: Geez, another Tire Post

LtStealth
02-09-06, 03:52 PM
Well, after 11k miles, the F-1's are ready to retire, I searched the forum for other opinions (and found some very good info on various tires), but have any of you heard anything good/bad on the Nexen brand? They make a model "N3000" that fits our cars but I've never had any dealings with the brand. Thoughts?

Kadonny
02-09-06, 05:21 PM
Never heard of them. Sorry.

CVP33
02-09-06, 06:47 PM
Well, after 11k miles, the F-1's are ready to retire, I searched the forum for other opinions (and found some very good info on various tires), but have any of you heard anything good/bad on the Nexen brand? They make a model "N3000" that fits our cars but I've never had any dealings with the brand. Thoughts?

These are all over ebay. They usually claim that they're Goodyear's "second label" brand. I'm not buying it. Looking for a great performing tire at an excellent price? I suggest Falkens. Had three sets and enjoyed them all to the cords. The best all around tire when price isn't a factor? GSD3's bar none.

dqw1
02-09-06, 07:18 PM
If you order GS-D3's from TireRack, they're out of stock until early March. Called them today.

lasstss
02-09-06, 09:06 PM
Im running Toyos, good tire, good price.

LtStealth
02-10-06, 08:00 AM
CVP.. I think you're right, this company is definitly not associated with Goodyear. It's a South Korean company trying to get a foothold in th US tire market see http://www.globaltirenews.com/headlines2.html?id=1134502559

With a UTQG rating of 340 AA A at $110.00 a piece, it's worth asking a question or two about the N3000 . The GSD3's or Toyo T-1's are probably the tire I'll go with, but are we paying twice the price for the name?

riverrat
02-10-06, 11:31 AM
I have Kelly Charger HPT's and Kelly is Goodyear's "other" brand. Tread patern very similar to the Goodyear GSD3.www.kellytires.com/kellytires/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Charger+HPT&mrktarea=Performance I know they are V speed rated but I seldom go that fast:rolleyes:

verbs
02-10-06, 02:08 PM
I have Kelly Charger HPT's and Kelly is Goodyear's "other" brand. Tread patern very similar to the Goodyear GSD3.www.kellytires.com/kellytires/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Charger+HPT&mrktarea=Performance (http://www.kellytires.com/kellytires/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Charger+HPT&mrktarea=Performance) I know they are V speed rated but I seldom go that fast:rolleyes:It's more than just top speed; V rated tires tend to be a harder compound that won't handle or brake as well.

riverrat
02-10-06, 04:52 PM
Hell I can't drive anyway and my current winter Pilot Sports aint gripping anything either.:hide:

Florian
02-10-06, 05:17 PM
GSD3's all the way.... you get what you pay for.

F

riverrat
02-11-06, 12:01 AM
I had to check on the speed rating issue and the Goodyear RS-A & RS-A EMT that's on 06 Vs is also a 96V rated tire. So even with my poor driving I beleive the Kelly is a viable option on our cars . And I know the GD-S3 is a 100W rated. I wish there was a comparison Kelly / Goodyear as they share management and I would assume manufacturing. With my poor driving skills it was more a matter of buy three get four deal (@$179ea) that got me to go for the Kellys after all the Pilot Sports on a good deal were $235 each. Of all the posts about tires I have only seen one other owner here with the Kelly Charger tires:suspect:

cts-v ls6
02-11-06, 11:05 AM
Riverrat,

Are the Kelly tires quiet? I have Avons now and they're awful. How is the tread life on the Kellys? Do you have many miles on them?

Jack

riverrat
02-11-06, 11:35 AM
I put the Kellys on in mid November and only have a few hundred miles on them and only have 6000 total on my car. And last week put on winter tires ( Pilot Sport A/S ) and wheels (Miglias). And on top of that I just installed the Hotchkis bars at the same time and corrected a problem I have had with clearance of my Corsa and occasional rattle with the BMR WH kit. Also have BMR pinion support that tends to transfer some road noise. So hell just like my crappy driving I'm not much help with any useful info about the Kellys other than trying to say that they are an option to the popular choices.:helpless: