: Goodbye Z06, Hello CTS-V

diverdan
02-10-06, 09:22 PM
I go tomorrow to trade my '02 Quicksilver Z06 for a Black '05 CTS-V. Next up: Goodbye Pulse Red '04 GTO! It's a shame, but I'm looking at a relo to San Francisco where the 1/4 the house costs 5 times as much. I hope the CTS-V will mostly match the fun quotient of the Z & GTO and provide more practicality than either.

Coming from Corvette Forum, I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of participation and information available here. I hadn't realized the CTS-V had as many enthusiasts (albeit a few frustrated ones as well). As I learn the car, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions, and mabye a few original ones as well.

John

MacOSR
02-10-06, 09:27 PM
Welcome. Even though some of us get frustrated sometimes it is a love-hate relationship with our cars ;)

Davesvee
02-10-06, 09:29 PM
nice color selection!

heavymetals
02-10-06, 09:49 PM
You are gonna hate driving the V in San Francisco.

The hills and the placement of the parking brake sucks for that kind of terrain.

By the way welcome, YOUR DOOMED!

Gordy Petrovski
02-10-06, 09:49 PM
Congrats, U are going to LOVE the V :cheers:

GOTTSPD
02-10-06, 09:50 PM
Cool... good choice with the car and color... you bought the fastest V color. I LOVE my V. Its a great and incredibly convenient car.

ccclarke
02-10-06, 10:08 PM
The roads East, South, and North of the Bay area among the finest you'll find anywhere for scenery, curves and just plain fun driving. The Napa valley in the off-season is a great weekend destination. Route 1 up or down the coast is gorgeous. Freeway rush-hour traffic is hell however, and will quickly make you wish for an automatic. It's a great place for "recreational" driving however, and I think you'll love it.

kjr39
02-10-06, 10:21 PM
nice color selection!

:yeah:

riverrat
02-10-06, 11:09 PM
I agree with heavymetals you will miss your hand brake, but welcome from one of the many Z06/CTS-V members on this forum. Search the sold my Z for a V posts and you'll see you are not alone!

:welcome:

NOCTS-V
02-11-06, 07:47 AM
Welcome aboard. I too sold my 2002 black on black Z06 and 2004 Avalache to reduce to just one car. Love the V, alot of the same qualities of the Z with a whole lot more useability.

Merle Corey
02-11-06, 03:04 PM
The roads East, South, and North of the Bay area among the finest you'll find anywhere for scenery, curves and just plain fun driving. The Napa valley in the off-season is a great weekend destination. Route 1 up or down the coast is gorgeous. Freeway rush-hour traffic is hell however, and will quickly make you wish for an automatic. It's a great place for "recreational" driving however, and I think you'll love it.

I can vouch for the Napa Valley/Sonoma/Suisun areas...
Hwy 1 North or South (at the right time of day and using choice coastal mountain range passes).

:worship: :thumbsup: :highfive:

natural gas
02-11-06, 08:54 PM
I'm thinking the same way. Selling my 04Z and getting into a V for a more practical and fun ride at the same time.

rand49er
02-11-06, 09:46 PM
... the placement of the parking brake sucks ... By the way welcome, YOUR DOOMED!:yeah:

And, get a new shifter, too. In any case, however, you will enjoy the car immensely.:thumbsup:

ace996
02-11-06, 10:34 PM
All your torque belong to me!!!
Teh V is fast3r...Pwns All!!!
-ace

VELOSE
02-12-06, 01:11 AM
A Z06 for me would be ideal if I was to do it now. Owning three vehicles, one could be a Z instead of the V. The Z would be great for the 1-2 times a year I go to a road course/track day. However, since I don't "race" the V gets me on the track, hauls the family around when I invite them, and elegantly takes me places with co-workers for lunch meetings. Good choice on the V.

However, Frisco is a tough place to have the V in. Parking is tight and the hills blow. I wouldn't doubt you being in a bicycle after awhile or, getting a Prius to cruise around town in. :D

Luna.
02-12-06, 02:20 PM
Perhaps I'm missing something, but what's the big deal about not having a hand-brake in San Francisco vs anywhere else? Just shut the car off before setting the brake (or take it out of gear, but I would suggest leaving it in gear in San Fran). What am I missing?

Now, this does NOT mean that I wouldn't prefer a hand-brake, but I guess I'm confused why it's so much more challenging in San Fran vs., say Los Angeles. Hills or no hills, one still must do what is mentioned above...

aburd
02-12-06, 04:51 PM
sold my 01 qs z and never looked back.

ab

Dreamin
02-12-06, 05:23 PM
Now, this does NOT mean that I wouldn't prefer a hand-brake, but I guess I'm confused why it's so much more challenging in San Fran vs., say Los Angeles. Hills or no hills, one still must do what is mentioned above...

Cuz the posers you dont *really* know how to drive a stick use the hand-brake to get going from a stop on a steep hill (and not roll back)...

Now there are some wicked steep hills in SF, but your left foot learns very quickly exactly where the clutch engages.

Two days driving around in SF and you'll be fine diverdan (if you were worried)

02-12-06, 05:39 PM
Cuz the posers you dont *really* know how to drive a stick use the hand-brake to get going from a stop on a steep hill (and not roll back)...

:histeric:

It would be tough to name any musclecars of the 60's and early 70's that did come with a handbrake, yet somehow people bought them with 4 speeds and somehow they drove them, even on hills...

NIK
02-13-06, 10:15 AM
:histeric:

It would be tough to name any musclecars of the 60's and early 70's that did come with a handbrake, yet somehow people bought them with 4 speeds and somehow they drove them, even on hills...

Exactly! My '67 and '70 GTO were 4 speed manuals, as was my '72 Mustang. No hand brake and we got along just fine. To me, the only gripe about the foot brake is that the brake release could sometimes get confused with the hood release due to its placement. But after a while even that's a non-issue.

V-rooooom
02-13-06, 10:28 AM
I can't believe any man who needs to use a handbrake on a hill would actually admit it publically. :bigroll:

I'm sure it was in reference to keeping the car from rolling down a hill after parking it and getting out. That has to be it. Of course, turning the tire towards the curb is always an option if the parking brake is too cumbersome to engage.

V-SATX
02-13-06, 10:36 AM
Great choice! :welcome:

diverdan
02-13-06, 11:37 AM
Well, it's a done deal. I felt a little seperation anxiety when I left my Z at the dealership. I will be buying another Z06 (or at least a Z-51 C6) one day. The V will get me through until then. I've got to get a CAGS on it Pronto! I had them on my Z and GTO and forgot what it was like to have the transmission try to decide for you. I plan to keep it basically stock, however (we'll see how long that lasts).
The dealer took it on themselves to take the runflats off and put new regular tires on. I had to remind them to provide me with a spare and jack. They are getting me an 18" stock wheel and tire and have already given me the jack. I thought this was langiappe since I was planning to do it myself, anyway.
Otherwise, I'm going to upgrade the Onstar to the new system so that I can link it to a Verison phone and replace the XM receiver with a Sirius one just as soon as they are available.

As far as the Sf area, I'm looking at the Sausalito / Mill Valley area, though I might end up living in a refridgerator box, after looking at the housing prices. Significantly different that the Gulf Coast!

John

V-SATX
02-13-06, 12:55 PM
John,

A must have link http://www.stealthv.com/cagselim.htm

Keep us posted on the radio issue.

diverdan
02-13-06, 01:31 PM
Does the Stealth CAGS eliminator do something additional to justify a $50 price tag? I was planning to get one for a corvette for about $20. It's the same transmission (T-56), or is there something I'm missing?

V-SATX
02-13-06, 01:42 PM
I am not sure if the Vett CAGS will work. However, this eliminator works perfect and takes 2 minutes to install.

ctsvett
02-13-06, 02:05 PM
vette CAGS wont work as it is a different plug...

The !CAGS is great because even my tech (at the dealer) didnt know that the !CAGS was installed (with tranny removed too!) vs my previous duct tape method...

Reed

crowan
02-13-06, 05:06 PM

Now there are some wicked steep hills in SF, but your left foot learns very quickly exactly where the clutch engages.

Two days driving around in SF and you'll be fine diverdan (if you were worried)

That's why the hand brake is called the "p**sy stick!" :canttalk:

Sold my machine silver '04 Z06 for the V. I miss the Z, but not enough to get out of the V. The V gives me 90% of the performance and 150% of the comfort of the Z. Plus, I don't see one every day.

CR

Aperformance
02-13-06, 06:23 PM
If we all only had the $$$ to have em both:thumbsup:

Dreamin
02-13-06, 07:36 PM
As far as the Sf area, I'm looking at the Sausalito / Mill Valley area, though I might end up living in a refridgerator box, after looking at the housing prices.

...and that's the most expensive real estate in the entire SF Area... good look with your $1.8M refrigerator. :banghead: