: CTS-V vs. 300C SRT-8 from someone who should know

CVP33
02-07-06, 09:22 PM
2005 CTS-V vs. 2006 300C SRT-8

If some are hoping that Iím going to bash the CTS-V or have some axe to grind you can stop reading here. This will be a discussion of the finer points of each vehicle.

Amenities Ė The SRT-8 has everything the CTS-V has plus the following; uConnect cell phone, voice commands, bluetooth compatible, auto stick (more on this later), Sirius Satellite radio 1 year service vs. 3 months, back-up sensors, adjustable pedals, tilt and telescope with unlimited positions, steering wheel controls for just about everything. I like the layout, look and feel of the dash better in the SRT-8 as well. I do miss the Vís digital speedo, digital climate control vs. analog in the SRT, G-meter and larger NAV screen. The seats are infinitely adjustable in both and easy to find a comfortable position. The SRT is larger and feels it, especially when youíre carrying 4 adults.

Fit, Finish & Materials Ė Again the SRT has some very nice touches that really donít convey with pictures. You have to feel them. The SRT seats are much nicer, with bolsters that actually hold you. Center counsel feels sturdy and substantial vs. flimsy in the V. The SRT dash layout is easy to navigate and the buttons are classy, as are the materials. The center stack overlay frankly looks like a cheap add-on though and looks out of place. The Vís buttons are not as nice, especially on the NAV system. (Which peeled twice on my Vís) The tach and speedo in the V are easier to read, especially at speed. Door panels in both cars are laughable and should not be on ANY vehicle commanding over $47,000! Carpet in the V is MUCH better, thick and lush. The SRTís looks fresh out of a Neon. Paint on both cars shows orange peel, although subtle, itís there. The metal flake on the Brilliant Black SRT-8 is a nice touch. Exhaust tips on the SRT look like thin aftermarket add-ons vs. the classy, though small stock Vís.

Wheels and Tires Ė Both Companies should be bitch slapped here. GM for using a 6 lug wheel and eliminating all hopes of an aftermarket. Chrysler for using 20" rims with only 2 choices available for replacement. Think Iím kidding? Go search 245/45/20 and 255/45/20. RSAís and F1ís THATíS IT! GMís EMTís give up the ghost at 5,000 miles. Chryslerís mighty meats offer little grip vs. 425 ft.lbs. of torque while roasting themselves to the rims and offering no hint that theyíre spinning.

Engine and Transmission Ė Both vehicles have done amazing things with these American V8ís. The Vís power with 3.73 gears and 6 speed is ALWAYS on. Unlimited power is available when and where you need it. The much-lamented stock shifter in the V is inexcusable. Vague and rubbery it will betray you when youíre trying hard to shift quickly. The SRTís power is more discreet. 3.08 rear gears and a mountain of torque that just keeps pulling until you look down and canít believe youíre doing 100 mph in 11 seconds. Ahh, behold the power of torque. The transmission does nothing to let you know you just went from 1st to 2nd to 3rd. Only the rpm changes and exhaust note give it away. Both cars are civil and quiet when needed and both can bark loudly when asked. Anyone who hasnít driven the new generation auto-stick will be pleasantly surprised. Unlike the old system, this one will actually hold the gear up to and including your bouncing off the rev limiter. Tool down the highway at just under 60 and you can downshift into 2nd, catch rubber and launch the SRT on a highway blast. You can also shift the SRT like a manual all the time and itís almost as rewarding as perfectly shifting the V. Almost.

Handling and Stability Control vs. ESP - The Vís four modes of ALL ON, ALL OFF, TRACTION OFF and COMPETITIVE DRIVING are superior to the SRTís. The Competitive Mode in the V is the most confidence inspiring electrical co-pilot Iíve ever experienced. This mode will allow you to spin the wheels, get sideways (but not too sideways) and literally throw this car around. The V is also MUCH happier being tossed around a track than the SRT is. The SRT will do fine and perform at nearly the level of the V. Itís just not happy about it. The ESP is good and does a fine job of keeping you from over driving a corner and embarrassing yourself at a stoplight by literally sitting and spinning. Turn it off and you can dial in some more fun, but wait, what just happened? Itís not really all the way off. ESP is still watching and lying in wait and if it doesnít like what the yaw sensor just felt your getting dialed back. Damn it! Itís my $47,000 car and if I want to wreck it I should damned well be allowed to. Hmph!

