: Anyone have a convertible?

SpeedyArizona
02-07-06, 11:24 PM
Does anyone here have or know anyone who has a convertible? I'd like to find the pro's and con's of different ones and how they like it. Beautiful weather and I'm trapped inside a pile of rolling metal. I mention this because today I found a 2001 Porsche Boxster in a car trader magazine for only $23,000 and wonder if I could somehow juggle my budget:rant2: .

I know I couldn't get it now, but maybe in a year or two. I guess my wallet doesn't match my common sense.
Now anybody know a good lottery scam:alchi: , haha!

LittleB
02-07-06, 11:49 PM
I had a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder before I got the CTS and it was definitely fun! I didn't put it down as much as I would've liked because I was always afraid the wind was going to mess up my hair :p but when I did put the top down it was awesome to feel the wind and sun on you...very nice. When you are driving you hear more noise in the car, but I always had my music up so it never bothered me. I also put a motion detector/alarm in the car because it would be so easy to break in. Hope this helps...

SpeedyArizona
02-08-06, 12:06 AM
I almost think I need to take a 2nd job to pay for the cars I "plan" (using that term loosely) to buy. Mitsubishi Spyder's are pretty fun cars, they look like a blast to drive!

Elvis
02-08-06, 12:17 AM
I've had two mustang convertibles, I loved the first one, the second one was frustrating at times. Really firm suspension.

We have a Z3 now, and it's a lot of fun. I'd like that car whether it was a convertible or not.

But I'd rather have another Mustang or something bigger and older. Maybe a 330ci? Or maybe a big Bonneville?

My goal in life is to someday have enough garage space and enough vehicles that I could just leave the top down with the boot on, and only drive them on perfectly sunny days.

I say go for it. If you wait until you're older, you're less likely to take the plunge.

Night Wolf
02-08-06, 12:37 AM
One (of the many) reaons I want a Jeep TJ next. Soft top please. Time for me to be young and drive a convertible :).

SpeedyArizona
02-08-06, 12:49 AM
My goal in life is to someday have enough garage space and enough vehicles that I could just leave the top down with the boot on, and only drive them on perfectly sunny days.

You just read my mind! Right now my BMW is in the shop AGAIN and I'm seriously considering just getting rid of it. It's more of a menace than anything. I haven't had it for too terribly long, but it isn't working all that well. I'm not mechanically inclined, but from my understanding something in the engine is broken or cracked. I'm having it repaired, but I might just sell it and cut my losses.

Anyway, I really like this Porsche and think a convertible would be perfect for my lifestyle. After I get back from my trip to LV, I MIGHT sell the BMW and use the money to get this. My Eldorado has been running well, and it's been used as my daily driver lately. I really like this 2002 Red Eldorado ETC, but won't get that if I get a Porsche.

On the other hand, you only live once so you might as well make the best of it. And with that quote, I'm going to splurge and get a new digital camera (which I sorely needed). I don't plan on taking it to Vegas though, I've known enough friends that have had their's stolen.

After I get back, I will post pictures of my place and my cars. You can finally see how SpeedyAZ lives!

SpeedyArizona
02-08-06, 12:51 AM
One (of the many) reaons I want a Jeep TJ next. Soft top please.

I'd also like to have one of those...so who wants to rob a bank with me :D?

JC316
02-08-06, 02:40 AM
I have a 94 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible. Sucker gets great gas milage and is a blast to drive. The 3.0 revvs so fast it's unbelievable and it can out power a 3.8 mustang. I get 30MPG on the highway and 24 in the city with it. The interior is comfortable and roomier than a mustang, it's also much fancier. The biggest problem is how small it is, if you put the lid up, it gets real small real fast. It rattles pretty bad and the noise levels are pretty bad, but who can tell with the top down? Overall it's an awesome little summer car, but it's not good for winter.

peterb
02-08-06, 07:47 AM
I recently bought the Toyota Spyder just because I fancied the option of top-down motoring. It's a great little car - not immensely practical, not all that quick - but it does hold the road well and corners nicely. It gets quite a few admiring looks, too. It cost less than a third of the price of the RS6, but my neighbour thought it looked expensive!

davesdeville
02-08-06, 08:32 AM
Anyway, I really like this Porsche and think a convertible would be perfect for my lifestyle. After I get back from my trip to LV, I MIGHT sell the BMW and use the money to get this. My Eldorado has been running well, and it's been used as my daily driver lately. I really like this 2002 Red Eldorado ETC, but won't get that if I get a Porsche.

