: taxes/legal question

OffThaHorseCEO
02-10-06, 09:51 AM
so the law says w-2's are supposed to be mailed out by the 31st of january right? well, im going to assume they are supposed to be postmarked by the 31'st of january.

so what are the penalty's if they arent

or wat does a company open itself up to if they dont get em out on time?

also, wat kind of documentation is a company required to keep to verify actual mailing date of this important tax documentation?

the reason i ask is because i work part time for tommy hilfiger, they mail all their stuff from new jersey

i moved a while back and forgot to change my address, with the post office,bank,work, almost everywhere. well i figured thats why i hadnt gotten mine, turns out, noone from tommy hilfiger had gotten theirs either.

i spoke with the manager last night about it and she said "well supposedly there were so many people not gettin the 'original' mailing that they remailed em, but i dont believe that" and she said that she finally got hers last yesterday (02/09/06) and it was postmarked feb 7th

JimHare
02-10-06, 10:03 AM
I believe an employer must POSTMARK W2s by Jan 31st - however, there's no word on when they must be DELIVERED...

I am not sure what the penalties meted out by the IRS amount to, but they could be quite severe, given this agency's past history. Have you checked with your local IRS office?

Elvis
02-10-06, 10:32 AM
I hope the penalties are severe. My wife is still waiting for the W-2 from her previous employer. She's going to report them.

Cool avatar, Jim! :thumbsup:

JimHare
02-10-06, 10:35 AM
My heroes.. lol

OffThaHorseCEO
02-10-06, 10:41 AM
I believe an employer must POSTMARK W2s by Jan 31st - however, there's no word on when they must be DELIVERED...

I am not sure what the penalties meted out by the IRS amount to, but they could be quite severe, given this agency's past history. Have you checked with your local IRS office?

this agency's past history?

please fill me in

JimHare
02-10-06, 04:01 PM
this agency's past history?

please fill me in

Well, I don't have any specifics right in front of me, but the IRS employed some very heavy handed tactics during the last few decades. They MAY have gotten a little better recently, but they are well known for being the most 'aggressive' Federal agency when it comes to claiming their own...

1) Numerous examples of seizure of property BEFORE tax liability was legally established. There are dozens of examples of automobiles, boats and other property being seized from people without due process.

2) Numerous examples of, shall we say, 'dubious' characterizations by IRS employees declaiming their actual identity, in order to 'sting' citizens in to admitting unreported tax liability.

3) The IRS was used as a political tool by various presidents (Nixon is the most obvious, but by far not the only one) to harass their enemies.

There's a lot more, if you care to research it.

One last thought - During the 1920's, the FBI, and several states attorneys general marshalled huges forces in an attempt to arrest, try, convict and imprison Al Capone. None succeeded. But the IRS got him...

OffThaHorseCEO
02-10-06, 04:23 PM
o ok i thought you meant Tommy Hilfiger had had issues with stuff before

yea i kno the IRS is shady and i knew about the whole Capone deal, they got him on tax evasion which is how they ended up gettin a whole bunch of mobsters, they couldnt get em on murder or racketeering alot of the times, so theyd just get em on tax evasion charges