Price and Warranty Ė The Caddyís warranty is better with 4yr/50,000 miles of worry free driving including roadside assistance. A loaner is also readily available on any service visit. The Chrysler warranty is 3yr/36,000 miles, a loaner for the first year only and roadside assistance for 3 years. We all heard the early rumors of a $39,995 SRT and Iím sure that car exists. But to option it up to the Caddyís level youíll be in the $46,500 range. Mine did not have the rear DVD system which adds another $1,150. You can find Vís all day long for $47,500 vs. their $51,000 msrp or should be able to by now. My SRT-8 stickered at $46,745, which I talked down to $46,245. Not my best work, but considering all the circumstances a good deal. I opted for a 4yr/100,000 mile warranty for an additional $1,500. So out the door minus TTT was $47,745. So itís virtually a wash on price.

Final Thoughts Ė These really are two completely different vehicles in character, styling, power delivery, handling, etc. Comparing the two is inevitable because the performance is so close as to be negligible. The cars will be cross-shopped and the new owners loving each for completely different reasons. In fact, my guess would be that what you love about one youíd hate about the other. Ultimately Iíd love to own one of each, as I donít think either can fully satisfy every need I have in a performance sedan. For instance I canít see taking the SRT to the track although I know I could. At times I wished the V had an automatic because the 6 speed was nearly impossible to drive smoothly. All in all they are both great cars. Drive them both and youíll immediately know where you belong.

thebigjimsho
02-07-06, 09:54 PM
I found absolutely nothing useful from this post.:duck:

CVP33
02-07-06, 09:55 PM
No problem Big Jim, now run along to the NHTSA to file your complaint. :highfive:

thebigjimsho
02-07-06, 09:57 PM
No problem Big Jim, now run along to the NHTSA to file your complaint. :highfive:Already have, nah!:nono:

Devil_concours
02-07-06, 10:02 PM
i like the original post in this thread but i think you already fell in love with your car and it shows on your recent posts

V-SATX
02-07-06, 10:03 PM
Frankly, the 300 is just plain ugly!!!

Sorry that is just my opinion.
:thepan:

CVP33
02-07-06, 10:06 PM
i like the post but i think you already fell in love with your car and it shows on your recent posts

Not in love yet, but definitely in like. I miss truly shifting and the handling feel of the V. What I don't miss is not worth re-living on every post so I choose to not bring it up. I bought two V's because I loved the V and knew there's nothing like it. My post above is objective. The numbers show it's just as fast. The price is the price, the options are the options. Go drive an SRT and you'll see.

CVP33
02-07-06, 10:08 PM
Frankly, the 300 is just plain ugly!!!

Sorry that is just my opinion.
:thepan:

Yes. That's why I didn't go down that road. People say the V looks plain. People say the 300 looks over done. In black, in person the 300 looks sinister. I do hate the rims though. A little too much.

V-Max
02-07-06, 10:08 PM
Congrats, I guess. I am glad you did not reconsider a 3rd V as it would have been your 3rd strike, or would it be the General's?

It was nice to see the comparison as we have seen a few owners become discouraged with GM's handling of their halo 4-door sports car. Keep us up to date on the whole experience with Chrysler's performance product. I think you'll find the MB derived drivetrain a little more durable.

Norm

DILLIGAF
02-07-06, 10:12 PM
As always good post,did you look at the charger too?I'm hoping you have good luck with your new car and extra glad your still hanging out in here with us and not the dodge ***s.

CVP33
02-07-06, 10:16 PM
Congrats, I guess. I am glad you did not reconsider a 3rd V as it would have been your 3rd strike, or would it be the General's?

It was nice to see the comparison as we have seen a few owners become discouraged with GM's handling of their halo 4-door sports car. Keep us up to date on the whole experience with Chrysler's performance product. I think you'll find the MB derived drivetrain a little more durable.

Norm

I stayed as long as I could. The jokes regarding the Caddy at work were especially hard to take. Of the executives in our office 8 have purchased new vehicles in the past 2 months. 1 Acura, 1 BMW, 3 Lexus, 3 300C's (including mine). He tells two friends and they tell two friends and so on and so on. My situation did not help Cadillac's image. My co-workers were even surprised that I kept the V as long as I did. My lack of patience is notorious in the office.

CVP33
02-07-06, 10:18 PM
As always good post,did you look at the charger too?I'm hoping you have good luck with your new car and extra glad your still hanging out in here with us and not the dodge ***s.

The 300C forum is dead for one. Unless I'm not in the right one. Kinda like going to the "other" forum to talk about the V. The Charger does not interest me at all. I just don't like the way it looks, especially with the rear wing. Plus you can't get all the options in the Charger like the 300C.

Devil_concours
02-07-06, 10:21 PM
I stayed as long as I could. The jokes regarding the Caddy at work were especially hard to take. Of the executives in our office 8 have purchased new vehicles in the past 2 months. 1 Acura, 1 BMW, 3 Lexus, 3 300C's (including mine). He tells two friends and they tell two friends and so on and so on. My situation did not help Cadillac's image. My co-workers were even surprised that I kept the V as long as I did. My lack of patience is notorious in the office.
i'm sort of in the same situation. Everyone knows me at work and they always notice that i brought a rental to work :mad:

In last 3 months, following new cars showed up in the parking lot
M45, GS300 AWD, E320 Diesel, RL, IS300, IS250 AWD, CLK55 AMG....

All brand new models except CLK55 AMG

crowan
02-07-06, 10:25 PM
Until recently, I had never been able to warm up to the Chrysler. Like the CTS, there were a million plain vanilla versions on the street being driven by geezers. Unlike the CTS, the Chrysler also has a large contingent of bling-bling playas as well.

That changed a couple of months ago when I pulled into a rest stop on the New Jersey Turnpike and parked next to an SRT-8 in a really cool steel blue color. The car really caught my eye. The SRT styling cues really improve the external appearance of the car. At the recent DC Car Show, I had an opportunity to sit in one and I must agree that the seats were very nice and the SRT trim was a nice touch. I believe that Chrysler offers an all-wheel drive version, but I may be wrong.

Being the owner of a Hemi Jeep, I am also drooling over the new Grand Cherokee SRT-8. It is a ridiculously impractical vehicle, but practicality has never been my strong point. I want one, bad.

In today's market, there are some great choices for under $50k.

CR

CVP33
02-07-06, 10:32 PM
CR,

Totally agree. If the wife would have the Jeep SRT-8 vs. the Tahoe, there'd be one in our driveway tonight. Her taste is more mini-ute these days. As you stated, I must admit that when I see a 300C rolling on 22" rims with a chromed grille, I pray they don't wave at me hoping I'll wave back. But I've seen a few CTS's dressed this way as well especially where I live.

thebigjimsho
02-07-06, 11:02 PM
No AWD 300 SRT-8, yet.

AmesCTS-V
02-07-06, 11:14 PM
Of the executives in our office 8 have purchased new vehicles in the past 2 months. 1 Acura, 1 BMW, 3 Lexus, 3 300C's (including mine).
I highlighted the key point of why I'll never even consider this car. Everyone has one and if that isn't bad enough the Magnums are about 3 parts away from being one and the Chargers are maybe 2. I saw them so much last time I was in Vegas I about puked. They actually make the Mustang feel like a nice rare car.

I stopped reading your review at autostick, Sirius... JK. But auto = no thanks. Giving up O&A = no thanks.

My cousin had a 300C before he traded it at less than 6 months old for my Silvy SS. My biggest complaint was I hated the interior. I'm glad you at least mentioned the cheap carpet otherwise I was going to wonder what you were smoking. My second biggest complaint was that it was just a pain in the ass to mod. I've done a lot of stuff to my GTO right in the driveway. Everything we tried to do with his 300 ended up with us putting the parts back in the box and him leaving pissed off. When we tried to see what others did on the forums no dice. Either they hadn't done it or they paid some shop to do it.

crowan
02-07-06, 11:14 PM
CR,

I must admit that when I see a 300C rolling on 22" rims with a chromed grille, I pray they don't wave at me hoping I'll wave back. But I've seen a few CTS's dressed this way as well especially where I live.

:histeric: :histeric:

I'm seeing more and more of those VXTI dealer "creations." Just awful.

If you are seriously considering the 300 SRT-8, take a look at that silver blue color. It seems to tone down the wheels and the SRT-8 badges really look good on it.

CR

AmesCTS-V
02-07-06, 11:20 PM
Just so that I'm not all pissy with my posts.... CVP33 I love what you did on your V and I hope you can give the 300 some of the same treatment.

I'm not trying to run you off either I really hope you stick around. I just really had high hopes for your next car. I thought for sure I was going to be jealous.

CVP33
02-07-06, 11:35 PM
I highlighted the key point of why I'll never even consider this car. Everyone has one and if that isn't bad enough the Magnums are about 3 parts away from being one and the Chargers are maybe 2. I saw them so much last time I was in Vegas I about puked. They actually make the Mustang feel like a nice rare car.

I stopped reading your review at autostick, Sirius... JK. But auto = no thanks. Giving up O&A = no thanks.

My cousin had a 300C before he traded it at less than 6 months old for my Silvy SS. My biggest complaint was I hated the interior. I'm glad you at least mentioned the cheap carpet otherwise I was going to wonder what you were smoking. My second biggest complaint was that it was just a pain in the ass to mod. I've done a lot of stuff to my GTO right in the driveway. Everything we tried to do with his 300 ended up with us putting the parts back in the box and him leaving pissed off. When we tried to see what others did on the forums no dice. Either they hadn't done it or they paid some shop to do it.

GSM out in California is doing some nice work on these vehicles right now. There's an article in C&D I believe with their s/c, pcm reflash and shock upgrade. The car ran a 12.4 as I recall. As far as the easy mod's there just really isn't anything you can do to the 300 without going farther overboard. The styling is already at the edge. I always saw the V as more of a canvas to add to without getting out of hand. I've stared under the hood of the 300 and I don't know what I'd change. Same with the exterior.

CVP33
02-07-06, 11:37 PM
:histeric: :histeric:

I'm seeing more and more of those VXTI dealer "creations." Just awful.

If you are seriously considering the 300 SRT-8, take a look at that silver blue color. It seems to tone down the wheels and the SRT-8 badges really look good on it.

CR

Crowan,

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. On Friday I traded in my 2005 CTS-V for a 2006 300C SRT-8. It's Brilliant Black Pearl Coat with all options except rear DVD. And by the way, NOTHING can tone down those wheels, NOTHING! So far my only outright HATE.

CVP33
02-07-06, 11:49 PM
Just so that I'm not all pissy with my posts.... CVP33 I love what you did on your V and I hope you can give the 300 some of the same treatment.

I'm not trying to run you off either I really hope you stick around. I just really had high hopes for your next car. I thought for sure I was going to be jealous.

It's official, I've changed my avatar, ownership and signature. My posts will never be "in your face" unless I'm goaded into it. By now you all know I'm not a troll. I will definitely stay around because there is unfinished business that I want to see resolved for everyone here.

My next car was nearly a C6 but at the last minute I just couldn't do it. For my job, a Corvette totally disconnects me from my TEAM. I can only explain it as, imagine that you bust your ass everyday and your boss is driving a $350,000 Maybach and telling you you're overpaid and not trying hard enough. That becomes a pretty hard sell as you speed away. The 300 and CTS are unassuming enough to be nearly an everyman's car. I can live with that. I'd rather be underestimated any day of the week.

You guys are my internet pals. The ones I've had the pleasure of meeting in person have re-emphasized my belief that car guys are good guys. I have no intention of leaving such an active, informative and fun forum. Carry on gentlemen, as we have much to do. :yup:

crowan
02-08-06, 12:01 AM
Doh!! My bad.:banghead: So much for speed reading.

Congrats on the purchase! I look forward to hearing your review as the miles pile up.

