: Would you buy a Chinese Cadillac?

Caddyshack100
02-11-06, 11:36 AM
It has been forecasted that in 10 to 15 years, most made in North America car production will be moved to China. Other than the political dynamite this will create, does anybody think this possible? We seem to have been able to overlook the fact that a lot of our parts are being made there, granted the quality is not always the greatest, look at Wal-Mart, they are bringing in more and more containers of the stuff from China every year. We as consumers are lapping it up because of price. I personally do not want to buy a Chinese made Caddy, god knows what they will do it, but a Caddy that now costs $50 k, could now be made and shipped back here for 30 k, I wonder if that will get anybody to bite. It makes me wonder though why it has not worked in Mexico.

Dew Barfer
02-11-06, 07:41 PM
honestly i'd rather buy a mexican built caddy than an over seas one,,,,,mexico is still atleast attached to america lol

Sandy
02-11-06, 09:32 PM
Sadly & regretably the majority of the population of the USA doesn't care where their widgets are built, they will buy the cheapest widgets made, and with the low wages in China, that is where many many products come from. Japan. Japanese car makers have steamrolled over Chrysler, and are more profitable than Ford, and have set their sights on taking over GM.
The public (Read: Americans; could care less) They are short sighted and do not care about the future of industrailation of their country, period. They will buy their products from the cheapest source, even from Iraq, if they can beat the price of a product made in Chicago! There is no patriotism left in this country, EXCEPT on the 4-th of July when they all drive their Toyotas to the 4-th of July parade! We live in a me me me me I I I I myself myself myself world, where we think only of ourselves 98% of the time.

So, to answer you, YES, Chinese Caddys would sell like hot cakes here, because the price would drop $20,000 !

I, personally would purchase a Japanese car made in America or Japan, it makes no difference as soon as the Japanese government could bring back my Uncle that they killed at Pearl Harbor.

Likewise, I'd buy a German car as soon as Germany could bring back my Grandparents who were cooked in the gas chambers over there.

Untill such time, they can stick their lousey cars were the sun don't shine !

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-12-06, 05:24 PM
If Cadillacs are ever made in China, I dont think I would purchase one. I dont like the idea of a foreign country building the pride of the american fleet. Plus as it is, the Cadillacs well keep getting less traditional. And by that point, when I have the money to actually afford a brand new Cadillac, if I dont like what they have to offer, I'll put my money somewhere else. Like over at M-B or Audi. But I doubt I'll ever have the money where I can afford one nice german car. I think I would much rather have two or three american luxury cars.

mccombie_5
02-12-06, 06:34 PM
Coming from a country where there is NO domestic car market anymore, we're stuck with buying something foreign.

Even Dad's Vauxhall was built in Germany, although Honda and Nissan have plants here, the Nissan plant being down the road from me. Alot of people round here drive Nissans, because they are cheaper to the staff, two of my friends parents have the same selection of Nissans, one Primera, and one X-Trail SUV. These cars are top of the line, people here now think nothing of buying a foreign car, because since Rover died, Jaguar and Land Rover were sold to America, Vauxhall owned by GM and built mostly in Germany (although some are made here) Rolls Royce sold to Germany, along with Bentley. Even TVR wasnt spared and was sold to Russia.

Were stuck with buying a used Rover, or a new car from abroad, and people are always going to take a new car. As long as it is at the right price.

Imagine you were British, and its 1994. Which of these would you rather drive?

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Stuff/3thecrateplate.jpg

The Rover 200

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Stuff/golf.jpg

Or the VW Golf?

Having experienced both, my dad drove a 200 (214i) and my friend Julie has a Golf of the same age, and people will buy the better product. The Golf was cheaper when new, and did so much more, and it is reflected in the prices now.

It's a shame, and I hope Americas auto industry doesnt go the same way ours did.

Sandy
02-13-06, 01:16 AM
I traded a Sterling back in like 1992, I believe it was a 1990 (?) I thought it to be a very nice car. I actually hung my dealer plate on it and parked my "Demo" for like 2 weeks so I could enjoy the Sterling. I forget the model, but it was large for a european car and had a V-8 and alot of luxury. I like it.
A friend had a TVR Tasmin 850i for a while. Fussy little car, but large on looks! Turned heads and spin bodies around! Gold Metallic with Sand Leather and Chocolate cloth roof. Flashy elegant little speedster. Never knew anyone with a Bentley or a Rolls. Have known many people with Jags.

You oughta find yourself a Tasmin 850i when you get your license. They are sharp.

http://www.pixeltechnology.co.uk/wedge/owners_marshall4.jpg

HotRodSaint
02-13-06, 10:06 AM
All automotive production isn't ever going to be shifted to China, so the question of a Chinese produced Cadillac is a none issue.

I remember when people were worried that Japan was buying Hawaii real estate. Guess what?? Hawaii is still part of the US and we bought back those Japanese real estate investments when their bubble burst.

mccombie_5
02-13-06, 11:34 AM
I traded a Sterling back in like 1992, I believe it was a 1990 (?) I thought it to be a very nice car. I actually hung my dealer plate on it and parked my "Demo" for like 2 weeks so I could enjoy the Sterling. I forget the model, but it was large for a european car and had a V-8 and alot of luxury. I like it.
A friend had a TVR Tasmin 850i for a while. Fussy little car, but large on looks! Turned heads and spin bodies around! Gold Metallic with Sand Leather and Chocolate cloth roof. Flashy elegant little speedster. Never knew anyone with a Bentley or a Rolls. Have known many people with Jags.

You oughta find yourself a Tasmin 850i when you get your license. They are sharp.

http://www.pixeltechnology.co.uk/wedge/owners_marshall4.jpg

A Sterling, you mean one of these Sandy? Sold in America as the Sterling, in the UK as the Rover 800, with the Sterling being the top model sedan, and the Vitesse being the top model fastback.

Sterling Sedan:
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Stuff/wiltsterling_01.jpg

Dad had one in 1988, he liked it alot, kept it until 1994. He also had another car for when it was rainy. Or sunny. Or foggy.

This is the fastback model, IIRC never sold in America:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Stuff/r800_16.jpg

I love those old TVRs, it might be a few years until I can afford one, so far the cheapest car I have found to insure is another Rover, the 100, my Grandad currently drives a 1.4 (yes 1400 CC) sports model, and that would cost me 3000 ($5,200) to insure for 10 months as a new driver. This is Grandad's:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Stuff/RoverGTa002.jpg

I am looking at 1.1 (1100 CC :banghead: ) models, which will be about 1600 ($2700) for 10 months.

Sandy
02-13-06, 02:58 PM
THAT was a ROVER ?? Ha Ha Ha, who knew ?? Here it was a STERLING (Fancy Name). I really enjoyed it & thought it was a nice alternative.

We did have the fastback, I am pretty sure, as I definately recall seeing them, But I think it was in the final year it was sold here. Stereling was sold here for 3 maybe 4 years the most. The f'back was the LAST year, as sales of the car were terrrible, and they tried to pump it up in the last year with something new to talk about. I am sure it was sold here, 1 year.

I almost bought a TVR Tasmin 850i in 1988-89. My friend was ga ga nuts over them & took me to see. I must admit I thought they were beautiful!! Looked like designed by what's his name...Giogio ..... G.... Razor sharp lines and clean cuts. My friend got the only Gold one sent to USA. Beige leather, all that real wood and Chocolate cloth top. They had a knock 'ya socks off yellow one with black leather & top and I was very tempted. But, it was too small for me, and back then I was thin !! So, I stayed with my luxury & bought a 88 Sedan de Ville. 'Ya, grandpa car, but I've been driving Grandpa cars since I was 19. When I hit 70, I'm getting a 'Vette and go the other way to kid cars.

mccombie_5
02-13-06, 03:36 PM
Yup, a Rover, I didnt even realise that the 800/Sterling was sold there until recently, the reason they used the Sterling name is that it had already been semi established because they sold London Taxis in America under that name earlier. Plus it was too recent to relaunch the Rover brand there since it had flopped with the SD1 only a few years earlier.

The Sterling was a nice looking car, well styled, I think it made straight edges look cool again!

They replaced in in 1993 with a facelifted model, which included a coupe, had this initially been sold in America, I think it may have done well. Unfortunately by the time the coupe was launched Rover had pullled out of the US entirely.

If you get time, take a look at this site, theres some info about it in the Rover 800 section in the navigation bar on the left http://austin-rover.co.uk/ makes some interesting reading. I think you will also be surprised to find out it was also developed jointly with Honda!

The part about the 800 is about 2/3 of the way down under the heading "THE CARS"

Those TVRs are nice, but IIRC they are made of fibreglass, not wonderful really, although they are great looking, with oodles of Britishness! They make for great little cars to have fun with, but I think you'd need another car to drive in the rain, because you'd almost certainly die driving any TVR (even the new ones!) in the rain!

A Corvette eh?! DO many people reach that age and buy Corvettes there? Most people in this country go out and buy one of the above pictured Rover 100s when they hit 70!

Edit: There is also a nice little section about Sterling (the marque) under FACTS AND FIGURES > MARQUES > STERLING, even more interesting!

Sandy
02-13-06, 06:13 PM
'Ya a decent number of guys over 65 drive 'Vettes, as they are trying to appear young & youthful and "hip" and "Cool" to attract the ladies and get themselves a ~HOT~ Chick in her late 50s to mid 60s ! My wife's GYN who also delivered our son is like 73 or so & drives a silver Coupe ('Vette) a la 2004. Before that he had a bright yellow 'Vert, 2001. He'll be getting a 2007, next year. While my dentist is like 29 and is single and drives a Buick Park Avenue Ultra 4-Dr Sedan !

mccombie_5
02-13-06, 06:20 PM
I thought they would start buying them at 45...

Mid life crisis time!

Isnt that odd, it seems to be the "correct" way round in this country. Older people typically bought those afore mentioned Sterlings new, Rover was always traditionalist cars. Big barges. Well, for a British car anyway.

Well, you see the car my Grandad drives above, not a barge, but still a Rover.

Think 40mpg, and its good for 110mph.

Destroyer
02-14-06, 04:29 PM
I knew the Sterlings were Rovers but if memory serves right they had Acura V6 motors and not V8's.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-14-06, 06:31 PM
I knew the Sterlings were Rovers but if memory serves right they had Acura V6 motors and not V8's.

Yup exactly, Sterling was a thing between Rover and Acura/Honda IIRC.

boricuacaddy
02-14-06, 06:55 PM
Where I work we make office supplies and recently my company is importing from China. It is a lot cheaper to buy from China than produce here. I tell you I would not buy from China, The quality is inferior to what we make here. The sad thing is people don't care as long as it is cheaper to buy. Eventually China will learn to make quality product and cut us out and sell direct to the public. Very sad indeed!

David

caddeville
02-14-06, 11:23 PM
I found out about this about 1 month ago. I forgot to make a thread. I freaked about this. It will be cheap to make, but the cars will NOT last long. China is making cars already and they are Europe. My uncle told me and my dad all about it. The brand new 2005 cars that are made in china are already rusty around the edges and the paint is starting to fade. But they tend to sell really fast. The most luxury car that looks IDENTICAL to a land rover inside and out is about $12,000 US.

caddeville
02-14-06, 11:24 PM
The thought of a chinese cadillac makes me sick.

Caddyshack100
02-14-06, 11:39 PM
Well Caddeville, I did not know that BC gave drivers licences to 15 year olds, lol.. nevertheless as you are from there, you would know about the giant development at Prince Rupert that will be servicing all of North America, guess where all the ships are coming from? Yep China.. the Roberts bank terminal and Tacoma and Vancouver all import mostly from China and going to Walmart and other big chain stores. Look at Korea, they started off with a crappy car and have now moved into the big leagues, they only have 5 percent of the population of China. As I have said in my opening at the top, it will be political dynamite for the cars to made there, but in my opinion, the public has already accepted foreign cars, look at Toyota, Honda. Look at Germany where their wage costs are so high that they make their beetles in Mexico. It is sad to say but you can blame Wal-mart, they because of their belief that they can force suppliers to cut costs to pass on to us the consumer so we will buy more, it has forced so many companies in North America to fold their tents here and go overseas in order to stay competitive. I wonder how long a great company like Edlebrock will stay building them in the USA, some chinese front company will start selling knockoffs, by then the damage will already have been done. NO. this is not like the Japanese buying Hawaii, the Chinese are in it for the long term, and unless the world forces them to clean up their act and start treating their people properly, there will be more and more made in China labels.

caddeville
02-15-06, 12:36 AM
I don't have my license yet, but i do have my car. Look on cardomain.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-15-06, 09:08 PM
*Cough* Owned *Cough*

lacmang
02-16-06, 02:27 AM
I would never buy a Cadillac made anywhere but the U.S. If they make Cadillacs in China it will probably be to sell to Chinese people. This country is really going to sh!t. I'm sick of all the jobs being outsourced to places like India. Even Dell computers has all there tech support jobs in India. So if we don't put buy it, it won't keep going on. Its a shame how greedy these companies are.

GM still has american tech support, because they know better. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot trying to get us to buy foreign made "American" cars.

Caddyshack100
02-16-06, 08:37 AM
So if we don't put buy it, it won't keep going on. Its a shame how greedy these companies are. That has put it in a nutshell lacmang, as long as we the consumer buy the product and not care where its made, then the china juggernaut will still roll.

Your last comment was interesting though, GM, Ford and DC, think the world is their playground and not just the US. Alot of those 'american' cars you talk about are made in foreign countries already.

The Dodge Charger....Brampton, Ontario, Canada
The Dodge Magnum...Same
The Chyrsler 300...Same

The Old Dodge minivan started in Windsor, Ontario, then when they started selling like hotcakes, DC opened another American factory.

The true american muscle car, the Firebird and Camaro, were only built in Quebec, Canada, up until they stopped selling them.

GM makes, the Silverado in Oshawa, Ontario
as well as the Regal, and other W bodies.

Ford makes F150's in Oakville, Ontario

The Equinox is made in Ingersoll, Ontario.

I know that Mexico makes various models for the US market as well. But most of the Canadian made cars are for the US market, very little is for the Canadian market, it is just not that big.

Ask the people of Flint if GM has any loyalty to a place. They are only doing what their shareholders want them to do, make money. GM may not move all their production there, maybe one or two models, then as the infrastructure and the bugs get worked out, more and more.

I agree with you though, I think a Chinese Caddy would be the pits.

HotRodSaint
02-16-06, 10:16 AM
It is sad to say but you can blame Wal-mart...

Actually you can blame the Clinton administration for allowing China to gain membership in the WTO.

You can't really blame Walmart for doing what it was encouraged to do by an adminstration that was supposedly elected to help American companies and workers.

You can also blame the blind partisans, who didn't want to know about the illegal campaign contributions given to Gore by the Chinese.

And the reason I don't worry about China, is that it's wages and costs to do business are already increasing. There is a shortage of qualified workers in the industrial regions, which has lead to an increase in wages, which is removing the benefit of manufacturing in China.

Zorb750
02-20-06, 05:37 AM
I want a ZIL.