: Idea for a new hood ornament...

weister42
02-07-06, 01:51 AM
Since my last one got stolen I thought about having one custom made at a metal machine shop. I want to make the edges really sharp so the next idiot who tries to yank it off will get their hands cut:lildevil: Good idea? Is it against the law?

Night Wolf
02-07-06, 06:54 AM
not agaisnt the law that I know of...

and you don't need to get one special made... just have the wreath filed down....

but do you really think if someone cuts their hand they are gonna simply move on, or end up with a baseball bat thru the windsheild/dent the car etc...?

If it bothers you alot.. just get a Concourse grille and fille the hole on the hood :)

davesdeville
02-08-06, 06:59 AM
Just use a car alarm and mount a shock sensor near or on the underside of the ornamint. Then when the alarm goes off, go beat whoever did it with a bat or something.

Ranger
02-19-06, 10:46 PM
You could rig it to the horn or to give a good electrical jolt, but as mentioned you'll likely suffer more damage from an angry thief.

Zorb750
02-20-06, 05:32 AM
I worked out how to do that for a 1980s Mercedes 300SD. It's not hard to do. Use inside from power inverter, a limit switch attatched to the spring holding the ornament straight, and a rubber gromet to insulate the ornament from the hood.

You connect the AC positive from the inverter to the ornament's spring, a plastic bladed limit switch activates a small DC relay ($5 Radio Shack cheapo) and one of the pocket sized 50 or 75 watt inverters.

Only danger is if the person has a pacemaker or something, but dad, mom, grandpa, grandma aren't the ones stealing your ornamentation.

I tried to figure out how to adapt it to the BMW's model number on the back, but have not figured a way. Mine's been stolen 6 times all within a mile area.