing my 93 cadillac sts makes this clunking noise im suspecting that it is my serpentine belt pulley tensioner, but i could be wrong and i dont want to fix something that isnt wrong obviously :cool: if its in park it does not make any noises ive been driving on it for quite some time now, i was reading other posts and figured it could be a water pump problem but im not leaking any fluids that i can see anyhow, or it could also be an ac bearing, which my ac doesnt work cause i need to recharge it... i bought a recharging kit but for some reason it will not take the ac it shuts off, ive had it for years now and havent had any major problems with it other than sometimes the tranny will slip maybe once every 2 or 3 months which could be due to a sensor problem, sorry for the long post but could some1 tell me why it makes so much noise when in drive and idleing??? would greatly appriciate it, and also about how much it would cost to have it done in a shop or maybe how to do it myself.. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

happy new year everyone!!

-Adam

envynet
01-02-04, 04:55 PM
i think i may have figured out my problem today when i was looking at it, i think the power steering is the problem, i think that maybe the bearings in the pulley are starting to get shot or something, my dad said i might need a hole new power steering pump to fix it, could this be making all the noises??? the pulley on the side of the power steering pump has a little bit of play in it but it doesnt move that much... biggest thing is how much does it cost to do this kinda job =( always bad news for me lol. thanks in advance.

jbutler1
01-18-04, 04:08 PM
i think i may have figured out my problem today when i was looking at it, i think the power steering is the problem, i think that maybe the bearings in the pulley are starting to get shot or something, my dad said i might need a hole new power steering pump to fix it, could this be making all the noises??? the pulley on the side of the power steering pump has a little bit of play in it but it doesnt move that much... biggest thing is how much does it cost to do this kinda job =( always bad news for me lol. thanks in advance.
Have you fixed your problem since this last post? I am here in the forum to troubleshoot the rattle in my 92 Deville. It is coming from the top of the serpentine belt area, where I think it is one of the pulley bearings starting to go. My dad said to listen for it with a stethiscope and rod to isolate it. I don't know the failure modes of these parts. Free spinning the devices with the belt loosened is different from when the pulley has a lot of force on it. Let me know.

BeelzeBob
01-19-04, 01:29 AM
It is fairly easy to isolate if the noise is from part of the accessory drive system. With the engine idling use a 1/2 breaker bar to unload the serpentine belt tensioner...the belt will stop as the tension is released. If the noise stops with it then it is in the accessories. Use a 3 foot piece of 3/8 hose like a stethascope to listen to the various accessories and pulleys to find the noise. Chances are the noise may be from the idler pulley on the block or the pulley on the belt tensioner itself. Those are sealed bearings that may be getting dry and starting to fail or get noisy. The AC compressor hub bearing could also be making noise ...it will make noise if it is failing whether the AC is on or off.

The Accessory drive system is not sensitive to whether the car is in drive or not, though. If the noise is not there in park, then I would have a friend sit in the car with the brakes on and put the car in drive to listen under the hood for the noise.

Possibly it is one of the torque struts that constrain the engine when it is under load....those two dog bone shaped struts between the engine and the radiator cradle. If the engine rocks slightly under load in drive and the rubber isolator in the dog bone is beat out then it will rattle and knock. The dog bone mounts are easy to replace. Just unbolt and re-install the new ones. There is no load on those mounts with the engine off so they can just be unbolted.

If the noise is not evident when you are under the hood have your helper hold the brakes FIRMLY and gently power brake the engine against the torque converter in drive and then reverse to see if the engine moves excessively or the noise shows up...

Sean McDonald
01-19-04, 01:54 AM
I have the exact same problem with my 94 STS. Mine not only does it when it's in gear, but it's gotten a little worse so it'll do it when the heater or defroster kicks in too. I'm kinda stumped too, but I think it may be the A/C compressor on both of our cars.