CR

ace996
02-08-06, 12:25 AM
Good for you, Chris. I hope you find peace with the SRT, Lord knows you deserve it.
Regarding the wheels, and here's my track-dog speaking...Would 18" wheels fit over the brakes? Here's why I bring it up...
1. DUBS....uh, should I go on? Are they chrome? Shit, paint them black or gunmetal if they are....Chrome DUBS???....what's next, a gold tooth with a Diamond in it???
2. Your point of tire choices...
3. Wheels replacements, winter wheels, track wheels, ect...18s would be cheaper and have a much better selection of quality "motorsport" rims. You'd be my absolute hero running with SSR Comps in gunmetal, enough where I could forgive the autotranny....
4. 18s are lighter, therefore would be faster and turn quicker...no doubt reducing the "heavy" feeling on transitions and steering.
5. Who the Hell would ever go -2 from DUBS to 18s!!!!!! That would just take a huge set of balls, and probably make every Playa brain-freeze in total incomprehension of reality. And it would tone-down the car, making it much more of a sneaky-sleeper than it already is. Heck, just to keep it from getting it stolen I'd debadge it the first day. Then you beat on everyone who thinks you've just added different "cheap" 18s to your pedestrian 300.

All kidding aside, best of luck to you. And know that your Miglias are being used well, and another forum member is ready to take over when I also make the switch. Good to hear you're staying for a while,
ace

V Amazed
02-08-06, 12:28 AM
Chris, have you ever driven a regular hemi 300c? I had one as a rental when my V was in the shop. Impressions were not too terribly favorable, and I was just wondering if you had a comparison. A few low points for me that I was wondring if they improved on the SRT model was the fakey aluminum interior, sound system, and fake wood trim. Additionally, I thought the car felt like a big boat. Ironically, I enjoyed beating the piss out of it though. I know absolutely nothing about the SRT-8 upgrades besides the obvious body mods, engine/tranny, wheels, etc.

Ben

jspinetto
02-08-06, 12:40 AM
Nice objective review.

Congrats on the new car.

BTW, how much did they give on the trade and how many miles did you have ?

Jonathan

CVP33
02-08-06, 01:01 AM
Nice objective review.

Congrats on the new car.

BTW, how much did they give on the trade and how many miles did you have ?

Jonathan

Trade in is a joke. They started at $32,000 and I worked them up from there. A monumental task as the V sat in their lot with a blown tranny, unable to be road tested. The V was a 2005, roof, platinum, worn tires and 29,000 miles.

CVP33
02-08-06, 01:06 AM
Chris, have you ever driven a regular hemi 300c? I had one as a rental when my V was in the shop. Impressions were not too terribly favorable, and I was just wondering if you had a comparison. A few low points for me that I was wondring if they improved on the SRT model was the fakey aluminum interior, sound system, and fake wood trim. Additionally, I thought the car felt like a big boat. Ironically, I enjoyed beating the piss out of it though. I know absolutely nothing about the SRT-8 upgrades besides the obvious body mods, engine/tranny, wheels, etc.

Ben

I've never driven a Hemi C but strangely, I'd driven a V6 on vacation about a year ago and actually enjoyed it. The SRT-8 adds about as much suspension and driveline changes as the V adds to the base CTS. So they really are different animals when compared to thier more pedestrian cousins. There's not fake aluminum, no wood at all and the sound system with KICKER sub which I should've mentioned earlier literally blows the V's bose system away. There's no comparison there. I literally cannot stand the volume on full. This coming form a guy who drove a gutted header, x-piped V for cryin' out loud. The bass will shake the mirrors to the point of rendering them useless.

CVP33
02-08-06, 01:11 AM
Good for you, Chris. I hope you find peace with the SRT, Lord knows you deserve it.
Regarding the wheels, and here's my track-dog speaking...Would 18" wheels fit over the brakes? Here's why I bring it up...
1. DUBS....uh, should I go on? Are they chrome? Shit, paint them black or gunmetal if they are....Chrome DUBS???....what's next, a gold tooth with a Diamond in it???
2. Your point of tire choices...
3. Wheels replacements, winter wheels, track wheels, ect...18s would be cheaper and have a much better selection of quality "motorsport" rims. You'd be my absolute hero running with SSR Comps in gunmetal, enough where I could forgive the autotranny....
4. 18s are lighter, therefore would be faster and turn quicker...no doubt reducing the "heavy" feeling on transitions and steering.
5. Who the Hell would ever go -2 from DUBS to 18s!!!!!! That would just take a huge set of balls, and probably make every Playa brain-freeze in total incomprehension of reality. And it would tone-down the car, making it much more of a sneaky-sleeper than it already is. Heck, just to keep it from getting it stolen I'd debadge it the first day. Then you beat on everyone who thinks you've just added different "cheap" 18s to your pedestrian 300.

All kidding aside, best of luck to you. And know that your Miglias are being used well, and another forum member is ready to take over when I also make the switch. Good to hear you're staying for a while,
ace

I was anxiously awaiting your post and as expected you cracked me up. Especially the "-2", "dubs" and finally the coup de grace "playa brain-freeze". That my friends is the trifecta of comedy.

Geno
02-08-06, 08:47 AM
Hey Chris,

You caught me by surprise. I knew you were unloading the "V", just didn't picture the SRT. Of course, being a tech-e type, I guess I don't have a lot of viseral imagination.

When we visited a couple of weeks ago, we got a good feelin' from our short visit. So I don't have any reservations about your pick and I'm happy you're happy. As a matter of fact, I think it's kind of neat when considering the possiblities of visiting VIR and hanging the two cars out. VIR has a good combination of straights and curves so lap times should be close. The SRT may even have an advantage with the auto transmission. I bet a lot of people don't realize that Jim Hall's Chapparels (sp) from the 60's had autos.

Hang in there and hope to see more of your posts. I'll send you an e-mail every now and then.

Silver Baron
02-08-06, 10:02 AM
Why did this post get moved?

Katshot
02-08-06, 10:30 AM
Good luck with your new baby! I liked your first post and found myself nodding a lot as I read it. Just this pst weekend, I had the opportunity to take a real nice drive in a new '06 CTS-V and it was a wonderful car to drive. Quite possibly the finest handling car I've ever driven but you points are true about it IMO.
I guess I'm too old to be driving a manual as a daily driver no matter HOW fun it is to drive. Been there, done that years ago and am not dying to go back to it anytime soon.
I'm surprised at the price you paid for your SRT-8 though. I looked at (and drove) a couple and they were both stickered at $43K. I guess there must've been something they were missing? I found the 'V' a better candidate for the track and that's great IF you're looking to drive at that level. Persoanlly, I'm not and I don't feel the need to buy a car with that level of potential just so I can say I have it. I buy for the way I'll actually drive it. This is just another reason why I think I like the SRT-8 products so much. They aren't "sports cars" they're "sporty cars". They can be driven at nearly the level of the actual sports cars and at the same time offer the comfort and bad-ass looks that I'll appreciate on a daily basis.
Personally, I liked the steel blue SRT-8 too Crowan. Liked it a lot. That's the one I actually drove too. The more I looked at it, the more I liked it.
I think the biggest problem when it comes to the CTS-V and some others like it is that maybe it's the answer to a question nobody's asking.

AmesCTS-V
02-08-06, 10:52 AM
It's official, I've changed my avatar, ownership and signature. My posts will never be "in your face" unless I'm goaded into it. By now you all know I'm not a troll. I will definitely stay around because there is unfinished business that I want to see resolved for everyone here.

My next car was nearly a C6 but at the last minute I just couldn't do it. For my job, a Corvette totally disconnects me from my TEAM. I can only explain it as, imagine that you bust your ass everyday and your boss is driving a $350,000 Maybach and telling you you're overpaid and not trying hard enough. That becomes a pretty hard sell as you speed away. The 300 and CTS are unassuming enough to be nearly an everyman's car. I can live with that. I'd rather be underestimated any day of the week.

You guys are my internet pals. The ones I've had the pleasure of meeting in person have re-emphasized my belief that car guys are good guys. I have no intention of leaving such an active, informative and fun forum. Carry on gentlemen, as we have much to do. :yup:
Cool do stick around, I still think you'll be modding the 300; not modding a car is pretty much impossible:) I have wondered what my guys thought about me driving and modding on my V, but at the end of the day I take all the finacial risk and aren't guarnateed a paycheck, plus I'm the boss so I deserve it.

obzidian
02-08-06, 11:54 AM
good review....

I really didn't see anything that wasnt objective though i feel that the V interior isnt as bad as it was painted in your post. Also, it was mentioned that the V is sports car and not a sporty car. Though i agree, i would like to mention that the V does a fine job of combining luxury or "statesmenship" that a few would like to credit. It colors are sutble and a bit "avant grade", but that is the feel/look of the new caddi line and i like it...though i will agree that the door panels need a bit more of love.

I believe the conception of the srt-8 feeling bigger or not as agile is because it is. ITs more of a cruiser thgouh again, i feel that the V with all of its issue, has had that part taken away from it. The shifter isnt as horrible as it is described..just not as percise as a FD's shifter which on requires a flick of the wrist. Would it be nice, YES, but all and in all, not horrible.

The V is a nice luxury sedan with performance running in its veins. I like the SRT-8 and im sure you'll grow to love the auto stick or not!! :) I think in black is the color it would look best and with black wheels with a sliver lip.... yeah..i know its bling but is a chrylser merged with MB....

Oh, and that is another point, without the help of MB, chrylser and dodge, IMO, would not have been even close to where they are now without the aid of MB, which has turned the company into a solid competitor with their SRT line. I think hey have done a great job and hopefully it will last...

Lord Cadillac
02-08-06, 12:18 PM
Why did this post get moved?

I didn't move it - but to answer your question - just look at the title. It's exactly what this section is here for. Comparisons of Cadillac vs its competitors.. This section was made for topics like this..

To whoever moved it, thank you...

Lord Cadillac
02-08-06, 12:19 PM
CVP33, thank you for the Great comparison!!

GT04CTS-V
02-08-06, 06:31 PM
No problem Big Jim, now run along to the NHTSA to file your complaint. :highfive:

Looks like eight people already did the same for the 2006 300's :stirpot:

GT

CVP33
02-08-06, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I've already been to the dealer to address the squeaking brakes. Although we all know the V's squeal as well, there's apparently a TSB where the pads are swapped for ones that don't squeal while having no effect on stopping ability. So next Monday I'm addressing that.

I also hear that there is a concern over soft rotors and a studder between the 1-2 shift. I haven't had a problem with the rotors yet, but I have experienced the studder. It only happens under full acceleration from a standstill. I've found that pressing the gas about 90% launches the car better, eliminates the studder and then you can slam it. With no clutch to feather, traction becomes your enemy so careful application of the throttle is needed getting off the line.

Gordy Petrovski
02-08-06, 10:02 PM
My question is when are VERTICAL doors going on??:hide:

CVP33
02-08-06, 10:08 PM
My question is when are VERTICAL doors going on??:hide:

As soon as you take off your landau roof, coach lights, vogue tires, gold chain license plate, wood grain dash overlay, sheep skin seat covers, curb feelers, dash cover, chrome fenders and neon. :histeric: :histeric: :histeric:

http://www.tuningfever.com/albums/userpics/11596/cadilac%20cts.JPG

ace996
02-08-06, 10:25 PM
And don't forget the King's Crown air freshener....in Royal Purple and Gold...of course!!!

brougham
02-09-06, 12:57 AM
I think this is a good post. I got to drive some 300Cs along with all the other new Chryslers a couple years ago at a Chrysler test drive. I liked the 300C a lot but I remember thinking it didn't seem as good as I thought it would be. But that didn't stop me from going around the track a few times with it! It was a fun day. I saw a 300 SRT8 a few weeks ago. It sounded really nice and it would be fun to try driving one sometime. It was a black one.

brougham
02-09-06, 12:59 AM
I didn't move it - but to answer your question - just look at the title. It's exactly what this section is here for. Comparisons of Cadillac vs its competitors.. This section was made for topics like this..

To whoever moved it, thank you...

You're welcome Sal

Katshot
02-09-06, 07:39 AM
I think this is a good post. I got to drive some 300Cs along with all the other new Chryslers a couple years ago at a Chrysler test drive. I liked the 300C a lot but I remember thinking it didn't seem as good as I thought it would be. But that didn't stop me from going around the track a few times with it! It was a fun day. I saw a 300 SRT8 a few weeks ago. It sounded really nice and it would be fun to try driving one sometime. It was a black one.

That reminds me of something I forgot to mention. I think the SRT-8 "sounds" much nicer on the road. The CTS-V has a weird engine/exhaust sound that I really didn't care for, whereas the SRT-8 had a real nice engine/exhaust sound. I know it may seem like a minor thing but to me it's not. I've put custom intakes and exhausts on most of my cars/trucks and take a lot of care making sure they give me that "just right" tone both at idle and under power.

waldoaz
02-10-06, 04:07 PM
The SRT-8 looks very nice, but the CTS-V is sexier! The problem with Chrysler is their nazi computer! Its hard to modify this car because of it! GSM uses a piggyback comp to get around it! For some reason Chrysler wont give out the codes to aftermarket companies! Its truelly a fast car, but if your going ot modify the engine, then id suggest the CTS-V!

Katshot
02-10-06, 06:54 PM
The SRT-8 looks very nice, but the CTS-V is sexier! The problem with Chrysler is their nazi computer! Its hard to modify this car because of it! GSM uses a piggyback comp to get around it! For some reason Chrysler wont give out the codes to aftermarket companies! Its truelly a fast car, but if your going ot modify the engine, then id suggest the CTS-V!

I really don't think the SRT-8 will be hard to mod considering all the mods being done to other SRT cars. I haven't done any looking but I'd be VERY surprised if modding the SRT-8 was limited at all.
And as for which is "sexier", I think that's very subjective. IMO, I think the CTS-V is more of a driver's car for sure but the SRT-8 is way hotter looking.

AmesCTS-V
02-10-06, 09:34 PM
I really don't think the SRT-8 will be hard to mod considering all the mods being done to other SRT cars. I haven't done any looking but I'd be VERY surprised if modding the SRT-8 was limited at all.
It's pretty well known that Chryslers aren't well supported by programming software. I'm not saying tuners won't or don't support them, but what waldoaz is saying has a lot of merit. LSx engines on the other hand have a lot of options; you aren't left with just finding a product, but instead get to pick from a lot of products most of which are very stable and solid.

Leloz
02-11-06, 08:04 AM
Congrats on the new purchase. I now have 600 miles on my Charger SRT-8 and am loving every second behind the wheel. The car is a discussion piece everywhere I drive it. I can't wait to test its abilities on the track, most likely I will let my oldest son do the honors. As for luxury, it does not have the fit and finish of my 2005 RL, but it is comparable to the finish in my son's 2003 DTS. I will be on the lookout for you and be sure to honk or wave if you see me in the Tidewater area:

http://members.cox.net/leloz80/161-6140_IMG.JPG

Take care and drive safe... traction control means nothing in these cars.
Regards,
Abe

CVP33
02-11-06, 02:25 PM
Congrats on the new purchase. I now have 600 miles on my Charger SRT-8 and am loving every second behind the wheel. The car is a discussion piece everywhere I drive it. I can't wait to test its abilities on the track, most likely I will let my oldest son do the honors. As for luxury, it does not have the fit and finish of my 2005 RL, but it is comparable to the finish in my son's 2003 DTS. I will be on the lookout for you and be sure to honk or wave if you see me in the Tidewater area:

http://members.cox.net/leloz80/161-6140_IMG.JPG

Take care and drive safe... traction control means nothing in these cars.
Regards,
Abe

Abe,

Thanks and I will return the favor. As far as traction is concerned I was very surprised that when traveling at anything under 25 mph and flooring it results in an abrupt downshift and a complete loss of traction. You've gotta love torque. I think you've got the handler of the bunch with the Charger. That should be a hoot on the track.

Also - I don't think you picked up on my earlier comment, I think you and I had the same builder. Your brick color, dual garage openings, etc. look identical to mine.

Take care,

Chris

Leloz
02-11-06, 03:27 PM
You are probably right. There are only a handful of builders in the Tidewater area. I bought our home 10 months after it was built in 1990. I just wish I had 2 more garages at home!

Enjoy the 300C! Did they tell you something about the car not hitting the full 425hp till you reach 5,000 miles?

CVP33
02-11-06, 10:28 PM
You are probably right. There are only a handful of builders in the Tidewater area. I bought our home 10 months after it was built in 1990. I just wish I had 2 more garages at home!

Enjoy the 300C! Did they tell you something about the car not hitting the full 425hp till you reach 5,000 miles?

I have a two car attached and a two car detached garage. My home was built in 1989, my guess is it's the same builder. When this weather clears we've got to hook up for lunch and compare rides. I know another local V owner that will join us. Should be fun.