: Our Prissy is dead...

Lord Cadillac
02-10-06, 07:46 PM
So, my Aunt gave my Wife and I a plant on Sunday.. It was a very nice jesture - and I'm sure she could have never imagined the implications of giving us this plant..

When we got home on Sunday night, we left the plant on the kitchen table while we unloaded other packages.. A moment later, I noticed my 9 month old kitten/cat (named Prissy - short for Priscilla) eating the leaves. I gave her a little smack on the butt and she ran off...

The next morning, shortly after she woke up, she threw-up.. Over the next several days, she started acting very differently - being unsociable, shedding a bit more than usual, etcetera. This cat would follow my Wife everywhere. If my Wife went up a ladder, she's be climbing up after her. But that had changed..

Early last night when she wouldn't "play" (she'd fetch a ball and bring it right back to you so you could throw it again. We'd wake up with her toys next to us every morning as she was up and ready to play first thing.) - we figured it was just her becoming a "cat" and losing her kitten-like playfull personality.

Then she started throwing-up again. This time, I saw foam come out of her mouth. That had me looking online for what it could be.. One of the things that caught my eye were - renal failure... So we jumped in the car at about 12:30am and brought her to the 24 hour emergency vet. The vet thought something may have been caught in her stomach (Prissy used to eat everything - string, especially). They did x-rays and didn't find anything. So, maybe it was just gas - as her stomach was very sensitive. They hooked her up to an IV and we went home without her.

While talking, my Wife and I went over what had happened and remembered she'd thrown-up something green and leafy that Monday morning. That made my Wife take a look at the plant we'd received. A Hybrid Lilly. When we searched online, we found it was poisonous to house pets...

Why isn't there a skull and cross bones on plants like this?!

So we informed the vet of what we'd found and she started running different tests.. An hour or so later, the vet called to tell me Prissy's kidneys had shut down completey. I had a few options like kidney transplant ($10k-$15k) but that's just impossible - and there's a possibility her body would not accept the new kidney(s) anyway. Dialisys is another option - but there's only a ten percent chance she'd recover either way...

So now I'm on my way to go give her her favorite toy and see her on her way... :annoyed:

mccombie_5
02-10-06, 08:25 PM
Damn. Sorry to hear that Sal.

They become a little more than just pets, theyre part of the family, and when they go, its equally as sad.

Sandy
02-10-06, 08:28 PM
Oh God, that is so sad. I am truly so sorry for you.
Get another cat right away, or you'll pine and blame
yourselves. A new kitty will take your minds off
of Prissy.

mccombie_5
02-10-06, 08:39 PM
Yeah I think Sandy is right, if you get another cat soon, it will help take the pain away a little.

Worked for me with the dog.

bobkat
02-10-06, 08:43 PM
That's very sad... my wife and I send our sincere condolences

Eric Kahn
02-10-06, 08:57 PM
I want to offer my condolences for your loss, I have 2 cats and have lost pets in thepast and it hurts

HotRodSaint
02-10-06, 09:34 PM
My cat was eaten by Coyotes. :mad:

Kev
02-10-06, 09:36 PM
Sorry Sal. I know how attached we get to pets. It can almost be like loosing a child.

axnguyen
02-10-06, 10:02 PM
Aww..the poor thing :(

Sorry to hear about your loss. They really should be putting a warning on plants, I mean, this can't be the first time it's happened!

Brett
02-10-06, 10:25 PM
jeez, i thought you were gonna tell a story about killing a plant....sorry man

CIWS
02-10-06, 10:39 PM
Truly sorry to hear that Sal. :(

Lord Cadillac
02-10-06, 11:13 PM
Thanks, all.. We have another cat - about a year and a half old - Peppino! Or Peppy for short.. So we're not catless.. We live in a condo so you can't have dogs - but cats have really grown on us since.. Somehow or another, we pick cats that Aren't overly independant.. They like to be around us at all times.. Interesting...

Well, thanks again. I wanted to get that off my chest because I was pissed about it.. To lose a pet in such a stupid way is very annoying...

Sandy
02-10-06, 11:14 PM
YES, i AGREE ON THE WARNING!!

Where are the politicaly correct Cats?

WARNING:
Dogs & Cats may be attracted to plants
Keep out of their reach. If consumed
this plant could be posionous !!

That's all they need.

FSU_Noles
02-10-06, 11:19 PM
Sorry about your kitten, that sucks.

RIP Prissy....hope your other cat doesn't miss the companion too much.
:cat:

EcSTSatic
02-10-06, 11:47 PM
Sorry about your loss. Our cat died suddenly a few weeks ago. We think it was his heart.

Your vet should have a list of plant that are poisoness to pets. Ask for it.

Elvis
02-11-06, 12:36 AM
That's a shame, Sal. I know how hard it is. Don't blame yourselves, you couldn't have possibly known.

I agree, get another cat. Peppino was probably attached to Prissy and might get lonely too.

Cheer up. You're a good daddy.

DopeStar 156
02-11-06, 01:08 AM
:crying: I like cats!!!

JC316
02-11-06, 01:33 AM
Damn, so sorry to hear. I have four cats, so I know how you feel. I have lost quite a few to the road I live on and my old dog racking up the notches on his dog house. Spider plants are also very poisionous to cats too.

gary88
02-11-06, 01:59 AM
I'm sorry to hear about that, loosing a pet is tough. We have a 16 year old tabby that's on his final stretch. He's had a real good life and become part of the family, gonna be hard to see him go.

LittleB
02-11-06, 02:07 AM
Oh my goodness that is horrible! I am so sorry!! You are right, a plant like that should have some sort of warning label on it....that is so sad :(

DopeStar 156
02-11-06, 02:27 AM
That's why the only living things I allow my cat to eat are things that can scream...

eldorado99
02-11-06, 02:35 AM
Thanks, all.. We have another cat - about a year and a half old - Peppino! Or Peppy for short.. So we're not catless.. We live in a condo so you can't have dogs - but cats have really grown on us since.. Somehow or another, we pick cats that Aren't overly independant.. They like to be around us at all times.. Interesting...

Well, thanks again. I wanted to get that off my chest because I was pissed about it.. To lose a pet in such a stupid way is very annoying...

Sorry to hear about your cat... Ours just came back after 2 weeks missing and his tail had to be amputated :mad:.

Just out of curiousity (I realize your Italian background) but where did you get the name Peppino from?

DopeStar 156
02-11-06, 03:47 AM
Peppino the mouse!!! It's a song!!!

eldorado99
02-11-06, 04:13 AM
Peppino the mouse!!! It's a song!!!
Yeah Thats what I thought, Peppino Suricello by Aurelio Fierro. I love that guy's music! I thought no one else knew of him.

DopeStar 156
02-11-06, 10:24 AM
Haha dude, my parents have some CD we bought in the Bronx with all that music on it. I've heard it several times.

davesdeville
02-11-06, 11:31 AM
That's very sad. My cat died last year, I believe he was bitten by a damn black widow. Black widows come with their own warnings though.

urbanski
02-11-06, 02:12 PM
sry :(

Stoneage_Caddy
02-11-06, 03:33 PM
well sal , perhaps we should write the sierra club , or whatever that group is that takes care of critters ...maybe it was peta ...

those folks should quit picketing the cadillac assembly plants and do something more productive with there time , like lobbying for plant warning labels .....

anyway , my condolances dude ...i had a cat once ...mom sold it to a korean lady when i was at school one day ....

DopeStar 156
02-11-06, 05:11 PM
those folks should quit picketing the cadillac assembly plants and do something more productive with there time , like lobbying for plant warning labels ....
They do that? Over what the leather? Jesus I would beat the piss outta anyone who dumped blood on one coming out of the plant. My aunt had a radical like that ruin a fur coat of hers and my grandfather knocked the little treehuggin' pissant the hell out. He made him shell out the money for the coat, it was great.....

FSU_Noles
02-11-06, 05:43 PM
mom sold it to a korean lady when i was at school one day ....

