: Which armrest is better IYO: '93-early '95 or late '95-'96?

caddycruiser
02-08-06, 11:52 AM
Asking for some opinions here. My '95 is an earlier build, so it has the flip open front half with the cup holders and a little compartment in that then--as compared to the later '95s and all '96s that had the solid lid and pop-out holders.

Mine has a few marks on it (which don't really bug me, but...) but I have a line on a nice solid lid later one, and am wondering if it'd be a swap I'd like or not. Anyone who's had both have any comments?

On the later one, does the cupholder thingy just pop out of the front and then there's a big storage compartment under the lid? Which way does the lid open?

N0DIH
02-08-06, 12:43 PM
Is the 95-96 Fleetwood armrest the same as the 97-99 Deville armrest?

ocjmakaveli
02-08-06, 01:48 PM
Is it just me or does the deville have some cheap ass wanna-be leather?

The armrest leather on our 96 deville is cracking.

The seats are okay but the leather looks sub-standard.

I'd stick with the older armrests if I was you I like them more than the devilles if the newer fwb armrests are like the devilles don't do it. The flip out cupholders are easy to break off.

Katshot
02-08-06, 02:04 PM
Asking for some opinions here. My '95 is an earlier build, so it has the flip open front half with the cup holders and a little compartment in that then--as compared to the later '95s and all '96s that had the solid lid and pop-out holders.

Mine has a few marks on it (which don't really bug me, but...) but I have a line on a nice solid lid later one, and am wondering if it'd be a swap I'd like or not. Anyone who's had both have any comments?

On the later one, does the cupholder thingy just pop out of the front and then there's a big storage compartment under the lid? Which way does the lid open?

Yeah, it's a direct swap. And on the later one the cupholder thingy as you called it does just flip out the front and leave the rest of the compartment wide open. And the lid is hinged in the rear. IMO, it's a much better design than the earlier one.

caddycruiser
02-08-06, 02:10 PM
Hmm...I do like the one piece lid and armrest a little more, but I also tend to like flipping out the front halfs on the ones in all of our 2 Fleetwoods and the Roadmaster (same one) and throwing in both a bottle of water, my phone, and sometimes MP3 player.

Anyone with the newer one--would the pop-out holders still hold something like my phone or MP3 player (both pretty small) or are they really open and only suited for supporting bottles/cans?

Oddly enough, I've never seen one of the newer consoles in person, only in pics:rolleyes:

Mine isn't bad, like I said, just marked up a little, and I can get a newer one that's the right color, so that's why I'm wondering. How do you get the one off to swap for another--a screw or something?

Katshot
02-08-06, 02:18 PM
No, not really well suited for anything other than drinks etc.

caddycruiser
02-08-06, 02:32 PM
No, not really well suited for anything other than drinks etc.

That's what I thought. I'll probably just stick with the one I got then, since the "old" one fits my uses a lot better and I'm more than used to it.

caddycruiser
02-08-06, 03:52 PM
Okay...I'm slowing becoming addicted to salvage yard shopping!

Have a beige '96 console/armrest on the way, along with a replacement wood trim piece and door lock button for the driver's door, and a replacement center dash bezel. Gotta love scrap yards in the Fleetwood capitol of the world--Florida!

I couldn't think of anything else I might want/need right now, but I'm sure there will be something...

ocjmakaveli
02-08-06, 06:01 PM
the armrest in the newer fwb is more of a beancounters measure IMHO because if you take into account it would be cheaper to manufacture 2 pieces instead of 3 along with the more moving parts of 3 pieces etc. overall the newer design is more cost effective to produce

caddycruiser
02-08-06, 06:13 PM
the armrest in the newer fwb is more of a beancounters measure IMHO because if you take into account it would be cheaper to manufacture 2 pieces instead of 3 along with the more moving parts of 3 pieces etc. overall the newer design is more cost effective to produce

Probably, but I also have read so many people complaining about the 2 piece one, that maybe that was also a reason for the change...even if it did come a little late, like the mirrors. I really do like the 2-piece lid one, but I also like the idea of one big lid and hideable cupholders...SO, once I have the new one, I plan on doing a bit of a comparison to see which I like more.

I got it for a farely good price (along with the other parts I'm getting from the same place), so whichever one I don't like, I'll just sell. I think mine right now is completely fine, just needs a light cleaning (never even got to touch the interior in the 3 days I did have the car before leaving).

So, once I get the armrest figured out, fix the sunken door lock button (getting the whole trim piece with a button on it), swap the center dash piece (mine has a few broken louvers on the 2 center vents), and then eventually get a different tire/wheel setup, all will be complete...at least for a while.

Oh, and I also just picked up 2 GM "5.7 Liter" emblems new off Ebay, and might use those some place too...maybe. Just because I always liked the older Broughams (and others?) that had something similar on the trunk, specifying what engine they had.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-08-06, 06:41 PM
I've always liked the '93-early '95 Armrests more. My grandpa's Roadmaster had that style, and my Roadie (and deville) has the newer "clamshell" style. The thing with the "clamshell" style is its hard to reach things in the back when you're driving, and the flip out cup holders are kinda flimsy. I broke em once in my Roadmaster. I like the older style because when you open for the cupholders, you also get a neat little storage area.

caddycruiser
02-08-06, 06:49 PM
I've always liked the '93-early '95 Armrests more. My grandpa's Roadmaster had that style, and my Roadie (and deville) has the newer "clamshell" style. The thing with the "clamshell" style is its hard to reach things in the back when you're driving, and the flip out cup holders are kinda flimsy. I broke em once in my Roadmaster. I like the older style because when you open for the cupholders, you also get a neat little storage area.

Same here, but I also am interested in seeing how I like the other one...if I don't, it'll be easy to sell, because a lot of people still want that style.

caddycruiser
02-08-06, 07:03 PM
I think I'm going to end up buying some kind of one of those plastic tray/cupholder things that sit down on the floor anyway, so not having an open spot to toss my phone, etc., shouldn't be much of a problem if I keep the '96 console when I get it.

caddycruiser
02-09-06, 12:27 AM
An odd question for you guys...

-What do you use for trash in the car?

In our '93, my dad actually got this little square/rectangle garbage bucket that fits perfectly on the transmission hump, up against the seat, and we painted it to match, so it actually looks pretty good there. Mom has always just used a bag folded and tucked in between her center console and passenger seat, but since we have benches, we couldn't do that as easily.

So...bags, a basket/box, or nothing for little pieces of trash in the car?

HotRodSaint
02-09-06, 10:01 AM
Nick Nack storage in the Fleetwood is a weakness. The console is a decent size, but digging for change especially after raising the armrest, can be a chore.

But I like the look of the late model armrest. I would like to get a custom replacement billet aluminum cupholder made one day though.

caddycruiser
02-09-06, 10:43 AM
Nick Nack storage in the Fleetwood is a weakness. The console is a decent size, but digging for change especially after raising the armrest, can be a chore.

But I like the look of the late model armrest. I would like to get a custom replacement billet aluminum cupholder made one day though.

Yeah, I basically just need a cupholder or two that will actually decently hold a drink and not let it go flying too easily, and then some spot to throw my phone, MP3 player, and typically my wallet when I go out (weird, I know, but I don't like having it in my pocket).

Right now, I usually roll with a bottle of water in one cup holder spot, my phone in the other, and then the player layed somewhere either beside the phone or in the little tray behind.

That said, I never liked the look of the always flipped open front, but it is easy to use. I'll be interested to see how much or how little I like the later model console...and which one I'll end up selling.

Just how flimsy is the cupholder thing on the newer model?

Katshot
02-09-06, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't call it flimsy. It's just not going to work for what you're currently using yours for.

N0DIH
02-09-06, 01:19 PM
sounds like how I use it. I am in the car 120+ miles/day. Anyone have pictures of each?

Thanks!

Yeah, I basically just need a cupholder or two that will actually decently hold a drink and not let it go flying too easily, and then some spot to throw my phone, MP3 player, and typically my wallet when I go out (weird, I know, but I don't like having it in my pocket).

Right now, I usually roll with a bottle of water in one cup holder spot, my phone in the other, and then the player layed somewhere either beside the phone or in the little tray behind.

That said, I never liked the look of the always flipped open front, but it is easy to use. I'll be interested to see how much or how little I like the later model console...and which one I'll end up selling.

Just how flimsy is the cupholder thing on the newer model?

caddycruiser
02-09-06, 01:57 PM
I wouldn't call it flimsy. It's just not going to work for what you're currently using yours for.

That's fine. I just want to see if I like it or not in person, then I'll get rid of one of them (or just keep them both, in case I ever need a spare). Like I said, I'm probably still going to buy some kind of a little floor console thing, so I can put my phone, etc. on that.

Like I had asked before, what do you guys here use in the way of a trash can/bag for the car? Or just don't bother?

caddycruiser
02-09-06, 02:01 PM
sounds like how I use it. I am in the car 120+ miles/day. Anyone have pictures of each?

Thanks!

Not opened, but here's a semi-decent comparo of the outsides:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Marblehead%2095%20FWB/DSCF0003.jpg
http://carad.ebayimg.com/i12/04/a/06/09/a2/3e_4.JPG

Katshot
02-09-06, 02:08 PM
Like I had asked before, what do you guys here use in the way of a trash can/bag for the car? Or just don't bother?

There IS nothing. It always amazed me that the largest car would have virtually NO storage space in it. The glove box is tiny and the center console "looks" big but once you put a few CDs in it, there's almost no space left. That's why I always liked the flip-up arm rests on the Lincoln Town Car door panels. At least they were good for trash etc.

caddycruiser
02-09-06, 02:19 PM
There IS nothing. It always amazed me that the largest car would have virtually NO storage space in it. The glove box is tiny and the center console "looks" big but once you put a few CDs in it, there's almost no space left. That's why I always liked the flip-up arm rests on the Lincoln Town Car door panels. At least they were good for trash etc.

I know, even though it really isn't something that ever bothered me in the more than 2 years we've had the cars--though the Roadmaster does have a much bigger glovebox and door pockets.

I guess I'll just use one of the openings on whatever little console I pick up, just like I kind of do now, and then empty it when I'm done driving.

caddycruiser
02-09-06, 09:10 PM
Found some pics showing the cup holders on my PC:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/k.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/n.jpg

N0DIH
02-09-06, 11:41 PM
I like the 95-96 better in looks better and is probably more comfortable (none are tall enough for my arms to really be comforatable, as I have a shoulder I dislocated years ago that gives me a lot pain if I don't support it). But I wouldn't trade my 94 console, it is too functional for me as much as I am in the car. My 91 SDV was ok, but a single cup holder that wasn't very deep lacked a lot.

So far, my 1980 Turbo T/A console is best that I have ever had....

theGman
02-10-06, 10:08 PM
I have the newer console in my '95; BTW, you can pull up and remove the cup holder gizmo, giving you a lot more storage space, since that thing takes up a fair amount of space when folded in. I believe there is a similar one in the rear center armrest too.

I have one of those plastic console storage things on the center hump just fwd of the console, and it has 2 good cup holders. I spent an hour customizing it and have mounted a CB onto the top forward end of it. This makes the CB unobtrusive and leaves no holes in the car.

Paul

caddycruiser
02-10-06, 10:12 PM
I have the newer console in my '95; BTW, you can pull up and remove the cup holder gizmo, giving you a lot more storage space, since that thing takes up a fair amount of space when folded in. I believe there is a similar one in the rear center armrest too.

I have one of those plastic console storage things on the center hump just fwd of the console, and it has 2 good cup holders. I spent an hour customizing it and have mounted a CB onto the top forward end of it. This makes the CB unobtrusive and leaves no holes in the car.

Paul

That's pretty much what I'm thinking my setup will be--the newer solid armrest, and some kind of a floor console.

Do you remember where you got your floor console, or was it just something you already had? I know pretty much any department or auto store has a bunch of different ones, so I'll just have to look and pick one up when I'm back home.

theGman
02-11-06, 09:23 PM
i just got one from the local Auto Zone or similar store. I just matched up the color real close. I actually trial fitted a few different styles, since you have to be careful that your ashtray will still open, etc.

I keep mine forward, almost against the dash, so my wife won't knock it when she scoots the seat up when she drives Mr. Moby (my FWBs name....it's a white whale after all). :)

caddycruiser
02-11-06, 09:59 PM
i just got one from the local Auto Zone or similar store. I just matched up the color real close. I actually trial fitted a few different styles, since you have to be careful that your ashtray will still open, etc.

I keep mine forward, almost against the dash, so my wife won't knock it when she scoots the seat up when she drives Mr. Moby (my FWBs name....it's a white whale after all). :)

Probably will do the same here. Actually, my dad picked one up that a co-worker gave him when he sold his truck that it was in, which apparently matches my interior, but I've yet to see it.

theGman
02-12-06, 08:20 PM
It's embarassing that a car as huge as the FW doesn't even have door panel storage.

caddycruiser
02-12-06, 08:27 PM
It's embarassing that a car as huge as the FW doesn't even have door panel storage.

That's true, but it never really bothered me at all. As long as I have a little spot to put my phone & MP3 player, and a cupholder for a bottle of water, I'm good. I try to go with as little stuff as possible, and the lack of storage never even crossed my mind until someone here mentioned it.

RMartin0018
02-14-06, 02:13 PM
Caddycruizer, do you have any links you can provide for Florida junkyard contacts? I have tried on several sites that I found doing Google searches for Caddy parts to find those plastic door handle inserts and the door lock gizmos that I found with no joy... Any help out there???

caddycruiser
02-14-06, 04:01 PM
Caddycruizer, do you have any links you can provide for Florida junkyard contacts? I have tried on several sites that I found doing Google searches for Caddy parts to find those plastic door handle inserts and the door lock gizmos that I found with no joy... Any help out there???

Certainly! The place I found was on Ebay, as they had a few Fleetwood parts listed and then said "Parting out 8 Fleetwoods" in their notes, so I started contacting them.

Here's the Ebay store link:
http://stores.ebay.com/Global-Autos

The place is Global Autos in West Palm Beach, FL and at the current time, I think they still have all 8 '93-96 Fleetwoods.

The main guy who handles all the parts requests and orders is Neal, and his contact info is:

Phone: 561-436-4705
Email: neal@global-autos.com

So far, I've ordered 3 things from him, a center dash bezel, a '96 armrest, and a wood piece with working lock button for the driver's door, and have been very satisfied so far. Done it all through email, but you can get in touch with him and interact about what you want a lot quicker over phone. I didn't pay pennies for the stuff I've got and ordered, but he gives pretty good prices, and has a big selection of stuff to choose from for these cars. Just have the bezel now (perfect), and should have the armrest and door trim piece tomorrow. I'll post pics then.

Good luck!

BCs71
02-15-06, 12:33 PM
I have the earlier 94 console (obviously) and the cup holder portion is quite annoying IMO.
With any form of tilt on your seat, it changes the angle of how flat the console lies, thus positioning and beverage in the cupholders to lean pretty far backwards. It leads to definite spills!

Never used a 95-6 console, so not sure it is any better but my guess is that the change in design would dictate a lesser "spill-factor".

caddycruiser
02-15-06, 02:04 PM
I have the earlier 94 console (obviously) and the cup holder portion is quite annoying IMO.
With any form of tilt on your seat, it changes the angle of how flat the console lies, thus positioning and beverage in the cupholders to lean pretty far backwards. It leads to definite spills!

Never used a 95-6 console, so not sure it is any better but my guess is that the change in design would dictate a lesser "spill-factor".

That's all I'm looking for...a fuller length armrest and cupholders that might actually be able to hold a bottle or can in place without letting it go in orbit with even a moderate stop or corner.

The last experience I had with this issue was pulling out onto the highway just a tad too fast (but I was in the '93, so it wasn't warp speed, mind you), and the 20oz Coke I just bought while I was in K-Mart and didn't full seal when flying out of the cupholder and onto the passenger's seat. Had it spilled on the leather (one reason to love leather) which was easy to wipe up, but then also dumped about 1/2 in. throughout the rest of the open console...

It should be coming today, so I'll have to pay around with it and see how much better or worse the newer one is.

caddycruiser
02-15-06, 03:37 PM
Hmm...just got the parts and everything was MOSTLY as I expected.

The armrest is in great shape, nicer than the one in my car now, and I already like it more than the 2-piece, but the cupholder thing is missing (of course...probably broke a while ago).

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Fleetwood%20Parts/armrest1.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Fleetwood%20Parts/armrest5.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Fleetwood%20Parts/armrest6.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Fleetwood%20Parts/armrest4.jpg

The wood piece with the lock button on it is PERFECT and will be an easy pop-out, pop-in fix to replace my broken door lock button on the driver's door. Has the little speaker and wiring thing on it, and I guess I'll just use it as is, unless I find out the speaker doesn't work.

And as far as the cupholder...:( ...just looks like the actual holder piece came unattached from the piece that's actually attached to the console. Nothing's broke, but the important piece is missing.

I'll get in touch with the guy and try and see, even though they are a salvage yard, if he could get the cupholder assembly unbroken out of another Fleetwood.

caddycruiser
02-15-06, 04:06 PM
Emailed the guy at the salvage place, and am waiting to see if he gets back to me saying he can get the little part out of another Fleetwood in the yard.

theGman
02-15-06, 04:43 PM
They pop out real easy; I was cleaning my console and in the normal cleaning motions the cup holder popped out. Shouldn't be a problem to get another.

caddycruiser
02-15-06, 04:56 PM
They pop out real easy; I was cleaning my console and in the normal cleaning motions the cup holder popped out. Shouldn't be a problem to get another.

Hopefully not. He has 8 of these cars on the lot that he's parting out, and there has to be at least one other one with a still existent cup holder.

I'm still very pleased, especially with how well everything is packed and how nice it all is. Glad to have found this place:thumbsup:

caddycruiser
02-15-06, 06:08 PM
Got a response...he said he was sorry for not noticing the missing cupholder and will check around the lot tomorrow for the piece and get back to me.

Hope he finds one, because that cupholder is one of the main things I like about this armrest...well, that, and it just looks a lot better and has more usable storage inside.

BCs71
02-16-06, 11:59 AM
That armrest looks like the same piece they used in my Caprice.....

My cupholder piece was missing when I bought my Caprice as well.....and it only had 9000 miles on it! I guess they get lost/destroyed easily.

caddycruiser
02-16-06, 12:11 PM
That armrest looks like the same piece they used in my Caprice.....

My cupholder piece was missing when I bought my Caprice as well.....and it only had 9000 miles on it! I guess they get lost/destroyed easily.

That's what it sounds like. Also seems like it may be a "common" part shared with a few other cars, so I might still be able to find one elsewhere if Neal (the salvage yard guy) can't.

caddycruiser
02-25-06, 09:54 AM
My salvage yard guy still hasn't been able to locate the little cupholder holder piece after searching several different Fleetwoods...so they really must snap off or come undone easily.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Fleetwood%20Parts/armrest7.jpg

Any other ideas where to find one? I guess I could start searching for different scrap yards and asking them to look for the little piece, but that could take a while.

caddycruiser
02-25-06, 12:39 PM
Good news...think I just located the part I need, via someone on another board who's in the process of doing a floor console and seat mod in his '96 FWB.

EDIT: Okay, problem solved. Cupholder part on the way!