: Granatelli Trans Tuner - Anyone try this?

fubar569
02-11-06, 09:01 PM
for the 120 or so dollars would it be worth it? says it increases line pressure and firms up shifts, etc.

any experience with it?

linky:

http://www.streetpros.com/product_info/category_id/6/subcategory_id/157/products_id/1306/

auroradude
02-11-06, 09:26 PM
i dunno if it would even do anything

eldorado1
02-11-06, 09:57 PM
You want firmer shifts? Put a switch in the dash to disconnect the pressure sol PWM signal. You'll be chirping the tires shifting into 2nd. It's easier on the tranny, but dang if it ain't hard on you... For normal around town driving, the switch is a good idea. ;)

ELDOminator
02-11-06, 10:16 PM
Forget the switch. If you dump your shifter into 1st, you'll chirp tires when shifting into second. Just incase you don't know, it does shift even when placed in a low gear. The engine is idiot-proof.

eldorado1
02-11-06, 10:40 PM
Right, sorry, forgot you guys were FWD. Then you'll be skidding all over the place until traction control kicks in.

fubar569
02-11-06, 10:50 PM
i don't really wanna rip the tires loose and send the car flying in all directions, but i think we'd all agree the shifts could be better.

never thought of the simple switch though...what does that signal do? is it for the "torque management" or whatever to kill the power between shifts so as to lengthen tranny life or such? or at least that's how it was once explained to me.

N0DIH
02-12-06, 12:59 AM
I think the trans tuner is nothing more than a resistor that is in the line to the trans pressure control. So if the PCM is commanding 200 psi, it fakes it to be 250 psi, if 150, then 200, etc. Very likely only around $5 in parts.

Recommendations from good tuners is to leave torque management alone, unless you like trans work.

eldorado1
02-12-06, 11:30 AM
the PWM signal directly controls transmission line pressure. So where drag racers had to dig into their transmission and drill holes in the valve body to install a shift kit, we just have to clip a wire. ;)

That puts the transmission at maximum pressure. It was meant to default there to save the transmission if the wiring or anything became disconnected.

dkozloski
02-12-06, 03:55 PM
It might be useful to remember that Andy Granatelli(STP) paid the FTC the biggest consumer fraud fine in history, $668,000.

fubar569
02-12-06, 04:24 PM
that's a hell of a fine...

so it would default to max pressure...well somewhat increased pressure can be good but wouldn't maxing it out be bad?

eldorado1
02-12-06, 05:13 PM
It's more harsh on the driveline components (CV, axles, etc), but easier on the transmission. I think it's an acceptable trade off. Alternatively you could put a switched resistor in, but it would have to be a big resistor, couple ohms, 10 watts or so. You'd have to put it somewhere it won't set anything on fire...

fubar569
02-12-06, 05:47 PM
have you done this to your car? what year/model?

what improvements at the track did you see?

fubar569
02-12-06, 06:15 PM
Also, what wire is this coming from the transmission harness? would someone be able to send me a diagram if the connector. i could handle it from there

eldorado1
02-12-06, 06:29 PM
have you done this to your car? what year/model?

what improvements at the track did you see?

Not this *exact* way. I built a paddle shift transmission control module, and set the pressure to follow the throttle. At WOT, the signal to the pressure solenoid is effectively zero. It makes driving fun, let me tell you what... ;)

I'll post the connector diagram for the transmission in a sec...

eldorado1
02-12-06, 06:37 PM
This is the connector as you see it coming from the transmission, looking at the end. Pins C and D are pressure solenoid + and - respectively. Disconnect either of them, and you'll have max line pressure.

If you're running a switch inside the cabin, I'd suggest using the - (D) pin/wire, because then if it shorts out to anything, you won't blow the transmission fuse and you can still drive it.

I can tell you this - it doesn't make for a fun casual drive with it disconnected... You'll get jarred around pretty good. But, when you know you're going to do a WOT blast, or a spirited drive through the country, it makes it all the fun in the world.

fubar569
02-12-06, 07:22 PM
Not this *exact* way. I built a paddle shift transmission control module, and set the pressure to follow the throttle. At WOT, the signal to the pressure solenoid is effectively zero. It makes driving fun, let me tell you what... ;)

I'll post the connector diagram for the transmission in a sec...

pressure dependent on throttle & paddle shift? you are officially my hero...
any pics of that? sounds kick ass...lol

eldorado1
02-12-06, 10:47 PM
I think there are some pics on my cardomain site,

cardomain.com/id/northstarfiero (http://cadillacforums.com/forums/cardomain.com/id/northstarfiero)

haven't updated it or checked it in forever...

Tommy Deville
02-12-06, 11:34 PM
why dont these caddys come witha preformance/normal switch like the auoras had, I was surprised that My concurs did not have that, and the tranny fluid life monitor, as well as the oil pressure read out. thats 3 things

fubar569
02-13-06, 12:06 AM
that is a pretty trick setup...very impressed!

i think i'm gonna get antsy cause i took a floating day from work and i'm gonna install the cd player i have laying around (DEH-P840MP) and maybe try the trans mod. maybe...

i def want to investigate the intake system a little bit and see what i can do about improvements there

96-deville-man
02-15-06, 10:02 PM
This is the connector as you see it coming from the transmission, looking at the end. Pins C and D are pressure solenoid + and - respectively. Disconnect either of them, and you'll have max line pressure.

If you're running a switch inside the cabin, I'd suggest using the - (D) pin/wire, because then if it shorts out to anything, you won't blow the transmission fuse and you can still drive it.

I can tell you this - it doesn't make for a fun casual drive with it disconnected... You'll get jarred around pretty good. But, when you know you're going to do a WOT blast, or a spirited drive through the country, it makes it all the fun in the world.

so if i put a switch on the -(D) wire how muc inprovement will i see is it really that hard of a hit. would it be safe to go from a stop with the switch in the open side.? is it safe to use every once in a while or whats the limit on using it in the open setup?

and what does that modifier do? the one from grantelli.

and that controller you made is it a factory bolt in? and can you use it as an auto then switch to manual. and how much would one run?

eldorado1
02-16-06, 12:48 AM
I couldn't tell you how much improvement you'd see, because I've never ridden in a stock caddy. I'm not particularly interested in building any more TCMs at this time...

As for reliability, every time I do a WOT, I have it "disconnected". I can say I've probably done thousands of them without problem. ;)

davesdeville
02-16-06, 01:50 AM
You're also like 3/4 the weight of a Caddy.

96-deville-man
02-16-06, 12:12 PM
i dont plan on disconneting it and leaveing so its not like it will be on full pressure all the time. i was just wondering how many of you have done it and how much. one more question will it throw a code?

96-deville-man
02-17-06, 04:33 PM
one more question where is the connection on the tranny?

96-deville-man
02-20-06, 01:08 AM
I did this mod tonight.

The hardest part was finding the connector. (Its on the bottem of the tranny you can see it just behind the crossmember.) I dont have a switch on it yet though because it was getting late and had to have my dad drive it for the test. There was a noticable improvement in shifts but more impressive was the fact that how much more power it seemed to put down. It tryed to spin in first but because of traction control it really couldnt it would just barley slip. It really wasnt to rough. This mod IMO is worth the time to put a switch in. well next on the list is front axle barrings man are they annoying.

fubar569
02-20-06, 02:25 AM
96, thanks for the actual feedback! sometime soon i hope to crawl under mine...when it's not 3 degrees in the sun...damn winter weather!

96-deville-man
02-21-06, 01:24 AM
no problem i have no problem doing testing thats free.