: Would you do it again?

keendog42
02-11-06, 10:34 AM
I've been reading through the forum here for about a week and I'm not quite sure about the reliability of the V. I'm getting ready to replace my Audi with 140,000 miles on it. I fell in love with the V the first time that I saw it and I'm hoping to check one out at the Auto Show today. This will be my daily driver and will not be doing any type of racing but I do like to drive a little spirited. I guess the question is; Is everyone having reliablity issues or are the ones having the problems doing the most post?

DaveBlk
02-11-06, 10:45 AM
Mine has been great !!! Wouldn't even think of getting any other car yet!!!!- Wait maybe a XLR-V:cloud9:

BowenCT
02-11-06, 10:54 AM
My car is great too, however it is not my daily driver.....7700 miles in two years. Many owners on this forum do use their V as main transportation and will most likely defend the V when I say this, but I would not recommend the V as a daily driver. No way.

02-11-06, 11:01 AM
The other day I went to the wrong floor in my parking garage. There was an empty space where I thought I had parked my V. My initial thought was "I hope that I won't have to wait to long for another V."

The I realized my stupidity and walked upstairs to my car.

2 years, 11K miles (not a daily driver). No real mods (exhaust), no drag strips, no major problems. Still happy.

Florian
02-11-06, 11:08 AM
My car is great too, however it is not my daily driver.....7700 miles in two years. Many owners on this forum do use their V as main transportation and will most likely defend the V when I say this, but I would not recommend the V as a daily driver. No way.

What? I digress. I have used my V EXCLUSIVELY as a daily driver. I traded my STS in for the V and havent looked back. Highway/city its just too damn fun. I look for excuses to drive it. Best damn car Ive ever owned. 45K miles later, its still fun!

F

kjaj97
02-11-06, 11:15 AM
I leased my V as a daily driver 2 months ago. I don't think reliablity will be an issue - you can get scared away from any car reading web forums.

The V is a little bit of overkill for a daily driver though. When you get on it you tend to get up to "go to jail" speed really quick so I always feel a little restrained when driving it.

That said, I never looked forward to driving my Saab at the end of the day like I look forward to driving my V.

barry007
02-11-06, 11:23 AM
let's just the say the wife is furious that i spent a small fortune restoring my t/a and modding my bikes only to want to drive the V everyday...enough said.

wildwhl
02-11-06, 11:29 AM
My V hauls myself and son or sons every day. I would do it again in a heartbeat, and I have had more problems than most.

WW

keendog42
02-11-06, 11:36 AM
I know what you mean about the speed and overkill yes, but so is the 165hp Kawasaki ZZR1200 that I take to work whenever I get the chance. That's all part of it. My last two vehicles have been practical "family" vehicles but I just bought the wife a new Chevy crew cab to fill that role so this one's for me. And as far as forums go your right if you go to the ZZR forum cam pitting post would be the thing that could change someones purchasing decision.

trekster
02-11-06, 11:38 AM
Probably not. But that's just me.

ace996
02-11-06, 11:48 AM
For a daily driver that isn't going to see much autox or drag-strips, it's an insane vehicle. Its got looks, bite to back-up the bark, and an engine that is legendary. For your above purposes...go for it. But I must admit that had I known the problems that were in store for me with the V, I wouldn't have done it...and I'll not do it again.
-ace

homer403
02-11-06, 11:54 AM
Mine is a 2005 V with mods and many more coming. I use it on the track (VIR) and I use it as a daily driver. Wouldn't have it any other way. But then again, we folks here in DC/MD/VA area have Lindsay Cadillac, which makes a Big difference. For me, I would do it again but only with a LS6 and LS7... but that's just me.

mlg
02-11-06, 12:03 PM
N. Q. =no qustion, yes. if you ebjoy driving , there is no substitute for the $. u must ante up major bucks to find a drivers car that is more desirable.btw, ive driven most of the competition

wooderson
02-11-06, 12:59 PM
Lots of fun....everyone should own at least one in there lifetime.

Ziplicon Tuesday
02-11-06, 01:14 PM
Yeah, I'd do it again - you've got to be aware that this forum includes lots of serious gear-heads who take their vehicles to the limits and beyond - that the V attracts so many who really know what they're talking aout should tell you something...but they tend to drive'em hard.

It's got some quirks, but man I love it and look forward to driving it everyday. I use it as a daily driver too. I've also never had a car that causes SO many people to come over to talk about it - it's a real standout compared to any of the foreign models.

My English neighbors have had 3 Audis - had serious troubles with all 3 of them and will buy no more - I've had annoyances with the V but nothing I'd call a problem with it.

One thing though - if you not live down south, consider other tires than the runflats. I replaced mine with Conti Extremecontact all seasons - better ride, near as good handling, fine in foul weather and they stopped the wheel hop to0.... no sh*t....

Hey and BUY AMERICAN because it MATTERS!

jlakowicz
02-11-06, 01:14 PM
I'll be honest, no I would not by a V again. I'm tired of the bad clunks in mine, and I can't get rid of them. Can't get rid of the wheel hop eitherA modified LS6 is great, the power is great, the gearing in great, but who wants a car that clunks.

Forum members, don't get mad at me for bing negative, I'm keeping the car for now, and even doing a clutch to try to fix the clunk.

ronr
02-11-06, 01:26 PM
I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I drive it daily in the summer but garage it for the Michigan winters.

NoSlackCadillac
02-11-06, 01:35 PM
I would definitely do it again.

Last night I took my wife and three kids, two in car seats to the store, loaded the trunk with supplies, and drove home while they may or may not have watched Batman.

The car has me searching for every autocross, lapping day, and even test and tunes at the drag strip, just because it is so much fun to drive.

It is my daily driver and the cruise to work every day is one wrapped in the comforts of Cadillac.

I will admit that the wheel hop is a detractor. Launching the car doesn't give the satisfaction that comes with every other aspect of driving the car.
Unless spirited driving means dropping the clutch, I think you will be very happy with this car.

heavymetals
02-11-06, 01:57 PM
Suprised no one else said it.

GO DRIVE ONE.

Then try to convince yourself you don't want one.

CVP33
02-11-06, 02:08 PM
Screw me once shame on you.
Screw me twice shame on me.
Screw me three times, I'm beginning to lose feeling below the waste anyway.
Screw me four times, what is this prison?!
Screw me five times, ah geez fellas.
Screw me six times, I should be getting paid for this.

And yes I'll be back when the new platform comes out.

dqw1
02-11-06, 03:08 PM
Daily driver and would do it again. How can anyone leave it parked????

heavymetals
02-11-06, 03:29 PM

Gee, are we bitter or addicted?:suspense:

To recap, you had numerous problems and you got rid of the car.

Buyback or did you lose your ass trading it in on your replacement?

Get over it (this is one of the best forums though!).

(Ya know I bet you've been thinking about buying a used one!):yup:

You think I am kidding when I say YOUR DOOMED!? :lildevil:

roadracerx72
02-11-06, 03:41 PM
No problems but only 2100 miles so far. I would and plan on doing it again...

GAGS-V
02-11-06, 03:48 PM
Daily driver here in the L.A. area. As posted in so many, great car, ton of fun and I too can't wait to go somewhere, anywhere as long as I can take the V.

beers
02-11-06, 04:33 PM
14 months and 11,000 miles later - Yes, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Zero problems and an absolute blast to drive...

AmesCTS-V
02-11-06, 05:05 PM
Yup. I'd probably have to spend $100k to get something I'd want more than a V.

CVP33
02-11-06, 05:19 PM
Gee, are we bitter or addicted?:suspense:

To recap, you had numerous problems and you got rid of the car.

Buyback or did you lose your ass trading it in on your replacement?

Get over it (this is one of the best forums though!).

(Ya know I bet you've been thinking about buying a used one!):yup:

You think I am kidding when I say YOUR DOOMED!? :lildevil:

Sorry you thought my post was bitter. I was actually laughing the whole time I wrote it. I even re-read it and laughed again. And for the record I'm not currently doomed, but I would have to agree I may be doomed again if GM improves the V. Kind of hard to pass up GMS pricing. But I must say I finally love driving again and do so without fear.

Jschmank
02-11-06, 05:36 PM
I am a month and a half into my 2005 V daily driver. No problems, no real concerns, just enjoying the heck out of it. Great looking, comfortable, reasonable on gas, and a great engine and drive train despite its clunks and hops.

2004ctsv
02-11-06, 05:41 PM
I would definitely do it again.

My V is for pleasure only. I drive it to work probably a half dozen time each year. It's a hobby for me.

I've have it to the track a couple times each summer. It's the only place I can open it up safely. I am constantly tinkering with it. After air box, exhaust, clear bra and shifter mods, I am starting on the Maggie install as soon as all parts arrive.

I'll do headers in the fall and maybe start opening up the engine for cam and valves next year after I retire. I'm waiting on the new differentials to come out since I figure I'll crack mine after the s/c goes on. I hope I don't have to give up ride and handling for robustness.

If I had paid more for a car, I probably wouldn't mod it like the V. I couldn't find anything that cost less that I liked as much.

Tony

DrivingAmericanNow
02-11-06, 09:26 PM
Long time Audi guy here.........

Would I buy the V again?

:gnome: :excited: :band: :wes: :eyebrow: :dance: :2thumbs: :musical: :bouncy::woohoo:

AYUP....

rand49er
02-11-06, 09:36 PM
Screw me six times, I should be getting paid for this.Not that there's anything wrong with it.:grouphug:

GT04CTS-V
02-11-06, 10:38 PM
No - ah , yes, Damnit - Yes

The V is addictive.

GT

LV_V
02-11-06, 11:53 PM
No. BUT it is a riot to drive when it is able to...

M5eatr
02-12-06, 12:10 AM
Daily driver for me. Yes I would buy it again. Pushrod V8. Enough said.

ace996
02-12-06, 01:51 AM

Oh...man....you're a sharp one!!! I'm glad you can still laugh about it, funny thing...if the next platform has the necessary fixes, I'll probably be back, too!!

-ace

DarkKnight
02-12-06, 02:30 AM
To tell you the truth, I wish I would of waited and bought one of the SRTs, either the 300 or the Jeep. I just don't think the V is worth the extra cash, even at a discount.

ace996
02-12-06, 02:42 AM
To tell you the truth, I wish I would of waited and bought one of the SRTs, either the 300 or the Jeep. I just don't think the V is worth the extra cash, even at a discount.
Keep talking like that, DarkKnight, and you'll be banished to Castle Pu$$y, where the whiners sheath their swords and lament the issues of driveline woe....
-Lord Pu$$y

Vdrenaline
02-12-06, 12:20 PM
The V is an excellent daily driver and I would buy it again.

I had an Audi S4 prior to my V and when my S4 was stolen I drove all the fast cars (CL55, M5, M3, S4, RS6 and etc) before choosing the V over all of them.

I have had minor problems but nothing major such as a blown rear differential or transmission. My Audi had just as many niggling problems and the dealer experience was similar. I've never received great service from a dealer. Unfortunately, most are lazy about chasing down problems, don't seem to care about solving the issue if its not simple and staightforward and give miserable excuses for poor service and the sometimes poor engineering of their cars.

The V works very well as a daily driver. I bought it in March 2004 and now have 34,000 miles on it. It is my only car and I use it for everything. Its fairly large and when you fold down the rear seats, it has lots of storage space. It's an excellent highway cruiser. I wish they would offer an all wheel drive option because its nice to have if you live in the Northeast, as I do. If you like to drag race a lot, the wheel hop is not fun to deal with. For me that is not an issue. I drive it very fast but seldom drop the clutch from a standstill. Its handling is amazing and the engine sound is the best I have heard.

It is an awesome car and I would buy it again. Test drive one and see for yourself.

daytripper
02-13-06, 03:44 PM
How can anyone leave it parked????

See this thread for the answer to your question:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65514

My wife still can't understand why they even sell a car in the Northeast that comes with tires you can't even use in the rain -- and you probably won't even be where you left it parked on slick, sloped street in the winter. At least it only snows a couple of days per winter here.

No comment on the original question of would I buy again. Jury is still out.

Brian R.

VELOSE
02-13-06, 04:23 PM
The V is an excellent daily driver and I would buy it again.

I had an Audi S4 prior to my V and when my S4 was stolen I drove all the fast cars (CL55, M5, M3, S4, RS6 and etc) before choosing the V over all of them.

I have had minor problems but nothing major such as a blown rear differential or transmission. My Audi had just as many niggling problems and the dealer experience was similar. I've never received great service from a dealer. Unfortunately, most are lazy about chasing down problems, don't seem to care about solving the issue if its not simple and staightforward and give miserable excuses for poor service and the sometimes poor engineering of their cars.

The V works very well as a daily driver. I bought it in March 2004 and now have 34,000 miles on it. It is my only car and I use it for everything. Its fairly large and when you fold down the rear seats, it has lots of storage space. It's an excellent highway cruiser. I wish they would offer an all wheel drive option because its nice to have if you live in the Northeast, as I do. If you like to drag race a lot, the wheel hop is not fun to deal with. For me that is not an issue. I drive it very fast but seldom drop the clutch from a standstill. Its handling is amazing and the engine sound is the best I have heard.

It is an awesome car and I would buy it again. Test drive one and see for yourself.

:yeah:

and..........

I currently own a 2005.5 Audi B7 A4 2.0t Tiptronic Quattro. This is my daily driver. Mostly because I average 26mpg. I installed some Stasis/Koni street sport coilvers. It handles beautifully. It rides like if it were stock eventhough there is about .375" fender to wheel gap. It's quiet, comfortable, and gives me great gas mileage. This is the car I use to preserve my V from high mileage.

I'll have to say that eventhough the coilovers helped the Audi handle better, it still doesn't compare to my V. It doesn't compare to my V even before I had the hotchkis sways installed on the V.

The V is not as refined as the Audi in terms of drivetrain. The V does clunk and whine every once in awhile. That is due to the rear diff though. Other than that, the V is an exhilarating ride from 2nd gear on.

The answer to your question would be, yes.

Mostly because the rear diff is its only weakness, in my opinion. I haven't had mine blow and I have 16k miles. I do hear it whine and clunk but I'm hoping it doesn't blow till the aussies have our aftermarket diff ready this spring.

Hope all this info helps. If you don't come on board, and plan to stick with Audi for a replacement, don't get anything less than the RS4 if you are going V8. :thumbsup:

ace996
02-13-06, 06:52 PM
:yeah:

and..........

I currently own a 2005.5 Audi B7 A4 2.0t Tiptronic Quattro. This is my daily driver. Mostly because I average 26mpg. I installed some Stasis/Koni street sport coilvers. It handles beautifully. It rides like if it were stock eventhough there is about .375" fender to wheel gap. It's quiet, comfortable, and gives me great gas mileage. This is the car I use to preserve my V from high mileage.

I'll have to say that eventhough the coilovers helped the Audi handle better, it still doesn't compare to my V. It doesn't compare to my V even before I had the hotchkis sways installed on the V.

The V is not as refined as the Audi in terms of drivetrain. The V does clunk and whine every once in awhile. That is due to the rear diff though. Other than that, the V is an exhilarating ride from 2nd gear on.

The answer to your question would be, yes.

Mostly because the rear diff is its only weakness, in my opinion. I haven't had mine blow and I have 16k miles. I do hear it whine and clunk but I'm hoping it doesn't blow till the aussies have our aftermarket diff ready this spring.

Hope all this info helps. If you don't come on board, and plan to stick with Audi for a replacement, don't get anything less than the RS4 if you are going V8. :thumbsup:

Get a set of fat swaybars from Neuspeed and an ECU flash by APR, you'd be surprised at how it's a different car after that. Nice to hear you've the Stasis system...pretty cool technology.
-ace

Luna.
02-13-06, 07:08 PM
The only reason I don't drive mine every day is because I'm pacing myself!! If not for pacing myself, I fear I'd put 30k+ miles on it annually!

Personally, I cannot drive the stupid car enough.

The differential could still be a concern related to the '06 model, but I remain hopeful that the number of failures related to the '06 differential remains minimal, unlike the '05 and '04 units. So far, I'm not aware of many '06 differentials failing.

I consider my '05 differential a ticking timebomb and I am confident that it will fail, if not soon. I honestly believe, however, that a new '06 differential will last me for many trouble free miles, but only time will tell.

VELOSE
02-13-06, 07:23 PM
Get a set of fat swaybars from Neuspeed and an ECU flash by APR, you'd be surprised at how it's a different car after that. Nice to hear you've the Stasis system...pretty cool technology.
-ace

I've been contimplating on that APR flash but it doesn't make sense when I bought this car for it's good gas mileage.

I've also found out that "sport mode" on the tiptronic tranny brings out the best performance out of the Audi. So sometimes I do wonder how much fun the car can be with a flash.:hmm:

Dick's06Vee
02-13-06, 07:42 PM
I just bought my 06 in Dec. I love the car and it's a daily driver for me. Being retired though I probably won't put more than 10K or so on it a year.

I've owned some great cars over the years and the V is my favorite. Outstanding handling and performance, big ole American V-8 and a manual........all built into a 4-dr sedan.

I just got back from teaching in FL for three weeks. Flew down. First thing I did when I got home? Took the V out for a 30 mile drive. Like many others here have said, I look for reasons to take the car out!

But don't believe us.......drive it, you'll see.

Dick

Seattle CTS-V
02-13-06, 08:12 PM
Daily driver here! 9500 miles so far in 6 months. About 100 miles of that w/ a Maggie! I look forward to my commute just so I can drive Baby-V!

blown65
02-13-06, 08:21 PM
I would def get the car again. That being said, I prob wont cause I never seem to get the same car a second time. Dunno what Ill get but it will prob be something different, no fault of the car though.

ace996
02-13-06, 08:29 PM
I've been contimplating on that APR flash but it doesn't make sense when I bought this car for it's good gas mileage.

I've also found out that "sport mode" on the tiptronic tranny brings out the best performance out of the Audi. So sometimes I do wonder how much fun the car can be with a flash.:hmm:

Sorry for the offtopic....
The APR flashes are unreal on the turbos...4cyl turbos feel as if they grow 2 more , 6cyl twin-turbos become outrageous. The stock turbos are spun much harder down low, and the torque difference is shocking! Up top, the turbos are pulled back somewhat to avoid over-boost and to keep temps lower. But for the gas mileage, there's really no difference if you drive the same...I actually realized better mileage at highway cruise...but its hard to keep out of the boost.

Imagine a 20% increase in horsepower and 40% increase in torque for under ...I think it's $600, no? Now...that'd bring the V to 480hp/560tq...????

Do it...it'll feel like you've got a new car (or motor).
-ace

wildwhl
02-14-06, 01:00 AM
Velose -

You won't regret the flash - I promise. I have some experience here. Gas milage shouldn't suffer unless you add some lead to your shoes. Listen to Ace - come to hpmama!

WW

calicadi
02-14-06, 01:13 AM
Would I do it again?... in a New York minute. No reliablility issues with my 04.

People with problems post a lot to share information, seek help, sympathy. Everyone with knowledge and opinions pipes up. Some helpful, some maybe not, but most try to do good. Same is probably true of all forums.

Dreamin
02-14-06, 01:57 AM
Thread #1: Yes, would do it again in a minute...

Thread #2: Would you guys stop trying to get him to spend money on his *other* car... he need to spend it on the V! :lildevil:

VELOSE
02-14-06, 01:48 PM
Too funny......thread #2. :histeric:

Thread #1- Go get an LS2 V now.