: rotate NON-run flat tires:diagon or f to back??

mlg
02-10-06, 01:34 PM
have so3 non run flats, time to rotate . i know manual says diagonal, but was for run flats that came on car. suggestions.. thanx

verbs
02-10-06, 01:39 PM
I don't even think the manual was right when it said diagonal. I think the runflats can only be rotated front to back (not diagonal) because of the tread pattern. Whether or not you could rotate them diagonally is if your tires have symmetrical tread.

thebigjimsho
02-10-06, 01:48 PM
It's easy to get confused on this. There is a difference between asymmetrical tires and directional tires.

Asymmetrical means that the tread blocks are not uniform across the entire tread. Our F1s are asymmetrical. They CAN be rotated diagonally if they aren't also directional. They can rotate in either direction without issues.

Directional tires are ones that are meant to be driven in one direction. If you try to rotate them diagonally, when they switch from left to right, they end up rotating backwards. S03s and GSD3s are both directional tires. These CANNOT be rotated diagonally. In these cases, it's front to back only.

If some of you are going for wider wheels and tires in the back, directionals are gonna suck because you can NEVER rotate any of them. Unless you like 275s on the front.

BTW, being an RFT has NO bearing on how to rotate. It's all tread pattern.

Kadonny
02-10-06, 02:04 PM
It's easy to get confused on this. There is a difference between asymmetrical tires and directional tires.

Asymmetrical means that the tread blocks are not uniform across the entire tread. Our F1s are asymmetrical. They CAN be rotated diagonally if they aren't also directional. They can rotate in either direction without issues.

Directional tires are ones that are meant to be driven in one direction. If you try to rotate them diagonally, when they switch from left to right, they end up rotating backwards. S03s and GSD3s are both directional tires. These CANNOT be rotated diagonally. In these cases, it's front to back only.

If some of you are going for wider wheels and tires in the back, directionals are gonna suck because you can NEVER rotate any of them. Unless you like 275s on the front.

BTW, being an RFT has NO bearing on how to rotate. It's all tread pattern.

Correct. And look at the tire. All directional tires have it clearly printed on each tire that it can rotate (turn) only one way. They usually have an arrow that points which way the tire needs to turn.

CIWS
02-10-06, 02:59 PM
Just an FYI - I took the Cadi to the dealership yesterday (Sewell, Dallas) and had the F1s rotated (along with a couple of other things) They did a diagonal, left front to right rear and right front to left rear. I marked the tires to make sure a rotation took place and how it was done.

TampaV
02-10-06, 05:30 PM
Make sure they did a re-set of the TPS monitors. I had my tires rotated at the dealer and then tried to add some pressure to a front tire, but it showed up as higher pressure in the rear tire. I had to take it back for them to re-learn the TPS positions.

CIWS
02-10-06, 05:32 PM
Yeah I had told them to do it, and it shows that it was done, HOWEVER I won't know for sure unless I test it myself :)