: Coolant supplement clogged T stat

STS 310
02-08-06, 02:57 PM
Got my car back from mechanic who admitted that he did not use the supplement tabs after refilling the cooling system.

I crushed three of the tablets and added to the top hose (I know it says to add to lower hose, but I also heard it didnt matter).

Sitting in traffic I watched my temp rise to 233 and it kept rising until I saw steam coming from the tank.

Took car to my radiator guy and he tells me that the supplement had totally fouled the stat to inoperable.

From what he says, the tablets are supposed to be added whole so that they can disolve slowly.

I am having the entire cooling system flushed, and radiator rodded out.

Tailfin
02-08-06, 03:14 PM
That..........sucks :tongue2:... But good idea so no one repeats it... Keep it cheap.

Ranger
02-11-06, 08:34 AM
Never heard of that before. The only reason to crush them is when putting them in the radiator on a 4.1, 4.5 or 4.9, because the oil cooler line is in the side tank and you cannot fit whole tabs in there.

cart69
02-11-06, 02:18 PM
interesting, so ranger, on the n* just put the 3 tablets into the bottom hose whole and thats it. good to know

Ranger
02-11-06, 06:11 PM
Yup, if they fit, stuff 'em in whole. They will disintegrate very shortly after getting wet.