: My car is totaled.

Night Wolf
02-12-06, 03:25 AM
Nope, not a joke.

Its 2:45AM right now.

around 11:30PM Saturday night, I was bored, listening to classic rock and decided to go for a cruise. I wanted to drive the '79.

On my way coming back, I go into the left turn lane, blinker on the light is green... I thought I had the green arrow. I nearly stop, nobody is in the intersection, so I start to make my left turn.

The next thing I know is I see headlights approaching rapidly, nothing really clicked until I heard a dull thud, I got jolted forward and my hood went flying up.

I realized I just had a wreck... not a little wreck, a big wreck. Sitting in the car, my foot still to the floor on the brakes and both hands on the wheel, no idiot lights were on, and the 425 was still running. I went to put it in Park... shifters jambed, stuck in Neutral. I go to shut the enigne off.... the ignition is jambed... I yanked the key off and got the engine to shut off, but the key is still stuck in the ignition. I get out of the car thru the driver door.. it is stiff and binding against the fender.

The car that hit me was a ~2000 Toyota Camery. It was a hispanic couple with an infant in a car seat in the back. The baby was fine, not even crying. The women driving was ok, the man in the passenger seat had a cut on his face, I think it was from glass as the windsheild shattered from the airbag.

tow trucks came, ambulance came, fire truck came, lots of cops came. The Camry rolled off tot he side, the Caddy is still in the intersection, I walked over and closed the hood (not that it latched) and the grille was hanging, I broke that off and put it on the back seat floor.

so AAA covered the towing, the car is currently at the gated yard. They are closed tomorrow, so I'll go Monday.

In the yard I got to really look the car over. Its definitly totaled. It was an extreme driver side hit, exactly like my mothers accident in her '84 DeVille (also involved with a Camry) The damn thing... the interior lights still went on, turn the key on and the dash lights come on and the seat belt bell rings...

The 425 is a beast though, it was still running... NOTING leaked.. I checked the oil level, it was full, tranny fluid, full... not even the radiator (which was hit) leaked, when I removed the cap, it was full. The whole frame is twisted, the engine is pushed hard to the right and back, the whole steering linkage is bent. The worst is that the frame is literally rolled back into the left front wheel, and it is locked up... we had trouble getting it off the tow truck. The drivers door is dented and the windsheild is cracked (after we got it off the truck) The fan isn't even hitting the radiator.. I wanted to try and start it, just for the self gratification, but the ignition is jambed... I'll deal with that later. If it wasn't for the fact that the frame is bent into the tire, she would roll.

I always told myself is something like this happened to the car, I would rebuild it... but, I don't think that can happen. Everything from the firewall forward AFA the chassis is shot. I am going to try my hardest to buy the car back and store it at our new property up North a bit, as there are lots of very useful parts and stuff I did to this car. I still can't believe this happened. I did not have full coverage, so its a loss on my part.

No tickets were issued... the tow truck driver said it is most likely a no-fault type thing where both parties were at fault.... I dunno man, this was my first car accident, I still can't believe it happened to me, and my car.

The only thing I remember is laying on the brakes trying to see why this car is right in front of me, then getting jolted forward and seeing my hood fly up. From a safety point, the car did great as everything worked the way it was supposed to, I didn't even hit the steering wheel.

My car hit their left fender/door... the Camry has gotta be totaled also... the damage on their car, while extensive, didn't look as bad as mine... then again, I was at the disadvantage both in position and speed, just like in my mothers accident.

The car... To have the frame strightened and all is going to be too much work then its worth. I guess my best bet, with anything on that car, is to find another car like it and swap stuff over... which isn't happening for a loong time due to time/money. It just sucks so much, this whole night I was driving it, about a half hour, I was just so happy with the car, everything has been working perfect, I was really enjoying it, and thinking about the big plans I have for it... its just so hard to comprehend, I am sure when I see it in the day and have time to think it over, it is just going to be so different... I feel like I owe this car something back, and when I start to dig into it, maybe the frame can be strightened out... or maybe it is just my mind going crazy to pretend this never happened.

Nearly 2 years and 10k miles with this car... took it from nearly going to the junkyard to making it a very showable classic. I paid $300 for it and put, all said and done, including new tires, painted door and tune up... less then $1,000 into it. It isn't a loss in terms of money. It does get to me that I could have sold it for atleast $3,000... but its a loss for what it means to me, because that car ment alot to me.

Ah gosh... sorry for the really long post.. I know its not the type of post someone would make after such a thing... but I am just shocked and frazzled, still can't believe it happened.

Tomorrow I'll stop by, even though they are closed, I'll snap some pictures... Monday I'll get more. The end of the 1979 Sedan DeVille d'Elegance has come... atleast for a while.... after such an amazing, faultless trip down from NY to FL....

Yes, I am glad it wasn't the Coupe.. I don't know what I would have done in that case... but still my mind is going crazy... WHY did I decide to go out for a cruise... but then again, driving and listening to music is one of my favorite things in the world, so I guess we need to ask ourself... why do we do the things we enjoy?

ah gosh... I gotta get some sleep now.

Night Wolf
02-12-06, 03:32 AM
:(

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/door/PDR_0187.JPG

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/door/PDR_0194.JPG

The most recent pictures... our mini-meet in Tampa... LAST WEEKEND!

http://cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17418&d=1139109915

http://cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17419&d=1139109915

http://cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17420&d=1139109915

After looking at the pictures.. I gotta say, its really starting to set in, and I am quite upset right now... if it keeps going at this rate, I can just imagine the amount of ideas running thru my head to fix it up....

Night Wolf
02-12-06, 03:45 AM
gosh...

I dunno... everything happens for a reason... it is all in God's plan.

Who knows what this reason was... either on my part or theirs... but it had to happen for a reason...

DopeStar 156
02-12-06, 04:09 AM
Eeeeeccchhhh.... I dunno what to say dude......, I really don't... If you could see my face though..... That royally sucks... All the ****in' work you put into it too, it was one of the nicest '79's I've ever seen too. Maybe it's just a bad time for you to be driving what with the flooded Coupe and all.... I don't even know what to think about this. I drove my Fleetwood home tomight in 2 inches of snow and had a mental image of something happening to mine at around that same time.... You're a hell of a mechanic though, I'm sure there's something you could do.... Maybe buy another '79 Sedan and swap everything over? I don't think anything I say will console you but I definately feel for you.... I'll be sure to let you know if I spot any on ebay or anything like that.

turbojimmy
02-12-06, 04:34 AM
Sorry to hear that.

So you think the Camry bent the frame on that car? I'd be surprised if it did. We got this '87 Regal for parts and as we got into it we found that as bad as it looks, it's really just cosmetic and mechanical. Frame's not bent at all:

http://www.turbojimmy.com/86_limited.htm

Anyway, if I were you I'd think about hanging on to it if the frame's not bent. It is/was a beautiful example of a classic Cadillac.

Jim

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
02-12-06, 04:51 AM
OH No!!!!!!!!!!

I am so sorry to read this.
What a beautiful car, you must have put so much time into it (which is always the bigger issue than money).

I hope you can somehow salvage it.
To have save it from the junkyard and for this to happen, that is such cruel luck.

Obviously, the main thing is you're ok.
As hard as it can sometimes be, it's always worth remembering that things could be worse.

Good luck to you.
I hope you can bring her back.

davesdeville
02-12-06, 06:29 AM
Damn Rick I'm really sorry to hear it. If the frame is straight it wouldn't take too much to get it up to par again. If it is bent, get a 75-76 :)

Boombotz
02-12-06, 07:16 AM
Ohhhhhhh Myyyyyy Goodnessssss! This is so sad. I hope when you look at it in the day maybe the outcome will be different. What ever the reason for this accident you may never know. It is just great that everyone is not hurt that's a blessing in itself.

DaveDeVille
02-12-06, 08:08 AM
I am glad no one got hurt but I'm very sad for your loss. That was a really nice ride.

Katshot
02-12-06, 08:44 AM
Damn Rick, sorry to hear about your baby. Glad you weren't hurt though. I'll reserve comment concerning whether or not to rebuild AFTER you post some shots of the damage.

JimHare
02-12-06, 09:16 AM
Hey Rick - I don't understand about the accident - were you making a left turn, and the Camry hit you while in the other crossing street? If you were making a LEGAL left, then they would have had a RED LIGHT, no?

If they hit you on your drivers side, I figure they could not have been in the opposing, oncoming lane.. ???

Confused..

Night Wolf
02-12-06, 09:27 AM
Sorry to hear that.

So you think the Camry bent the frame on that car? I'd be surprised if it did. We got this '87 Regal for parts and as we got into it we found that as bad as it looks, it's really just cosmetic and mechanical. Frame's not bent at all:

http://www.turbojimmy.com/86_limited.htm

Anyway, if I were you I'd think about hanging on to it if the frame's not bent. It is/was a beautiful example of a classic Cadillac.

Jim

I'll say it right now... that Regal is in bettershape then my '79.

Not only was the impact ectreme driver-side... but with the Camry going ~40mph, the way it hit, all that force pushed the whole front end left.

The passenger headlights aren't even broken, while the driver side bumper is pushed passed the tire. The whole A-arm is bent back.

The impact broke the brand new hood ornamanet right off the car, the engine bracing under the hood, part of it just ripped right out, you can see the frame is twisted.

I need to go back in the day... today I'll pass by, they are closed but I'll get some pics from the side of the fence.

The left front tire is stuck since the frame is pushed into it... the tow truck driver hammered a ski under the tire and put oil down and between letting the whinch go and both of us rocking it, we were able to get it off. I thought maybe let the air out of the tire and let it sit on the wheel, atleast it'll roll... but he said not to do that.

If it was a direct head on, I don't think it would be near as bad...

the air cleaner is resting against the rear passenger side engine bracing, the alternator is jambed into the side... the brand new battery looks like it'll be tough to remove.

CIWS
02-12-06, 09:30 AM
Thank goodness no one was hurt seriously, but I'm really sorry to hear the loss of your Cadi. Like you said it's all part of the plan, and even though it doesn't usually look very good at the time, it has a way of working out. Good luck with whichever direction you chose to go. :)

RobertCTS
02-12-06, 09:40 AM
Sad story Rick. But it wasn't God's plan. It was more to the liking of "Shit Happens". Yep, if it was the coupe it would have seemed much worse.

eldorado99
02-12-06, 09:40 AM
Oh jeez... This sucks majorly man... That was one of the coolest and nicest condition rides on these here forums. My condolences... :( I know this ride in particular meant a lot to you, but I hope you find a nice one someday to replace it.

Night Wolf
02-12-06, 09:43 AM
Here is a drawing I made up to kinda show it... I was going less then 10mph, as I was in the process of making my left turn, the speed limit on that road is 45mph, I'd say they had to be doing close to that. I had a green light, I know that much. I thought it was the arrow, maybe it was just a regular green light. I remeber slowing way down, near a stop at the part you woud normally stop at, and there were cars on the otherside but it appeared as if they were stopped, I waited a few seconds and nobody was moving, so I made my turn.

I really have to hand it to Florida for having the most screwed up traffic lights and signals... I don't know how many times something like this has almost happened, or I saw it almost happen. Add to the fact there was light rain... and it wasn't very favorable.

I know the insurance is going to go up... thats a killer. Of course the thoughts of what, if any legal action is going to be taken against me. If it comes out to be a no-fault, and nobody was hurt or anything... then I dunno, from my stand point I don't see myself doing anything against them, as long as they have insurance and what not... it seems like it is going to be between the insurance companies.

HotRodSaint
02-12-06, 09:45 AM
I think it's God's plan that you yank that motor and build a Rat Rod!! :bouncy:

The main thing is you walked away, and that was God's protection. :worship:

Stoneage_Caddy
02-12-06, 10:14 AM
where the hell did this happen at? looks like ulmerton or something ....trust me , we have the worst traffic in the US ....and ive lived in LA and communted it every day.....florida sucks ....and its becuse of the drivers ...

this sucks ....i finnaly got to see it last week .....

addison_ii
02-12-06, 12:13 PM
Sorry to hear about the 79 being in an accident, but I'm glad you're ok. Hopefully it can be rebuilt or many parts can be grafted onto another one.

DopeStar 156
02-12-06, 12:30 PM
I'm pretty sure when I see the pics of the car now, I'll prolly vomit.....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-12-06, 12:37 PM
OH MY GOD!!!!

Wow Rick I never thought this would happen to you!

What a sad, unfortunate thing to happen to such a fine car!
It would be bad if it was my deVille or something, but it was much worse because you love your cars so much, plus of your three cars, this one was your favorite!

Well I'm very glad that you're ok, because that's all that really matters. And that the beast did a very good job of protecting you, and there are many other very nice deVilles and Fleetwood Broughams of this era for dirt cheap.

It sounds like your car got hit in the same spot as my dad's 1991 Mazda 626, but only much much worse.
Dad was stopped in the left turn lane, turning into the local Rainbow Foods. Kid in a white Cavalier is coming out of Rainbow Foods parking lot, making a right onto the street that my dad is in. Than the kid in white cavalier goes out into traffic, then this girl in the black Cavalier almost hits him, swerves to miss and hits my dad's Mazda (193k miles, the car I took my drivers test in) in the front left corner, and somehow bounces off and hits the rear driver's side door. Anyways my dad and 7 year old brother were alright. But that car was totaled, and actually someone bought it, fixed it and sold it again!?!?! :bonkers:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/753000-753999/753753_34_full.jpg
The 626.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/753000-753999/753753_35_full.jpg
The Cavalier that hit him.

Actually, the Mazda doesnt look that bad when compared to the Cavy, you can chalk that up to steel fenders! I bet if my car was hit in the same region, the fenders would crack and shatter. Oh wait......
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/753000-753999/753753_21_full.jpg

And if it's any consolation, I despise Toyotas!

LittleB
02-12-06, 12:38 PM
Mannnn, I am so sorry to hear that. At least everyone is OK. That really sucks :(

slk230mb
02-12-06, 12:42 PM
Sorry to hear this Rick, but as long as your ok everything else will work out.

DaveSmed
02-12-06, 12:43 PM
Damn man, crashes are just plain no fun. My friend got hit in almost the exact same situation you were in, and it was ruled a no fault as well. I'll wait for pictures to say anything one way or another, but you sound pretty sure its done. At least your ok, and you have the other car down there with you.

It really sucks losing a car that way though, especially after you put a lot of work into it like you have. But who knows, maybe you'll spot that Wrangler or '68 off to the side of the road... Things have a funny way of working themselves back out after awhile.

gary88
02-12-06, 12:48 PM
Damn, really sorry to hear about that. Glad to hear you walked away ok though.

bobkat
02-12-06, 12:49 PM
Man that really blows, Night Wolf... :crying2: But as other members have said, thank God nobody got hurt.

My dad used to have a '79 deVille (not the d'elegance trim) the exact same color as yours. It was a really great car.

There's much to be said about driving big cars and having accidents. The odds are usually against the occupants of the smaller car during a serious collision. All the seatbelts, airbags, padded this and that cannot change the laws of physics. F=mv^2. Always has and always will. Believe me, you want the "m" (mass) on your side.

Back in 1982 I was driving my '75 Buick Electra (mega-tank if there ever was one !!) and got rear ended by a cop. He hit me doing around 15-20 MPH and he was driving one of those shitty Dodge Diplomats or Plymouth Caravelles. His hood buckled, radiator punctured and windshield cracked - he was OK. Damage to my Buick -- bent tailpipe (as the rear bumper telescoped in - those were the days of 5 MPH bumper laws - it bent the tailpipe down). Damage to me - spilled my coffee. That's it. I drove off and he was towed.

JimHare
02-12-06, 12:53 PM
Ok, Rick, I got it now (sometimes, you gotta diagram it for us old farts..)

You said it would be ruled a no-fault? Something doesn't seem right there, then...

If you had a GREEN ARROW, then the oncoming traffic MUST have had a RED, and the fault would lie with the other driver.

If you only had a GREEN LIGHT, and an "Left Turn - use caution" kind of thing, then it seems that it would be your fault. (sorry, but that's what I interpret this as)

A large majority of all traffic accident, far more even than speeding or reckless driving, are caused by improper left turns. Those are the guys you really have to be careful with.

I agree about Florida drivers - my parents moved down there in '78 after living up here on the East Coast for 40 years - driving in Philly, South Jersey, New York, cross country three times, cross Canada twice, and in to Central America twice. Neither of them ever put so much as a scratch on a car. Two weeks after they moved to Florida, some dumb blonde (sorry but it's true) ran a stop sign and t-boned their Volvo 164...

It seems to be the bad mix of teenagers and old geezers don't bode well for Florida drivers...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-12-06, 01:01 PM
Back in 1982 I was driving my '75 Buick Electra (mega-tank if there ever was one !!) and got rear ended by a cop. He hit me doing around 15-20 MPH and he was driving one of those shitty Dodge Diplomats or Plymouth Caravelles. His hood buckled, radiator punctured and windshield cracked - he was OK. Damage to my Buick -- bent tailpipe (as the rear bumper telescoped in - those were the days of 5 MPH bumper laws - it bent the tailpipe down). Damage to me - spilled my coffee. That's it. I drove off and he was towed.

Ha! That makes me want that Mark IV even more!

Night Wolf
02-12-06, 01:06 PM
where the hell did this happen at? looks like ulmerton or something ....trust me , we have the worst traffic in the US ....and ive lived in LA and communted it every day.....florida sucks ....and its becuse of the drivers ...

this sucks ....i finnaly got to see it last week .....

FL drivers suck so bad, that I drove THRU New York City multiple times, and didn't have to deal with what I deal here. The drivers here are on par with New Jersey drivers, and thats is saying ALOT.

It happend at Park Blvd and ALT 19. What really sucks is... I wasn't even supposed to be on that road! I was supposed to turn onto 19, not ALT 19. Nothing looked familer, but the street sign said US 19. Then when I was standing at the curb after it all happened... I look over and see the sign on the side of the road for ALT 19. I made that mistake before too... and its like... I wasn't even supposed to be making that freakin turn.

I went by today... yeah, it is different in the day. Its worse. I didn't realize how much the bumper/frame is bent over to the driver side. I don't know how the bumper managed to stay stright for the most part. Its no wonder the whole engine is shifted. When I go tomorrow, I'll bring pliers and get that key to turn... I want to start it... just for the point of it. I am going to inquire if they have a frame strightening machine and how much they think it would be to strighten that... but I know it... it is going to be far more trouble and money then its worth.

So now I need to first see if its ok that the car is stored at my mothers/her fiance' property up North where the new house is getting built. They had no problem with me keeping my cars there before, so I hope it'll be no different... throw a cover on it and out of sight, out of mind, but atleast I know I still have it. There are WAY too many good and rare parts on that car, not only origanal, but stuff I added... no way I am going to let all that go to a junkyard.

I don't know if I am getting anything for it... the only way is if the cops determine it is in fact no-fault, and our insurance companies pay the other cars off... even then, the book value can't be anything more then $2,000. *IF* I got any money for it, or even if I didn't... I don't think I'll do anything with it for awhile... I was thinking about using any money I did get to get the Coupe repainted, but I don't even want to bother with that... so I decided if I did get something, it is going in a savings account and will be used towards my next vehicle.

Then to fix *this* car would be alot, considering these are pretty cheap... I always like the 80's Brougham styling alot more... but then if I was to get one of those, while alot of my stuff is interchangeable, nothing would really match... but if I was going to buy another 70's Cadillac, it wouldn't be this generation... so I dunno, I am all over the fence... idealy, I would like to fix my car, I think it was be a project for someone into cars like me... but I just don't know how screwed that chassis is... aparently from what I can tell right now, its pretty bad.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-12-06, 01:09 PM
Rick, how about the 425/ TH400 into a '87 Brougham?!

Night Wolf
02-12-06, 01:09 PM
OH MY GOD!!!!

Wow Rick I never thought this would happen to you!

What a sad, unfortunate thing to happen to such a fine car!
It would be bad if it was my deVille or something, but it was much worse because you love your cars so much, plus of your three cars, this one was your favorite!

Well I'm very glad that you're ok, because that's all that really matters. And that the beast did a very good job of protecting you, and there are many other very nice deVilles and Fleetwood Broughams of this era for dirt cheap.

It sounds like your car got hit in the same spot as my dad's 1991 Mazda 626, but only much much worse.
Dad was stopped in the left turn lane, turning into the local Rainbow Foods. Kid in a white Cavalier is coming out of Rainbow Foods parking lot, making a right onto the street that my dad is in. Than the kid in white cavalier goes out into traffic, then this girl in the black Cavalier almost hits him, swerves to miss and hits my dad's Mazda (193k miles, the car I took my drivers test in) in the front left corner, and somehow bounces off and hits the rear driver's side door. Anyways my dad and 7 year old brother were alright. But that car was totaled, and actually someone bought it, fixed it and sold it again!?!?! :bonkers:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/753000-753999/753753_34_full.jpg
The 626.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/753000-753999/753753_35_full.jpg
The Cavalier that hit him.

Actually, the Mazda doesnt look that bad when compared to the Cavy, you can chalk that up to steel fenders! I bet if my car was hit in the same region, the fenders would crack and shatter. Oh wait......
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/753000-753999/753753_21_full.jpg

And if it's any consolation, I despise Toyotas!

Well, the Coupe is by far the favorite.

The Camry was hit in the sam spot as that Mazda... the whole fender was hit in, the tire was flat and bent really bad, the damage when into the door too... the Camry was also still running.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-12-06, 01:10 PM
IIRC, the 626 was still running also, that 2.2 was a beast. You could not kill that car. If it hadn't been for that accident, we would still have that car, and we bought it in 1994!

Night Wolf
02-12-06, 01:13 PM
Ok, Rick, I got it now (sometimes, you gotta diagram it for us old farts..)

You said it would be ruled a no-fault? Something doesn't seem right there, then...

If you had a GREEN ARROW, then the oncoming traffic MUST have had a RED, and the fault would lie with the other driver.

If you only had a GREEN LIGHT, and an "Left Turn - use caution" kind of thing, then it seems that it would be your fault. (sorry, but that's what I interpret this as)

A large majority of all traffic accident, far more even than speeding or reckless driving, are caused by improper left turns. Those are the guys you really have to be careful with.

I agree about Florida drivers - my parents moved down there in '78 after living up here on the East Coast for 40 years - driving in Philly, South Jersey, New York, cross country three times, cross Canada twice, and in to Central America twice. Neither of them ever put so much as a scratch on a car. Two weeks after they moved to Florida, some dumb blonde (sorry but it's true) ran a stop sign and t-boned their Volvo 164...

It seems to be the bad mix of teenagers and old geezers don't bode well for Florida drivers...

Thats what the tow truck driver said.. he said since no tickets were issued, it isn't only 1 person... and most likely both people as I was making the turn, but they were going too fast to control their car or stop. There were no horns, and I don't think they did anything to try and avoid, I know I didn't see them until about a millisecond before they hit and all I saw was the huge hood flying up. The cops tried to get the skid marks, but there really were none, plus it was raining. The tow truck driver said they use sea shells as filler in the pavement and in the rain it causes a very slick surface.

DaveSmed
02-12-06, 01:18 PM
FL drivers suck so bad, that I drove THRU New York City multiple times, and didn't have to deal with what I deal here. The drivers here are on par with New Jersey drivers, and thats is saying ALOT.

*Snicker*

lux hauler
02-12-06, 01:21 PM
Sorry to hear about the car......glad everyone is ok.

I'm sure you could buy a complete car for what it'd cost to straighten that frame.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-12-06, 01:24 PM
Not to get ahead of myself, but I think you should get a 80-92 Brougham or a 77-84 Coupe deVille, or perhaps another 77-84 SDV, but personally, I wouldn't get another SDV. Nothing against them, but I always like to try something new. But I can understand how you would love to find another SDV, especially 77-79. Something just like the D'elegance.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-12-06, 01:25 PM
Thats what the tow truck driver said.. he said since no tickets were issued, it isn't only 1 person... and most likely both people as I was making the turn, but they were going too fast to control their car or stop. There were no horns, and I don't think they did anything to try and avoid, I know I didn't see them until about a millisecond before they hit and all I saw was the huge hood flying up. The cops tried to get the skid marks, but there really were none, plus it was raining. The tow truck driver said they use sea shells as filler in the pavement and in the rain it causes a very slick surface.

hes partly right...and that may indees be the reason the pavement is so bad down here when it rains ....

thats another problem too with the alt19 and 19 and the other shit down here , its very easy to get lost roads change names down here so freqently , tampa is even worse , i know of at least 6 roads that change there name depending on loaction , and one road that goes north-south AND east west with the same name ....everyone laghs at me when i call one bruce b downs north and bruce b downs west ...

when your lost its like 100% more likely your gonna crash .....

i log at least 150 miles per day in the courtesy van and my car ....there have been a couple days ive done 400 ...to say ive been lucky i havent had a crash since i got back here in 03 is an understatment

the vans been hit twice , boath times with the other driver ...my day is coming , and i hope it happens with the van and not the 94 ....the cars got to much money in it to even think about if it got totalled (300 bucks away from $10,000)

DaveSmed
02-12-06, 01:27 PM
BTW, i'd hot wire it instead of using the key. its gonna be easier to shut it off quickly that way. Bring a fire extinguisher too. I'm gonna probably agree with lux hauler though, your best bet is to find another and use this as a donor.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-12-06, 01:37 PM
On my way to work, I cross this intersection thats on top of a hill, and theres no left turn light, its just go whenever, and so I can see myself getting to the top of this hill crossing the light, and getting broadsided by a Titan or a Tundra ( I work near a lot of dealerships) making a left turn, and I wouldnt be able to see it coming. And that would be the end of Josephine. I have a funny feeling that will happen. I've gotten close before.

Night Wolf
02-12-06, 01:41 PM
I gotta hand it to GM's quality tho. All the lights, including both headlights and the turn signals were still on... after 5mins and it was still setting in, I walked back to the car and shut the lights off. Both driver side headlights are infact still there, they were hanging by the wires so I tucked them behind the bumper. The grille broke off in 1 big solid piece... the fiberglass header panel is cracked doen the middle... the hood is bent both on the center bulge as well as the side, and the whole front end has shifted so the hood dosn't even latch, not even the secondary safety release.

This here is the intersection... I was in the turn lane that the Jetta is in, and just about where the Sundance is when we hit...

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/PDR_1143.JPG

If you look infront of the ground, you'll still see some of the kitty litter stuff they put down... and thats where I was... some sort of fluid was leaking from the Caddy... dunno what it is, but it couldn't have been much as all the fluid levels check out ok.

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/PDR_1158.JPG

Here she is:

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/PDR_1144.JPG

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/PDR_1145.JPG

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/PDR_1146.JPG

Well, my pin striping job held up pretty good... Notice how the only real damage to the bumper is the lower point in the center and the license plate frame? as well as the dent on the left side... I thought that was odd sonsidering the extent of the damage. Still can't believe the radiator didn't leak, despite bring hit by the bracing and twisted.

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/PDR_1147.JPG

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/PDR_1148.JPG

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/PDR_1149.JPG

The dent under the mirror was from the accident.. the damage on the leading edge was from me opening the door afterwords. There is another dent int he center of the door hard to see. I just noticed this while looking at the picture... above the drivers door it kinda looks like the roof is creased... I dunno though.. if it is then there is alot more going on then origanally.

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/PDR_1150.JPG

Night Wolf
02-12-06, 01:44 PM
BTW, i'd hot wire it instead of using the key. its gonna be easier to shut it off quickly that way. Bring a fire extinguisher too. I'm gonna probably agree with lux hauler though, your best bet is to find another and use this as a donor.

Yeah, it probably would be better that way. I'll bring the extinguisher, as I always keep one in the Coupe.

I know it would be much cheaper and what not to find another... but thats just it... at this point in time, I don't want another boat... and if I did get another 70's Caddy, it woudln't be a '79.... I am kinda at a cross road... thats why if I am able to just store this away for now and decide later, I'll be better off.

Here are the rest of the pictures...

Here you can see how much the bumper/front end shifted...

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/PDR_1153.JPG

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/PDR_1154.JPG

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/PDR_1156.JPG

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/PDR_1157.JPG

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-12-06, 01:53 PM
Wow holy shit! A Camry did that?!?!?!?!?

How fast was he going again?

It looks as though the dash and interior are in very good shape still though. :)

I know how much you want that Wrangler, but that wont happen for a few years though (am I right) So I think you should get like either a 75-76 deVille/Fleetwood or a 80-92 Brougham. Possibly even a 80-85 FWB Coupe...

Personally, If I was you, and if I could afford another gas hog, I would get a Mark IV or a 90-92 Brougham.

DopeStar 156
02-12-06, 01:56 PM
Oh dear Christ..... I don't think I'll be able to eat today..... Rick dude....So sorry....

Night Wolf
02-12-06, 01:58 PM
Yeah... I was kinda surprised actually... the Camry, while also totaled didn't seem as bad... but then again, just like in my mothers accident... with the same chassis DeVille, and an older Camry... I/we were at the major disadvantage.

No idea how fast she was going.. the speed limit on the road is 45, I'd have to say she was going close to it.

I'm not getting another boat for awhile... it isn't like I need another car, or another daily driver... thats what kinda sucks though... this was my fun/weekend/project car. If I was to get another boat, it would be a late 60's-mid 70's Eldorado/DeVille.... but I just can't picture that happening, especially since I don't even know if I am getting anything for this car. I want a change and right now a Wrangler is looking nice.

DaveSmed
02-12-06, 02:04 PM
Ok, makes more sense now. The steering box was probably "relocated" explaining all the binding in the column.

That really sucks to see that though. See what the body shop guys have to say about it, it looks like it could go either way according to the pictures. A new front clip would be a definite, but thats not too bad from a junkyard price wise.

Did this still have Hagerty? How do they deal with this since it's under classic car insurance?

Also, i'm a little more leery of your wanting to start it up. Remember where the fuel pump is on the big blocks..... You said something was leaking out but your fluid levels looked OK? Pay CLOSE attention to the lines and pump before you start it, and be ready to yank that wire right out of the HEI should a problem arise.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-12-06, 02:05 PM
yah that sucks pretty bad ...

one hell of a hit to bend ol iron sides up like that ...

i really like that car too .....she could be made driveable very easily , getting the frame right tho could be a chore ....then locateing what you need to put humpty dumpty back together ....

its do-able ...which is alot beatter then my G20 when it was hurt ....outside a full tube frame chaiss and hand fab sheet metal there was no saving that car ...yours to me look to be getting the frame right , and then getting the parts ...

DopeStar 156
02-12-06, 02:50 PM
Bring it baaaaaaaaaaack!

mccombie_5
02-12-06, 03:04 PM
SHIT!

I'm glad everyone is okay, but nevertheless that was your baby. I hope you can salvage something from it. It doesn't look good at all. I feel for ya, that thing was immaculate. Poor Cadi.

I also cannot believe a Camry did that, although it did have the velocity on it's side. I'm not sure that your '93 would have held up so well, they have plastic fenders don't they?

Once again glad all were okay, but it's definately a shame about the 79. <akes you feel ill at the sight of such a beautiful car ruined like that.

I thought roads in the UK were bad.....but heck that intersection looks like a nightmare.

This is the worst piece of road I am going to have to deal with daily when I drive. This rounabout is near my college, and there is NO alternative route.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Stuff/ShineyRowRoundabout.jpg

Out of five exits that roundabout has, three of them have traffic lights about 20 metres in. Its mayhem.

Night Wolf
02-12-06, 03:43 PM
Ok, makes more sense now. The steering box was probably "relocated" explaining all the binding in the column.

That really sucks to see that though. See what the body shop guys have to say about it, it looks like it could go either way according to the pictures. A new front clip would be a definite, but thats not too bad from a junkyard price wise.

Did this still have Hagerty? How do they deal with this since it's under classic car insurance?

Also, i'm a little more leery of your wanting to start it up. Remember where the fuel pump is on the big blocks..... You said something was leaking out but your fluid levels looked OK? Pay CLOSE attention to the lines and pump before you start it, and be ready to yank that wire right out of the HEI should a problem arise.

It never had Hagerty. It had classic car insurance thru my regular insurance provider - State Farm. Interesting to note is that when I was in NY, I stopped by my borker, same cool guy since I first got insurance... and said I was driving it down to FL and will be driving it around, I would like to take it off of classic car and on to regular. Well, new owner came along and they told my mother (who was making the insurance payments) to go to State Farm in the next town over, since it was her distric. When she started going there, the lady there said that it is cheaper if the '79 is under classic car, which it is, I know that... but I hope that dosn't bring up any problems... t shouldn't but who knows.

Heh, relocated is definitly the steering box. The whole steering shaft is bent and in places it shoduln't be... the engine is pushed so much that the right side exhaust manifold is nearly resting against the side of whatever.... heh... thought #7 spark plug was hard to get before? try it now. After the hit, the 425 was still running, but sounded rough, I never looked at the tach nor hit the gas or anything.... stuff like that just dosn't run thru your mind. I don't know what would cause the rough idle, I am thinking a totally trashed vaccum canister and broken vaccum lines.. which whould sound right.

Ya know... when I look at these pictures.. I just can't help but think it can be fixed... but that frame is hit hard. I dunno, if the time came around and I got all the sheet metal off, I think it would look alot better... if it was to get on a frame-strightening machine, that should line it all back up... since I need to/was going to replace the entire front steering/suspension anyway, there is really no loss on there.... The junkyard here has a handful of '77-'79 DeVilles, with the majority being '79. While no shiney paint, they are solid and in good shape... plus that Fleetwood has that aluminum hood. Cost to rebuild once the frame was strightened would be minimal, then it would need to be painted, thats where it would wait for a long time... since the whole car *could* use a repaint, maybe black... but still, nearly 30 years old... origanal paint, origanal color... nearly origanal everything...

See I dunno, its just my mind going crazy thinking about what can be done... I pushed down on the right front of the car, suspension is fine, the left side is really stiff, because the whole frame is pushed into the tire, preventing it from moving. I am sure the A-arms are bent, as the tire looks pushed back... but if I had to replace the A-arm bushings (since they were worn) then A-arms itself aren't that big of a deal... stuff like the A-arms, and all the frame stuff is like $5 each from the junkyard... new bumper is $30, new grille is like $20, fender is $25 etc.... THAT is the thing that does get to me though... the opertunity is there, the junkyard cars here are nice and not rotted out... so with the major dilema being the frame... if that could be strightened out, then who knows.... the cracked windsheild... maybe insurance would cover that since I do have comprehensive with full glass coverage on it... the crack started at the bottom left corner, where the stickers are, and kinda shot up... not at impact, but after words. But then after all this, yeah, I could buy another pretty cheap... but I dunno... I mean, I guess since my plans had me stripping the car down to pretty much what it would be stripped down to anyway, it seems like it is more of a possibility... the fact that I was going to replace all steering/suspension parts in the future anyway... kinda make then a null point, leaving the biggest issue of the frame.

Who knows.. the tires, look pretty stright in reference to each other. The main binding, from what I would see last night is where the bumper mount, mounts to the frame... If in fact most the damage is from the front wheels forward... that really isn't that much in the world of things... the steering box is obvisouly hit (maybe power steering fluid is what was on the ground.. I never checked that) and that just leaves the question of how bad is the engine out of place.... its definitly not where it should be, but its a huge engine... so a little bit of frame movement means the top and sides of the engine are moving alot.... All I can say is, tomorrow when I go there and I look at it and get under it... I'll be able to make better judgement... I'll definitly get pictures.

Night Wolf
02-12-06, 03:52 PM
I dunno if I'll try to start it... maybe not, it wouldn't really prove anything other then what I already know... it still runs. The fluid, I really think is p/s fluid, as I saw it leak out more, then just stop... and there isn't much fluid reserve in these to begin with... kinda strange that of all things.. p/s fluid is what leaks. The tow truck guy was like, yeah, probably coolant, that radiator is trashed.. so as I am looking at it I am like, well, its not that bad... and the fan isn't hitting it... so I walk over to the cap open it and a little coolant comes out and I was like, its still full... he was like no way... wow, these things are tanks.

All the firemen and police were kinda staring at the car.. there it was pertty much in the middle of the intersection... hit, but still there... I must have had half a dozen of them coming up to me asking what year it was and that it was really clean.

I mean, the thought of seeing how it is now, with pictures to prove it... then fixing her up and making it better then now... really appeals to me.. like yeah, it was in the accident, but look at it now.... and yeah, when you remove the sheet metal... well, I don't know but maybe it really isn't as bad as it appears... that front bumper definitly throws alot of things off though. Totaled to the insurance company yeah, the value to repair it is more then the little its worth... but in terms of what it is to me... to us that know these cars... it could be fixed, maybe alot for a body shop, but if you can do it yourself... I mean, it still runs... if the shift linkage was trashed, I bet it would go in gear.... if the frame wasn't smashed into the tire, I bet it would roll... so I know if the frame was pulled away from the tire and I was able to get the key and shifter to move... she would start and move under her own power.

See that... mind is going crazy again.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-12-06, 03:53 PM
another thing to keep in mind is to let it go and put the settlement towards repainting the coupe ....it would be one way to turn a tragedy into something pretty damn good .....

but after the coupe is repainted i sure wouldnt want to drive it as much , the risk of getting it hurt and all

Night Wolf
02-12-06, 03:54 PM
heh, I just got off the phone with my mother a few mins ago... and she was saying how when she moves down here, Rich (her fiance') wants her to get a new car... like a Yukon... so my mother was like, since its still a good car, but it isn't worth much, I would just give it to you, I know you would fix it up and stuff...

I know the host of issues that car has, but I also know what it has going for it... and that right there, if ends up being true... definitly starts the gears in the mind... Her car is an '89 Brougham fully loaded.

Night Wolf
02-12-06, 03:58 PM
another thing to keep in mind is to let it go and put the settlement towards repainting the coupe ....it would be one way to turn a tragedy into something pretty damn good .....

but after the coupe is repainted i sure wouldnt want to drive it as much , the risk of getting it hurt and all

Well, thats what I was thinking, I mentioned that in a previous post....

but yeah... I really don't want to get it painted and put the new lights and chrome on until I have a garage for it and don't need to rely on it for daily driver... right now, its like... if the paint gets scratched or something its like eh... add it to the list.. I still park far away and stuff so no door dings...

If I got any decent amount of money, and can in fact keep the car at our property... think the best bet would be to put it in a savings account, and add that to the down payment of the Jeep.... I know I would feel good that way, knowing it wasn't going to a loss or something.

SHERIFF
02-12-06, 04:04 PM

If you had a GREEN ARROW, then the oncoming traffic MUST have had a RED, and the fault would lie with the other driver....

Trust me on this.... once the insurance companies get involved, both drivers will claim they had the "green light". So the Camry driver's insurance will refuse to pay for the Cadillac, and Cadillac driver's insurance will refuse to pay for the Camry.

All traffic light accidents usually end up being "no-fault". Unless.... 1) you have witnesses to verify who had a green light, 2) a video exists to prove who had the green light, or 3) one of the drivers admit they ran a red light, which is not very likely nowadays.

edit: Finally got to the pictures in this subject..... looks like the Camry was speeding from the amount of damage done. And, I suspect the couple in the Camry are BOTH going to claim they had a green traffic light. This will cause a great deal of trouble in your collecting anything from the Camry insurance carrier. Your insurance could very well end up paying for the Camry and your Cadillac.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-12-06, 04:23 PM
so my mother was like, since its still a good car, but it isn't worth much, I would just give it to you, I know you would fix it up and stuff...

I know the host of issues that car has, but I also know what it has going for it... and that right there, if ends up being true... definitly starts the gears in the mind... Her car is an '89 Brougham fully loaded.

I like the way that sounds! Her '89 does need some work, but it's definetly do able. Isnt her car the same color as yours? From what I remember, I know it's got the aftermarket cloth top, and its got the Rolls Royce grille.(which I would pull off) I also recall it having a sunroof installed. Now I know a 425 isnt a direct swap in for the 1989, but could you make it fit? Didn't you say you have a 500 lying around somewhere that was gonna go in the '79?

Night Wolf
02-12-06, 04:31 PM
Trust me on this.... once the insurance companies get involved, both drivers will claim they had the "green light". So the Camry driver's insurance will refuse to pay for the Cadillac, and Cadillac driver's insurance will refuse to pay for the Camry.

All traffic light accidents usually end up being "no-fault". Unless.... 1) you have witnesses to verify who had a green light, 2) a video exists to prove who had the green light, or 3) one of the drivers admit they ran a red light, which is not very likely nowadays.

edit: Finally got to the pictures in this subject..... looks like the Camry was speeding from the amount of damage done. And, I suspect the couple in the Camry are BOTH going to claim they had a green traffic light. This will cause a great deal of trouble in your collecting anything from the Camry insurance carrier. Your insurance could very well end up paying for the Camry and your Cadillac.

There is the case of both of us having a green light.. I think thats what it was.

I called the police, got the case number, called my insurance company and reported a claim. Tomorrow I need to pick up the police report and then call the insurance claim number and give my stuff.

Since I do not have full coverage, just basic with comprehensive, the only way my car will be getting "fixed" (totaled and I collect money) is from their insurance company.

Night Wolf
02-12-06, 04:33 PM
I like the way that sounds! Her '89 does need some work, but it's definetly do able. Isnt her car the same color as yours? From what I remember, I know it's got the aftermarket cloth top, and its got the Rolls Royce grille.(which I would pull off) I also recall it having a sunroof installed. Now I know a 425 isnt a direct swap in for the 1989, but could you make it fit? Didn't you say you have a 500 lying around somewhere that was gonna go in the '79?

That car is light grey. It needs to be repainted and it needs some minor body work. It does have the pimp grille, along with every other dealer installed option. The car needs alot of work though. I never got ahold of that 500, and I woudln't bother swapping the 425. I dunno.. right now it really isn't a worry for me :).

Sandy
02-12-06, 04:33 PM
God, Rick, I am so sorry that happened to you. I wish I could dosomething to help you. The pictures look like its a real baad corner really w-i-d-e ...

I just read thru all (what like 60 posts) ~ Whew. My computer was down due to a power outage due to the snow storm. Man, I feel for you.

I been wanting to ask you, how's the '93 Coupe after the flood it went thru? Did it turn out okay??

Look, after the shock and all, wears off, I think you should fix the Sedan de Ville. It's not all that bad, and it can be made as good (or better) than it was last week. You love it & it is a beauty. Don't part it out, it's too nice.

If the frame is bent, haveit straightened, and you need a front clip, that's all. Fight the insurance company, show them the pics of how it was, produce paid bills of how much you've invested, talk to a lawyer. It seems like the other people may have gone thru a red light, if you had a green arrow to turn left, Yes? or No ?

At least it wasn't the Coupe!

Again, I am sorry for you and you'll feel much better if you repair it.

DopeStar 156
02-12-06, 04:35 PM
There you go Rick. You had that thread about concidering an 89 Brougham, so there you go. Drop the engine and trans in the 89 along with the rear end, collect whatever you could get from insurance i you get anything and repaint your mom's car and voila. Roughly the same car with a slightly different look. You have your work cut out for you.

Night Wolf
02-12-06, 04:37 PM
I just checked out NADA... thats what the insurance guys use... This car was mint before this....

Original MSRP: $12,093

Low Retail Average Retail High Retail
Base Price

$1,225 $2,850 $3,750

Options

D'elegance Package 10% 10% 10%

TOTAL PRICE $1,348 $3,135* $4,125

so....who knows.

DopeStar 156
02-12-06, 04:40 PM
I highly reccomend putting the 425, trans, and rearend in your mom's Brougham. Isn't the 80's RWD body lighter too? I'll be more than happy to provide you with any kind of pictures of anything on my car that you might wanna see for one reason or another. Good luck.

Night Wolf
02-12-06, 04:47 PM
God, Rick, I am so sorry that happened to you. I wish I could dosomething to help you. The pictures look like its a real baad corner really w-i-d-e ...

I just read thru all (what like 60 posts) ~ Whew. My computer was down due to a power outage due to the snow storm. Man, I feel for you.

I been wanting to ask you, how's the '93 Coupe after the flood it went thru? Did it turn out okay??

Look, after the shock and all, wears off, I think you should fix the Sedan de Ville. It's not all that bad, and it can be made as good (or better) than it was last week. You love it & it is a beauty. Don't part it out, it's too nice.

If the frame is bent, haveit straightened, and you need a front clip, that's all. Fight the insurance company, show them the pics of how it was, produce paid bills of how much you've invested, talk to a lawyer. It seems like the other people may have gone thru a red light, if you had a green arrow to turn left, Yes? or No ?

At least it wasn't the Coupe!

Again, I am sorry for you and you'll feel much better if you repair it.

The Coupe is great, I got her running perfect... the new ignition stuff seem to have made it run better too.

I doubt I'll be able to fight the insurance company too much... especially since it is such an iffy situation. I can print out those pictures from last week with our club meet to show the before conditiion.. tho they may say they have no way to prove the date etc...

I don't remember if i had a green arrow, or a green light.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-12-06, 04:47 PM
Rick, if your mother is giving you her Brougham for free, why not take it?!

I mean sure its the weak, but ultra reliable 307, with the subpar 7004R (or is it 2004R?) but its a free Caddy a lot like the '79!

Stoneage_Caddy
02-12-06, 04:51 PM
tho they may say they have no way to prove the date etc...

oh really ?

ok we will have our next meet at the insureance companys doorstep , did everyone keep there recpits from cheesecake factory ?

bring your boots too everyone , i like to negotiate with my size 12

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-12-06, 05:10 PM
So Rick does this make you hate Toyotas even more? :sneaky:

hahahaha! just kidding!

slk230mb
02-12-06, 05:15 PM
The Coupe is great, I got her running perfect... the new ignition stuff seem to have made it run better too.

I doubt I'll be able to fight the insurance company too much... especially since it is such an iffy situation. I can print out those pictures from last week with our club meet to show the before conditiion.. tho they may say they have no way to prove the date etc...

I don't remember if i had a green arrow, or a green light.

If your digital camera has the correct date and time set, it adds that info to every picture taken.

Destroyer
02-12-06, 05:30 PM
That really blows man. I live in Palm Harbor and I know the traffic here is the worst its ever been. I'm getting tired of all the old and clueless minority drivers around here. Most simply cannot drive, the old ones obviously is just from losing their reflexes and ability to see/hear and the minorities only because its likely they never even had a car to drive in the country they came from and as we all know unless you start driving early its hard to pick up later on in life. Probably not the time to ask but are you parting the car out?. If the wheels are ok I'd may interested in buying them for my 91 FWB. It'll be alright man, we are in Florida, these old Caddy's are plentiful and usually in good shape.

Night Wolf
02-12-06, 05:34 PM
If your digital camera has the correct date and time set, it adds that info to every picture taken.

Nope.

My camera is a PITA and everytime the battery door is opened, which is to replace the batteries or remove the SD card, the memory resets, and that resets back to 1-1-2001. So I have always left it like that.

I talked to my mother... Rich dosn't like the idea of a wrecked car sitting there... I knew that was coming... She said she'll talk to him again later tonight or tomorow... and I'll probably call tomorrow, I just don't want to talk on the phone anymore right now.

It seems like there are 2 options... car gets totaled, I get whatever money and thats it.

Or, I use the money I get from it to fix it up myself... the first thing would be to make it driveable, which would mean get the frame strightened... I don't know how much that is, the minimal would be $500 I bet...

I dunno.. right now I am in the can't get rid of mode... but I really gotta think it over.. I mean... do I really want to spend $1,000 or more to get it driveable, if even... then have to deal with the storage and repair.... or I can use the money to fix up the Coupe, or put away and save for another car....

I dunno... I mean, looking it it, its like there is so much potential...

*IF* I did decide to let her go, and I can strip it of some parts, I want the modified 472 intake manifold and rebuilt carb. I would like the 4 wheels and tires. I am going to take my tachometer out.... I dunno, I like those seats, I would want them, but really, I don't have a spot for them, nor a use for them... I would probably pull some of the little things I added... those wreath and crest light covers and give them to someone... the 4x6 Kenwood speakers in the dash....

This sucks... reality is setting in, and with the storing it as it is right now option quickly going away, it leaves take the money and go or attempt to repair....

The fact that I am only here temporary, do not have a house and driveway of my own to store it and keep it, and that I'll be moving in a year off to where ever, really adds to it...

I just don't know what to do.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-12-06, 05:42 PM
Nope.

My camera is a PITA and everytime the battery door is opened, which is to replace the batteries or remove the SD card, the memory resets, and that resets back to 1-1-2001. So I have always left it like that.

I talked to my mother... Rich dosn't like the idea of a wrecked car sitting there... I knew that was coming... She said she'll talk to him again later tonight or tomorow... and I'll probably call tomorrow, I just don't want to talk on the phone anymore right now.

It seems like there are 2 options... car gets totaled, I get whatever money and thats it.

Or, I use the money I get from it to fix it up myself... the first thing would be to make it driveable, which would mean get the frame strightened... I don't know how much that is, the minimal would be $500 I bet...

I dunno.. right now I am in the can't get rid of mode... but I really gotta think it over.. I mean... do I really want to spend $1,000 or more to get it driveable, if even... then have to deal with the storage and repair.... or I can use the money to fix up the Coupe, or put away and save for another car....

I dunno... I mean, looking it it, its like there is so much potential...

*IF* I did decide to let her go, and I can strip it of some parts, I want the modified 472 intake manifold and rebuilt carb. I would like the 4 wheels and tires. I am going to take my tachometer out.... I dunno, I like those seats, I would want them, but really, I don't have a spot for them, nor a use for them... I would probably pull some of the little things I added... those wreath and crest light covers and give them to someone... the 4x6 Kenwood speakers in the dash....

This sucks... reality is setting in, and with the storing it as it is right now option quickly going away, it leaves take the money and go or attempt to repair....

The fact that I am only here temporary, do not have a house and driveway of my own to store it and keep it, and that I'll be moving in a year off to where ever, really adds to it...

I just don't know what to do.
your in a simialr position as me , i have no space for storeage ...so i keep having to pass up project cars ....and i still have to pass by that fiero every day ont he way to school ...no space = no second car

IT SUCKS !!!!

90Brougham350
02-12-06, 06:08 PM
Rick, I just saw this thread. My condolences to you sir. I used to love to stare at the pics you used to post of her, after you got the door painted, and before and after shots; what a beautiful Cadillac! I'll miss her, although not nearly as I'm sure you will. Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you're alright, but sad to see another classic go! :ill:

Sandy
02-12-06, 07:08 PM
A friend told me that in N.J. the #1 car involved in major accidents (damage over $1,000.00) is the Toyota Camry first and the Corolla second. He is with the PBA and it was in some booklet that thet put out, I think. Ya all know how much Sandy hates the Toyopets, honDUHs and Piss-Ons, don't you? !!

They actually seem to pick out & pick on Domestics! I don't ever recall seeing a toyopet smashed into a honDUH. Usually into a Chevy or a Ford.

mccombie_5
02-12-06, 07:14 PM
Toyopets, honDUHs and Piss-Ons

LMAO

:histeric:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-12-06, 07:38 PM
It would be pretty neat to bring this car back and fix 'er up. Kinda like Christine. Actually, the story of this parallels that book a lot!
- 18 year old buys old car from old person for $300
- 18 year old fixes said car up
- car gets smashed up ( not vandals in Ricks situation though, thank god!)
- car arises again and kicks ass! ;) :sneaky:

Rick, this can be your Phoenix!

If you got it fixed up and everything just like it was, would it drive the same?
I've heard stories about cars getting in real bad accidents and getting fixed up and somethings dont work like they used to. For example that Taurus that my dad owned, the air never blew out of the dash vents, now we're not positive that it was in an accident before we owned it, but we're pretty sure that the guy that sold it to us was a crook.

mccombie_5
02-12-06, 07:40 PM
The 79 Sedan deVille de'phoenix

Sandy
02-12-06, 07:48 PM
Not fancy enough, Craig....

d' phoeneux a la d' ville

PS / Toyopet is was the original name of thecar & company ! I have a couple of
1963 Toyopet brochures among the collection.

honDUH is part of an unfinished sentence.... HonDUHwhatwasIthinking?

mccombie_5
02-12-06, 07:51 PM
Not fancy enough, Craig....

d' phoeneux a la d' ville

Thats it! Thats the one!

C'mon Rick, you have to fix it now we have a new name for her!!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-12-06, 07:51 PM
Hey Rick, This would be a good chance to fix the parts of the car you dont necessarity like. For example, I remember you telling me you weren't crazy about the color combo. Now you have an excuse to change it to Black with the Red cloth interior!

mccombie_5
02-12-06, 07:53 PM
Oh yeah!

In a "bad guy from the movies" kinda way!

Imagine what people would think if you pulled into their rear view mirror sights!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-12-06, 08:12 PM
A 1977-84 Deville or 77-92 Brougham is a very intimidating car to see in your mirror at night! More intimidating is a '58-60 Lincoln.
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/trombinoscar/lincoln/lc580402.jpg
Just imagine seeing that tailgate you!

Most intimidating is the 75-79 Lincoln Continentals!
http://i12.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/31/99/2b_12_sb.JPG

It would be scary as shit to see a '77 Continental tailgate you, just imagine you're driving around and you see this bigass mob car stay behind you, and you cant get it off your tail. Now that would be scary!

DopeStar 156
02-12-06, 08:15 PM
Do iiiiiit! Bring it baaaaaaaaaaack!

Night Wolf
02-12-06, 08:25 PM
Well, I talked to Rich... basically heard everything I didn't in reguards to the car.

It really looks like I am going to have to take what I can for it and let it go.

It just sucks... if it was back home, I'd be able to have it at home and fix it up... not the case here.

It just really sucks that of now nice the rest of it is, and the potential of what is there... it has to get junked.

Just the idea of sending my car to a junkyard for people to ravage thru, then get crushed.... but its out of my hands.

I do want the wheels... but I don't know how I can go about taking them, as I don't have any other wheels to put on it. So what would I do? when they determine it was a total loss and ready to take it away, I ask if I can remove the tires and wheels? then its sitting on the ground and they drag it up on the truck? I don't think it'll work out too well.

I mean... on the flip side.. I did have the car for nearly 2 years, made a huge trip with it... lots of cool memories. I paid $300 for it, fixed it up... got it looking mint, had my fun with it... I had fun with it in High school, time in between and now in college. The car was bought in Maryland and owned by an old lady in FL, where it was later driven up to NY...

What would you do? Well, I mean it isn't like I really have a choice...

but why am I having such a hard time letting go of the car? I mean... even if I get money for it, still... its just like this shouldn't have happened...

Just when EVERYTHING was working, including the AC... I fixed the cruise control, the wipers... well, I still have the brand new power antenna at my apartment.. All the days I'd go to the junkyard and get little things here and there... I chaged the whole dash trim What was I doing New Years Eve night at midnight 2 years ago? Under the hood of the '79 replacing cap and rotor and plug wires... hell I remember how happy I was to fix the door strikers with new ones sot the doors all closed nice... that took a few days.

Just to see a classic have to get towed away to the junkyard and there is nothing I can do about it. I wish I knew someone that could use it around here, either to fix or for parts... as I would give them the full option of buying it from me, for whatever the insurance company would want to buy it back... usually like $50?

I'll keep litte things.. 4 factory floor mats... the origanal vinyl case with manual, paper work and origanal window sticker... origanal 8-track tape still in shrink wrap.. I have the origanal hood ornament in the glove box since I replaced it with the other one... and I want that intake manifold and carburator.

Should I really be this upset over it? its not like it was a car you saw all the time like a freakin Camry.... I just don't know how/what to feel and... well, I really have no choice in what to do.

SHERIFF
02-12-06, 09:01 PM
There is the case of both of us having a green light.. I think thats what it was.

Based upon looking at your diagram of the crash again, and the fact you say both of you had a green light...... I think you're screwed. The insurance carrier for the Camry will claim you failed to yield the right of way to them. If it ever got as far as a case in civil court, I'm afraid the judge would agree. Unless you can prove the Camry was excessively exceeding the speed limit. That's gonna be pretty hard to prove because you have made no mention of an accident reconstruction team at the crash.

It's pretty sad. I always loved the big long 4 door Cadillacs of that time period. My father would only buy the 2 door models which were about a foot+ shorter. He loved his 2 door cars.

Let me sell you this one...... 33,000 miles. ;)

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/194/194/4046.jpg

Night Wolf
02-12-06, 09:02 PM
The day after I brought her home...

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/door/PDR_0587.JPG

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/door/PDR_0589.JPG

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/door/PDR_0590.JPG

The door before I got it repainted:

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/door/PDR_0175.JPG

afterwords:

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/door/PDR_0188.JPG

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/door/PDR_0195.JPG

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/door/PDR_0197.JPG

recent picture I took... I was really happy with my pin stiping...

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/79-2.JPG

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/79-1.JPG

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-12-06, 09:05 PM
Rick, I want you to take pics of my cars. Your pics are always the best. So much thought and consideration goes into the pics.

illumina
02-12-06, 09:41 PM
Geezus Rick!!! Sorry to hear this.

When I got into my accident a while back, I was the at-fault driver, but I was not cited by the police (turns out the officer at my accident scene knew my uncle who is a cop) but my insurance stilll had to pay for $5800.00 in damages to the Kia Amante that I hit. I recieved nothing at all...

The total repair bill for my car (covered by me) was about $100.00 from junkyard parts. In all, I replaced the left headlight housing, left fender, front bumper, bumper shock absorbers, and the hood. I still have to paint the parts of it because the car that I raped for the parts was a darker gray than mine. But the overall cost was very cheap. Once I have the entire car re-shot (same paint peeling as your coupe), all that will be needed is the pin-striping and she's back to new.

Anyways, I hope everything turns out well for you :o

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-12-06, 09:49 PM
Illumina, when did that happen?

gdwriter
02-12-06, 10:12 PM
Even after a couple pages worth of posts to prepare myself for the pictures, I was still sickened when I saw them. I'm so sorry to see such a beautiful old survivor smashed up like that. I'm also amazed that you came through unscathed, which is the only good thing to come out of it.

It's too bad you appear out of options for possibly repairing it. I'd defintely salvage everything possible.

Night Wolf
02-12-06, 10:33 PM
There IS alot to be salvaged... if the means were there...

I am starting to accept it, and what happened... and that it is a loss....

the only thing at this time is to wait if I get any money... that is the deciding factor... if I come out with no money, and no car.. I'll really be upset... if I get even a fair value for it, atleast I won't feel as bad...

And, while talking to my mother again on the phone, she made it confirmed that I am getting her '89 Brougham when she comes down here and gets another car.... Yeah, that car has alot of issues, but... who knows... just get to start over in the project. I have always like that style alot more then mine... so I guess its something to kind of look forward to for the future.

I really hope that in the mix of things and all... there is some way I end up getting something for my car.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-12-06, 11:15 PM
Rick, if you get her '89, it'll be just like when you got the '79.

In poor condition, for dirt cheap, then you work to restore it and fix it up and wham! You have your self a nice RWD Caddy for dirt cheap!

Adam
02-13-06, 12:17 AM
wow Rick, this really sucks. i seen the thread and i was like NOOOOOO!! the Good Lord knows what He is doing and His hand of protection was on you... i know how you feel though. hate to say it but you will never get over it. you will move on and buy new (well you know what i mean) Caddies but your first Cadillac love will stay with you forever, especially if you put as much work into it. i still miss my Fleetwood. people ask me why because i have such a nice new one but they just dont understand. i really hate this for you, very much so, but God has a plan for you and you just got to learn to step back and let Him do it and not get in the way. but i can just about guaruntee you are thinking "why didnt i bring my Olds down here?" i question "why did i have to leave 10 minutes early?" we cant go back and stop ourselves but we can learn from this and move on... speaking of moving on dont forget to get your wheels off that thing!

lux hauler
02-13-06, 12:39 AM
I'd pull the engine, trans, wheels and scrap the rest. Put the stuff you pull off of it on the Brougham......(don't forget to get the motor mounts.....cages and frame mounts).

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-13-06, 10:57 AM
Agreed. The heart of the '79 shall live on in his mom's 89 Brougham :)

Night Wolf
02-13-06, 11:37 AM
I'd pull the engine, trans, wheels and scrap the rest. Put the stuff you pull off of it on the Brougham......(don't forget to get the motor mounts.....cages and frame mounts).

I have no means to store it while I remove the engine and tranny, and I don't even have the stuff to do it... then I have no place to store them either... it sucks living away from home in an apartment with reguards to this.

lux hauler
02-13-06, 12:01 PM
You CAN do what you really want to do.

If I was close, I'd buy it.

lux hauler
02-13-06, 12:08 PM
As far as the wheels go....five lug Chevy truck wheels will bolt right up. Find a set of steel wheels and put them in place of the wheels that are on it now.

Adam
02-13-06, 01:27 PM
so what are you gonna do in the mean time for a vehicle? have your olds brought down or are you gonna buy another one?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-13-06, 01:37 PM
so what are you gonna do in the mean time for a vehicle? have your olds brought down or are you gonna buy another one?

He's got that '93 Coupe down there, and it's running great now after the water damage.

Adam
02-13-06, 01:42 PM
i thought he left that and the Olds back in NY? oh wait, i thought he left the 79 and the Olds back in NY? water damage? what the... when did that happen?

slk230mb
02-13-06, 01:55 PM
i thought he left that and the Olds back in NY? oh wait, i thought he left the 79 and the Olds back in NY? water damage? what the... when did that happen?

He took the Coupe down, then took the 79 down. Last week he drove through a huge puddle and hydrolocked the engine, but he fixed that all up.

Adam
02-13-06, 01:58 PM
He took the Coupe down, the took the 79 down. Last week he drove through a huge puddle and hydrolocked the engine, but he fixed that all up.

dang... Rick, if i was having your luck i would just stay inside away from cars. because the way your luck is going you are gonna run into a semi hauling gas and blow you and FL right off the map...

DBA-One
02-13-06, 07:24 PM
Hey, were in Tampa are these houses. None of those photos look like Florida at all. I'm a Florida cracker. Born and rasied in Pinellas county for the last 33 years and I've never seen houses that look like the ones in the photos of your car.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-13-06, 07:27 PM
Rick, did you notice what was wrong with that 93-96 FWB in the backround of those pics?

Night Wolf
02-13-06, 07:47 PM
Well... this flat out sucks....

So today I went to the yard and see the car, talk with the guy...

since I don't have full coverage, my insurance company isn't going to pay for anything.... including the storage fee... which is $30/day.

That means *I* have to pay $30/day storage.

I called my insurance co. like they told me to... but I then found out that was if I had full coverage for them to send an adjuster out and stuff... I don't the guy said nothing he can do.

So sicne the mistake was made that neither of us got each others insurance info, I have no idea who THEIR insurance was... so I called the police up asking if I can get it, since the cop wrote it all down and they said no, they can't give it out and, they can't look it up until the police report is made.

The police report takes 3-4 days. She said I can talk to the cop that is doing to report...

he is off Sunday and Monday, and works midnight-7AM. That sucks.

so they put a message in for him to call me, either around midnight-1AM or after 6AM.

Until I get this police report, I can't go any further, I don't know who is at fault etc...

And I can't keep affording to pay this storage fee... so tomorrow I am going to call the junkyard I previous went to... to get parts for THIS freakin car.. and tell them my situation, if I can have it towed there (AAA) and if they ca let it sit untouched until I get the police report and it is all determined. Once it is done, I'll tell them they can have the car, I'll sign the title over to them. I want my license plates (even though the front is trashed.. its mine) I'm gonna tell them I want the 4 wheels and tires, and I would like the intake manifold, carburator and air cleaner... and if I can remove the battery. Its jambed in and kinda pressed in, but not cracked or leaking. Thats literally a brand new battery... like $80, best one from Advance auto (not Optima) and the battery on the Coupe is really weak... and I don't have the abality to jump my cars anymore...

So then... thats it. The car becomes one of the other many and sits in the yard while people ravage thru it... I don't even know if I would want to go in there and see it... This car, sitting in the junkyard.

Its a total loss... I mean, yeah, it could be really worse, and I think I am over the emotional part after I saw the excessive damage today, plus my health is fine, neck is sore but other then that, I am ok... thats a blessing right there.

When I think about it, and how I could have sold it for atleast $3,000 it really gets to me... its like, that was cash in my hand... but then, in the world of things, $3,000 is nothing at all... I am young and $3,000 is going to come and go so many times.... really, if anything its what the car ment to me, and the amount of work I put into it... but at the same time, I enjoyed it, had lots of good times... but I did often think about selling it... so I no longer have to worry about that, only difference is, I am out of the money.

The car... is really trashed though... the hit was hard... MOST the damage is from the front wheels forward.. but the roof is buckled, and the main frame rail under the car... *behind* the driver side wheel is buckeled... the steering is completly trashed.... really, after seeing it today, and getting all I could grab from it... it was just like... ok, I gotta move on... it just kills me that a MINT interior is going to waste.. really nice seats, new headliner (owner I bought it from) etc... and there are alot of mint body panels.. all 3 doors (since the drivers door is damaged) including the rear door I had repainted (now paint worn where drivers door hits) and the trunk lid...

I got the tach out, my front speakers, everything in the glove box including all origanal paper work, the shrink-wrap 8-track tape, the origanal hood ornament, the 4 wreath and crest light lens covers I put on, and in the trunk I got the 4 factory floor mats as well as the trunk mat I added.... oh yeah, I removed the "DeVille d'Elegance" badge from the glove box.

Gosh, I gotta move on... but I can't believe I lost a classic... I am really surprised at the damage this car took, especially when the Camry wasn't THAT bad after seeing this... but They did have a whole lot more speed on their side... plus the fender of their moving car vs the left front corner of my car... physicis was on their side.

I went back to the intersection... stood there for about 10minutes watching the lights, watching traffic, seeing where the cars ended up...

The only green (yellow and red) lights in that turn lane is a green left arrow... I had a green light, that means *I had a green arrow* which would mean they had a red light, which would explain the car in the right lane was in deed stopped... as I went out and made my turn she had to have been blowing that light, or never intending to stop.....

The problem? I can't prove that. Without any witness, and unless they admit fault... not going to happen.... I can't prove that... No tickets were given, that I know of... my word against theirs. I was watching the cars that were in the left turn lane, and where my car ended up (can tell by the stains from fluid still on the ground) and I was literally halfway thru making my turn when she hit... After the hit, the front of my rotated about 45* to the left.... THAT is alot of force to get the front of my Cadillac from facing, say a North West heading, to a West direction... and thats exactly how it ended up.

It really sucks I never got their insurance... I can't believe it, that is like car accident 101 right there... insurance and plate number... I know it was a FL plate. Once I do get it though, I will give their insurance company a call, I just hope they don't say it was too long, I'll explain that in the mix of things, I never got the stuff and this was the soonest I was able to call....

I am not saying anything is definite, but its not looking good... car is gone... but AFA me getting anything out of it.

Almost makes me want to add collosion to the Coupe...

but I gotta say, this has resparked my love for the Coupe even more.... its like, wow, I still have it. It has made me alot more aware while driving too... I know I am much more anal about my following distance and other cars around me... that Camry came out of nowhere.

93,622 miles the 1979 Sedan DeVille d'Elegance traveled the Earth... bought in Maryland, mainly a FL car until ~2001, driven to NY, then I got her March 25th, 2003 and started the fixin' up... over Chirstmas break I drove her down to FL with my friend... *the best* car to ever be driven on the highway. ever. That trip alone made me *really* like the car. Then this.... 93,622 miles in 27 years... the car had so much life left.... so much.

But I guess I gotta do what I was told... accept it, then turn around and don't look back.

Night Wolf
02-13-06, 07:48 PM
Rick, did you notice what was wrong with that 93-96 FWB in the backround of those pics?

front left damage IIRC

CoupeDevilleRob
02-13-06, 08:09 PM
This sucks so bad, I really feel for you. If I were you, I'd strip every usable part I could from it. Sell 'em on eBay or something, cars are worth a lot more as parts than they are whole. Store parts in your bedroom if you have to (I've done it and had my mom flip out). Look at it this way, even though it's dead, parts of it are living on in other cars. That made me feel better when my dad junked his 75 Coupe Deville, the engine and tranny went into another Caddy, the damn thing is probably still running like a top. Plus you'd make a nice chunk of money for other projects.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-13-06, 08:13 PM
If I was you, instead of letting it sit there and get picked through, I would ask the owners of the junkyard to crush it ASAP. I think if my deville got in an accident, and I was the one to crush it, it would put some closure on the situation.

Thats just me though, many would not do this.

Thats really to unfortunate you're not getting any money for it. I feel bad man. Atleast you're getting your mom's Brougham for free.

Night Wolf
02-13-06, 08:33 PM
I doubt they crush it first... to them its money, and every part someone takes off it, is money they get... That poor rear sway bar from the '79 Fleetwood Brougham... never made it too far.

All I am going to ask for is the wheels and tires, the intake manifold/carb/air cleaner and if possible, the battery. Then its theirs.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-13-06, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I think at our local junkyard, they give it like 3 months, then its crusher time.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-13-06, 08:42 PM
IIRC, When Chuck Dobbins brought his 1990 SDV to the junkyard, he had them crush it in front of him.

JimHare
02-13-06, 11:25 PM
The only green (yellow and red) lights in that turn lane is a green left arrow... I had a green light, that means *I had a green arrow* which would mean they had a red light, which would explain the car in the right lane was in deed stopped... as I went out and made my turn she had to have been blowing that light, or never intending to stop.....

Let me get this right - (well, left, I guess.. lol)

You were in a Left Turn lane? Or the Left lane of a Two-lane division?

You had a GREEN ARROW, because the only light in THAT LANE was a RED/YELLOW/GREEEN left-turn arrow?

There was a third car in the opposing lanes, that the Camry went by just as it hit you? (See my italics in your quote)

If there was a witness wouldn't the police have his information? Wouldn't he be in the position to tell that his (and the Camry's) light was RED, which it would have had to have been if you had a GREEN ARROW?

I don't mean to bug on this but I'd hate to see you lose this battle...

Night Wolf
02-13-06, 11:37 PM
I don't know if the stopped car was in the right or left lane... either way the Camry was in the other lane...

and yes, that would be a witness.

But nobody freakin stopped!

From what I remember, there were people at all 4 corners, and nobody at all stoped... nothing! FL drivers SUCK.

Really, if I was to get a lawyer and take it to court etc... maybe something coul dbe done... but... for what? I don't have the money for it, I definitly can't take the time out from school, and really, it isn't worth more stress on me then already. The loss is a ~$3,000. Nobody was killed, nobody was injured, a house didn't get burnt down etc... in the world of things, its just another car accident that happens 100's of times a day. It sucks, and I really hope some how, I end up getting something from it, but that dosn't seem like the case, so no reason convincing myself otherwise... atleast now I am prepared for a total loss, so anything, if anything I do get, is like, Wow... thats cool.

Adam
02-13-06, 11:39 PM
three to four days? thats crazy man, i got mine the next day. even talked to the officer who worked the scene. he told me about the time he wrecked his favorite car and all that, nice guy. i had full coverage so i didnt have to pay the tow bill or the storage bill or anything. of course the same day i had it taken to a garage and let the insurance company know where it was hoping they would say it wasnt totaled. well the totaled it out and i went and got all my stuff out of it... wheels, hydraulics, batteries, cds, etc.

Night Wolf
02-13-06, 11:46 PM
I went back to the intersection, parked there at the used car dealership then walked over and watched the lights and cars for about 10mins...

Another view of the intersection... the turn lane I was in was to the right of that yellow poll...

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1163.JPG

Toyota in the process of making the left turn...

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1164.JPG

Chrysler has a yellow arrow, other lights are red.

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1165.JPG

The lamp sign I was standing against... that medeian is where the Camry rolled off to...

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1166.JPG

See the dark spot on the ground right int he middle of the picture? THAT is where the Caddy ended up after the crash, since that is the residue from the fluid that leaked out... as you can see I was clearly halfway thru the turn already.... Hard to tell if the Camry was in the left or right lane (since only 2 lanes from that direction go stright) as the Caddy got pushed back and to the side from the crash....

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1167.JPG

This is an interesting picture, because I'd have to say that Ford Econoline is in the EXACT spot I got hit... that is the standard "arc" of the turn... then you can see how much the Caddy got pushed from the crash.

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1168.JPG

This is where the Camry stopped... she first stopped right infront of my car, I guess then let off the brakes or whatever and it rolled until it hit the curb... you can see part of the chrome trim from my lights on the ground next to the 6... still some flares there too.

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1169.JPG

JimHare
02-13-06, 11:51 PM
Jeeze, Rick they had a big ass accident right in front of them and just drove off?...

I am very sorry for your trouble, believe me. Although I know there's a money crunch involved, this does illustrate the need sometimes for having collision on a car that is worth more/would cost more to repair than the KBB or Insurance value puts on it. Of course, that's easy for me to say - for a 18 year old guy in Florida, your insurance probably would have been a hell of a lot higher than mine is..

Night Wolf
02-14-06, 12:06 AM
And.... everyones favorite... wrecked car pictures...

The front end on '77-'96 GM RWD chassis is *really* tough... learned that from the demo derby guys. The back end is what buckles right over the rear axel... but the front is tough...

notice how *most* the damage is infront of the front wheels... THAT is why it probably *could* be fixed if someone was dedicated... but definitly not me, can't do it at this time.

Anyway, angle hits to the frame are the worst... not only was this an angle hit at the corner, but it was sideways and at a high speed (them) It is probably the worst freakin way to get hit... poor car. If it was head on, I think it'd be a whole lot different.

Look at the wheels in reference to the windsheild... they are pretty much stright look at the bumper in reference to the wheels... THAT is how much everything got twisted... and that bumper isn't hanging or anything either, its on there solid. also notice how the bumpr got pushed down while the header panel went up... note the general direction of the hood.. THAT is closest to "normal" and even then, the hood is bent.... still... I love that huge steel hood.

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1170.JPG

fender is pulled away... and again, note how much the front end is pushed.

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1171.JPG

Once I saw this... I knew I was dealing with alot more.... roof buckled... with the padded vinyl roof (still origanal) who knows how much damage is really done.

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1172.JPG

driver door is pushed back nearly into rear door... I can get the driver door to close all the way (as in the picture) but I gotta slam it, its really tight, and the edge hits the back door... that back door is the door I had the rust removed and repainted for $260.

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1173.JPG

passenger door... looks like the door actually pulled away form the rear door... the pin striping never lined up, but not to this extreme.. the top window frame of the door nearly hits the trim on the roof....

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1174.JPG

underbody... you can see how the sway bar, for the most part stayed stright... which means the front wheels, for the most part are stright... the front of the frame rails bend, thats why the sway bar links there are bent over alot.

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1175.JPG

Take a look at that steering box. Even when I turned the key on, which would unlock the column... the wheel is stuck, the whole shaft is jambed. Also not the sway bar link thingy here... bent more.

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1176.JPG

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1177.JPG

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1178.JPG

Let this be a testimate to the strength of tubular steel. None of it really buckled... yet it bent, twisted and sheered bolts off the places that it ounts to... on the right side of the picture, over the driver side wheel, that thing is totally messed up, ripped right off the side of the car.... You can see the hood ornament broke off.. from the accident.. it was either from the force (damn) or the side mirror hit it, as this is where it would have hit... their driver side mirror broke off an was laying on the ground. Wonder if my hood ornament did that... if so, my hood ornament for their side mirror... fair enough.

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1179.JPG

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-14-06, 12:20 AM
How does a front end collision get the roof to buckle?

Night Wolf
02-14-06, 12:21 AM
Jeeze, Rick they had a big ass accident right in front of them and just drove off?...

I am very sorry for your trouble, believe me. Although I know there's a money crunch involved, this does illustrate the need sometimes for having collision on a car that is worth more/would cost more to repair than the KBB or Insurance value puts on it. Of course, that's easy for me to say - for a 18 year old guy in Florida, your insurance probably would have been a hell of a lot higher than mine is..

I still have NY plates and NY insurance... which is cheaper then here in FL.

I don't have collosion on the Coupe, but I am thinking about it... adding nearly $100/month though... if I was to set aside $100/month in a bank account.. think of the money I would save... its been almost 3 years already.. the book value on a car like this.. what? not even $3,000? But i gotta say... it is making me think about it.

I like how Hagerty classic car insurance does it... you tell them how much its worth in the event of a total loss, and your premium is based on that... when i was trying it out for the '79, if I put a $5,000 value, it would have been the same as I paid for classic car insurance thru my insurance company (like $180/year) but, I would have got $5,000.... who knows though, but I do know on an older car that dosn't have a high book value... its just not worth it. As nice of a car as it was... to the insurance company a freakin 1995 Honda Civic is probably worth more then my '79 DeVille.

Anyway, here are the rest of the pictures... you can see how much its shifted... quite a bit.

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1182.JPG

broke off the mounting point...

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1183.JPG

I bet #7 spark plug is a joy to get to now....

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1184.JPG

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1185.JPG

here is something interesting... the hit was so hard, with so much force, and at such an extreme angle.. it sheered the hood latch pin right off, then bent the secondary relase, and my hood flew up so hard it nearly bent the mounting brackets.

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1186.JPG

it goes up and down fine... but dosn't latch on to a thing.

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1187.JPG

Front left frame railll. I'm pretty sure that is supposed to be stright, as its where the shock absorber for the bumper mounts... and now its.... at a 90* angle. This would also explain why the steering box is frigged.

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1188.JPG

windshield cracked after the car was brought here... hood opens up to vinyl padding on A-pillar... door hits hood when opened.

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/2001_0105/PDR_1189.JPG

This car is solid steel... even right now after its all twisted up, I could jump on it and it'll rock the whole car...

all I gotta say is... that Camry had to be going fast... posibly much faster then the 45mph speed limit... as a Cmary going 45mph that dosn't even hit head on... shouldn't cause this much damage to this car... if I was going not even 10mph making my turn, then the only way for their car to cause more damage is for their speed to be higher, since their mass isn't increasing, to increase the force with the same amount of mass... you need a much higher velocity.

I mean... when I was looking at this thing... I dunno, but it just looks like alot more force was involved... maybe not though, maybe it was just from the extreme angle and direction of force... but something was definitly going on that wasn't normal... I don't think any car could sustain a hit like this and not be totaled, let alone still driveable... sure the '79 isn't the biggest Cadillac ever made.. but damn, its close.. and it sure is a tough chassis.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-14-06, 12:25 AM
Looking at those pics, I never would have thought a Camry hit you. It looks as though only a friggin Freightliner could do that!

Night Wolf
02-14-06, 12:29 AM

There was so much force concentracted on the extreme driver side, that it actually twisted the frame sideways.... since it compressed the driver side and stretched out the passenger side... all that force had to go somewhere... up the A-pillar and into the roof. The roof is a major point of added strength to the body of the car... thats a problem with convertibles.. no where for that force to go, so they use extra stiff chassis bracing.. which while it helps.. still can't replace a full hard top.

Also to note, when I got under the car, right behind the front left wheel... the frame rail is buckeld.... so while most of the damage was in front of the front wheels... the frame definitly has alot of stuff going on.

At first I thought the car did bad... but when looking at these pictures and the force involved... this thing really is a tank... and I wonder how much of the fact that I walked away with nothing more then a sore neck (still) is truely due to the fact that its a huge car that held up well.... Just don't know if I was in an Accord or something, even with airbags... if I would have been any better... probably worse...

on, and another thing....

WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT!!!! I *ALWAYS* wear my seat belt.. and at the impact, this 27 year old seat belt did as it was designed to do, and locked up... no part of my body, except for my hands even made contact with the steering wheel. If I wasn't wearing the seat belt, I would have gotten thrown forward, head smashed into the windshiled and chest into the wheel.

It happened so fast, all I remember is seeing a flash, and within a millisecond, my brain registering WTF! I had time to barely get my foot on the brakes and get a tight grip of both hands on the wheel to brace myself... all instinct as I never had time to even think about it... the next thing I remember is the loud, but dull crashing noise and just feeling the car getting pushed back and to the side, and staring out the windsheild as that huge hood flys up thinking.. WTF... why is that up?.... sitting in the car witht he 425 stuff running... I then saw the Camry and realized I was in an accident.. shifter was jambed, key was jambed... but I was able to get out.

Can't say its something I'd want to do again... but I definitly want to know where that Camry came from.

*Oh, and I checked the power steering fluid... and its full. So I have no idea what that fluid is that drained out.... maybe the bottle of transmission fluid I had next to the Mobil oil, since it was right infront of the vaccum canister.... or, maybe it was washer fluid, since it WAS full but looked empty, and that thing got busted up... engine oil full, tranny fluid full, coolant full and p/s fluid full... as well as the brakes full (since I pumped it a few times and they are firm) That means there was no fluid loss except for... washer fluid? I dunno... then again asher fluid wouldn't leave stains on the ground... either way, something leaked out from somewhere... it wasn't alot on the ground, so maybe something in some of the lines or something... actually I never got a good look at the tranny fluid.. maybe a cooler line pulled out from the radiator... I dunno.

DaveSmed
02-14-06, 12:54 AM
WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT!!!! I *ALWAYS* wear my seat belt.. and at the impact, this 27 year old seat belt did as it was designed to do, and locked up... no part of my body, except for my hands even made contact with the steering wheel. If I wasn't wearing the seat belt, I would have gotten thrown forward, head smashed into the windshiled and chest into the wheel.

I'll echo this statement, this is something I have a bad habit of NOT doing. I wish I was wearing it when I was in the BMW.... After it got hit and rolled from the impact, I think landed on the rearview mirror. Ouch.

Tommy Deville
02-14-06, 12:56 AM
Wow dude, you are so lucky You walked away, That Camry had to be going close to 60 mph to that much damage to you, You have to try to get the wheels off, to bad they wont fit on your coupe. Sorry about your loss, but its better to lose the car than lose a limb or life.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-14-06, 01:01 AM
but its better to lose the car than lose a limb or life.

Yeah I agree wholly! I mean its not like there are just a handful of '79 deVilles left. There are lots of them around for if you wanna get another sometime. Now just be glad you werent driving a '59 Eldorado or something like that :)

mccombie_5
02-14-06, 04:53 AM

Forgive me if this has already been answered, I'm skim reading, but:

Because the front of the car was hit, and this is NOT a monocoque car, the frame and body (if im reading this right) have split apart, the frame being forced down and left, and the body being forced up, but because the back of the body was stil connected, the body had to let some of the tension out, which it did by folding.
Imagine you have two pieces of plywood glued together on top of one another, and you drive a chisel or something between them, one piece of plywood would split because of the opposite forces acting on it, the glue on one end is holding them together, but the chisel at the other is forcing them apart. something has to give.

Metal rarely "splits" at speeds that Rick has mentioned, So it folded, any more and it may have split to a minor degree.

mccombie_5
02-14-06, 04:58 AM
I'll echo this statement, this is something I have a bad habit of NOT doing. I wish I was wearing it when I was in the BMW.... After it got hit and rolled from the impact, I think landed on the rearview mirror. Ouch.

I'll also echo this, its lethal, if you are a front seat passenger, you have dashboard and winscreen to contend with.

If you are a rear seat passenger, you hit the seat in front, seat moves forward, driver is crushed between your weight travelling at 30mph (multiply your weight by 30) and the steering wheel. The driver dies. Dont go thinking its ok to do it if youre behind the passenger side, because its almost certain that youwill hit the passenger headrest with your face, and if you dont end up with your nose bone in your brain, you end up with a nice disfiguirment.

mylac
02-14-06, 05:18 AM
Just saw your post. Sorry to hear about your ride. Seems like you've taken it pretty well. If that happened to my baby, I'd go crazy. Good luck on everything.

Night Wolf
02-14-06, 11:48 AM
Forgive me if this has already been answered, I'm skim reading, but:

Because the front of the car was hit, and this is NOT a monocoque car, the frame and body (if im reading this right) have split apart, the frame being forced down and left, and the body being forced up, but because the back of the body was stil connected, the body had to let some of the tension out, which it did by folding.
Imagine you have two pieces of plywood glued together on top of one another, and you drive a chisel or something between them, one piece of plywood would split because of the opposite forces acting on it, the glue on one end is holding them together, but the chisel at the other is forcing them apart. something has to give.

Metal rarely "splits" at speeds that Rick has mentioned, So it folded, any more and it may have split to a minor degree.

No part of the body actally broke away form the frame...

but it just all got twisted up in the process.

I gott say, body on frame cars are solid. All 3 other doors still open and close just as they always did, truck etc....

its true, with a body on frame, most the damage is only limited to where it was hit... with uni-body, the impact goes thru the whole car... so in something like this on a uni-body car, you'd probably even see the rear quarter panels buckeled and stuff. This is a tough chassis.

Night Wolf
02-14-06, 11:57 AM
Just saw your post. Sorry to hear about your ride. Seems like you've taken it pretty well. If that happened to my baby, I'd go crazy. Good luck on everything.

ya know... I was really upset...

but really, I can't do anything about it.. I just need to accept it and move on... I could stay pissed for ever, but that wont change it, and it'll just make me more miserable. I didn't loose large amounts of money, besides the car, no property was damaged, nobody was badly hurt or killed... really, to stay upset for more then a couple days would be foolish on my part.

I called the junkyard I normally go to and heard good and bad news...

until the police report is done, and the car is definitly ready to go to the yard, it has to stay at that body shop. That means it is racking up the $30/day. My parents said they would cover that, but still... its just money to sit there. The guy at the junkyard said there is no "safe" place for it to go, and if they put it in the yard, there is nothing stopping people from taking stuff.

But....

once the report is done and it is just confirmed what I already know, then I call AAA and have it towed to the junkyard...

the guy at the junkyard said I can remove anything I want from it. I asked about the wheels and tires, and he said thats fine. THAT is very good to know. So I am getting the wheels/tires, intake manifold, carburator and air cleaner. I'll try to bend the metal away from the battery and remove that. I *may* take some more of the interior stuff I added... like the mint chrome pieces on the top of the dash and stuff... I'd like the radio too... while I have the origanal 8-track radio here, that was a really nice cassette player, same style. reaching out on a really, really far limb, I would like to take the seats... but I doubt it... I only have the Coupe now to transport stuff (taking the 4 wheels and tires home will be interesting) and nowhere to put anything... It was a relief though, to know that I'll be getting the stuff I want.

So now I wait...

davesdeville
02-14-06, 12:00 PM
Damn Rick, I just read all of this thread. How horrible and sad.

I have to say though, my friend got into a similar collision in his Buick, only he was going straight on a yellow and some girl was turning left (into him) on the same yellow... She got hit with an improper left turn, although she was not ticketed at the scene they will be paying for my friend's Buick (since she didn't have insurance, my friends insurance is suing her.) You'll know when you see the police report, you'll either get an improper left turn or it will be a no-fault.

Good luck man.

davesdeville
02-14-06, 12:03 PM
Rick, if you get her '89, it'll be just like when you got the '79.

In poor condition, for dirt cheap, then you work to restore it and fix it up and wham! You have your self a nice RWD Caddy for dirt cheap!

Yep
...and a 500 will still fit :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-14-06, 12:53 PM
Yep
...and a 500 will still fit :)

The Spirit lives on.....

http://www.auto-enthusiast.com/shelbydodge/spiritrt/SpiritRT_Montreal_Side.jpg

lmao!

PAW 47
02-14-06, 12:57 PM
LOL Luv, I had totaled one of those But the Plymouth Model. And I loved that car..mine was a 91 Touring with the BBS wheels

mccombie_5
02-14-06, 01:26 PM
No part of the body actally broke away form the frame...

but it just all got twisted up in the process.

I gott say, body on frame cars are solid. All 3 other doors still open and close just as they always did, truck etc....

its true, with a body on frame, most the damage is only limited to where it was hit... with uni-body, the impact goes thru the whole car... so in something like this on a uni-body car, you'd probably even see the rear quarter panels buckeled and stuff. This is a tough chassis.

I'm impressed that nothing broke away from the frame!

My friend Duncan's dad had a 1998 Ford Mondeo, (Or Contour) and the car was hit from the side whilst parked.

The only panels that werent damaged in some way were: The Drivers door, the rear Drivers side door, the drivers side fender, and the drivers side rear quarter panel.

Everything else had some sort of damage to it! Unbelievable.

Night Wolf
02-14-06, 07:18 PM
Well, police said the car didn't need to wait until the report is done (still not done) so I started making arangements...

3 hours today, non stop, on the phone... calling soo many different people.

Finally talked to this one guy at the junkyard, he is really willing to work with me, so if all goes well, I am happy.

I get out of school tomorrow at 3, I am going to go over to the body shop, pay off what I owe so they will release it. $143.11 is the bill (NOT including the towing) $20/day storage (4 days) + $25 disposal fee (to dispose of stuff the tow truck driver picked up form the accident) and a $20 waste removeal fee (for the 3 handfuls of kitty litter the tow driver driver threw down over the spilled fluid and swept up) and $8 labor fee and tax... I know, so many freakin charges... Get this, the towing bill that AAA covered... is $95! total towing distance? ~1 mile. One street light down (main road) make a turght turn and about half a mile in... and the shop is there (from the crash) my gosh...

So when I talk to the junkyard guy tomorrow, I'll give him the name and address of the body shop and tell him to meet me there at 3:30. The car will be paid for and released by then, and I'll be good to go. Then I am going to follow the tow truck back to his place, and when I asked about the wheels, he said he'll remove them and set them aside so I can pick them up... that was really nice, and already far more then the other junkyard (that I have gone to many times) was willing to do. I asked about the engine parts and battery and he said I can take whatever I want... I was really happy. I asked about towing, if he takes AAA, and he siad if he gets the car, towing is free... wow, I am happy... even though I woudln't have to pay for the towing, still... he is willing to work with me so much. So I'll have the title signed and in hand, I get my stuff he gets the car and title... I made a color copy of it just for memory sake.

So... if all goes as planned.. tomrrow is the end of an era.... 3/25/04 - 2/15/06.... nearly 2 years... man, I am really sad... but after all I am dealing with today with the phone and everything, I am just ready to let it go and move on...

for whatever reason... it feels like a big weight is lifted off my shoulders... I don't understand.. its hard to explain... that car never caused me problems, but while I am still upset over the situation, its like... well... one less thing to worry about. I *DO* like the idea of having 1 car here again though... at home it wasn't bad... but I dunno, at the apartment I never liked the idea of it... its like it gives me time to concentrate on other things and then spend any car time i have with the Coupe. Really though, I had my fun with it, it wasn't a money pit, but did have its issues that would need to be delt with in the future paint job, steering/suspension work, new vinyl top etc...) and I am getting all the stuff that I want off it that has value to me... so really, its like ok... it happened, its over, move on.

Hopefully tomorrow goes as smooth as I have it planned out, if so, that'll be good.

Night Wolf
02-14-06, 07:23 PM
I'm impressed that nothing broke away from the frame!

My friend Duncan's dad had a 1998 Ford Mondeo, (Or Contour) and the car was hit from the side whilst parked.

The only panels that werent damaged in some way were: The Drivers door, the rear Drivers side door, the drivers side fender, and the drivers side rear quarter panel.

Everything else had some sort of damage to it! Unbelievable.

Well, the Contour is a uni-body car... exactly as I said before... a uni-body car, some how, the whole thing will sustain damage.

The only thing that "broke" off the '79... was the grille. It came out and was hanging in 1 piece, I put it in the back seat, and I'll take that tomorrow too... but if it wasn't for the screw mounting holes being broke, you could put that grille back on another car and you'd never know. Well, the hood ornament also broke off... other then little chunks of plastic trim, nothing broke off. Hell, that bumper even stayed stright, and its STILL in better shape then some of the bumpers on these cars I see :).

Actually, I may want to get my Silver Star headlights... since, magically, they are fine.... both of them, which includes the driver side (I only had the outter high/low beam as Silver Stars, the others were origanal incandecsent)

mccombie_5
02-14-06, 07:35 PM
Well, the Contour is a uni-body car... exactly as I said before... a uni-body car, some how, the whole thing will sustain damage.

The only thing that "broke" off the '79... was the grille. It came out and was hanging in 1 piece, I put it in the back seat, and I'll take that tomorrow too... but if it wasn't for the screw mounting holes being broke, you could put that grille back on another car and you'd never know. Well, the hood ornament also broke off... other then little chunks of plastic trim, nothing broke off. Hell, that bumper even stayed stright, and its STILL in better shape then some of the bumpers on these cars I see :).

Actually, I may want to get my Silver Star headlights... since, magically, they are fine.... both of them, which includes the driver side (I only had the outter high/low beam as Silver Stars, the others were origanal incandecsent)

Yeah, that Mondeo was only hit at about 35mph IIRC, it looked ok when it was sat in their garage, then he pointed out the damage to every panel, it also only had two windows left in it.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Stuff/mondeo.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Stuff/mondeo2.jpg

Looked like this, it was mint too, about 32,000 or something on it in 2003.

Take what you can from it Rick, if the junk yard guy is letting you, you should go for it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-14-06, 08:12 PM
My weekend was also most interesting, but in a good, exciting, scary, funny way! ;)

Friday night, me and my buds are sitting around, bored, so we decide to go for a cruise in my friend's '95 Ford Bronco XLT, so we go cruising through my high school parking lot and we see this black BMW X3 in the back, parked out of the lines, so we drive up by it, curious, and we see there is one guy, about 17 years old in the drivers seat, but it's fogged up so we cant tell exactly, so we go to the opposite end of the parking lot, and flash em the high beams like 3x, then we drive up, and we see this blonde girls' head rise up from his lap then we laugh our asses off, then drive off, then we see them start the car, and we came back 10 min later and they were gone!

LOL

So I bet you're thinking "What could possibly top Friday night's excitement?!"

I'll tell you.

Saturday night, I'm sitting around with the same friends, bored off our asses again, except tonight, our friend Jared is with us, and hes crazy! Takes a lot of risks, drives like a madman etc etc, so he's driving us around in his car, trying to find some more high schoolers to screw with like last night. So we drive past our really paranoid friend's house (I was talking about him in the thread "what should I do about my friend") anyways, we drive up his street, with our lights off, pull up in front of his house and peel out. We do this like 4 times, everytime, we can see him come to his front window b/c hes so paranoid. (he looks out his window when any car drives by!)
Knowing him, hes gonna get very paranoid that someone is "out to get him" just by seeing someone drive by 3 times.

So after that bit of fun, Jared decides to drive through the police station parking lot.....with his lights off...at midnight. Now we tell him this isnt a good idea, and if hes gonna do it, he should turn his lights on. But nope, he says "I'm not afraid of anything, especially cops!"
Now if this isn't dangerous (or dumb) enough, it's time for the cops to start their shift. So as we're driving through the parking lot, we see all these cops looking at us, four kids in a silver 2001 Honda Accord EX-V6 coupe, and we get a little worried. I mean we've got nothing to hide, we're just bored. So as we're leaving this parking lot, one of my friends notes that there is a cop car that is following us. Most people would have stopped, but not Jared. As we're ready to pull out onto the street, he stops, buckles up his seatbelt (which he never does) and floors it onto the street, taking a right, and turning the lights on. (while forgetting to use his signal) So after we're back onto the street, I look back, and I see the cops following us...fast! I can see his rear end is swaying a bit, for obvious reasons. So Jared ducks off into this neighborhood across from the police station, trying to lose the cop, and hes doing like 45 in a 30. Just ripping through this neighborhood. In the meantime, I'm there in the backseat going "ohmygodthisismuchmoreexcitingthanlastnight!!!OMGOM GOMG!!!!"
So anyways, we get back onto the road that the police station was on, and right as we're turning, the cop puts his lights on and pulls us over. He walks up to the car and says "get out of the car son." and I'm thinking "oh shit, this is bad, he didnt just give him a ticket, he pulled him out of the car, and is talking to him." So me and these two other friends of mine are sitting in his car, trying to listen to their conversation, and another cop comes out of nowhere and pulls my friend in the passenger seat out, and starts talking to him. So that leaves me and Dan in the back, talking about what we're gonna say. Then about 5 min later, the cop that pulled Jared out pulls Dan out, and starts talking to him. Leaving me in the car, alone.

Then about 5 min after that, the cop comes back to me and says: "why do you think it's weird that we see a car driving though our parking lot, at midnight, with the lights off?" I say, very calmly, very slowly (I usually talk quite fast) "Well officer, I think it's very shady and disturbing." He nods, and says "why did your friend have his lights off?" To which I reply "Well officer, he said, he thought it was bright enough, with the lightpoles and whatnot, but we had advised him to turn his lights on." Officer nods and says "Is there anything illegal in this car, anything that I should know about?" I say "no officer, none that I know of, but this is Jared's car", then I showed him around the backseat, move the blanket, and there was a can of "Jolt Cola" cop saw this, and was like "whats in that bottle sir", I picked it up and showed him "oh alright Jolt cola, thats fine" Then he asked for my licence, then I showed it to him, then he says "Ever been in any trouble before?" To which I replied "Well I got pulled over once for driving wrecklessly in the high school parking lot in my first car, but I just got an oral warning" He said "Thats no big deal son" then he handed my licence back and said "well ask you more questions later" then he walked away. So then a bit later, Dan came back in, then my friend Josh did, who was in the passenger seat. We're all sitting there, talking about this, than about 10 min later, Jared comes back in with just a ticket for not signaling, then we leave.

Apparently when we were getting talked to, Jared spent some time in the backseat of the Cruiser, and apparently, there were like 5 cop cars there at one time. With many cops. Josh (whos training to be a cop) said that if Jared hadn't buckled up his seatbelt right before we left the lot, he would have gone to jail for evading police. But since they just had the charge for not signaling, they didnt wanna prosecute the evasion.

Lucky I guess.

Overall a most interesting weekend!

turbojimmy
02-14-06, 08:14 PM
tomrrow is the end of an era....

You made the right decision. That would've been tough to straighten out since it was swayed over quite a bit. Once the roof buckles it's tough to recover from - particularly on a full frame car (though I've seen worse stuff rebuilt - my dad's Camaro SS (http://www.turbojimmy.com/camaross.html) for example). If the engine was shoved over you would've had lots of broken stuff that you can't even see or predict.

You still have a very nice coupe. Be careful with it!

Jim

Night Wolf
02-14-06, 10:13 PM
Yeah, it was a tough decsion... I am still really upset about it but... life has got to go on.

I gotta say, I am much more observant now, then before, when driving. Anytime someone pulls out fast or drives bad it just grabs my attention.

I am hoping that tomorrow will go smoothly, hopefully I'll get to talk to the cop in the AM, see what is going on and get the police report, and it'll all pass. I've made enough phone calls today and talked on the phone much more then I care to, now, I just want to get it over with.

Jesda
02-14-06, 11:43 PM
Hahahha, them damn kids and their Jolt Cola!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-15-06, 10:12 AM
Hahahha, them damn kids and their Jolt Cola!

Hahahaha yeah FINALLY someone reads my post!

God that took me like 20 minutes to type up! Eh, not like I had anything better to do on Valentine's day :/

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-15-06, 10:15 AM
LOL Luv, I had totaled one of those But the Plymouth Model. And I loved that car..mine was a 91 Touring with the BBS wheels

hahahah Yeah, was that model called the "Alliance"? I forget the name of those, but yeah, that one I posted was a Spirit R/T with the 2.2 turbo, making 224hp IIRC, and it's one of the biggest sleeper sedans ever.

Kev
02-15-06, 12:06 PM
Rick, just read your first post. I haven't had time to go through the whole thread, I've been crazy busy. Sorry to hear about you 79. I'm glad that no one was hurt.

I know the feeling of attachment and loss when it comes to things like cars or other possessions. It's tough when you've put so much time, money, heart and soul into them and then see them lost or damaged. I've learned the hard way not to get too attached to things anymore. I've found that they just deteriorate or something happens to them and they eventually have to be replaced.

Enjoy them while you have them.

davesdeville
02-15-06, 02:46 PM
. Josh (whos training to be a cop) said that if Jared hadn't buckled up his seatbelt right before we left the lot, he would have gone to jail for evading police. But since they just had the charge for not signaling, they didnt wanna prosecute the evasion.

Lucky I guess.

Overall a most interesting weekend!

It's not evasion unless the officer is actively attempting to pull you over. When your friend pulled over when the lights came on any chance of an evasion charge went out the window.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-15-06, 04:46 PM
It's not evasion unless the officer is actively attempting to pull you over. When your friend pulled over when the lights came on any chance of an evasion charge went out the window.

Ah cool, good to know! :)

Night Wolf
02-15-06, 11:38 PM
Well, here is the deal... can't I say I am happy with the situation but what can I do...

I was sleeping, cop called me up said hes at the apartment complex if I can meet him at the door, I say thats fine....

He says judging by what he saw, the damages to the car, skid marks (none that I know of) and all that... as well as *3* people total on "their" side (since there were 2 adults and an infant... I'd don't know who the 3rd person is... nobody stopped) He had to come to the conclusion that I had a red arrow and they had the right of way which means I was at fault. 3 against 1.

So based on that, I was issued a Citation, he said its $140 and 4 points IIRC, some sort of moving violation. I need to see if those points carry over to NYS license or not, reading the paper I have a few options, so I gotta go over that.

He said there were no injuries at all, the guy that was brought to the hospital had the cut on his face from the air bag and was released.

In reguards to the decsision... I mean, I know it was green for me... I have never ran a red light, let alone a red arrow...ever.... I had to reason to.... but gosh, this whole thing has been causing me more stress and going crazy driving to various places and making a billion calls, the last thing I want to do right now is drag it out longer, I am just getting tired of all of this.

slk230mb
02-15-06, 11:48 PM
Well, here is the deal... can't I say I am happy with the situation but what can I do...

I was sleeping, cop called me up said hes at the apartment complex if I can meet him at the door, I say thats fine....

He says judging by what he saw, the damages to the car, skid marks (none that I know of) and all that... as well as *3* people total on "their" side (since there were 2 adults and an infant... I'd don't know who the 3rd person is... nobody stopped) He had to come to the conclusion that I had a red arrow and they had the right of way which means I was at fault. 3 against 1.

So based on that, I was issued a Citation, he said its $140 and 4 points IIRC, some sort of moving violation. I need to see if those points carry over to NYS license or not, reading the paper I have a few options, so I gotta go over that.

He said there were no injuries at all, the guy that was brought to the hospital had the cut on his face from the air bag and was released.

In reguards to the decsision... I mean, I know it was green for me... I have never ran a red light, let alone a red arrow...ever.... I had to reason to.... but gosh, this whole thing has been causing me more stress and going crazy driving to various places and making a billion calls, the last thing I want to do right now is drag it out longer, I am just getting tired of all of this.

It sucks to hear but it sounds like you're going to need a lawyer. Sounds like that cop ASS-U-ME-D a lot.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-15-06, 11:55 PM

your a single white male under 25 , you were at fault the moment you got your drivers licsense ....were automaticly given blame ,and the higher insureance rates ...

Meanwhile girls and married men are allowed to run unconrtolled on our streets , with those damn cell phones and the men trying to prove at age 40 they can still kick someones ass ...

sorry , this is a sore subject for me ....

gdwriter
02-16-06, 12:06 AM
...the men trying to prove at age 40 they can still kick someones ass...

Well, with 40 looming in four months, maybe I can't kick anybody's ass anymoreónot that I ever could, reallyóbut I can at least run over their ass.:rant2:

Rick, it sounds like the police are taking the easy way out, and unfortunately, you're getting the shaft in the process. Sad to say you can't do much about it, but at least you're smart enough to recognize it. Not much consolation, though.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-16-06, 12:12 AM
Well, with 40 looming in four months, maybe I can't kick anybody's ass anymoreónot that I ever could, reallyóbut I can at least run over their ass.:rant2:
yes but im sure you dont go out looking for trouble ....there is a bunch of them age 40-50 that are out there looking for trouble ....

maybe becuse im still young at 25 , but i just dont get why at 40 anyone has anything to prove ....they can still kick someones ass ....but its like they gotta be an ass and look for trouble

Night Wolf
02-16-06, 12:23 AM
Well, this is the thing I am faced with....

If *I* take this to court, not only do I, by myself, have to against the cop, but the *3* people in the other party... quite hard to do.... I thought it would have been a no-fault as there seems to be a conflict of information, but then this....

Taking this to court means I have to pay lots of money for a lawyer. That also means lots of time out of school for court etc.... *that* is the killer, as I simply *can't* miss any time from school, its a tech school governed by the FAA, and every hour you miss, you have to make up... and it starts getting rough because it is very fast-paced.

So I am looking at all sides of the situation here..... nobody was injured or killed. The only damages are both cars. If I am at fault, that means my insurance will pay for their car, which means my rates will go up. Because I have insurance, and all of their stuff is well within what I am covered for, they can't take me to court for anything.. right now, the important aspect in my life is getting thru school, I have less then a year left and need to get thru it with no problems... starting a whole court case is just going to really get in the way of things, and in the long run, will not be saving me much at all.

In reguards to the citation, what I thought was right... as long as I pay the fine, the points do not carry over onto my NYS drivers record, so my license stays clean. I want to call and confirm that, and ask about what happens in the future if I get my license changed to another state (not FL) if that carrys over.Because then in that case I don't need to take a point reduction class here in FL.

The cop told me on the poice report he put damages to my car- $1,500. Yeah right. But, he said that is just an estimate and dosn't state how much insurance would cover etc... The car is totaled, and I didn't have collosion on it, so I am not getting anything at all. On the citation it says there was $4,000 damage to their car... probably just an estimate as well as its gotta be totaled... and the book value on a ~2000 Camry is like $8,000.

This is taken from the NYS DMV website:

If I get a ticket for a moving violation in another state, do I receive points on my NYS driver license?

The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions. The exceptions are alcohol-related violations, drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario. Under special agreements, traffic convictions in Quebec or Ontario are recorded on NYS driver license records and carry points. Except for violations in Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS record for out-of-state violations.

If you do not respond to a ticket or fail to pay a fine for a moving violation that you committed in any state except Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon or Wisconsin, the DMV suspends your NYS driver license until you respond to the ticket or pay the fine. If a driver from a state except these six states fails to respond to a traffic ticket issued in NYS, their driver license will be suspended until the driver responds to the traffic ticket in NYS.

So this is obviously not alchol or drug related, and in the eyes of the cort, just another moving violation. So as long as I pay it within 30 days, I guess it'll be ok.

Still, I dunno what skid marks he was talking about... looking at this again reveals no skid marks, well what look like the tires on an 18-wheeler locked up going left to right... but nothing from their direction, or mine, and the accident happened right in the middle of the picture, as my car didn't end up too far from where the hit took place. This picture was taken 2 days after the accident, skid marks don't go away in 2 days.

Night Wolf
02-16-06, 12:33 AM
your a single white male under 25 , you were at fault the moment you got your drivers licsense ....were automaticly given blame ,and the higher insureance rates ...

Meanwhile girls and married men are allowed to run unconrtolled on our streets , with those damn cell phones and the men trying to prove at age 40 they can still kick someones ass ...

sorry , this is a sore subject for me ....

man, I fully understand, same how it goes for me.... 16-21 age group of girls are FAR worse drivers then guys..... nearly all the girls in my high school coudln't drive for crap.... know what screws with the "statistics"? and I have heard this MANY times....

Cops will ticket 16-21 y/o guys for nearly anything they can....

the same age group for girls OTOH will cry and make up a sob story and all that and the cop feels bad for the sorry little cute girl and lets her go. I remember hearing stories all the time from girls that were going even 30mph over the speed limit... then getting away with it.

After many recent events.... I know I do *not* want to live in Clearwater, Florida any longer then I have to... not because it isn't a nice place... don't get me wrong.. the setting is beaufitul..... but I'm tellin ya... the traffic and drivers here flat out suck. I am still new to the whole living in a city thing... but still, I've delt with multi-lane highways all the time... I have drove back and fourth from upstate, NY to Long Island.... which means right thru NYC... and NEVER had any of the crap that I deal with day to day here.... the worst in NYC is the extreme amounts of traffic and people cutting you off... here, if the only thing I had to deal with was traffic and people cutting me off, then I would be content. I swear, the drivers here are quickly approaching New Jersey drivers.... take an hour ride on the Garden State Parkway and you wont believe the stuff they do. My friend here warned me though, drivers here suck.... and so far I'd have to say she is completly right.

Night Wolf
02-16-06, 12:40 AM

Rick, it sounds like the police are taking the easy way out, and unfortunately, you're getting the shaft in the process. Sad to say you can't do much about it, but at least you're smart enough to recognize it. Not much consolation, though.

Thats what it sounds like to me... but I am looking at it logically... I already lost the car. That was the biggest aspect, for me... in this situation.

So what *really* is going to be "bad" on me? That car is lost either way, I had to pay the storage fees etc... My insurance rates go up and I pay a $140 citation. Its out of state, I don't even get the points, that alone makes me feel better. This will be over in a matter of days once I pay the citation.... if I were to take it to court, it would drag on for months... all the hours sitting in the court room paying for a lawyer, all the times it gets delayed to another day, and all this is time from class I have to make up.... its simply not worth it.

If there was alot more involved in the situation, more injuries or whatever the case, then yeah, I can see I have a case... but really, it seems to me like I just need to take what I can and move on, just as I did with the car.

PS Mike, I didn't forget about the PM... I haven't replied yet because I want to actually spend time writing the reply.... and time is something that *hasn't* been on my side these past few days....

Night Wolf
02-19-06, 08:47 PM
well.... this still lingers on... stressing the hell outta me...

I am going to plead not guilty and go to court about the citation. Explain my side, maybe bring a picture of the intersection where you can clearly see no skid marks on either part etc...

So my question is... since this is a traffic moving violation, kinda low-key in the world of the legal system... I know I don't *need* a lawyer, but *should* I look into getting one? Would that really change the outcome etc...?

I figure if I go and tell the judge my side, atleast its a better chance then having the officer make up his mind.

No 3rd party witnesses, no traffic cameras, nobody admiting fault, no skid marks and damages to cars would be the same in either case. No tickets were issued at the scene, yet I later get the citation and blamed fault.... it just dosn't add up.

Also, the cop said he had 3 people on their side say the light was green for them... yet, there were 2 people plus the infant in the car.... I don't see how he talked to 3 people.

So, is the lawyer worth the time/money/trouble? or not worry about the atternoy for this?

Stoneage_Caddy
02-19-06, 09:18 PM
look at the cost ....dont spend more money on it then you need to ...

When i got that 45 in a 35 down here some years ago i could have fought and won the ticket easily as i had photographic proof the signs were changed that afternoon before i came thru there ....

I could have blown a few hundred on lawyers dealing with it , or paid the 85 dollar fine and spent 55 bucks on traffic school to be done with it ....saved myself 300 bucks , before adding in time for lost wages at work and time from school ...

This is something you need to talk to your parents about , do exactly as they say ....becuse sometimes its just beatter off to grab a tub of vasaline and take it like a man ....

I also realized your the finial part of a dream i had last night .....

Years ago i had a dream the day before i totaled my G20 , that i went off a cliff and woke up in a pile of leaves ....I remeber thinking "ive seen this before" as i went off the cliff the next afternoon ....

So last night i awoke in a cold sweat after a dream i had....I was chseing a guy in a late 90s Avalon after he ****ed with me. When a Ford Areostar crossed infront of me . I didnt even realize i hit the aerostar. In fact i watched in my mirror as it proceed across like nothing had happend. When my car overheated i pulled off and saw the whole front of my car was knocked off just like your car. I turned right around and went back to find the areostar to make sure they were ok. By the time i got there medevac was flying a little boy out of the scene ...The mother was in tears becuse i killed her son ....Even my parents were there scolding me....It was SO REAL....

Night Wolf
02-19-06, 09:34 PM
I was the final part of your dream? Thats weird... kinda like how a year or two ago, we were talking about your accident, and lots of other stuff was brought up... then you were like, its the anniversery to the accident today....

Well, about the lawyer...

A few friends are saying that it would help the overall case... becuase right now I am at fault, and the citation dosn't help.... so I am wondering if those people are gonna try to get a lawsuit against me and whatnot... by having the police report say it was my fault and a citation, it kinda gives them free run.... atleast if I fight it and try my best to knock it down, or even a no-fault... which is technically what it should be.... it may help my situation...

Stoneage_Caddy
02-19-06, 09:46 PM
I was the final part of your dream? Thats weird... kinda like how a year or two ago, we were talking about your accident, and lots of other stuff was brought up... then you were like, its the anniversery to the accident today....

Well, about the lawyer...

A few friends are saying that it would help the overall case... becuase right now I am at fault, and the citation dosn't help.... so I am wondering if those people are gonna try to get a lawsuit against me and whatnot... by having the police report say it was my fault and a citation, it kinda gives them free run.... atleast if I fight it and try my best to knock it down, or even a no-fault... which is technically what it should be.... it may help my situation...
well the finial peice i couldnt explain ....ie why the nose of my car was off like that ...then i saw yours again ,it was identical.... i must be really upset about all these caddys getting hurt subconsicenly ...and worried im next ....

possible lawsuits could be an issue , id talk with the mom and boyfreind guy before going further ...then get legal conicl based on what they think ....the way i see it you could be sued no matter how the report reads ...once sheetmetal is bent all bets are off ....

