: Deville or Fleetwood?

83cadillac
02-11-06, 11:40 PM
I have a 83 Cadillac Deville or Fleetwood. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between them. This car does have the 6.0 liter engine in it. Any help on this would be great.

N0DIH
02-12-06, 01:01 AM
2 ways that I know of.

Look for wreath around trunk emblem. Fleetwood.
Look for V around trunk emblem. Deville

Look for 8.5" rear axle, Deville
Look for 8.875" rear axle (more square and I think has fill plug in rear cover) for Fleetwood.

And the obvious, doesn't the FW say Fleetwood on the sides?

DopeStar 156
02-12-06, 03:58 AM
You have an 83 with the 368 in it? Those usually had the HT4100. Fleetwoods have opera lamps between the front and rear windows where as the DeVilles if they had them at all were on the C-Pillar behind the back windows.

Jonas McFeely
02-12-06, 05:20 AM
It should say DeVille on the the glove box,also the rear window is bigger and less limo-style on the DeVille.

davesdeville
02-12-06, 07:11 AM
Look at the VIN plate on the drivers side of the dash. If it's 17 digits, it's an 81 or newer, 13? (I think that's the number) means 80 or older. In the 17 digit VIN, digit 5 will be car model (B=Brougham, D=Deville,) 10 will be the model year (B=81, D=83, I'm assuming C would be 82, but I'm not sure.)

83cadillac
02-12-06, 11:40 AM
The Deville for this year did not come with a 6.0L engine. It says "Deville" on everything, but it has a wreath on the trunk instead of a "V." It also has the Fleetwood hub caps. I'm not sure, but it may be a custom built from a dealer or strait from the factory. The person I bought it from claims that he can trace ownership back to the original owner, so I may be able to contact him.

Bro-Ham
02-12-06, 12:15 PM
Hi,

The 6.0 liter 368 cubic inch V8 was only available in the Fleetwood Limousine in the 1983 model year. Post a picture and someone will be able to identify the car.

D

83cadillac
02-12-06, 07:01 PM
I have posted one of the picuturesthat i have for my car. I will post more as i get them the right size.

brougham
02-12-06, 07:03 PM
DeVilles usually just have plain ribbed seats. Fleetwoods have chrome on the hood that goes onto the doors. Things like those wreaths and hubcaps are easy to change. Someone could have just put them on because they liked the way they look better.

Mr_Bam
02-13-06, 12:38 AM
I have posted one of the picuturesthat i have for my car. I will post more as i get them the right size.

I'd be interested in seeing a rear/side shot from either corner... There's no Fleetwood trim (not to say it couldn't be taken off) OR coupe trim :dunno:

83cadillac
02-13-06, 10:13 AM
here is a pic from the side of the car.

iNdy.j
02-13-06, 12:32 PM
Looks like a Deville just because the hood from the side looks like it rounds out more, where the brougham was more square. I am known to be goofy, so don't my word for it, hehe. It looks exactly like my car but shorter in length on the outside.

Bro-Ham
02-13-06, 01:25 PM
Hi,

That appears to be a Sedan deVille. The basic body is identical to the Fleetwood Brougham with the differences being in cosmetic trim. The deVille pictured above has no vinyl top. Vinyl tops were optional on the deVille and standard on the Fleetwood. It also appears to have the HT4100 badge on the front fender which would mean it has the 4.1 liter V8. The hood ornament is from a Fleetwood since it has the wreath surrounding the crest. DeVilles from 1984 and earlier had a "V" below the crest on the trunk and steering wheel and the Cadillac crests on wheel covers did not have either a "V" or a wreath, as this deVille has.

The grille looks to be from a 1980 model.

Dave

Mr_Bam
02-13-06, 02:27 PM
I'm going to say Deville, also... Although (as stated) there's a few wreaths, those could be added easier than the Fleetwood trim pieces could be taken off...

CoupeDevilleRob
02-13-06, 04:08 PM
My guess is that car took a front end hit because that grille, the chrome around it and the turn signal lenses are from a 1980. The 83 Devilles also have a strip of chrome running down the center of the hood, the 80's didn't so that hood probably came from the same car as the header panel.

Your car obviously isn't in the same form as it was when it left the factory, so trying to use trim and emblems to identify won't work. Here is the break down on 1983 VIN numbers: the first 4 digits should be 1G6A, the 5th digit will be B or D (B-Fleetwood Brougham, D-Deville), 6th and 7th digit will be 69 for four-door sedan, the 8th digit indicates the engine the car came with, 8-HT4100, N-Diesel, 9-6.0 V864, 6-6.0 four-barrel. The rest of the VIN doesn't matter in this case.

You said it has a 6.0 V8, good for you. The 6.0 is a better engine than the HT4100, however it wound up in a 1983, who cares, you're better off than I am. The only 83s that came with the 6.0 though were limousines and commercial chassis (i.e. hearses and custom stretch limos)

CoupeDevilleRob
02-13-06, 04:14 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing. I was looking at your pictures again and I say it's a Deville. Fleetwoods had wide stainless steel trim on the bottom of the quarter panels, rocker panels and the front fenders. Your's has a thin piece only on the rocker panels. No vinyl top either, not many came that way and I always kinda liked the ones that didn't. And I'm pretty sure a vinyl top was standard on the Fleetwood Broughams.

davesdeville
02-14-06, 10:58 AM
Like I said, the VIN is the easiest way to make sure of what car it is. Get a pic of the motor while you're at it...

lecabz
03-04-06, 10:45 PM
devilles have less chrome trimmings the brougham has thick rockers paneles stain less & the back windows smalller

Pete Benson
03-04-06, 11:14 PM
I don't understand all this back-and-forth. Anybody can slap on a few wreaths, and new hubcaps. The car is absolutely a Sedan deVille. What's the problem?