: Ok , i dont get it ....

Stoneage_Caddy
02-11-06, 09:50 PM
For years ive seen this "pink panther" crap , the bastards on insulation at home depot , the song is everywhere ...the guy is everywhere ....
http://www.norfolkpanthers.com/pink_panther.jpg

yet everytime i see a old pink panther movie coming on , or even this new pink panther moive the little bastard is never in it ....its always some real action type moive and not a cartoon ...

I DONT GET IT !!!!!

Brett
02-11-06, 10:03 PM
there was a cartoon also, it was mildy amusing...not as funny as peter sellers though :)

Stoneage_Caddy
02-11-06, 10:05 PM
peter sellers was awesome ....but its such a let down for me that it spoils the whole thing ....i get all ready for cartoon ...and i get that ....its just too much to take sober ...

Spyder
02-12-06, 12:28 AM
Whoa! I always wondered the same damned thing...Conpspiracy, I say!

gary88
02-12-06, 12:52 AM
Ahhh I remember the pink panther cartoon, I used to watch it before school back in the day

JimHare
02-12-06, 01:30 AM
Ok - I guess one of us old farts will have to fill in the gaps...

The original Pink Panther movie came out around 1963 or 64 - It starred David Niven, a very young Robert Wagner, and Peter Sellers.

Niven played a charming jewel thief. Wagner his nephew. Sellers, of course, Inspector Clouseau. The Pink Panther was a large diamond that an oriental king had given his daughter, who played as grown up in the film. It was a standard "heist caper" movie, and the producers figured that the David Niven character would be something they could build around for a few more movies..

However, Sellers' character became the more popular one - even though he did not figure nearly as prominently in it as you'd figure.

The later PP movies featured Sellers in one silly adventure after another, with only one other one having anything at all to do with a jewel thief.

Blake Edwards (husb. of Julie Andrews) wrote and/or directed nearly all of them.

After Sellers died unexpectedly while in the Philippines getting some wierd ass medical treatment for appendicitis, the franchise kind of ground to a halt. They cobbled together a bunch of outtakes and unused scenes for one movie a few years later, and then had one with the Italian comic Roberto Begnini as "Son of the Pink Panther", but neither did well.

From the early reviews I've read, Martin's new movie is really "The Jerk II", rather than an extension of the P/P genre...but I haven't seen it, so I really can't say.

There was indeed a cartoon on Saturday AMs during the late 60s/early 70s featuring the same Pink Panther animal, and of course the house insulation tie-in, which I truthfully never got either..except for the fact that the insulation is pink....

Kev
02-12-06, 02:02 AM
Some further tid-bits, his full name was Insp. Jacques Clouseau. The diamond "The Pink Panther" was named such because it had a pink hue and there was an image of a panther in the middle of it. The sequels were a bit more campy than the first one. Much of the plots played off on the angst of Clouseau's superior, Chief Insp. Charles Dreyfus.

JimHare
02-12-06, 09:37 AM
Hey Kev :

"Does your dog bite?..."

:histeric:

CIWS
02-12-06, 09:45 AM
I really like the old P.P movies and are going with some friends tomorrow to see the new one, although I'm afraid it will have a high hurdle to overcome with Seller's characterization of Inspector Clouseau. (clicks heels and says "must try and judge it own it's own merit" )

Nice history post JimHare

Rolex
02-12-06, 02:41 PM
Ahhh I remember the pink panther cartoon, I used to watch it before school back in the day

I used to watch the old cartoons too. I remember the panther being mostly mute, and when he did speak it sounded like a deaf person trying to speak aloud. I don't think I'll see the movie in the theatre unless it gets outstanding reviews.

DopeStar 156
02-12-06, 02:54 PM
The Pink Panther is technically in every movie but it's always something different. This time the Pink Panther was a diamond. In the old ones the Pink Panther was a thief. The main character in all the movies is always Inspector Clouseau. The Pink Panther is always something in the movie.

Patrick7997
02-12-06, 04:21 PM
Jim & Kev are right. I loved those movies.

Hey Jim:

Clouseau: "I thought you said your dog does not bite....."

Innkeeper: "That is not my dog." (shakes head)

or

Now is not the time, Kato.....