: ghost in the machine

cadillacgirl
02-07-06, 08:51 PM
help.. i have a 1998 sedan deville w/32v northstar it has about 105k on it and just recently it has started to die, it does not matter wether the engine is cold or hot.. you lose all power and have to pull over and put in park and it will immeditaly restart.. does any one have any idea what this is... also had a machinec tell me that i should sell my car now bcause north stars dont last past 100k.. my car runs great except for the "ghost in the machine" thanks for any help:confused: cadillac girl

DaveDeVille
02-07-06, 09:01 PM
Sorry I don't know these cars that well yet myself, but I am past 107K and going strong. I had a great hour long ride in the country today. Do you know how to check for codes? Is the SES light on? Could be a fuel filter.

cadillacgirl
02-07-06, 09:02 PM
thats an idea.. didnt think of that was more on the lines of the theft system acting up

DaveDeVille
02-07-06, 09:13 PM
If it runs awhile and then dies it could be the fuel filter. You lose pressure after the filter as you run, and stall. Then when pressure builds back up after the filter, it will run again for a while. Kinda like cycling. I don't know if that is your case, but I've had it happen before like that.

cadillacgirl
02-07-06, 09:19 PM
it will go for about a week w/out doing it then it starts again.. is the fuel filter behind the rear passenger wheel?

DaveDeVille
02-07-06, 09:25 PM
Going a week makes me wonder. I was thinking short runs. I think the filter is on the drivers' side infront of the rear wheel. But from your last post, I think it may be something else, unless it's clogging and unclogging. Where is Ranger when you need him! LOL

cadillacgirl
02-07-06, 10:08 PM
yeah where is ranger tonight.. i need him to answer another question.. i am going to try the fuel filter end. do we know what kind or should i just call oriellys thanks for yall help tonight

Tombo47
02-07-06, 11:48 PM
northstars dont last past 100k? tell that guy to go shove it. Hes a moron and shouldnt be even calling himself a mechanic. Ask one of these guys on here, hes got a '95 deville with 238k! and he has the same motor and tranny as he did when he got it. That guy is a fool for being so arrogant.

Tailfin
02-08-06, 04:06 AM
There are a lot of dishonest mechanics out there, unfortunately. He probably wanted to do you a "favor" and "take it off your hands" or sell you another car :hitstick:. Anyway, as for the problem...sounds like a pain to diagnose, but if it only happens on the order of a week, then I'd say it's not air or spark... So I would guess (and note that's a humble guess) that it's either fuel not getting through, or a sensor intermittently screwing up. If it's fuel, perhaps it's a syphoning issue...or the fuel pump or filter are on their way out... Is there any pattern to the stall with the amount of fuel in the tank? It might be easier on the pump/filter when there's more fuel in it. Is there any chugging or lagging response in the acceleration?...any symtoms at all while driving, or just the sudden death?

If it's a sensor, I'm at a loss on those things... If you have a code reader, it might help...but I would hope the "mechanic" checked that.

cadillacgirl
02-08-06, 07:15 AM
tailfin- i couldnt agree w/you more i love... my caddy and i was very upset when he stated "sell it now" you brought up a really good question on the fuel quanity i will keep a eye out on that it did the stall again last night and it was low on fuel.. so thanks again..

SkarTisu
02-08-06, 10:09 AM
One cheap and easy thing to check is the negative battery cable where it mounts on the engine or chassis. If that connection is bad, it could account for the car suddenly dying without warning. Taking the connection apart and cleaning it with a wire brush should do the trick.

JimD
02-08-06, 10:18 AM
help.. i have a 1998 sedan deville w/32v northstar it has about 105k on it and just recently it has started to die, it does not matter wether the engine is cold or hot.. you lose all power and have to pull over and put in park and it will immeditaly restart.. does any one have any idea what this is... also had a machinec tell me that i should sell my car now bcause north stars dont last past 100k.. my car runs great except for the "ghost in the machine" thanks for any help:confused: cadillac girl

Retrieve the trouble codes (DTCs) from the On Board Diagnostics.

The 'ususal suspect' for what you describe would be nuisance crankshaft position sensor faults.

Dooman
02-08-06, 10:31 AM
I've had to do the crankshaft sensors twice now.. stalled here and there, out of the blue.. mostly at near idle... Drive-thru tellers, red lights and such.

cadillacgirl
02-09-06, 02:53 PM
dooman this is cadillac girl pls tell me where would the crankshaft sensors be located and can a person that is not a mechanic. change something like that oh yeah and how much do they cost.. thanks

Ranger
02-11-06, 08:47 AM
Sorry I'm late. I was in Northern Wisconsin trying to wear out my snowmobile. No luck, it's still running strong. I agree, it sounds a lot like a crankshaft sensor. Look for the post from Gramps. He just changed them. It's a little tight from what I hear but certainly doable.

Zorb750
02-13-06, 03:48 AM
A bad O2 sensor did it to my friend's 1997 SLS (around 80K when it happened).

I was with him a couple times when it happened. It lost power, couldn't maintain 50 mph @ half throttle, service engine lit up. He let off after a couple of seconds and we more or less rolled into a side street (Dearborn, MI - no lack of those) where the car sat there sputtering. He shut it off for a few seconds, then restarted it, it ran better, but not as it should have, then cycled it again off and on and it ran normally. The Service Engine light was on, and the code indicated something relating to an Oxygen Sensor. This happened a couple other times, both times exposure to water (car wash or puddle large enough to splash the bottom of the car a lot).

Dooman
02-20-06, 09:10 AM
dooman this is cadillac girl pls tell me where would the crankshaft sensors be located and can a person that is not a mechanic. change something like that oh yeah and how much do they cost.. thanks

Sorry, it was done under warranty at a dealer.. Didn't do the work myself.

BJCarlton
02-20-06, 01:34 PM
My elderly aunt has the same issue. It cropped up on her 1999 Sedan de Ville at 38,000 miles, in 2002, and the car has been randomly stalling ever since. Just as with the initial poster, the engine will cut out whether the car is moving or not. It has happened to her on the freeway, which, since she loses her power steering and braking, and has to come to a stop to restart the car, presents some serious danger. It happened to me one day as I came off a freeway offramp: as I was coasting down the hill I discovered that I had little braking or steering ability, and in fact the engine had stopped. The car has been back to the dealer repeatedly since 2002, but they have never been able to find anything.

I've seen some other references on the Web to this problem, but no one seems to have a definitive answer. I'd sure like to get this problem fixed before my aunt gets killed.

Ranger
02-20-06, 06:04 PM
Have them change the A & B crankshaft sensors.

BJCarlton
02-20-06, 11:49 PM
Thank you. Will do post-haste.