: What rpm is the best for blasting off on a 1/4 mile drag strip

spdracer77
02-10-06, 09:34 AM
How you doing everyone? I've been a CTS-V owner for about 6 month now. I have a 2004 CTS-V with magnaflow exhaust, computer program and morepreformance CAI. I'm thinking about taking the car to the track this weekend. I want to try to get the best e/t possible. I want to know what's the best way to launch the car of the line.

02-10-06, 11:02 AM
The tow truck should probably engage the clutch at about 1000 rpm (lower if diesel) as they tow you from the strip after your rear diff explodes.

:eek:

stkshkr
02-10-06, 11:39 AM
Start low, say 2000 RPM, you'll have to ride the clutch on the launch. You can't "pop the clutch" or you'll HOP like crazy and probably grenade the rear diff. Don't "speed shift" meaning, keeping your foot to the floor while shifting, but shift quickly. Work up from there to whatever your comfort level ($$$$$$) is. Good Luck. If you don't have AAA, get it.

thebigjimsho
02-10-06, 12:39 PM
For as ridiculous as the above 2 posters may sound, heed their advice.

AAA is essential.

LV_V
02-10-06, 01:12 PM
Yes, sad but true.

CRZY747
02-10-06, 01:17 PM
0 rpms, get a new Madman or Aussie rearend, and launch at whatever rpm you want to.

The smile on your face once you are able to actually see the true potential of this car is PRICELESS.

ak1usa
02-10-06, 01:55 PM
:crowded: :hmm:

DansCTSV
02-10-06, 02:02 PM
I usually launch at about 3000 rpms and slip the clutch out slowly. I have made over 20 runs at the track and only blown one half shaft. :banghead:

Take the AAA advice, it saved me a very expensive tow home.

Go here to see the videos at the track. http://home.comcast.net/~dansctsv/

They are also on the faq site.

Good luck and let us know how you do. We still have two more months of hibernation before the track opens up here. Can't wait. Although the weather the last couple of days was good enough that I actually got to drive the V. Too bad we are expecting a foot of snow this weekend. :crying2:

austin
02-10-06, 04:34 PM
>I have made over 20 runs at the track and only blown one half shaft.

If you don;t already know this..... 2004 and 2005 "V's" have smaller 1.25" diameter halfshafts. The 2006 "V's" now have a upgraded larger 1.50" diameter halfshafts and can be purchased as a direct bolt in from your GM parts counter..... Just tell tell them you have a 2006..... Its been reported to be at about $1,000.00 for the pair.

FYI, I have launched my 2004 at about 2,500-3,300 on numerous occasions and put down plenty of rubber from 1st to 2nd gear shift..... But, i have installed the SPECTRA bushings, and did not hop during any of these runs. Once in a while i will get a few baby hops if the tires are not warmed up. I keep a cold 35psi all around, and let it heat up from their. So far, so good.

DansCTSV
02-10-06, 05:42 PM
I do know about the 2006 half shafts but I am pretty sure the CV joint is what actually broke. So I am not sure if the new half shafts will help or not. Regardless, I am going to invest in on of the new aftermarket rears once they are available so that problem will be solved. Also, I do run drag radials at the track and have the specter bushings. I hardly get any wheel hop in my V.

Also depending on the track, traction can be much much better than you will get on the street. That and the drag radials will put a lot more stress on the rear end parts.

04CTSVFLA
02-10-06, 06:14 PM
do you mean we can get the 06 halfshafts under warranty?

austin
02-10-06, 06:38 PM
>do you mean we can get the 06 halfshafts under warranty?

"NO", I wish!! What broke will get replaced under warranty with what was their before. You have to pay $$$$$$$ for them on your own through GM parts, and then more $$$$$$$ to have them installed on your own. I'm just letting you know that they do exist. :)

CVP33
02-10-06, 07:17 PM
Here's my advice. 2,500 rpm's and feather the clutch. Make your 3 runs, take home your time slip and get it out of your system. A 1/4 mile track is a waste of this car's talents.

Secondly, don't ever mention that your PCM was "tuned" and remove all performance add-ons before every service visit.

azombie
02-10-06, 07:33 PM
don't be a wuss just drop it at 6500

wildwhl
02-11-06, 12:02 AM
2500-3000 rpms and feather the clutch. Mild speed shift but no POWER SHIFTING (speed shift = reduce throttle, clutch, and fast shift - powershift = keep it floored and slam the gears). Don't pop the clutch.

AAA for sure. Make 3 runs. Frame your slips. Get it out of your system and go on to something more realistic for the V like a road course.

WW

kjr39
02-11-06, 12:12 AM
Can someone explain to the kjr why people still want to insist in trying to make the V into a 1/4 miler?

Haven't we been down that road before?!

:horse:

Dennisscars
02-11-06, 12:34 AM
My suggestion is to let the clutch out at the green flag and heel/toe into each corner, go like hell between turns....repeat... till they wave that damn checkered flag at you forcing you off the track...

shiat eating grin included in every lap.

http://www.hallettracing.net/images/halletthomeimage.jpg

shaming wild into going to Sears pt in April.....

verbs
02-11-06, 12:46 AM
Can someone explain to the kjr why people still want to insist in trying to make the V into a 1/4 miler?

Haven't we been down that road before?!

:horse:We just want to be like all the other cars in our class that can run a 1/4 mile pass without falling apart. :banghead:

wildwhl
02-11-06, 01:43 AM
You're killing me Dennis...maybe I can pick up that honey in person ;)

Dennisscars
02-11-06, 11:58 AM
We just want to be like all the other cars in our class that can run a 1/4 mile pass without falling apart. :banghead:

Makes you wonder why :hmm: GM runs this car on a round track (M3, M5, Porch too ) instead of a straight one.. and does some fine arse kickin' too if I might add. Makes more sense to me to run where this car prefers to run (speaking from experience).. but hey, takes all kinds of cars to fill the freeway..

Somehow I doubt we'll see any commericials of this car sloshing through the winter snow scene either...:thepan:

I think they are running a hopped up colbalt on the 1/4...

Dennisscars
02-11-06, 12:01 PM
You're killing me Dennis...maybe I can pick up that honey in person ;)

Come on over, working on camera on front air dam this morning...

Buttonwillow Feb 25th...
Buttonwillow Feb 25th... CW better for high HP cars, time for smoked rice..

spdracer77
02-18-06, 02:12 PM
Thanks for your opinion everyone. I think I'll just build me a 69 camaro for the drag strip. The CTS-V is for the real roads, got fifth gear to 159 MPH.:thumbsup:

Geno
02-18-06, 05:23 PM
Never mind...late to the party as usual.:bigroll:

spdracer77
02-18-06, 10:24 PM
Never mind...late to the party as usual.:bigroll:

.I've been very busy at my business and moving into my new home. I've been without a computer for about 2 weeks. I had move from Miami , FL to Naples FL. You never notice how much junk you have until you move. Moving is not easy.