: Donnie Darko

mccombie_5
02-07-06, 08:13 PM
Has anyone seen this film? What did you think of it?

I am mid way through an assignment for film studies on this, and I'm finding it very easy to write about, but looking at the figures it didnt do too well.

Take a look at these.

Production Budget: $6 million

TOTAL LIFETIME GROSSES
Domestic: $1,270,522

DOMESTIC SUMMARY
Opening Weekend: $110,494
(58 theaters, $1,905 average)
% of Total Gross: 21.4%
Widest Release: 58 theaters
Close Date: April 11, 2002

Doesnt look too great, despite what I think is a great cult teen film, featuring some great Tears For Fears music! What does everyone else think?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=donniedarko.htm

Kev
02-07-06, 08:18 PM
Sorry, never heard of it. :hmm:

mccombie_5
02-07-06, 08:23 PM
Made in 2001, clearly to a small budget.

Fantastic movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246578/

DaveDeVille
02-07-06, 08:34 PM
I saw it when I was about 45. I loved it. I have just recently been wishing it would be on again!

mccombie_5
02-07-06, 08:38 PM
I saw it when I was about 45. I loved it. I have just recently been wishing it would be on again!

It is a great film, some fantastic camera work too, which is what im looking at.

I picked my copy up in December on DVD for 2.98 (somewhere enar $5)

EcSTSatic
02-07-06, 09:34 PM
I never saw it either. When I had film studies in college I found the old silent movies made the best topics. Wait...they were all silent back then. D'oh..I'm not that old, just feel like it sometimes!
Anyway, without sound they really had to rely on lighting, angles, expression, etc. No special effects back then!

mccombie_5
02-07-06, 10:13 PM
I never saw it either. When I had film studies in college I found the old silent movies made the best topics. Wait...they were all silent back then. D'oh..I'm not that old, just feel like it sometimes!
Anyway, without sound they really had to rely on lighting, angles, expression, etc. No special effects back then!

Actually strange you mention that, we had to watch THE scene from Psycho in silence, and it has a very different effect with no music.

THe sequence I chose in Donnie Darko is scene three, because there is no dialogue, and it flicks from fast to realtime to slow motion and there are alot of odd camera angles and pans, and it is all covered by the Tears For Fears song, Head Over Heels, its a good film, set in 1988, worth a watch!

DaveDeVille
02-07-06, 10:21 PM
Definately worth a watch. It was very profound. Should have been more popular but I'm kinda glad just a few of us knew how to appreciate it. I can remember the scene your referring to, but the whole movie (soundtrack included) has a direction all it's own. Like I said before, I loved it.

mccombie_5
02-07-06, 10:25 PM
Definately worth a watch. It was very profound. Should have been more popular but I'm kinda glad just a few of us knew how to appreciate it. I can remember the scene your referring to, but the whole movie (soundtrack included) has a direction all it's own. Like I said before, I loved it.

The sequence I chose fits perfectly with my "Film Language" title too.

Its sort of taken a cult place now, at least in the UK almost every teenager betwen 14 and 19 have this movie on DVD.

DaveDeVille
02-07-06, 10:28 PM
I guess I should be a teenager in the UK instead of a middle aged man in Wisconsin, eh? Maybe I could pull off my own Donnie.

mccombie_5
02-07-06, 10:34 PM
I guess I should be a teenager in the UK instead of a middle aged man in Wisconsin, eh? Maybe I could pull off my own Donnie.

You should be indeed!!

The DaveDeville cult :bouncy:

Blackout
02-08-06, 07:33 AM
Donnie Darko was a great movie and was Jake Gyllenhaal's breakout movie IMO. Good story, good music, overall it was one of the movies that people didn't get to know until it was out on video. 28 days... six hours... 42 minutes... 12 seconds. That... is when the world... will end.

gothicaleigh
02-08-06, 07:41 AM
I love that movie.

I have the original and special edition on DVD.
I heard it did much better over there in the UK than here in the US. The director speaks of that in the commentaries and pretty much condemns us over here for not being intelligent enough to understand it. I suggest that anyone that sees it to stay away from the added features, because it's a much better movie if you don't learn what the people making it think of you.

It has a very well written script that sometimes could be acted out more convincingly by some of the cast, the music and setting are perfectly set in the 80's and has a few surprises along the way. The ending has a nice bittersweet finality to it too.

The remake of Tears for Fears "Mad World" is the perfect song for this movie and fits so well that if you didn't know better you would swear it was wrote for it.

"Why do you wear that stupid bunny-suit?"
"Why do you wear that stupid man-suit?"

mccombie_5
02-08-06, 12:58 PM
Note the Ford Taurus, fairly new at the time I believe, along with daddys Porsche, odd pair of cars really. 1986 I believe for the Taurus? Set in 88 so maximum of two years old.

I agree in that Mad World could have been made for that film, but today when listening to Head Over Heels on my Bean on the bus, the clsing line is "Funny how...TIME FLIES!!"

Thought that pretty appropriate. Handed the essay in today, and I hope the camerawork and cinematography in my selected sequence was appropriate.

chuckdobbins
02-08-06, 05:42 PM
it didnt go over too well with U.S. audiences i dont think. i have the directors cut, or special edition, whatever its called, with all the bonus features. apparently it was HUGE in england before it was even talked about in the states.

although i think the reason it didnt fit well into the U.S. audience was that nobody wants to think that much when they watch a film. the whole idea of parallel universes threw everyone through a loop so bad that when the end of the movie comes, they went "uh...what?"

i agree though, good movie. it gets better each time you watch it.

Kev
02-08-06, 05:54 PM
it didnt go over too well with U.S. audiences i dont think. i have the directors cut, or special edition, whatever its called, with all the bonus features. apparently it was HUGE in england before it was even talked about in the states.

although i think the reason it didnt fit well into the U.S. audience was that nobody wants to think that much when they watch a film. the whole idea of parallel universes threw everyone through a loop so bad that when the end of the movie comes, they went "uh...what?"

i agree though, good movie. it gets better each time you watch it.Then, there is "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ....... :suspense:

DaveDeVille
02-08-06, 07:14 PM
I love that movie.

"Why do you wear that stupid bunny-suit?"
"Why do you wear that stupid man-suit?"

Classic line!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-08-06, 07:29 PM
Has anyone seen this film? What did you think of it?

I have never seen a more confusing movie in my life! It would probably make more sense if I was on heroin....

mccombie_5
02-08-06, 07:50 PM
THe first time I watched it was during our film lessons, but we only get a lecture and two hours of class a week, so it was broken, making it more confusing.

Ive watched it about 6 times and I get it, but each time you watch it you notice something new!

DaveDeVille
03-05-06, 12:00 AM
I just saw a great movie last night along the lines of Darko. It would be a good one for mccombie to use for class. It's named....11:14.

Jonas McFeely
03-05-06, 07:28 AM
I have never seen a more confusing movie in my life! It would probably make more sense if I was on heroin....

Try acid dude.that movie on acid would be unbareable.Ive seen it probably 3 or 4 times.Crazy movie.It messed with my head for a few days after i saw it.Great movie,a classic.Anyone watch Requiem For A Dream?

mccombie_5
03-05-06, 07:53 AM
I just saw a great movie last night along the lines of Darko. It would be a good one for mccombie to use for class. It's named....11:14.

Thanks Dave! Noted that!

DaveDeVille
03-05-06, 09:47 AM
Hey '85, I lived in Casselberry for a couple years in '99-00. I think it was called Newport Colony, back behind Hooter's. I once saw a wild police chase go by.

Jonas McFeely
03-05-06, 02:19 PM
Hey '85, I lived in Casselberry for a couple years in '99-00. I think it was called Newport Colony, back behind Hooter's. I once saw a wild police chase go by.

Hell yeah! C-BERRY REPREZENT! lol,Yeah i know exactly where newport colony is,me and my buddys used to know the code for the gate last summer,and we'd go in there get drunk and use the hot tub.After awhile people would complain and eventually called the cops.It was fun while it lasted.Bad ass pool though,with the fountain and all that?I dont know if youd remember that.As for the police chase,i havnt seen one since i was 3.I remeber it vividly though.It was female officer chasing a late 80's thunderbird through Deer Run(right off Red Bug Rd and 436).The guy wrecked on some sand and his wheel got burried in it.

Its a small world.

Blackout
03-19-06, 07:11 PM
Well I just got Katshot and Mrs. Katshot to watch Donnie Darko and I think they may have lasted 15-20 minutes before falling asleep on it. I came in and woke them up and made them watch the rest of the movie but at the end thye didn't get it and wanted their 2 hours back. I tried explaining the movie to them but I don't think they really cared. So now Katshot is watching a movie that he finds entertaining........Twister:thepan:

ShadowLvr400
03-20-06, 09:43 AM
I saw Donnie Darko, and found it weird. My girl found it creepy. Felt like an independent film to me. Course I was exhausted at the time, dozed off through part of it.

Katshot
03-20-06, 03:29 PM
I'll take 2 hours of Helen Hunt in a tight white top over that dumb-ass Donnie Darko movie. DAMN that was a stupid movie. And talk about the bonus features, how about the #1 fan. Talk about somebody that should be locked up. :cookoo:

DaveDeVille
03-20-06, 09:08 PM
ouch. How about Jessica Alba plays his sister?