: 96' fleetwood won't start in the morning

lildavid
02-08-06, 11:17 PM
I know it sounds funny, but for the past 3 weeks, my 1996 cadillac fleetwood brougham won't start in the early mornings, usually when it is cold. The motor cranks strong as if the coil were disconnected. But get this, when I return around noon, or when the temperature has risen to high 70s or low 80s, the car starts right up and runs great. The check engine light does appear for a few minutes then shuts off. The car has done this a couple of times in the afternoon as well. I ran a computer diagnostic test, and i was told it was the "ignition control module". I replaced it, but i still wouldn't start ocassionally. I then changed the coil, but it still does it. The previous owner told me he had to have the complete distibutor overhauled, which I have the reciept for. Anyone ever had this problem or heard of this problem??? Please help.

N0DIH
02-09-06, 01:22 PM
I would be concerned on what the code is set. See if you can run the codes, I think you can press the off/warmer buttons to read them, but I don't remember which pointers you need to read from. (Auto resets back to normal). I think you press outside temp as the "enter" key, and look at the codes stored in 00, 01, 02, 03 and 04. But I would have to consult the book of knowledge at home (aka, the FSM, Factory Shop Manual)

Sounds like a sensor in the Opti may not be working, causing a no start. If the high res signal is missing (you need an oscope to test) it will not start, if the low res is missing, it should start, but run in batch firing mode and set a code. Check your connections, and verify the vacuum hoses are working and connected to it, if moisture is getting in that is a bad thing....