: Humvee done its 20 years..time to retire

Stoneage_Caddy
02-12-06, 12:00 AM
Add the Humvee to the list of retired Military trucks ...Humvee was approved in the early 80s and was in fleets by 85 ....21 years later its over ...Armys looking to replace it and according to the article below no one is talking to AM general ....

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/Car_Shows/Chicago_Auto_Show/Humvee_Out_International_MXT_In_the_Army.S289.A100 03.html
i suppose it will be based off this ....which i cant wait to look over in person ..
http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/tmb/10698_TGUQFDNOPSVOV.jpg

The MXT would be a pretty sweet LOOKIN replcement in a way ....But id rather have something cummins powered , the only thing that gave me more headaches then Humvees were Intertrashonals .....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-12-06, 04:12 AM
I think the MXT would be a great improvement from the Hummer.

I totally agree with Stoney, I think the Hummer's time is up.

On a side note, I think it's totally pointless to buy one and never offroad with it. Whether it be the H1, H2 or H3.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
02-12-06, 05:52 AM
I'm curious, what's wrong with the current (Hummer) trucks design?

davesdeville
02-12-06, 07:31 AM
I didn't think the international was really that much of an offroader. hmm.

gothicaleigh
02-12-06, 09:28 AM
It's not the MXT they'll be using. They're developing a vehicle for use by the army.

gothicaleigh
02-12-06, 09:38 AM
Besides, everyone knows the future belongs to the WartHog:

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/news/11/26/wart/warthog_screen001.jpg

:D

HotRodSaint
02-12-06, 10:39 AM
Cool, finally we might get a glut of Military surplus Hummers!! :thumbsup:

Stoneage_Caddy
02-12-06, 11:26 AM
I'm curious, what's wrong with the current (Hummer) trucks design?

there is quite a bit wrong with the humvees design ...its got the tired old 190hp GM 6.5 diesel , which is a good engine , but in the humvee its just not right , terrible fit ,underpowerd, its so awkwardly placed in there that it sits on a 3-5 degree angle from centerline (as viewed from above)...just so it clears the front diff....The 4l80e tranny , while a decent unit in a pickup doesnt hold up in the humvee ....

the front and rear suspension was always pretty good , as long as whoever served them knew what they were doing ....we had more then a few mechanics that would leave the washers out of the halfshaft bolts where they mate to the diff , and the halfshafts would come out of the truck and destory everything on the way out ...

more then anything there a pain in the ass to work on .....and there always broke ....it was always my belif they were far to complicated and large for military use ....the nice thing about the original jeep is it went anywhere , fit in anything (even glider type transports in WW2) and could be fixed by anyone .....

The humvee is HUGE , complicated ,and expensive .....and yet were going bigger with the MXT ...

Someone at the DOD needs to wake up ....The MXT wont work out , esp if we go into a stradegy the relies more on mobilty then bases in germany ..The big MXT wont fit as well or in the numbers a "JEEP" could be carried ....the way i see it we need the MXT for a uparmor Humvee replcement , and something to go back to the Jeep days ...in fact i see nothing wrong with useing the previous generation Rubicon ....

gothicaleigh
02-12-06, 12:43 PM
Kapur also confirmed that International also has won one contract from the DOD to build a prototype for a vehicle that would eventually become the replacement for the U.S. Army's fleet of Humvees.

The prototype will most likely not be an MXT.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-12-06, 12:58 PM
The prototype will most likely not be an MXT.

yes but im sure it will be based off it ....International doesnt have recent expernce in that area ...and the only reason i can see that they went with the MXT configuration and got away with the investemnt is to go after the contract...

the suspesion from what i can tell is the TAC4 which has only trickled to civilan firetrucks ,and nowhere else ...

so id say the military MXT will be a bit smaller , but if its bigger then humvee i dont see the point in approveing it outside a armored personell carrier...

as soon as my local international dealer get a MXT this spring ill go take a look and then ill have an idea on "why" there building it ....becuse it sure serves no purpose for there current market ....

Rolex
02-12-06, 03:36 PM
Interesting. I guess it's less expensive to start over and buy an entirely new platform than to retrofit and up-armor the ageing fleet of Hummers. :hmm: Hopefully they'll provide our troops with something more powerful, more dependable, and more capable than the Hummer. Though coming up with something more powerful won't be difficult, the H1 is a very capable vehicle off road and leaves big shoes to fill IMO.

Eric Kahn
02-12-06, 08:30 PM
the Humvee was designed to be a general purpose light truck, not a combat vehicle which is what they are using it for, it was never designed to carry the armour load they have put on it, it is a 3/4 ton truck and they are putting almost a ton of armour on it then loading it up with weapons so it is overloaded, under-powered and so it is breaking down in large numbers

Stoneage_Caddy
02-12-06, 08:32 PM
the Humvee was designed to be a general purpose light truck, not a combat vehicle which is what they are using it for, it was never designed to carry the armour load they have put on it, it is a 3/4 ton truck and they are putting almost a ton of armour on it then loading it up with weapons so it is overloaded, under-powered and so it is breaking down in large numbers
another damn good point ....

like i say run the MXT for the heavy Humvee mission , and the old rubicon for the light side of the mission

gothicaleigh
02-14-06, 08:40 PM
I say they go with this:

-2.5 tons
-9 feet 4 inches wide
-15 feet long
-HOOSIER racetrack tires on front
-4 Rear 44 inch SUPER SWAMPERS, a our wheel drive conversion component
-Jet burner in rear with vector controls for the jet
-Backend flaps for quick stops
-Landing Hook
-Enabled with front-firing machine guns