PAW 47
02-20-06, 10:03 AM
hahahah Yeah, was that model called the "Alliance"? I forget the name of those, but yeah, that one I posted was a Spirit R/T with the 2.2 turbo, making 224hp IIRC, and it's one of the biggest sleeper sedans ever.

It was called a Acclaim, mine had the 3.0 which had a warped head dang Mitus motors are crap! I did a motor/tranny swap to the 3.3L! Out of a Dodge Dynasty Heheh.. Talk about tire roaster!!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-20-06, 11:11 AM
I did a motor/tranny swap to the 3.3L! Out of a Dodge Dynasty Heheh.. Talk about tire roaster!!

Really? I never assumed any of those early '90s Chrysler V6's could make anything fast....

PAW 47
02-20-06, 11:43 AM
Well, The 91's had 142Hp w/172lbs 3.0L, the 3.3 I used was out of a 95 Dynasty had 164hp w/ 192lbs. The Dynasty was a eazy swap as they use to use the 3.0L. Almost the same mounts. It was a minor job to get it squeezed in but hehehe.. I gave a few hon-duh's run for there money!

3.3/3.5L's were Mopar built and they were very stout motors with a plus w/timing chains vs the belts of the 3.0L Mistu motor.

SHERIFF
02-20-06, 11:58 AM
Hell yes, go to court! If you are sure you had a green arrow, tell the judge so! The judge doesn't expect the other party to step up and admit they had a red light.

Furthermore, based on the images of the intersection I can't imagine the speed limit being over 35 mph? Your next line of defense is to claim the other car forfeited their right of way by speeding. I can't imagine a cracker box doing so much damage to a big heavy metal Cadillac unless they were indeed speeding.

Take a lawyer? I would. While the officer might have said there were no injuries to speak of..... once you are convicted there's a pretty good chance lawsuits for lingering back and neck injuries will be filed against you and your insurance company. The long term ramifications of a conviction are much more serious than you realize right now. While a traffic conviction is not suppose to have anything to do with civil liability...... trust me, it does in the grand scheme of things.

Night Wolf
02-20-06, 04:11 PM
I really apperciate your input :)

The speed limit on that section of the road is 45mph. I don't know how fast they were going though.

Those lawsuits are what is on my mind... I have been talking to some people and they said that there is a chance of the lawsuits since the deputy ruled the police report in their favor. It really isn't the citation I am worried about (getting a lawyer) as I'll go to court, and even then, its a $140 fine and since out of state, no points... its just the fact that if this does go thru, then according to the police report, I am guilty and there is a greater chance for the lawsuit.

Night Wolf
02-20-06, 07:25 PM
Ok, so I got the police report today....

There are a couple descrepencies on the report... I dunno if it is major or not...

So first, it lists the people and cars etc...

*I made a mistake- the intesection was a 35mph zone NOT 45mph* It was 45 right after, but changed right before...

so *coming from their direction* (on the road they were on) it was 45... a sign that said reduced speed ahead.... and a sign for speed limit 35 right before the intersection where we crashed..... I was thinking about what Sheriff said, and that IS alot of damage done to my car if they were going 35mph.... I think its very possible they were going faster....

So then on the boxes checked it was I was going East, and it says they were going East.... but they were going West.... otherwise we would have never crashed.... but those are the boxes on the front page in the description thing it does say they were going West...

So it says I was in a 45mph zone (really a 35) and it says I was estimated doing 25mph.... I don't think its that high... had to be more like 10-15mph....

It says they were in a 35mph zone, and their estimated speed was 35mph..... again... I don't think they were doing 35....

The guy owned the car, a 2000 Toyota Camry. He was int he passenger seat, and the girl who did not own it was driving. They have different last names. The guy (passenger/owner) was born in 1973.... the girl/driver was born in 1982.

Since I found out the towing place on the report, I went there today... like right next door to where myc ar was brought. The Camry isn't there anymore, I asked where it was towed to, they said this place some *45 miles* away because they give free storage fees for the insurance company while they sort everything out.

In the report the boxes are checked that I disreguarded a traffic signal, while they had no improper driving/action.

It says they were both a head-on collosion, which isn't the case, as the front of their car wasn't hit... my car hit their left fender area.

It says it was raining and the road was wet. She wasn't issued a citation, I was issued a failure to yeild at an intersection.

This is the narrative of what the cop wrote... I'll quote this, the spelling and grammer mistakes are whats in the report:

I am vehicle one, they are vehicle two

"Vehicle two was traveling Westbound on Park Blvd in the curb lane approaching the intersection of Seminole Blvd. Both the driver and front seat passenger said that they had a green signal to cross the intersection Westbound. Vehicle one was traveling Eastbound on Park Blvd. approaching the intersection of Seminole Blvd. Vehicle one entered the right urn lane to continue Northbound on Seminole Blvd. Vehicle one driver was not said that the light was green, but he was unsure if he had a green arrow. Vehicle one pulled into the intersection and crossed into the path of vehicle two. The front driver side of vehicle one struck the front driver side of vehicle two. Both vehicles stopped in the intersection. Both airbags in vehicle to deployed causing minor injuries to vehicle two passenger one. He was transported to Largo Medical Center by Sunstar ambulance. Both vehicles were removed fromthe scene by tow trucks. vehicle one driver was uninjured. vehicle one driver is places at fault for the crash. NFA.

The picture he gave is pretty accurate, but their car was a little further along.

In the report he said I was in the *right* turn lane.... not the case, I was in the left turn lane.

Also, I was questioned moments after the crash, it was one of the first things the cop did when he got there... yet they were questioned later, I know the guy was questioned at the hospital, not sure about the women. I was completly frazzled and shaken up from the accident and wasn't understanding the green light question fully.

It seems to me like he made his own judgement by believing their side. No witnesses, no cameras.... nothing. Yet I am put 100% at fault.

I am definitly pleading not guilty and taking it to court. I am just not sure what to expect and how it'll go... never really did this before.

I have a picture from 2 days after the accident that shows there were no skidmarks, and also shows the stains on the ground from spilled fluids. I dunno if that'll mean anything in court.

Night Wolf
02-20-06, 07:32 PM
Here is the officers picture. The lanes and road seem pretty accurate. Only thing is how the cars hit.... it wasn't the front corner of their car, it was their left fender.

I don't see how this rendering supports their case either.

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/accident/PDR_1210.JPG

mccombie_5
02-20-06, 07:36 PM
I think the USA needs roundabouts!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Stuff/Websiteroundabout.jpg

Obviously in reverse!

Night Wolf
02-20-06, 07:39 PM
I think the USA needs roundabouts!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Stuff/Websiteroundabout.jpg

Obviously in reverse!

ok, we call those "traffic circles"

and you woudln't believe the amount of crashes and troubles THOSE cause.....

Anyway... I am looking for anyones advice and whatnot on this whole situation....

From all the research I have done, so far it seems exactly as Sheriff said... trafic signal related, no cameras, no witnesses, nobody admiting fault.... it would turn out to be a no-fault..... yet I am blamed for fault. How can I convince the judge this is the case?

Night Wolf
02-20-06, 07:50 PM
There is another issue with the report... this time with the drawing...

the officer says they were in the right lane...

that right lane is a *right turn only* lane, and has the curb at the end... as evidenced by my picture. That leaves 2 lanes for going stright.

Yet the deputy said: "Vehicle two was traveling Westbound on Park Blvd in the curb lane approaching the intersection of Seminole Blvd."

I never heard the term "curb lane" before.... but from that, and the picture, it sounds to me like they were in the right lane....

now there is in fact 3 lanes going Westbound on Park... and you really don't know the right lane is a right turn only until the very end....

It sounds to me like they were in the right lane driving, saw it was right turn only then changed lanes *IN* the intersection... and crashed into my car at that point.....

If they were in fact changing lanes to the left, then their car would be pointed in my direction more... thus creating even more damage on my car....

Gosh... there is so many things going on here....

Again, here is the picture... the right lane in the picture (left lane from their heading) where the white car is, is a left turn lane... the 2 center lanes go stright, and the right lane is right turn only. You can see how the right lane ends quick as there is the curb and the walk/don't walk thing there.... it looks like they were making a quick lane change in the intersection.... posibly even running a red light while they were at it....

Stoneage_Caddy
02-20-06, 07:51 PM
just curius ...did you notice if there headlights were on ?

i see that alot out of camrys ...

Night Wolf
02-20-06, 07:53 PM
I believe headlights were on....

the spilt second before we hit, I just remember seeing the flash of the headlights infront of me, then the crash.

After the crash, I got out first... their lights appeared to be on.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-20-06, 08:23 PM
Well, The 91's had 142Hp w/172lbs 3.0L, the 3.3 I used was out of a 95 Dynasty had 164hp w/ 192lbs. The Dynasty was a eazy swap as they use to use the 3.0L. Almost the same mounts. It was a minor job to get it squeezed in but hehehe.. I gave a few hon-duh's run for there money!

Hmmmmm.... It's interesting to see that the Chrysler 3.8 used in the 91-93 Imperials made like 150hp and ~200 lb/ft. Which was the same hp and torque the GM 3.8 made in 1987 before it was the "3800". Either way, they're both more powerful than the Ford 3.8, at 140hp and 215 lb/ft. My friend had a '93 Taurus GL with that motor, and it had some pretty damn good low end power, it pretty much died above 40 though. Actually, GM's 3.8 and Chrysler's 3.8 were much more reliable than the Ford 3.8.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-20-06, 08:25 PM
i just cant get over the fact you didnt see them ...i mean no offense or anything to you ....thats a nasty intersection ...but the way it read it was like you two were the only ones on the road ...and the way you say it came out of nowhere , just seems like they may have been traveling with headlamps off or something ....

as for not yeilding ...they got you there im afraid , unless you indeed had a green arrow ....

witnesses in the car that hit you cant possibly hold up in court as far as lawsuits go ...seems biased and comprimised due to that fact they they hit you ...

do you remeber hitting the brakes pre crash ? the camry should have left some pretty harsh marks pre impact ..being that there was rain im not so sure it would have left anything to lend itself to getting speeds off them ...I mean it holds as much creed as theskidmarks they used to detrime my speed the day i crashed , which read "skidmarks left by studded tires" ....I took my Lt to my car and showed him the tires on it , they werent studded tires ....

I think next time it rains ill go out to my "spot" pull the abs fuse and lock em up ...im curious to see what gets left ....

Night Wolf
02-20-06, 08:41 PM
No offsense taken...

I did not see a damn thing. It boggles my mind as well.... I mean, I was nearly done with making that turn....

Like I said... moments... like... half a second before the impact, I saw lights in front of me that registered in my brain they shoudln't be there.... My instinct was to hit the brakes... I'd have to say just as we hit each other is when I hit the brakes, as my foot was on the brakes afterwords... how much of the brakes, if any... slowed the car down, I don't know.... but that was so quick... it was seconds that it happened... it wasn't like i saw them coming and hit the brakes in a frantic stop..... if I saw someone coming at me while already making a turn, I would do 1 of 2 things.... hit the gas to get outta there, or swerve hard to the right to avoid getting hit... this was just so quick.

If the Camry had ABS.... would there be any skidmarks? I know the tires do lockup quickly... but there was nothing on the ground. It wasn't like the road had standing water on it... it was on/off drizzling and the black top had that dark wet, but no water look... IIRC I had the wipers on delay, the lowest setting and that was clearing the water at a nice rate, though it would stop raining and I turned them off.... after the accident and after the police got there it started to drizzle a bit more.

I don't even know if there will be lawsuits, I am just thinking worst case senerio. But this is definitly going to court as I don't see how the cop determined this was my fault without assuming alot of stuff.

It is a nasty intersection.... strangely, ALL the major intersections here are just as bad. Even worse when you have merges with yeild signs that people seem to think mean "floor it and cut the person off".... I'm telling ya... traffic here is a major problem and stuff like this is what happens.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-20-06, 08:48 PM
No offsense taken...

I did not see a damn thing. It boggles my mind as well.... I mean, I was nearly done with making that turn....

Like I said... moments... like... half a second before the impact, I saw lights in front of me that registered in my brain they shoudln't be there.... My instinct was to hit the brakes... I'd have to say just as we hit each other is when I hit the brakes, as my foot was on the brakes afterwords... how much of the brakes, if any... slowed the car down, I don't know.... but that was so quick... it was seconds that it happened... it wasn't like i saw them coming and hit the brakes in a frantic stop..... if I saw someone coming at me while already making a turn, I would do 1 of 2 things.... hit the gas to get outta there, or swerve hard to the right to avoid getting hit... this was just so quick.

If the Camry had ABS.... would there be any skidmarks? I know the tires do lockup quickly... but there was nothing on the ground. It wasn't like the road had standing water on it... it was on/off drizzling and the black top had that dark wet, but no water look... IIRC I had the wipers on delay, the lowest setting and that was clearing the water at a nice rate, though it would stop raining and I turned them off.... after the accident and after the police got there it started to drizzle a bit more.

I don't even know if there will be lawsuits, I am just thinking worst case senerio. But this is definitly going to court as I don't see how the cop determined this was my fault without assuming alot of stuff.

It is a nasty intersection.... strangely, ALL the major intersections here are just as bad. Even worse when you have merges with yeild signs that people seem to think mean "floor it and cut the person off".... I'm telling ya... traffic here is a major problem and stuff like this is what happens.
well not alot of camrys have ABS , folks snap up these base 4 cyl camrys with no abs , there a very cheap peice of junk (i really dont understand what all the fuss is about them)

If you hit there front fender with your car then they were indeed hauling some serious ass if they hit the brakes pre impact, which could shed light on how you didnt see them , esp if the hit was in the left front fender and deployed the bags , it stopped hard enough hitting the cadillac to trigger the bags ....and bend the frame on the caddy ...I figure they were running 55 when they saw you , and prolly managed to scrub off 15-20 of it pre impact

where did the camry come to rest ?

Stoneage_Caddy
02-20-06, 08:50 PM
looking at the police drawing i can say pretty certainly the carmy didnt have abs ....it tracked dead stright into you ....

Night Wolf
02-20-06, 09:30 PM
Heh.... the Camry stopped... I'd say 8 feet to the left and in front of the Caddy..... it was still running, and I guess in drive, and I guess she let off the brakes and it rolled over to the curb.

I didn't know the base 4 bangers don't have ABS... I am pretty sure it wasn't a V6... looked base to me, had hubcaps, no fancy alloy wheels.

I also believe they were going faster then the speed limit.... but going in to court when I am at fault, and just trying to get the judge to see I am not at fault.... is a whole lot different then trying to prove they were speeding... I dunno if I'd be able to go that far....

Damage to the Camry.... I think the left edge of the hood, over the fender was bent... the front/grille didn't seem hit, the bumper cover was cracked. The driver side fender was trashed, the tire was flat and the wheel was bent in all directions... still rolled though... the driver door was hit a little... they had a hard time opening it, it was hitting the fender, then when the tow truck guy went to load the car up, the door woudln't latch closed.... windsheild shattered bad (though the film stuff kept it to gether) but that was from the airbag.

I honestly don't think they ever hit the brakes... I mean... even in the light rain, it would leave SOMETHING..... but like I said... is it even possible to go that far? because as it is now, I am at fault as I failed to yeild the right away according to the police report.... I don't want it to sound like I am turning it into "yeah, I was wrong... but they were also doing something wrong too" type deal..

Stoneage_Caddy
02-20-06, 09:48 PM
Heh.... the Camry stopped... I'd say 8 feet to the left and in front of the Caddy..... it was still running, and I guess in drive, and I guess she let off the brakes and it rolled over to the curb.

I didn't know the base 4 bangers don't have ABS... I am pretty sure it wasn't a V6... looked base to me, had hubcaps, no fancy alloy wheels.

I also believe they were going faster then the speed limit.... but going in to court when I am at fault, and just trying to get the judge to see I am not at fault.... is a whole lot different then trying to prove they were speeding... I dunno if I'd be able to go that far....

Damage to the Camry.... I think the left edge of the hood, over the fender was bent... the front/grille didn't seem hit, the bumper cover was cracked. The driver side fender was trashed, the tire was flat and the wheel was bent in all directions... still rolled though... the driver door was hit a little... they had a hard time opening it, it was hitting the fender, then when the tow truck guy went to load the car up, the door woudln't latch closed.... windsheild shattered bad (though the film stuff kept it to gether) but that was from the airbag.

I honestly don't think they ever hit the brakes... I mean... even in the light rain, it would leave SOMETHING..... but like I said... is it even possible to go that far? because as it is now, I am at fault as I failed to yeild the right away according to the police report.... I don't want it to sound like I am turning it into "yeah, I was wrong... but they were also doing something wrong too" type deal..
isnt there a business just up from where they hit you ? lets say 600 yards that they could have pulled out of ?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-20-06, 10:23 PM
Rick, just a friendly FYI, but you may want to change your avatar and headline...

Night Wolf
02-21-06, 07:06 AM
isnt there a business just up from where they hit you ? lets say 600 yards that they could have pulled out of ?

Yeah, there are lots of places all along the road they could have pulled out of.... I think I see what you mean....

When I googled their address, it was about 10-15mins East of where they hit me.... so they were going away from their house... at nearly 1AM on Sunday morning with an infant..... strange.

Chad.... yeah, I haven't got around to it... since the day of the accident I have been non-stop with everything... no spare time for much of anything.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-21-06, 09:04 PM
Yeah, there are lots of places all along the road they could have pulled out of.... I think I see what you mean....

When I googled their address, it was about 10-15mins East of where they hit me.... so they were going away from their house... at nearly 1AM on Sunday morning with an infant..... strange.

Chad.... yeah, I haven't got around to it... since the day of the accident I have been non-stop with everything... no spare time for much of anything.

Ok here is how it happend ...

Camry pulls out of a business and gets on the road. The light turns yellow , they pin it to make the light thinking your gonna stay put. Your past the white line getting ready to make your turn , like we do here in florida (nthing wrong with that). You see its clear and you begin to check your path for anything that would prevent you finishing your turn. This is at the same moment they had acceleated hopeing the make the yellow. When disaster strikes , they realize your not staying put. Your focused on makeing your turn and looking at your intended path , your not expecting something from that direction becsue you already checked there. Out of the corner of your eye something in the enviroment chages , you look to see what changed , its the camry , all four locked up slideing stright into you.

according to this :
http://www.texramp.net/~webike/reference/calculators.htm
they could cover 600 yards in 27 seconds @ 45 mph ....

its certanly possible ...and im not counting time ot accelerate to 45-50 mph....they would have been agressive getting to 45-50 if they had pulled out and saw the yellow and floored it ....

Worst case they came out 200 yards before they hit you , went balls to the walls to make the light and covered the ground in 9 seconds , would be slightly longer takeing into effect time to get to and down from whatever there max speed was ...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-21-06, 09:20 PM
Makes you wonder if somewhere else on the internet, the people that hit Rick are talking about the same thing....

Night Wolf
02-22-06, 12:09 AM
Ok here is how it happend ...

Camry pulls out of a business and gets on the road. The light turns yellow , they pin it to make the light thinking your gonna stay put. Your past the white line getting ready to make your turn , like we do here in florida (nthing wrong with that). You see its clear and you begin to check your path for anything that would prevent you finishing your turn. This is at the same moment they had acceleated hopeing the make the yellow. When disaster strikes , they realize your not staying put. Your focused on makeing your turn and looking at your intended path , your not expecting something from that direction becsue you already checked there. Out of the corner of your eye something in the enviroment chages , you look to see what changed , its the camry , all four locked up slideing stright into you.

according to this :
http://www.texramp.net/~webike/reference/calculators.htm
they could cover 600 yards in 27 seconds @ 45 mph ....

its certanly possible ...and im not counting time ot accelerate to 45-50 mph....they would have been agressive getting to 45-50 if they had pulled out and saw the yellow and floored it ....

Worst case they came out 200 yards before they hit you , went balls to the walls to make the light and covered the ground in 9 seconds , would be slightly longer takeing into effect time to get to and down from whatever there max speed was ...

Hmmmm.... very possible... something I never thought about before.... I dunno if it would hold up in court though.... not only do I have to convince the judge they were speeding, but also convince them that they were pulling out of a business etc...

man this whole thing is giving me a headache....

Night Wolf
02-22-06, 12:11 AM
Makes you wonder if somewhere else on the internet, the people that hit Rick are talking about the same thing....

I have thought about that too... I know I have read lots of stories where stuff like that happened... I dunno, they didn't seem like car people, so I know it wouldn't be on a Camry owners club.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-22-06, 12:13 AM
True, but I wonder if they maybe know that they caused it or did something to cause it like Mike said. I could just see this hispanic family at home arguing over how they're gonna tell this story.

Night Wolf
02-22-06, 12:23 AM
well, really, they don't need to tell a story since the police report is in their favor.... thats what sucks.... its me alone against both of them, the police report and the cop.... all steming from something that shouldn't have happened.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-22-06, 12:38 AM
hmmmm...

You could plant drugs in their food before the court hearing..... :sneaky: ;)

Night Wolf
02-22-06, 12:42 AM
heh... find another '79 in Laramie Beige and park it in front of their house one morning... Christine style....

BTW, you can easily fit 4 15" wheels and tires will of air in the Coupe DeVille. 2 laid down in the trunk, and the lid closed.... then I put a moving blanket on the back seat and the other 2 when side by side on there.... worked better then I thought it would.

Tommy Deville
02-22-06, 09:53 AM
Rick, you should take it to court and fight that ticket.

Night Wolf
02-22-06, 11:42 AM
Yup, I am taking it to court.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-22-06, 12:37 PM
You should get that woman (Marisa Tomei) from "My Cousin Vinnie" to testify for you. ;)

CadiJeff
03-07-06, 06:16 PM
this whole thing stinks from one end to the other and back again
don't know whether this has been to court yet but the police report is full of holes and errors you might be able to get it thrown out on those grounds and that since the officer was lacking on his report.......what else was he lacking on?
good luck Rick
jeff

N0DIH
03-07-06, 07:03 PM
Sorry to hear about it. I just came across the thread. At least you are ok.

Honestly it doesn't look that bad, straighten frame and new front clip and you are back in business. But the $$ won't be cheap unless you do all the work yourself and farm out what you can't. (like frame work)

Night Wolf
03-07-06, 10:25 PM
Heh.... cars been gone now.

It was alot worse then it looked. Because it was an angle hit... it really bent the frame up.. the roof was creased and stuff.... if it would drive, I would never have let it go, but the frame rail was smashed into the tire, and the steering box totally trashed... it would have took lots of work to just get her to move on her own.... and for the money involved I could buy a mint '79 off ebay for alot cheaper.

CadiJeff
03-07-06, 10:36 PM
anything new on the court thing
all I know is that if that had been my 1981 coupe deville I probably would have been arrested for murder or at least assault, but then mine has more sentimental value than anything

gdwriter
03-08-06, 01:22 AM
You should get that woman (Marisa Tomei) from "My Cousin Vinnie" to testify for you. ;)

So Rick, did the '79 have Positraction? :histeric:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-06, 12:11 PM
So Rick, when did it go?

Night Wolf
03-08-06, 06:35 PM
court date is the 21st. I have to deefend myself and try to get this citation dropped. The cop assumed a whole lot by saying I was at fault.

Posi, lol....

when did it go? nearly 2 weeks ago....its gone, though I am still the legal owner because the guy never wanted the signed title.... now I wish I took the VIN plate... but that can always be... ummmm.... fixed :).

So do I say I used to have a '79 or I still have the '79 and its perminitly in someone else' hands? Well, I'll still refer to it as mine but I just don't have it anymore.

I am at a cross road yet again though.... I miss having a classic.... and if I end up deciding to do what I am thinking about doing.... then I'll be living somewhat simple for a bit, but may very well be driving a classic I have wanted for a long time... in less them then I think.....

too many decsions.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-06, 06:58 PM
Yeah did you see that '79 CDV I IM'ed you last night? She's a beaut!

I see you finally changed your avatar

Night Wolf
03-08-06, 07:50 PM
It was in Canada, and it was like $5,000 :).

Plus, its about 11 years too new :).

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-06, 11:46 PM
Oh so now you're purely going for the '68?

CadiJeff
03-10-06, 04:21 PM
there is a sweet looking 1981 diesel fleetwood brougham coupe for sale on this forum if you like diesels anyway

Night Wolf
03-10-06, 11:57 PM
$3,800.

I don't have that much to spend.

I'd love to find another ~$500 classic that needs basic work.... start getting into a full paint job, vinyl roof, interior work and it quickly adds up... then dosn't make sense since you could get a mint example for similar price.

I am not sure exactly what I am going to do right now, I still can't decide... I don't even have any savings for another classic right now either... so I'll start working, save up $3,000... my goal... then start looking and decide.... '68? '79? paint the Coupe? or save up a bit more and slap that as a nice downpayment on the Jeep...... that last choice seems like the most practical though, as I would like a new daily driver... and I will be living in an apartment for atleast a couple more years... fixing up a classic really wont be very great idea..... plus if I get another classic, that means I'll be driving the Coupe that much longer... I love that car, and I will never get rid of it... but I am ready to move onto another classic.... I really want that Jeep.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-11-06, 12:26 AM
Between painting the '93 and buying a totally new car (to you), I would definetly buy a new car. It's nice to get your baby all mint again, but for me, it would be more fun to go ahead and buy another 79 ( I would buy an 80-92) I mean the possibilites are endless. Coupe V. Sedan, what color, what color interior, FI or 4 bbl, velour or leather.. And all the work and satisfaction it'll take to get it nice again. Anyways as you know, I love buying a new car. Everything is fun, trying to find what you like, looking at the choices, test drives, etc etc! Its all awesome. Plus, if you find a really nice '79, it may be gone whenever, you can get the '93 painted whenever.

DaveSmed
03-13-06, 02:17 PM
472s are addicting. Be warned.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-13-06, 04:20 PM
Even the size sounds badass. Four Seventy Two. Much better sounding than three fifty.

Just say it aloud, "My car has four hundred and seventy two cubic inches of detroit muscle"!

mccombie_5
03-13-06, 06:08 PM
Even the size sounds badass. Four Seventy Two. Much better sounding than three fifty.

Just say it aloud, "My car has four hundred and seventy two cubic inches of detroit muscle"!

And my car uses four hundered and seventy two dollars of fuel to start it :p

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-13-06, 07:24 PM
^ lol yeah probably! In america or england?! LOL!

mccombie_5
03-13-06, 07:27 PM
^ lol yeah probably! In america or england?! LOL!

Costs us $8 or $9 a gallon for regular :D

England then!

What would a 472 get to the gallon??

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-14-06, 11:19 PM
What would a 472 get to the gallon??

8-9 city, 14-16 highway I'm guessing

N0DIH
03-16-06, 01:36 PM
My gauge for economy:
1976 Olds Delta 88 350, 13 city, 17 highway
1976 Olds 98 Regency 455, 12 city, 18 highway
1985 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham HT4100, 17 city, 22 (or is it 24) highway, I have the window sticker somehwere.
1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham LT1, 17 city, 25 highway (2.93 gears)
1991 Cadillac Deville 4.9L, 16 city, 25 highway

If a 472 is getting worse than the 455 by more than 5%, there is something seriously wrong with it.

IIRC, the 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood 500 was getting around 11 city and 17 highway. Been a while. Grab a dealer brouchure at a swap meet and look at the EPA figures.

Do the cars in europe that are similar in weight/power to these really get that much better mileage? Have we come very far in economy over the years??

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-16-06, 02:54 PM
Between a 350 and a 455, you only lose 1 MPG in city and highway?!

I'm still amazed that a 4500lb FWB will get better mileage than a 4.9 3600 lb SDV!!

N0DIH
03-16-06, 05:52 PM
Yes, that is it. And the 350 LOSES, not the 455! The 455 is the better one on the highway. That was not a typo.

The 350 is better in the city. The 455 was better on the highway. So, we buy our cars for the types of driving we do, so I recommend the bigger engine!!!

Note the 350 has 2.73 gears, and the 455 lkely has 2.41. So there is an rpm drop with the 455, not much, but some.

That is why I have had such a hard time really digging into fuel economy,. So many things aren't 100% sure things in saving economy. Big cars AREN'T gas guzzllers like people think.

I have always wanted to build a 455 for my Cutlass when I had it to test things on fuel economy. My goal? 25 mpg. I think I could have done it. BUT it likely would have been not so great a performer. But should have been good on economy.

Night Wolf
03-21-06, 10:13 PM
Well, court was tonight....

the simple version....

I went, I was the first to go infront of the judge... since the cop didn't witness the accident... and he failed to fill out the paper work for the other 2 people in the Camry to be sepened (sp) there was nobody to testify against me, so the judge said she had no choice but to dismiss the ticket.

Thats it... no fees paid... nothing. I am not at fault, State Farm dosn't pay out, it dosn't go on my record....

So the "only" thing changed then if the loss of the '79. Still, the memories will be rememebered, I did save a handfull of stuff from the car I wanted... and it brought a whole new love for the ~'79, and even 425 that I never had previously.

All the more once I get the '89 Brougham do I want to fix it up, then prepare for the 500 swap..... I can live with the 307 for some time.... really when all is considered witht he lower gears and 200R4... the power isn't all that different, but it does get much better gas mileage.... so I'll just make the best of it, thats all I can do.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-21-06, 10:18 PM
thats how i fully expected it to go ...normally the cops screw the pooch unless the accident is a big deal ....normally you end up going away scott free after court

Flagger123
03-26-06, 01:55 PM
Sorry to hear about the caddy i feel soo bad, it looked soo sweet too. At least you dont have to pay for the camery.

Jonas McFeely
03-26-06, 05:52 PM
Sorry to hear about the caddy i feel soo bad, it looked soo sweet too. At least you dont have to pay for the camery.

I'd lol if he did.Imagine that,someone who hates anything not american sooo much,have to pay for a camry that ruined his baby,man,i'd pay like $20 to see the look on his face...

illumina
03-26-06, 05:57 PM
I'd lol if he did.Imagine that,someone who hates anything not american sooo much,have to pay for a camry that ruined his baby,man,i'd pay like $20 to see the look on his face...

Why would you want to see that?

Night Wolf
03-26-06, 05:57 PM

^ Words spoken from a truely mature person :bigroll:

You must not understand the concept of auto insurance, or perhaps you don't have insurance... *I* would not be paying to fix their car.

Jonas McFeely
03-26-06, 06:00 PM
Why would you want to see that?

Because it would amuse me.I dont get along with him all that well as im sure everyone knows,and i think it would be funny,to me.He so damn anal about everything american that it would just give me a lol.Nothing personal.I think he'd enjoy seeing the look on my face if my BEAUTIFUL SAGE GREEN Brougham was at the bottom of a lake,or maybe he wouldnt and im just a dick,whatever.

Night Wolf
03-26-06, 06:01 PM
Because it would amuse me.I dont get along with him all that well as im sure everyone knows,and i think it would be funny,to me.He so damn anal about everything american that it would just give me a lol.Nothing personal.I think he'd enjoy seeing the look on my face if my BEAUTIFUL SAGE GREEN Brougham was at the bottom of a lake,or maybe he wouldnt and im just a dick,whatever.

:alchi:

Jonas McFeely
03-26-06, 06:01 PM
^ Words spoken from a truely mature person :bigroll:

You must not understand the concept of auto insurance, or perhaps you don't have insurance... *I* would not be paying to fix their car.

I have Florida No-Fault,or rather Direct General.

illumina
03-26-06, 06:02 PM

I think the last part of your post is 100% correct about you being a dick; I know Rick well enough to not take pleasure in someone else's misfortunes.

Jonas McFeely
03-26-06, 06:03 PM
I think the last part of your post is 100% correct about you being a dick; I know Rick well enough to not take pleasure in someone else's misfortunes.

Cool,im glad you guys are friends.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-26-06, 06:10 PM
you're probably the only one on here who doesnt get along with Rick. He's a very respected member.

illumina
03-26-06, 06:12 PM
Cool,im glad you guys are friends.

Yeah, that's right: after being on an internet forum and talking off and on with someone for over two years does help in making some friends.

Jonas McFeely
03-26-06, 06:19 PM
you're probably the only one on here who doesnt get along with Rick. He's a very respected member.

Ok,thats great,im glad people respect him.im sorry if i think 75% of everything he posts is total BS.I've gotten PMs from other members telling me not take him too seriously because he thinks he knows everything about everything.So there are other people out there that think he's full of shit that just dont say anything.He has a very sarcastic "tone" to EVERY reply he does on anything i say,whether or not its about him or anything even related to anything at all.Im not trying to start anything,i just flat out dont agree with what he says alot,and i let that be known.Sometimes i joke around with him,but he takes it like im trying to be a dick to him.Thats not my intent.He and few others took it too far with the Sage Green crap,then i was like whatever and started even making fun of MYSELF.

illumina
03-26-06, 06:24 PM
Ok,thats great,im glad people respect him.im sorry if i think 75% of everything he posts is total BS.I've gotten PMs from other members telling me not take him too seriously because he thinks he knows everything about everything.So there are other people out there that think he's full of shit that just dont say anything.He has a very sarcastic "tone" to EVERY reply he does on anything i say,whether or not its about him or anything even related to anything at all.Im not trying to start anything,i just flat out dont agree with what he says alot,and i let that be known.Sometimes i joke around with him,but he takes it like im trying to be a dick to him.Thats not my intent.He and few others took it too far with the Sage Green crap,then i was like whatever and started even making fun of MYSELF.

I'm seeing a whole lot of :crybaby: and not enough :shhh:

How's that for sarcasm? :p :D

Whatever the reasons are for you two not getting along, it really needs to stop...

Jonas McFeely
03-26-06, 06:32 PM
I'm seeing a whole lot of :crybaby: and not enough :shhh:

How's that for sarcasm? :p :D

Whatever the reasons are for you two not getting along, it really needs to stop...

Good 1 with the cry baby and what not,real mature too...

I will be glad to get along with him,but i would have to change my views on just about everything in life.The only thing we have in common is our love for cadillacs.Ok,as of now i will just shut my mouth on most things,but if he continues to use the sarcastic crap with me im not just gonna let him do that and not say anything.I am alowed to disagree with him,and i will when its necessary,i will however,stop nit-picking,and i gues i cant joke around anymore either,because he doesnt like it,but he can make fun of the color of my car and its lack of bumpers all he wants,whatever,im done,i'll shut up...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-26-06, 06:38 PM
but he can make fun of the color of my car and its lack of bumpers all he wants,

Nobody does that anymore, the joke got old. Plus we saw how pissed you got about it and decided to stop.

illumina
03-26-06, 06:40 PM

I for one am not real concerned with what you think my maturity level is. It seems that you cannot read between the lines with all of those smilies ( :p :D ) in that I was being sarcastic.

I will be glad to get along with him,but i would have to change my views on just about everything in life.The only thing we have in common is our love for cadillacs.Ok,as of now i will just shut my mouth on most things,but if he continues to use the sarcastic crap with me im not just gonna let him do that and not say anything.I am alowed to disagree with him,and i will when its necessary,i will however,stop nit-picking,and i gues i cant joke around anymore either,because he doesnt like it,but he can make fun of the color of my car and its lack of bumpers all he wants,whatever,im done,i'll shut up...

:bouncy:

More sarcasm...

Night Wolf
03-26-06, 06:40 PM

User CP > Buddy/ignor list > type Night Wolf > click update ignor = I'll never bother ya again :).

Jonas McFeely
03-26-06, 06:51 PM
User CP > Buddy/ignor list > type Night Wolf > click update ignor = I'll never bother ya again :).

good idea,i may do that...

FSU_Noles
03-26-06, 06:58 PM
Guess you guys are gonna work this out at the Old Towne meet??

This spat reminds me of a quote my SIL uses in her siggy... "Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded".
:thepan:

illumina
03-26-06, 07:02 PM
Guess you guys are gonna work this out at the Old Towne meet??

This spat reminds me of a quote my SIL uses in her siggy... "Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded".
:thepan:

Ho-ly shit! You're all gonna have a meet and those two will be there? I'll fly my ass down there and start booking some bets on this one :thumbsup:

FSU_Noles
03-26-06, 07:06 PM
Ho-ly shit! You're all gonna have a meet and those two will be there? I'll fly my ass down there and start booking some bets on this one :thumbsup:

Nightwolfe made the last Orlando-Old Towne meet and I assume since Evergreen is in the Metro he will be there also.

Should make for a fun evening.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-26-06, 07:10 PM
Does this remind anyone else of that movie "Grumpy old men"?

illumina
03-26-06, 07:11 PM
Nightwolfe made the last Orlando-Old Towne meet and I assume since Evergreen is in the Metro he will be there also.

Should make for a fun evening.

I've already called Vegas on this one and I have also sent a TV crew down to get it up on pay-per-view. Damn my connections rock! :leaving:

Night "the Rick" Wolf

Vs.

85 "the Evergreen" Brougham...

Stage 1!!! :D

gdwriter
03-26-06, 07:14 PM
Does this remind anyone else of that movie "Grumpy old men"?

Night Wolf: Hey Dickhead!

85EvergreenBrougham: Putz!

Which one gets Ann-Margret?

illumina
03-26-06, 07:24 PM
Night Wolf: Hey Dickhead!

85EvergreenBrougham: Putz!

Which one gets Ann-Margret?

:histeric:

Jonas McFeely
03-26-06, 07:56 PM
LOL! thats some funny posting.I will be at the meet,but im not gonna be a jerk there.He hasnt done anything to warrant me being a jerk in person.I'll just be like "whats up dude",and he'll reply with whatever,i dont think there will be an confrontations.I am not a violent or overly agressive person.Though if you guys are gonna place bets....

The meet should be great...

FSU_Noles
03-27-06, 08:24 AM
I'll bet that you guys will get along.

:thumbsup: