: test drove rs6 + c55 + srt-8 300

moldowan
02-07-06, 03:53 PM
I've been bored lately so I have been doing some test spins-LOL

The audi was the best, Its acceleration seemed on par if not faster than the V, But the handeling was WAY inferior!!!!! (mine has fg-2 with the hotchkiss sways). Had a great exhaust note with lots of low end grunt. the auto tranny was really nice! It rev matched in sport mode. If I was to get rid of the V for an auto car this would be it.

The c55 was small and the accelleration was not impressive, the tranny sucked IMHO.

The srt-8 was the biggest disapointment, Acceleration seemed poor and the feel of the car was BIG and HEAVY!!!! Although the road holding was there, the feel wasn't.
Bottom line none of these car have the fun factor or exhilleration of the V

Booyah,
-Moldy

DrivingAmericanNow
02-07-06, 04:41 PM
Nice reviews. I'm surprized people aren't jumping into this post. All those cars are great competitors and it's good to hear how they compare to the V.

urbanski
02-07-06, 05:07 PM
lol moldy

:cheers:

ace996
02-07-06, 05:34 PM
Can't compare a stock RS6 to V with FG2s and sways...the difference between a stock V and FG2 V is very different, forget the sways...that must be fantastic.
The RS6 with a nice set of bilsteins or coilovers and sways would be a tough act to follow anywhere...just ask Michael Galati....
-ace

CVP33
02-07-06, 06:11 PM
The SRT-8 does feel big and slow until you learn how the ESP system works. Also, assuming you drove a new one (i.e. less than 100 miles on the odometer), Daimler Chrysler has confirgured in a breakin logarithm into the transmission to make the shifts softer during the first 5,000 miles. I'm told that the car "wakes up" after these 5,000 miles. I can also tell you that my SRT-8 is definitely not slower than my V. In fact in most cases it's faster. Not as easy to hustle through the twisties but definitely faster than my V.

DaveBlk
02-07-06, 06:25 PM
Drove an SRT-8 Also. Wasn't impressed at all !! No fun just a big heavy car .. If i wanted that i'll buy another 403 horse 07 escalade!! it will also get more looks. people still see the 300 as an old persons car !!! AND I'm not there yet :shhh:

Seattle CTS-V
02-07-06, 06:38 PM
I actually believe people think of Cadillac as being an old person car more than the Chrysler products - especially the 300 which is all over MTV in hip-hop videos.

BadCad
02-07-06, 06:47 PM
people think of Cadillac as being an old person car
:dammit: dat is true... V hasn't helped much to date.

dannystang
02-07-06, 06:58 PM
The SRT-8 does feel big and slow until you learn how the ESP system works. Also, assuming you drove a new one (i.e. less than 100 miles on the odometer), Daimler Chrysler has confirgured in a breakin logarithm into the transmission to make the shifts softer during the first 5,000 miles. I'm told that the car "wakes up" after these 5,000 miles. I can also tell you that my SRT-8 is definitely not slower than my V. In fact in most cases it's faster. Not as easy to hustle through the twisties but definitely faster than my V.

Wait a second...

CVP that means you traded in the V for a SRT-8???

Oh man, thats like when Hugh Grant gave up screwing liz hurley for some dirty aleged prostitute...

GNSCOTT
02-07-06, 07:26 PM
THe SRT-8 is not as nible as a CTS-V the same way a CTS-V is not as nimble as an M3. M3 owners say the same thing after driving a V for the first time, and I would bet you say the same after driving an STS-V. There is also alot more head and shoulder room in the 300 that gives more of an illusion of the car not handeling as well, but at the same time is makes the 300 feel more classy and luxurious, rather than a more confined and strapped in sporty feel in the V.

04CTSVFLA
02-07-06, 07:43 PM
I had someone with an m3 drive my car for the first time....he didnt want to get out!!!

CVP33
02-07-06, 07:53 PM
I'm going to post a fair comparison of the two vehicles in the lounge. I've driven 50,000 V miles and almost 1,000 SRT-8 miles. Stay tuned.

Got5onit
02-07-06, 07:58 PM
Thanks for teh reviews. I really love the new Audi's. Pricey, though.

blackonblackonblack
02-08-06, 05:29 AM
The M3, C55, and RS6 are all great cars. The only reason I purchased my V over the C55 was because I could get the Maggie for 6-7 grand or I could get the RENNTECH blower for the 55 for closer to 20.

A good friend of mine has had his C55 for 1/2 a year now, and the only time it saw the shop was for an oil change and to replace a xenon bulb as opposed to 2 differentials, 1 throttle body, 1 ECM, and 1 driveshaft. I have not driven any cars from the SRT line so I can not say anything about them, but as an enthusiast you should take the 55 through some mountain roads with the ESP off and not tell me you'll get a big smile.

SRT8/BMW
02-08-06, 09:27 AM
I've been bored lately so I have been doing some test spins-LOL

The audi was the best, Its acceleration seemed on par if not faster than the V, But the handeling was WAY inferior!!!!! (mine has fg-2 with the hotchkiss sways). Had a great exhaust note with lots of low end grunt. the auto tranny was really nice! It rev matched in sport mode. If I was to get rid of the V for an auto car this would be it.

The c55 was small and the accelleration was not impressive, the tranny sucked IMHO.

The srt-8 was the biggest disapointment, Acceleration seemed poor and the feel of the car was BIG and HEAVY!!!! Although the road holding was there, the feel wasn't.
Bottom line none of these car have the fun factor or exhilleration of the V

Booyah,
-Moldy

I have driven the V and own the SRT8. I can see where the V would make most any car not feel as good in the handling- -it was like on rails.

However, the most surprising perfromance aspect of the srt8- which stock is every bit as fast as the V--is the handling. In no way does it feel heavy--check out its slalom times. It comes short of the V, but beats anything else out there in its class, by a wide margin.

There is nothing heavy feeling about this car...oh...and since I can't drive manual (as much as I'd like to, it is not realistic where I drive) I feel like I am going to have a very hard time finding an auto as smooth/fast as the srt8 one from benz...

I am actually interested in the STS-v for my next, but need to drive one soon. The tranny is getting very mixed reviews...

SRT8/BMW
02-08-06, 09:42 AM
Drove an SRT-8 Also. Wasn't impressed at all !! No fun just a big heavy car .. If i wanted that i'll buy another 403 horse 07 escalade!! it will also get more looks. people still see the 300 as an old persons car !!! AND I'm not there yet :shhh:

Your kidding right...comparing the slow as molasses Escalade to a car running 4.6-4.8 0-60, and quarter in 12.7-13.4...stock?? Whats the Escalade...8 seconds or something?

Why would anyone look at one of those ugly things either??? a, slow, heavy, rattle filled box on wheels. Hell the yukon (same vehicle basically) is at least nice looking...

GNSCOTT
02-08-06, 09:47 AM
I have driven the V and own the SRT8. I can see where the V would make most any car not feel as good in the handling- -it was like on rails.

However, the most surprising perfromance aspect of the srt8- which stock is every bit as fast as the V--is the handling. In no way does it feel heavy--check out its slalom times. It comes short of the V, but beats anything else out there in its class, by a wide margin.

There is nothing heavy feeling about this car...oh...and since I can't drive manual (as much as I'd like to, it is not realistic where I drive) I feel like I am going to have a very hard time finding an auto as smooth/fast as the srt8 one from benz...

I am actually interested in the STS-v for my next, but need to drive one soon. The tranny is getting very mixed reviews...

It has a heavier feeling compared to the CTS-V. There is no way anyone with an equilibreum (sp) and has driven both alot couldn't tell. Handeling and feeling heavier are 2 different things. An M5 feels heavier than an M3 even though the handeling is similar.

10secvette
02-08-06, 09:47 AM
I had someone with an m3 drive my car for the first time....he didnt want to get out!!!

Had to be the "free revs".

Signed,
"Free Revs"

SRT8/BMW
02-08-06, 09:55 AM
It has a heavier feeling compared to the CTS-V. There is no way anyone with an equilibreum (sp) and has driven both alot couldn't tell. Handeling and feeling heavier are 2 different things. An M5 feels heavier than an M3 even though the handeling is similar.

agreed...

Deuuuce
03-04-06, 04:10 AM
Escalades are SO ghetto. C&D called the SRT-8's agility at Grattan (while .9 AHEAD of a STS-V) "revelatory". But the CTS-V will beat it at the Nurburgring, I'm sure. Both nice cars, got on here because my buddy has a V and we like to give each other a hard time. Thanks!