: Which car would you chose?

SpeedyArizona
02-10-06, 11:01 PM
Ok, I have a poll for everyone. Out of these cars, which would you chose and why? Still making up my mind on a new vehicle and wanted some input.

davc
02-10-06, 11:20 PM
quite a strange variety of choices ...!!! you need to figure out what you want your vehicle to do ...??? a Jeep or a Porsche ...??? WTF ...

but i've had a Boxster S and it was a lot of fun to drive .... could fit golf clubs in trunk ... if you have a short driver ..!! and still throw some other crap in the front ...!! but don't ever plan on seeing your engine ...!!!
stereo really sucks ..!! just listen to the engine ..!!

Kev
02-10-06, 11:30 PM
Easy choice for me. Cadillac over the other two any day for me.

SpeedyArizona
02-10-06, 11:34 PM
quite a strange variety of choices ...!!! you need to figure out what you want your vehicle to do ...??? a Jeep or a Porsche ...??? WTF ...

I don't really want it to "do" anything except RUN! I would like a convertible, but if I could find a decently priced '02 Eldorado...

I'm not really set yet, just a fun poll to see the votes. Maybe even a Porsche 911....yeah right!

davc
02-10-06, 11:57 PM
had the tranny rebuilt in my 1st 911 ... $3k to rebuild .... but it RAN ...

if you wanna get into older Porsches , you need to do some research ..!!

something that runs doesn't narrow the field very much ...??!!??

JimHare
02-11-06, 12:10 AM
No contest.

Already got a '96 Cherokee Laredo that primarily acts as a mobile storage bin for the junk I don't want in my basement... :o

Always hated Porsches. All German cars, for that matter. No soul. Thought they were better than you. Tended to be driven by people who were schmucks (any present company excepted, of course.. lol)

Take the Eldo and run :p

gary88
02-11-06, 12:28 AM
I would definatley go with the Eldorado. I never saw anything special about the Boxter. My friend's dad has an S, it's fun to drive and all, but it just doesn't have the feeling a 911 has.

slk230mb
02-11-06, 01:07 AM
Eldorado, but I want a coupe for my next car. Plus it's a Cadillac, how can you go wrong?

Night Wolf
02-11-06, 03:09 AM
HEH!

Well...

heh...

ok, 2 of those vehicles are the exact 2 that I would be be considering next (though I already decided :) ) and 1 I would never want to own :).

The Eldorado.. I personally would want a mint, low mileage, fully loaded 1995 ETC over the '02... thats just me though :).

I personally say the Jeep though... if you have been rading any of my recent posts, you'll understand.. question though.. why '04-'06? '03 is the same as '04.... in '03 alot of changes were made, good changes... and none of them needed to be "worked out" so '03's are great as well... in '05 the newer 6spd replaced the 5spd manual... its a toss up with those though, as the gearing is quirky... 1st gear (on the 6spd) is too low for daily driving use, but too high for rock crawling... so many people start in 2nd on the street. 6th gear on is 0.82:1 while 5th on the 5spd is 0.80:1... so the 5spd actually has a deeper OD... if you are keeping it stock, or 31/32" tires... the 6spd's issues can be noticeable.. move up to 33"+ tires though and it smooths out the edges and is very nice gearing to work with the increased tire diameter.

If you plan to off-road at all... well... once you get the Jeep you will be :) but the Rubicon is a nice buy, its a bit more then a similar year Sport, but the front and rear lockers alone would even out the price. I woudln't get an SE, and I woudln't get an X for the simple reason that you can't get the Dana44 with the X... thats another thing, like the 4.0 I6, make sure the Jeep has the Dana44 rear end, as the D35 is junk. you can eaisly tell by looking at it.. the D35 is round while the D44 bulges in the center... D35 has rubber drain plug and D44 has metal plug.

I have 3 luxury cars... 3 boats... I am well tired of the same thing...

I want a manual transmission, I want a convertible... most of all, I want a 4x4 truck and to start personally getting into off-road... with an unlimited aftermarket for the TJ, alowing you to customize it anyway you like... its simply a no brainer...

in my case, yeah, I would really like a 1995 Eldorado ETC... sweet cars in every aspect... but thats just it, I am tired of the same thing... I gotta live young and the Jeep will alow me to do that....not to mention I really like that I6 :).

Night Wolf
02-11-06, 03:10 AM
BTW asking that and expecting to get any useful poll ratings is tough on the Caddy site...

mccombie_5
02-11-06, 04:37 AM
I'd say either the Porsche or the Eldorado, but I see you aleady have an Eldorado, and surely it couldn't be that much different? I know it is nice to own a last of the line edition, but whatever age it is its going to be collectable in a few years anyway.

The Porsche is a convertible, and handles like a dream being mid engined it doesnt have the handling issues of the 911. (engine hangin' out over the ass) But you will not be able to carry anything at all really, but if you want to take people places you will have the Eldorado I presume?

As for the Jeep, I wouldn't contemplate a Jeep, but I come from the home of Land Rover, so I wouldn't :p. If the Jeep is your kind of thing, go for it, but judging by the current crop, and your job, I dont think it is somehow, it could be but I think you might be more happy in something with some bodywork and interior appointments.

Sandy
02-11-06, 10:26 AM
The Eldorado, but with 1,536 Collector's Editions, it's gonna be REAL HARD to find one in super nice condition. Probably will take 18 months of searching, and then you;ll find it 7 states away from you !:nono:

davesdeville
02-11-06, 10:33 AM
Eldo.

Patrick7997
02-11-06, 10:48 AM
Eldorado, all the way, not even a contest.

My cousin's buddy had a Boxster... people think some Cadillacs are maintenance headaches.... ha! The Boxster was nice, when it was running... which wasn't all that often.

Parts are real hard to get.... hard to find anyone to work on it... Porsche mechanics will hand you an estimate for $9000 without batting an eye....

Get your checkbook ready if you're gonna buy the Boxster, that's just fair warning. Oil change? Try $185...

Jesda
02-11-06, 11:05 AM
Well, youve got an Eldo. Get the Porsche! I like Jeeps but Im not a Wrangler guy.

HotRodSaint
02-11-06, 11:34 AM
I'd hold out for the '07 4-dr Wrangler!!

http://cwimg.us.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=CW&Dato=20060123&Kategori=PHOTOS02&Lopenr=124001&Ref=PH&Item=4&Logo=/g/autoweek_watermark.gif&Maxw=600

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-11-06, 11:49 AM
I picked the Eldo because that one has a chance of being collectible in the future, plus its a Cadillac, and its rare, and very roadable. I dont like Wranglers at all. They're small, loud, uncomfortable, low tech, gas guzzlers that only serve one purpose and thats too offroad, and if you dont offroad, its a useless vehicle IMO. And Porsches are nice and would be great in the arizona sun, but I only really like the 996 911's and the 928's. Besides, they have exorbitant maintance costs. I work in a Nissan dealer, and we got a Boxster in on trade, and one of the first things we did was an oil change. For Nissan cars, an oil change is $25.39, For the Boxster, it was $110. 10 quarts of synthetic oil, plus a $31 dollar canister type filter!

SpeedyArizona
02-11-06, 12:56 PM
That's the one thing that worries me with the Boxster, the upkeep costs'. I'm not totally set on a single vehicle yet, but the overwhelming majority here likes the Eldorado (...what a suprise!).

Well, I'm going to the mall to pick up a new pair of slacks.

Night Wolf
02-11-06, 12:59 PM
I'd hold out for the '07 4-dr Wrangler!!

http://cwimg.us.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=CW&Dato=20060123&Kategori=PHOTOS02&Lopenr=124001&Ref=PH&Item=4&Logo=/g/autoweek_watermark.gif&Maxw=600

Get with the times man! :)

http://www.inclinedvehicles.com/2007-jeep-wrangler.asp

bobkat
02-11-06, 01:06 PM
Hey Speedy !! You forgot a checkbox... "None of the above" :)

I love Caddies but the Eldo never really did much for me. I'd like to find a mint '96 Fleetwood LT1 with low miles and no vinyl roof. Preferably black with a medium blue interior -- classic Cadillac... :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-11-06, 01:26 PM
How bout an M3?

HotRodSaint
02-11-06, 01:43 PM
Get with the times man! :)

http://www.inclinedvehicles.com/2007-jeep-wrangler.asp

I don't see a picture of a 4-DOOR Wrangler in that link!! :hmm: :duck:

Night Wolf
02-11-06, 01:49 PM
I don't see a picture of a 4-DOOR Wrangler in that link!! :hmm: :duck:

true.

there is a link with pictures of the 4 door (complete) I would have to search for it tho....

gothicaleigh
02-11-06, 04:13 PM
I'd pick Eldorado and those last model year Collector's Editions are nice (I would have bought one when I purchased my CTS if the dealer markup hadn't been so insane). That and just coming from an ETC, I wanted something a bit different.

Honestly though, from the three you listed it really depends on what kind of car you want/need. I don't think there is any fair way to compare a luxury car, an off-road vehicle, and a sports car. Your choices couldn't be further from each other in purpose.
:bonkers:

HotRodSaint
02-11-06, 05:12 PM
there is a link with pictures of the 4 door (complete) I would have to search for it tho....

I'd love to see that link!! :bouncy:

Back to the topic, maybe a Cayenne is what you really need. It would satisfy most of what you are craving, while leaving you with none of the unpleasant after taste. :p

urbanski
02-11-06, 05:47 PM
a boxster will always be a feminine "chick car" to me

bobkat
02-11-06, 05:51 PM
a boxster will always be a feminine "chick car" to me

True... but not quite as chicky as a Toyota Solara.:eek:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-11-06, 06:16 PM

Or a 1st gen M-B SLK

urbanski
02-11-06, 06:34 PM
indeed, funny since my boss drives one and i chuckle every time i see him in it :thepan:

oh dont forget sebrings....those are really really chickys

bobkat
02-11-06, 06:46 PM
indeed, funny since my boss drives one and i chuckle every time i see him in it :thepan:

HeHeHe ... My ex-boss drove one too until his sales manager told him exactly that... "The Solara is built for chicks...". Boss drives straight over to an Audi dealer and drives off in a brand new S4, with a V8 Yet !!! Nice little car.

fast66
02-11-06, 09:49 PM
If your a big guy the boxter would be out of the question, last time i sat in one I couldnt turn the steering wheel without using my knees. Get the wrangler

Jesda
02-11-06, 11:08 PM
Hey Speedy !! You forgot a checkbox... "None of the above" :)

I love Caddies but the Eldo never really did much for me. I'd like to find a mint '96 Fleetwood LT1 with low miles and no vinyl roof. Preferably black with a medium blue interior -- classic Cadillac... :thumbsup:

You have excellent taste!

FSU_Noles
02-11-06, 11:29 PM

oh dont forget sebrings....those are really really chickys

I think the VW Rabbit/Cabriolet convertible was the ultimate chick car.

http://pics.hoobly.com/full/GM5Y2Q3OT7NT.jpg

Stoneage_Caddy
02-11-06, 11:31 PM
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiasts/Spy_Shots/Spy_Shots_07_Jeep_Wrangler_Four-Door.S178.A9767.html

HotRodSaint
02-12-06, 09:57 AM
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiasts/Spy_Shots/Spy_Shots_07_Jeep_Wrangler_Four-Door.S178.A9767.html

That's where I saw that shot. That's a better picture than the ones on the Autoweek link I posted.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-12-06, 11:41 AM
im just a wee bit excited about the return of the cherokee

bobkat
02-12-06, 01:09 PM
You have excellent taste!

Thanks Jesda !!! :) Just tellin' it like it is.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-12-06, 01:21 PM
Fast 66, those wheels look really nice on that EXT!

beemer2k
02-12-06, 11:14 PM
Always hated Porsches. All German cars, for that matter. No soul. Thought they were better than you. Tended to be driven by people who were schmucks
Hey, what the...!!!

(any present company excepted, of course.. lol) Oh... yeah, uh, no offense taken.:D

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-12-06, 11:17 PM
Stereotype says BMW drivers for the most part are *******s
:rolleyes:

Stereotype also says all Cadillac drivers are old.
:rolleyes: :thepan:

Jesda
02-13-06, 08:03 AM
I do believe that BMW drivers are pr1cks. Something about having that propeller on the hood of my car has caused me to flash my beams and tailgate the elderly more than ever.

"Bewegung! Bewegung! Ich muß an das discotheque gelangen!"

Katshot
02-13-06, 08:33 AM
Considering I recently bought an '05 Wrangler, I felt compelled to vote for the Jeep in this poll. I can't imagine NOT having a Wrangler in Scottsdale, AZ. Talk about the perfect vehicle for the area. I toured around AZ a few years ago while staying in Sedona. Beautiful state. Amazing in it's diverse terrain too. Anyway, I have no wish to own a Porsche, especially a Boxster. Certainly have no wish for another Caddy, my FTS is the only one I want. The Jeep is really something special. It's more about what it's NOT than what it IS. Anyone that's actually a Wrangler owner usually gets that about these vehicles.
The new Wrangler looks real impressive but I'm afraid that Jeep is starting to make the Wrangler into a more "something for everyone" type of vehicle and that is a bad idea. They intend to start putting electronics into it, in an effort to "civilize" it. Again, I feel this is wrong. 4-doors? Definately wrong!
The Wrangler is simple, reliable, agile, fun, and cheap. These are all the reasons why I bought one. I guess I bought at the right time.

Destroyer
02-13-06, 09:02 AM
No contest.

Always hated Porsches. All German cars, for that matter. No soul. Thought they were better than you. Tended to be driven by people who were schmucks (any present company excepted, of course.. lol)

Take the Eldo and run :p
I (Mr. Shmuck to you) voted for the Porsche. I love German cars and have owned a few Mercedes and a 928 Porsche. Never really understand why people hate on the people that drive them. In traffic people will not let you cut in front, in parking lots it seems they go out of their way to make sure they give you a little dent when opening their car doors. I dont get it.

BTW: No car has a soul:thepan:

gothicaleigh
02-13-06, 09:46 AM
I do believe that BMW drivers are pr1cks. Something about having that propeller on the hood of my car has caused me to flash my beams and tailgate the elderly more than ever.
"Bewegung! Bewegung! Ich muß an das discotheque gelangen!"

:histeric:

I do tend to drive my e30 more aggressively than my CTS. I'm a pr!ck and proud of it though.

Speed up or get the hell outta the way. :burn:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-13-06, 11:01 AM
BTW: No car has a soul:thepan:

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that. Some cars have this warmth and charisma that others dont. Thats what I consider soul. Your Brougham for example is a car with a lot of soul, charisma and class. A Honda Civic, by comparison is a appliance. It's a perfectly fine commuter car, but its got a lack of soul and its very monotonus and boring.