Hey if you like the look of em, get the best of both worlds with an Eldo convertable...

I want a convertable being that I'm in NM and get good weather most of the year. But I want a hardtop convertable... Think I'll save my pennies and get an XLR in a "few" years.

gothicaleigh
02-08-06, 09:41 AM
I find those new Solstice/Velite roadsters to be quite attractive and they wouldn't set your bank account back too much (and as an added bonus, will be covered under warranty).

Unless you're looking at one of the premium roadsters with the retractable hardtops, a convertible has only a limited amount of days a year that they can truly be used (the old hardtops are too hard to deal with) and personally I couldn't justify the expense for anything more than something in the price range of the Solstice.

Then again, I live in Michigan. I see you're in Arizona, and a convertible is probably a better investment with your weather down there.

EcSTSatic
02-08-06, 09:52 AM
I love 'em! I've owned a '65 GTO and a '68 Formula Firebird ragtop. I also had a '59 Ford Galaxie with the retractable hardtop. I once rented a Sebring droptop when I went to Seattle. It was chilly, so I had the heater on. :cool:

Most convertables are noisier than regular models with the top up. Hotter too because there is no insulation. It's also easier to break in to them. Usually a knife slit will get you to the door handle. A good alarm may give you some piece of mind.
Since a lot of structural material is taken away from the top, if they are not redesigned properly you will feel body flex. T-Top Camaros and Firebirds were bad about this. Check out the ride.

Destroyer
02-08-06, 10:09 AM
I owned a few, here is a list of the ones I remember:

66 Chrysler Newport
68 Dodge Dart
87 Mustang GT
88 Iroc Z
95 Z28

Loved them all. Other than getting caught in rain, I never drove with the top up. The 95 Z28 was the best of the bunch in terms of isolation with the top up. The 66 Chrysler was fun cause it could hold a lot of people for rides to the beach!.

Sandy
02-08-06, 10:25 AM
I've had a slew of convertible in my life !

1966 Pontiac GTO
1967 BuickSkylark Gran Sport 400
1970 Buick Electra 225 Custom
1990 Mustang GT (Still have)

They all squeek, some rattle, other squeek & rattle with the top up.
Otherwise they are fun and a blast to drive top down.

NOTE:
IF you have a convertible, NEVER but NEVER lock your doors !
If a crook wants "IN" ~ your locked door is no match for his box
cutter !!! One 8" slit in your top and he is "in" your car.

If you leave your doors unlocked, you will not need a roof replacement, and trust me on this....replacements NEVER fit as perfect as factory originals!

Never take a convertible thru a car wash. NEVER ! A hand car wsah is okay, a mechanical amounts to :"car abuse" !!

Put valuables in the trunk, not "in sight" inside the car, and never ever leave
an empty bag or box inside the car!! The thief, unlike you, does NOT know that it's empty - and will cut your roof to get your empty bag/box.

Several insurance companies will NOT pay for a new roof & labor, but only for the value of stolen items.

Never leave spare change visable (as on a console).

Once you learn these things, converttible ownership will be pleasant.
Never use stong cleaning stuff on the roof. Soap & water and a soft brush.
Wash the car by hand frequently to keep the top looking new.
Once she gets grimey & dirty & stained, you'll never get her clean again.
All those "Wonder" cleaning agents promissing to make you top "like new" again are lying and you'll "Wonder" where your $$ went, that's the only "Wonder" of it.

Night Wolf
02-08-06, 12:51 PM
Get a Jeep for the North :) hardtop in the winter, soft top for the summer... easily changed :)

Thats the only thing that bothers me... the ultra lack of security of the Jeep, even with a hard top and full doors that are locked, the Jeep can be gotten into in about 5 minutes without causing any damage to it. Still though, I'll just hope for the best, but its something I really want... and I'll get it :).

FSU_Noles
02-08-06, 01:31 PM
leave the top down with the boot on, and only drive them on perfectly sunny days.

Exactly what I do with the Allante. The hardtop is resting next to the car and the softtop is safely stowed away. I only drive it when there is 0% chance of precip, or if I am just going on a quick run. Sometimes it only gets a trip or two around the block to keep the fluids flowing-in the car.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-08-06, 01:47 PM
Well I dont generally like convertibles, but it's fun to take the top off my friend's 98 Wrangler SE and drive around.

The one convertible I would like to have is a 71-72 Eldorado, or a 75-76 Eldorado.

LittleB
02-08-06, 01:55 PM
I almost think I need to take a 2nd job to pay for the cars I "plan" (using that term loosely) to buy. Mitsubishi Spyder's are pretty fun cars, they look like a blast to drive!

The convertible part was fun.....but actually driving it was not fun. It was a rinky dink 4 cyl...SOOOOOO SLOOOOOWWW!!!!

Katshot
02-08-06, 02:09 PM
I have a '05 Jeep Wrangler w/soft top.
LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kev
02-08-06, 02:15 PM
I have a '05 Jeep Wrangler w/soft top.
LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!So.... I take it you are happy with your Jeep? :bigroll:

Jesda
02-08-06, 02:26 PM
I'm a Sebring fan. Long, low, and sleek. Build quality was pretty decent for its time and the drivetrain (96-00) runs forever and ever. The current Sebring would be fine without that craptacular 2.7.

mccombie_5
02-08-06, 03:18 PM
In 1999 my dad's ex had a 1997 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible, with the 2.0 litre engine. She and my dad both loved it, and we used it more than the brand new Passat 1.9TDI that Dad had as a company car. At the time there was only four of us, and my brother and I were just kids so there was room.

The top used to go down at every possible chance. It was yellow with grey leather. A few things went a bit sour and it ended up being replaced with a 2000 Vauxhall Astra 5-Door a year later.

One day I would like another Saab vert or maybe a Volvo C70.

nickc50310
02-08-06, 04:28 PM
This thread actually brings a tear to my eye, because it reminds me of my first car! It was a 73 Delta 88 convertible. That thing was bad ass! It was huge, gold and practically floated like a boat- thing rode so smooth! It had a 455 V8- the thing would lay rubber in forward and reverse, LOL!!

Anyway I like it alot when it was nice out and hated it in the winter. If you live in a pretty mild climate without much rain Id say go for it. I loved 70 degree summer nights with the top down.

fast66
02-08-06, 05:03 PM
black on black porsche cabriolet, I love it, but too bad its automatic.

this is an old pic back from 2001

airbalancer
02-08-06, 05:17 PM
My wife drives a 323CIC , with the top down it great.
Have a hardtop for the winter
It will be hard to get a couple or sedan after driving this

SpeedyArizona
02-08-06, 06:15 PM
I'm thinking of just doing it instead of thinking for months. The price is right and I could have it paid off quickly, but the only drawback is the price of upkeep. I already know that any convertible will cost twice as much as a normal coupe would, so that will influence my decision. I've gone down the list of convertibles and already did the pro-con thing. I don't particularly care for the Sebring nor the Mustang convertible, neither appeals too much to me. I've thought about an older, C5 'Vette Convertible, but haven't researched it.

I may just buy a normal coupe too, just a matter of what I can find. (I also like the Lexus SC430, but it looks more like a "chick" car than it does a man's)

eldorado99
02-08-06, 06:20 PM
I want for one of my future cars a big black early-mid 60s Pontiac Parisienne convertible. Convertibles are awesome on young Summer nights! Of course there is a problem if you live in a very rainy region (like Vancouver, British Columbia where I live, we just got through 40 straight days of rain) as they don't hold up well in those situations, but if not I'd imagine they would last a long time without much leaking if well cared for.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-08-06, 06:39 PM
The convertible part was fun.....but actually driving it was not fun. It was a rinky dink 4 cyl...SOOOOOO SLOOOOOWWW!!!!

Meg what year was it? My friend has a '98 Eclipse Spyder GS with the DOHC 2.4. It wasnt a fast car at all. I've only been in it 2x, but when she floored it in 1st gear, I didnt feel much pull at all. Add to that the super uncomfortable seats and tiny backseat, and overall crowded feeling and the fact that its a DSM, and you get a car I do not like much.

Kev
02-08-06, 06:44 PM
My idea of a fun little convertible would be an old MG. I would have to help the engine out a little of course! Wouldn't want a gutless wonder. Those little cars when dialed in properly are sweet little drivers. I love the sound of the little 4 banger with a tight little glass pack.

the Triumph TR-6 would be nice too, beef up the little straight 6, tune the suspension.... Oh well, enough with the daydreams now...

LittleB
02-08-06, 06:46 PM
Meg what year was it? My friend has a '98 Eclipse Spyder GS with the DOHC 2.4. It wasnt a fast car at all. I've only been in it 2x, but when she floored it in 1st gear, I didnt feel much pull at all. Add to that the super uncomfortable seats and tiny backseat, and overall crowded feeling and the fact that its a DSM, and you get a car I do not like much.

It was a 2003...yeah no pull AT ALL!

fast66
02-08-06, 06:52 PM
I'm thinking of just doing it instead of thinking for months. The price is right and I could have it paid off quickly, but the only drawback is the price of upkeep. I already know that any convertible will cost twice as much as a normal coupe would, so that will influence my decision. I've gone down the list of convertibles and already did the pro-con thing. I don't particularly care for the Sebring nor the Mustang convertible, neither appeals too much to me. I've thought about an older, C5 'Vette Convertible, but haven't researched it.

I may just buy a normal coupe too, just a matter of what I can find. (I also like the Lexus SC430, but it looks more like a "chick" car than it does a man's)

get the C5! or try for the new C6! do not get the lexus, it is a girls car in both looks and feel.

Katshot
02-08-06, 06:56 PM
My idea of a fun little convertible would be an old MG. I would have to help the engine out a little of course! Wouldn't want a gutless wonder. Those little cars when dialed in properly are sweet little drivers. I love the sound of the little 4 banger with a tight little glass pack.

the Triumph TR-6 would be nice too, beef up the little straight 6, tune the suspension.... Oh well, enough with the daydreams now...

Kev,
Ever drive a TR8?
Can't say I've ever been a fan of the British sports cars but that one was at least a little fun to drive back in the day as they say.

Kev
02-08-06, 07:01 PM
Kev,
Ever drive a TR8?
Can't say I've ever been a fan of the British sports cars but that one was at least a little fun to drive back in the day as they say.No, I haven't, in fact, I'm not familiar at all with the TR8, I lost touch and interest after the TR7 "The shape of things to come!" OOPS! NOT!

I'll have to look that one up and see what it looks like.

Kev
02-08-06, 07:10 PM
OK, back with a pic;
http://www.detroittriumph.org/Review/pics/greatTR8.jpg

The body style doesn't do much for me I have to say. It's nicer than the TR7 but I like the look of the TR6 alot!

http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/carpics/danmastr6big.jpg

And the little MG's always caught my eye as well;

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/%7Esteve/MG/mg-after.jpg

Kev
02-08-06, 07:11 PM
They look like simple little sports cars to me. Free and fun on a sunny day.....

peterb
02-08-06, 10:17 PM
The TR8 wasn't much more than a TR7 with the Buick-derived Rover V8 3.5L engine dropped in it.

JimHare
02-08-06, 10:54 PM
Kev, your posts on the MGs and Triumphs bring back the old days for me as well - tooling around in various Austins, MGs and the odd Triumph or two..build quality tended towards the "random fit and finish" school of British labor union practices, but they were fun - easy to work on, relatively sturdy (except for the plywood floor boards in some of 'em) and easy to drive.

I remember one experience in my friends MG Midget one day, or to be more specific, night. We had driven down from where we lived in Exton, PA to Ocean City, NJ and spent the day on the beach. Left for home around 9:30 or so. About halfway home in the middle of pitch-dark as the hindquarters of hell New Jersey, the heavens opened up and it poured. The top allowed more water in than it kept out, and after about three minutes, the drivers side wiper blew away. I spent nearly the rest of the ride hanging out the passenger window with a squeegee scraping the other side of the windshield so my friend could see to drive..Luckily, those cars were only about four feet wide.. :histeric: :histeric: :histeric:

airbalancer
02-08-06, 11:22 PM
I have friend who drop a V8 into a MG, fast little car

Elvis
02-08-06, 11:29 PM
I'd rather have a Karmann Ghia.

dbdartman
02-08-06, 11:30 PM
One thing my brother learned driving his 64 Imperial Crown Convertable: Even if you have the top up, windows up, radio & A/C on, when you yell at the moron next to you for being brain-dead, they can hear it through the top if their windows are open!

That car is such a blast. It's like driving your living room couch down the road, except this couch has 340 horsepower moving it, & even though it weighs 5000+ lbs, it'll git 'er done!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-09-06, 12:26 AM
I looooove Imperials!

Kev
02-09-06, 12:43 AM
Kev, your posts on the MGs and Triumphs bring back the old days for me as well - tooling around in various Austins, MGs and the odd Triumph or two..build quality tended towards the "random fit and finish" school of British labor union practices, but they were fun - easy to work on, relatively sturdy (except for the plywood floor boards in some of 'em) and easy to drive.

I remember one experience in my friends MG Midget one day, or to be more specific, night. We had driven down from where we lived in Exton, PA to Ocean City, NJ and spent the day on the beach. Left for home around 9:30 or so. About halfway home in the middle of pitch-dark as the hindquarters of hell New Jersey, the heavens opened up and it poured. The top allowed more water in than it kept out, and after about three minutes, the drivers side wiper blew away. I spent nearly the rest of the ride hanging out the passenger window with a squeegee scraping the other side of the windshield so my friend could see to drive..Luckily, those cars were only about four feet wide.. :histeric: :histeric: :histeric:That little anecdote reminds me of one of my own, or rather, my brother's. My brother's best bud had a little MGB GT and while they were driving down a steep grade at considerable rate of speed, the hood latch gave way and the hood flipped up and folded right over the windshield and roof. So here they are, doing about 90 mph down hill blind as a bat! They somehow made it safely to a stop on the side of the road and got the hood somewhat back into place enough to limp home. I think they might have had to change their shorts too!

Did I mention that it happened when they were on a narrow bridge?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-09-06, 01:05 AM
British cars..... :nono:

davesdeville
02-09-06, 05:28 AM
I find those new Solstice/Velite roadsters to be quite attractive and they wouldn't set your bank account back too much (and as an added bonus, will be covered under warranty).

You mean the Saturn Sky? The Velite was that Buick concept a few years ago. You're right though the Solstice is attractive at 20k.

Katshot
02-09-06, 08:30 AM
British cars..... :nono:

You got that right. :yeah:

Sandy
02-09-06, 09:51 AM
I love Imperial Convertibles, too! Had a 1968. Was my 1st car. Graduated college, had a $145.00 @ week job, living home with Mom & Dad for free, bought a brand new $7,500 Imperial Crown Convertible (ordered) ! Put down $700.00 and financed $7,000 for 4 years. $ 147.00 @ month, and I was livin' it up! Light Green Metallic body, Dark Green Bucket Seated Interior and Dk. Green leather roof. (Only 'vert to ever come with a leather roof was the 67 & 68 Imp. 'Verts. 2 years only.) Traded it in 1972 for a new LeBaron 4-Door Hatdtop. Always loved luxury cars! 26 years old and actually wanting a big (no, HUGE) 4-Door Hatdtop Imperial.
Cars today are all waay too small for me! Cadillac DTS and Town Car exceptions. The rest are for elves !!:yup:

http://www.americandreamcars.com/1968imperialcnvt.jpg

AirJigga25
02-09-06, 10:58 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=606&d=1063888929

slk230mb
02-09-06, 01:21 PM
http://www.smatarese.com/gallery/albums/uploads/Cars/100_0155.JPG

gothicaleigh
02-09-06, 01:51 PM
slk230mb wins the thread

EcSTSatic
02-09-06, 01:59 PM
slk230mb wins the thread

:thumbsup: :highfive::yeah: After all...it is a Cadillac forum!

slk230mb
02-09-06, 02:20 PM
slk230mb wins the thread

:thumbsup: :highfive::yeah: After all...it is a Cadillac forum!

Thanks! I'll have better pics come spring when my dad and I take it out of storage.

peterb
02-09-06, 03:12 PM
Wow, that's in very nice condition. What, exactly, is it? Must be late '50s or very early '60s?

Kev
02-09-06, 03:43 PM
Wow, that's in very nice condition. What, exactly, is it? Must be late '50s or very early '60s?My guess would be 59 Eldorado.

slk230mb
02-09-06, 04:16 PM
My guess would be 59 Eldorado.

Bingo! 1959 Eldorado Biarritz 1 of 99 with the front bucket option.

Edit - here are the rest of the pics I have posted here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=66160&postcount=3

and of our 1959 Fleetwood:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16705

Night Wolf
02-09-06, 04:22 PM
I love Imperial Convertibles, too! Had a 1968. Was my 1st car. Graduated college, had a $145.00 @ week job, living home with Mom & Dad for free, bought a brand new $7,500 Imperial Crown Convertible (ordered) ! Put down $700.00 and financed $7,000 for 4 years. $ 147.00 @ month, and I was livin' it up! Light Green Metallic body, Dark Green Bucket Seated Interior and Dk. Green leather roof. (Only 'vert to ever come with a leather roof was the 67 & 68 Imp. 'Verts. 2 years only.) Traded it in 1972 for a new LeBaron 4-Door Hatdtop. Always loved luxury cars! 26 years old and actually wanting a big (no, HUGE) 4-Door Hatdtop Imperial.
Cars today are all waay too small for me! Cadillac DTS and Town Car exceptions. The rest are for elves !!:yup:

http://www.americandreamcars.com/1968imperialcnvt.jpg

After a story like that.... and then you traded the car in...

imagine if ya had it today! Not only the dollar value, but how much it would mean to you :). Thats why I can't ever get rid of the Coupe :).

KOBO
02-09-06, 06:58 PM
I have one I use strictly as a fair weather car.

After a long day at work it makes for a relaxing ride home, and weekend rides are a blast. I do not know if I would want one as a everyday driver though. They usually do not have the quiet ride you get with a enclosed car and pretty much all of them leak somewhere (picture a face full of spray at the carwash). Plus, I have been to Scottsdale; the sun is gonna eatup that rag top it no time and that gets expensive. Not to mention sitting on those vinyl seats after a day in the sun....ooooo that stings.

If you can swing it, get one as a second car, and get a classic model if you can. That way you avoid the higher insurance costs of newer cars and ya got something people are gonna watch go by. Newer convertibles are a dime a dozen; get something that stands out and can be your baby for years to come.

FWIW

K

JC316
02-10-06, 12:24 AM
Does that 59 Eldo have still have it's Batwing breather? That is one of the hardest things to find for them.

slk230mb
02-10-06, 12:29 AM
Does that 59 Eldo have still have it's Batwing breather? That is one of the hardest things to find for them.

No idea what that is, a little help?

DopeStar 156
02-10-06, 12:33 AM
slk230mb wins the thread
Haha SLK wins at life.

Night Wolf
02-10-06, 12:58 AM
No idea what that is, a little help?

Its the air cleaner.

the standard 390 had a round air cleaner, the tri-power models (Eldorado, and cars with the option) had the bigger triangle air cleaner AKA "bat wing" its gold.

The air cleaner for the 331/365 was nice too, round with dual inlets on the side... it was actually made so the inlets face the firewall, but most people don't know that and put them on backwords for the inlets face the grille... for a ram-air effect....

for the 390, IIRC the base air cleaner is like "modern" carb air cleaners, a snorkel (though they didn't have an intake hose) I don't like that look as much... but the Tri-power intake... thats just flat out cool.

Sandy
02-10-06, 01:09 AM
'Ya, Ric of course I am sorry I trraded it in. I am sorry for every Imperial I traded in, actually. But I always needed THAT money to help pay for the next car, that I HAD TO HAVE, NOW NOW NOW NOW ! ! ! I think THTA car is still on the road as the dealer sold it to a collectior out west, for a pile of money !

slk230mb
02-10-06, 01:17 AM
Thanks Rick, that cleared it up. Yes, it still does have it's bat wing.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1428&d=1076711788

Night Wolf
02-10-06, 01:26 AM
Heh...

see, I can never picture myself buying a new car... maybe a 3 year old car but not new...

and I know how much a classic/collector car means much more then a brand new car...

The Coupe, I mean, thats with me forever... even though its rare, it won't be worth any abnomral dollar amount... but its "my" car... I mean, every single memory with it... I know I'll be glad I have it in 30 years.

The '79? I don't really have that feeling with it... but I still like the alot...

strange though, my Oldsmobile I grew really attached to... and I like that car alot... hard to believe, heh...

For me, my car future consists of a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon after school and once I get a good job... no new of course, 2003-2006 (probably '03/'04... lot cheaper) in 2008 or so... then, just as the name implies... Just Empty Every Pocket... I'll get hit with the Jeep bug :).

Other then that, I'd like to buy a REAL classic and restore it.... '55-'60 Cadillac... with '59 being my absolute favorite (duh) then '58, then '55,'60,'57... just gotta see what I can get...

other then that, I'll have no desire for a NEW car... I do want a 1995 Eldorado ETC, but eh... once I get the Jeep it'll really satisfy my manual transmission urge (I really want one) convertible and 4x4 truck... all in one shot.. and its different... still have the DeVille's though, when I want to drive them and trips etc... but atleast I'll have a choice :).

Night Wolf
02-10-06, 01:33 AM
Thanks Rick, that cleared it up. Yes, it still does have it's bat wing.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1428&d=1076711788

Thats not the bat wing....

but I think I goofed...

That is the origanal air cleaner... but I don't think the '59 came with the bat wing....

doing a search for "Cadillac Batwing" this came up:

http://www.grumpyzgarage.com/movin/parts-002.jpg

that is the cool 331/365 air cleaner I was talking about, but again... not the one I had in mind...

When I hear of "bat wing" THIS is what I think of... and have in mind...

this is a 1957 Eldorado... 1958 switched to the style like on the '59... which is not as cool as this one here... 2 air cleaners, 3 carburators... Hell yeah thats cool :)

http://i24.ebayimg.com/03/i/05/cc/91/99_3.JPG

http://i20.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/c6/2b/4e_3.JPG

Otherwise, my years are off, and the '59 Eldo intake is in fact a bat wing... or the 331 air cleaner.... but AKAIF, that right there was the bat wing :).

Sandy
02-10-06, 08:32 AM
Last year for the Bat Wing A/c was 1958. Steve's A/c is model year correct.

slk230mb
02-10-06, 09:32 AM
Last year for the Bat Wing A/c was 1958. Steve's A/c is model year correct.

Thanks. And Rick, that bat wing is pretty cool looking. I had never seen one on a 59 before and thanks to Sandy I know now why.

davc
02-11-06, 12:51 AM
Does anyone here have or know anyone who has a convertible? I'd like to find the pro's and con's of different ones and how they like it. Beautiful weather and I'm trapped inside a pile of rolling metal. I mention this because today I found a 2001 Porsche Boxster in a car trader magazine for only $23,000 and wonder if I could somehow juggle my budget:rant2: .

I know I couldn't get it now, but maybe in a year or two. I guess my wallet doesn't match my common sense.
Now anybody know a good lottery scam:alchi: , haha!

Damn speedy ... try reading Edmunds or something ....

you wanna win the lotto ... then PLAY ...!!! it works ...