: Jongbloed rim for V available soon

calicadi
02-09-06, 02:38 AM
Thanks to everyone who participated in the poll (ref: "How does this look?")

Cat is now out of the bag. This is the "top secret" wheel I've been after Jongbloed to build for us. The VP stopped by the house to trial fit the first unit out of the machine shop. It's based on their 305 design with some subtle changes to help make it unique. Itís a two-piece construction with a diameter of 18 in. The outer is machined from a single block and is 1.5 inches deep. The inner is heat treated to T6. Pick your size on the inner. I'm going with a 7.5 in. inner for total of 9.0 on all four corners. You should be able to go to 10 in. total in rear. As these were fresh out of the shop, no opportunity to fit with rubber mounted. A trial fit of TPS looked OK. Stud length looks good, too. On overall looks, I think they look spectacular (IMO of course).:cloud9:

Weight should be around 19.5, depending on the inner section width. Will be available as polished, clear-coated, a "silvered" anodized or black anodized. I'll post more pics as once a finished, mounted set is ready.

The pricing structure will be posted once the Supporting Vendor status is properly arranged. To set expectations regards price, remember these are competition caliber rims. Jongbloed usually offers a club discount structure and I'm pretty sure we'll qualify for that status.

If you're interested post here or PM me. Manufacturing runs will be based on interest. Jongbloed does not advertise heavily as their primary market is professional racing. So other than some Grand Am Vs, we may well constitute the largest market block. We've seen how we can suck a manufacturer dry (Hotchkiss , Eibach). Again, setting expectations. Be ready to order early if interested.

... and yes that's Wolf Henzler's Porsche running on these. The guy who beat us bad at Infineon last year.

Any CTS lurkers out there? They'll build these as 5-luggers for you. too!

heavymetals
02-09-06, 03:03 AM
Looks bitchin:thumbsup:

rgd
02-09-06, 03:23 AM
Looks bitchin:thumbsup:

:yeah:

roadracerx72
02-09-06, 03:24 AM
Those rims look awesome!! If I was a rich man, I would order a set.

V-Sting
02-09-06, 08:25 AM
Curious why we're stopping at 18" diameter. I'd be interested in these, in any event, but more particularly in a 19" or 20."
Also, any idea of cost? Ball park?

urbanski
02-09-06, 09:42 AM
yep, why not 19 and 20
or at least 19

lasstss
02-09-06, 10:21 AM
Just a comment on wheels as I have fooled with a few sets. A 10" wheel is too big for the V. The proper size is a 9.5, no larger in the rear. A 10" wheel puts the tire even with the fenderwell and the thickness of a peice of cardboard near the lower strut. You definetly cant lower the car....unless you want to slice baloney.
I have 10" CCW's and they designed them 'on the line'.. they are just too big.

I just sent out a pair of OEM's to get made to 9.5".. The perfect rear width.
JMO..

TampaV
02-09-06, 11:31 AM
What about center caps? For track purposes they are run without, but for street, we would want center caps.

mlg
02-09-06, 12:50 PM
sweet,, need pics of wheel on/next to a V ,, i bet looks real sweet

SoCadillac
02-09-06, 12:55 PM
Dare I inquire as to a ballpark price structure?

V-rooooom
02-09-06, 03:39 PM
Nice! Kind of resembles a Fikse wheel.

PAW 47
02-09-06, 04:29 PM
Smaller wheels for racing applications, there no need to have 20" rims on a track car. It's nice to see something coming out for our cars that are light and racing quality.

I'm one the CTS(5lug) lurkers it would be nice to have a autocross set for my CTS :) When my Mazda isn't playing nice.

wooderson
02-09-06, 04:42 PM
Smaller diameter = less rotational mass. Lighter too. Are these wheels streetable? I'll take a set. 18x9 all around, powdercoated black. Please!

Kadonny
02-09-06, 05:26 PM
Smaller diameter = less rotational mass. Lighter too. Are these wheels streetable? I'll take a set. 18x9 all around, powdercoated black. Please!

I would think they would be streetable. They sure will be a biotch to keep clean :stirpot:

VELOSE
02-09-06, 06:17 PM
Looking at these wheels, I'm going to estimate between $600 per wheel with no finish and $700 per wheel for polished or powdercoated. That's my hunch.

Those would be ideal for track use. A 18x8.5 in front, and 18x9.5 in rear w/out aggressive offsets to better fit bulky sidewall track tires.*slobbering at the mouth*

Lasstss, you crack me up, "unless you want to slice baloney".:histeric:

Dreamin
02-09-06, 06:20 PM
Very Nice Cali :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Blekk0
02-09-06, 07:59 PM
I'd be interested in a set of 5 lug 18x9, not sure on the finish yet

calicadi
02-09-06, 10:06 PM
I'll forward the questions to my Jongbloed contact and get back ASAP. Wheels are streetable, that one I know.

And confirming those other respondents re: why 18?... less weight, less rotaional mass. Also, more varieties and brands of race rubber in 18 than 19 and 20. Better to combine these with GC coilovers and drop the body than raise the wheels. Achieves the same look, lowers the center of gravity.

05CTS
02-09-06, 10:42 PM
Just a comment on wheels as I have fooled with a few sets. A 10" wheel is too big for the V. The proper size is a 9.5, no larger in the rear. A 10" wheel puts the tire even with the fenderwell and the thickness of a peice of cardboard near the lower strut. You definetly cant lower the car....unless you want to slice baloney.
I have 10" CCW's and they designed them 'on the line'.. they are just too big.

I just sent out a pair of OEM's to get made to 9.5".. The perfect rear width.
JMO..

A guy on the CTS forum put 20x10's on his CTS. He rolled his fenders and dropped the car.

CVP33
02-10-06, 06:53 PM
A guy on the CTS forum put 20x10's on his CTS. He rolled his fenders and dropped the car.

I dropped my car too. Sorry, bad joke.

Dreamin
02-10-06, 08:42 PM
Looking at these wheels, I'm going to estimate between $600 per wheel with no finish and $700 per wheel for polished or powdercoated. That's my hunch.

Jongbloed makes very high-end racing wheels... My guess is >$1000 / per wheel

wooderson
02-10-06, 09:52 PM
Jongbloed makes very high-end racing wheels... My guess is >$1000 / per wheelI would hope not. Just my 2 cents but at that price you could have any custom wheel shop make a high quality forged wheel.

calicadi
02-11-06, 03:08 AM
Here are your answers:

Price is $3850. (Dreamin wins the "Guess the price pool", list price is over $1100 a wheel.) I need to double check that this includes choice of finish choice and inner size.

Yes, they can do something with center caps if you like.

Five lug GM for CTS are available. (It's the 6 lug that made this special.)

They can build 19 and 20 inch, but first runs will be 18. If you're interested in those sizes suggest you email Jongbloed so they'll know there's demand.

If there are any other questions.. keep 'em coming.

PS
I'm sure the price will raise some eyebrows. I hope I didn't falsely set expectations that these would be cheap. You can find more expensive wheels out there. You can find cheaper wheels. Dreamin is correct. Jongbloed makes high-end competition wheels. That's why I contacted them. I doubt OZ or BBS would have taken on this work. In fact I think OZ already turned us down (ironic since they already build the CTS-VR wheel). Bottom line, I'm not going to trust my life to a manufacturer that doesn't have a reputation in racing.

VELOSE
02-12-06, 01:34 AM
I don't know what the benefits are of having a 3 piece wheel but, I figure a 3 piece is better than a 2 piece. My Asanti's are 3 piece and cost me roughly $900 a wheel. Obviously Asanti's are not known for racing. So now I will really have to think or evaluate if I'm willing to pay $1000 a wheel again for a 2 piece 18" racing wheel.

I wonder...how much do CCW wheels differ from these Jongbloed in terms of quality. CCW wheels in 18" run approximately $600 a wheel.

Either way, it's good to know if we wanted to get very serious about racing, we have a Jongbloed option to choose from. :D

calicadi
02-12-06, 07:01 PM
I think a lot of the cost is in R&D to get the weight down while keeping the strength up. The Jongbloeds are hardened to T6. That's as high as they get and from what I understand it's a time and labor intensive process.

To compare and evaluate I guess we'd need to see the weight and strength of each wheel.

And man, I wish we had the coil overs ready to go!

ace996
02-12-06, 10:17 PM
Benefit of multi-piece wheels is that the lips/hoops can be replaced when they are bent/cracked. Its not cheap to replace the lips, but cheaper than buying a new wheel.
They are fantastic, georgous race wheels that are business tools. Too much for me, but that'd be the ticket.
-ace