.... that sounds ominous for poor kitty...
:shocked2:

Stoneage_Caddy
02-11-06, 06:04 PM
.... that sounds ominous for poor kitty...
:shocked2:

mom never liked the cat ... so i guess thats why she always smiles when the subject comes up ....12 years later .....

it would have been one thing to say "i sold your cat" when i got home ...but to let me look for it for 3 hours , then when i come in upset bring my dad in and tell me that it was sold to a korean lady , show me the money , and laugh at the whole mess ....

never forgiven her for it .....and if i didnt like her dog so damn much ....:histeric:

urbanski
02-11-06, 06:40 PM
yo sal
get a Savannah
http://www.savannahcat.com/

they're bred with the african serval.
When I get mine I'm using this breeder
http://www.savannahcatbreed.com/

read the testimonials there and tell me what an AWESOME pet they are. I can't wait.

CVP33
02-11-06, 06:46 PM
We got our cat from the pound. Best $25 bucks we ever spent.

urbanski
02-11-06, 07:35 PM
We got our cat from the pound. Best $25 bucks we ever spent.
yep, all 4 kitties we've ever had are rescued from the pound.
but a savannah is next.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-11-06, 07:50 PM
Wow Sal I missed this, that really sucks about your cat! My condolances to you and your wife! What kind of cat was it? I had my cat die when I was 8, and that cat was 12, but we had a new kitten then, and I think the stress that the kitten put on the older cat may have put too much stress on it, plus it was diabetic. And very, very large. But now that kitten we bought in 1995, is 10 years old and is still in good health.

And i've always preferred cats to dogs.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-11-06, 08:04 PM
that savannah thing is badass ....

but i was converted to dogs a few years ago ....im looking at yellow labs and dacshounds ....

Boombotz
02-11-06, 08:13 PM
that savannah thing is badass ....

but i was converted to dogs a few years ago ....im looking at yellow labs and dacshounds ....

Stoney it is a proven fact that chicks dig guys with cats. It shows they are more affectionate.

Night Wolf
02-11-06, 08:13 PM
:(

Stoneage_Caddy
02-11-06, 08:23 PM
Stoney it is a proven fact that chicks dig guys with cats. It shows they are more affectionate.

you kidding me ? i cant even get ***** at the pound :alchi:

they saw what happend to my last cat when mother got ahold of it

danbuc
02-11-06, 08:31 PM
Oh man....I'm really sorry to hear about this Sal. I know how it feels to loose a pet. I've got five cats back home. About a year ago, one of my cat's (Biscuit was her name) had to be put to sleep because of terminal cancer. Needless to say I myself, and my step father were very sad, but my mother was devistated. She was always very attached to the cats, and it just broke her heart to see Biscuit go. After that, we were left with four cat's until about three months ago. My mom said she wanted another cat, so I told her to go for it, and she came home with a little grey kitten we now call Batman (don't ask). Anyway, she's always been very protective of them, and is careful abotu what plants she allows in the house.

Many years ago as a little kid, I had a small kitten named Elvis who was only a few months old, when he died. He was hit by a car, but managed to make it all the way back just about to the front steps before he expired. He was a fighter.

I really hate to hear stuff like this. Unfortunately (and it's a very morbid way of thinking) the care required to save our pets this day in age, is in most cases, not a viable option because of the vast sums of money required to take advantage of that care. It sucks too, cause you just wanna see your pet make it through alright, and live a long, healthy life. It's just doesn't turn out like you plan sometimes though. Anyway...good luck Sal. Hopefully, you can get another kitten to play with.....and by all means, take that plant outback and BURN IT INTO THE GROUND!

SilverFleetwood85
02-12-06, 02:35 AM
Sorry to hear about your cat. I had to put my cat to sleep last august due to cancer.

RobertCTS
02-12-06, 10:27 AM
My black Sharpei, Jack, died an ugly death. He slipped off our side steps with a teather leash and hung himself. I also have a 12 year old black cat that lives outdoors. That's pretty old for an outdoor cat. She still brings me gifts to the door like mice with no heads. She must only like the heads and gives me the rest.:cat: