: Turbo STS Dyno results

MARK99STS
02-07-06, 05:36 PM
Well, we took it to the dyno last night.
It did 383hp at the wheels and 417 ft lbs of torque @ 6.9 boost and about 11.2AFR. I still had the slicks on it and the guys there said that if I would have had radials on it and not running so rich, it would have easily done over 400hp. They said the slicks absorb a lot of HP.I would rather run a little rich and be safe than being on the edge. They also said the torque would have been higher if we could have started the pull at about 2500rpm, but we started at 4100 as to make sure it wouldn't downshift since it is an automatic. It hit max torque and max boost instantly.

Dooman
02-07-06, 05:37 PM
Great job, I am impressed..

eldorado1
02-07-06, 07:02 PM
That's about 500 at the crank. Not bad. 11.2 is a little rich. You can push it to 12.0 no problem. Usually you'd want 12.25-12.5:1 for best safest power with boost.

auroradude
02-07-06, 07:45 PM
Holy shit Mark. Excellent job to you and your guys man, that is just insane. I wonder if you are the first turbocharged "daily driver" northstar car out there? Not everyone has that kind of money rolling around, and esp to put in an american huge cadillac. A++

Aurora40
02-07-06, 11:56 PM
That's a really nice flat power curve! That's what sucks about an auto, though, it's hard to get a full picture on the dyno. Were those numbers corrected? Congrats on the run. I can't wait to see the other numbers, the ones from the track. :)

STS 310
02-08-06, 01:24 AM
Very nice MARK I am really impressed with your delving in to this project.

Results are impressive.

auroradude
02-08-06, 02:56 AM
Mark did you videotape that dyno run? I wouldve liked to see that.

Also I think you should take that thing over to some local highway street races or wherever they do it over in bumble ****...sure could make some mustang cobras and chrylser SRT8 hemi C's look stupid...

Guy,mn.usa
02-08-06, 09:43 AM
:hide: whoa man...that is awsome!
Take it to carcraft or write carcraft, they will want to see this thing!
Congrats on the #'s....crazy power man

MARK99STS
02-08-06, 11:26 AM
Mark did you videotape that dyno run? I wouldve liked to see that.

Also I think you should take that thing over to some local highway street races or wherever they do it over in bumble ****...sure could make some mustang cobras and chrylser SRT8 hemi C's look stupid...

We left on such short notice to go to the dyno, I forgot my camera. I plan on going back when I get my radials on it and video it. It's amazing when you're inside on the dyno.

turbojimmy
02-08-06, 11:31 AM
:hide: whoa man...that is awsome!
Take it to carcraft or write carcraft, they will want to see this thing!
Congrats on the #'s....crazy power man

I agree. That's definitely magazine-worthy work. Congrats!

Jim

Guy,mn.usa
02-08-06, 11:39 AM
Hey Mark,
Go to Carcraft's website and look up 15 dyno proven combos...you see my car...my GTO. They put me in the 2003 Dec. issue too...15 proven dyno combos from the Summer Nats and Street nats. I dyno on Westech's dyno the pull to the Nationals. You dyno in front of huge crowds....Look boys no goat piss under that gto. I've since dynoed on a friends New Zelands Dyno pack....the kind of dyno that replace the wheels with dyno pods. No chance of the car coming of the dyno...cheep insurance for the shop also the dyno is exact from run to run so you can tune very accuratly...cool stuff

illumina
02-08-06, 04:29 PM
Isn't there supposed to be some guy that is supposed to post where this dyno run is bullshit? :hmm: :D

turbojimmy
02-08-06, 04:57 PM
Isn't there supposed to be some guy that is supposed to post where this dyno run is bullshit? :hmm: :D

Allow me.

[ Katshot ]It's bullshit I tells ya![ /Katshot ]

Just kidding, Katshot. There's nothing wrong with some healthy skepticism. It keeps gullible guys like me from looking like fools.

Jim

illumina
02-08-06, 05:11 PM
Allow me.

[ Katshot ]It's bullshit I tells ya![ /Katshot ]

Just kidding, Katshot. There's nothing wrong with some healthy skepticism. It keeps gullible guys like me from looking like fools.

Jim

Hey there, I never named any names :leaving: :D

MARK99STS
02-09-06, 10:01 AM
Somebody sent me a PM regarding tunning and the PCM. I accidently deleted it before responding, so if you see this please resend your PM.

Thanks
Mark

MARK99STS
02-09-06, 09:47 PM
Took the car out again today.
I've been driving the car now a little over a week and have put more than 1000 miles on it and it just gets better and better. It's all in the pedal. I have learned how to feather the throttle from a stop just to where the tires break, back off just a bit, get back in it about half and let it shift to 2nd and then hammer it. OH MY GOD it pulls hard. My 60 ft times are going to be unreal with the torque this thing has and the 3600 stall converter. I am learning how to get max power out of it with as little abuse as possible on the tranny.(no WOT up or down shifts). I won't be driving it for a week as the weather is turning bad and I am going to have it completely detailed inside and out in preparation for the car show(Autorama) here on the 17-19) Which I will be a part of.

For those that are seriously interested, we have come up with a price for a full turnkey setup including tunning for $12,000. We have come to the conclusion that it can not be done in pieces or a parts kit as it would have to be so customized for each car that it just wouldn't be feasible. Unfortunately it is that complicated and difficult. It is almost a one of a kind for each car unless it is a 98 or 99. Actually 12 grand is still cheap considering how much time and effort it will take to duplicate the current setup as all the piping has to be hand fabricated and welded.

ELDOminator
02-09-06, 10:26 PM
Is there any way you would beable to give us a kit of all the parts, not including the custom pipes? I could fabricate my own in my automotive classes I think. If not, could you by any chance post the places/prices of each piece you've added? I don't blame you if you can't because it will take a conciderable amount of time for you, and I know you're very busy. But anyway, any specifics would be nice.

turbojimmy
02-10-06, 07:25 AM
My 60 ft times are going to be unreal with the torque this thing has and the 3600 stall converter.

That's going to be your next big challenge, I think. Getting decent 60' times out of a FWD car is going to be tough, even with slicks. Unless you can wind the turbo up against the brake and floor it out of the hole, you're not getting good 60' times. Unlike the Japanese cars you do have some weight up there and can probably get a wider slick than most under there. Those two things should help a lot. Are the differentials on these things 'limited slip'? That helps a lot too.

Personally I'd tune to the MPH at the track first (and indication of power and thus the effectiveness of your tuning) then worry about the launch (which will help your ET).

Good luck!

Jim

auroradude
02-10-06, 10:28 AM
Enjoy that beast Mark and for god's sake dont wreck it or let someone else. If I had that much power daily (not just on weekends with the S-Type R) I would probably do it in at one point. It's too hard keeping your foot out...LOL. You put 1000 miles on in a week?? Thats a lot of driving lol. Do you leave the bumper on?? I hope you were scaring Trans Am's lol

One thing, does insurance cover this "add-on"? While I doubt it, I'd still like to know.

MARK99STS
02-10-06, 10:36 AM
That's going to be your next big challenge, I think. Getting decent 60' times out of a FWD car is going to be tough, even with slicks.
Jim

My best previous 60ft was 2.012. That was with about 24 lbs in the slicks. I figure if I lower the pressure to about 12-14 lbs, I should be able to hook. I am also going to undo the rear sensor for ride height and make the back end go up to max to put as much weight forward as possible.

MARK99STS
02-10-06, 10:41 AM
Enjoy that beast Mark and for god's sake dont wreck it or let someone else. If I had that much power daily (not just on weekends with the S-Type R) I would probably do it in at one point. It's too hard keeping your foot out...LOL. You put 1000 miles on in a week?? Thats a lot of driving lol. Do you leave the bumper on?? I hope you were scaring Trans Am's lol

One thing, does insurance cover this "add-on"? While I doubt it, I'd still like to know.

It will be hard to keep my foot out of it, but I won't be driving it every day, as I have a daily driver for that. It will be for weekend "trolling" for the unsuspecting. The bumper has been off for tunning, but it will go back on to not draw to much attention.

I am going to call my insurance agent about extra coverage. I will let you know on that.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-10-06, 11:57 AM
Wow man that sounds awesome!

What did the Northstars dyno stock? like 250hp?

MARK99STS
02-10-06, 12:03 PM
Wow man that sounds awesome!

What did the Northstars dyno stock? like 250hp?

I believe stock is around 220. I had mine at the dyno before we started the project and it was 250, but that was with the Corsa exhaust and cold air induction.

AlBundy
02-10-06, 10:15 PM
As far as mounting alot of mechanics around the bumper I understand because on my 96ESC there is a big empty void that screams use me. Now is there a problem with the bumper on or is this a lets see if we can find a better way to help it breath. I would love to have a sleeper that looks like the factory car and my name is not Katshot(get off him, he is a valuable member to this forum).