: Curious: Would a '96 HU work in a '95?

caddycruiser
02-06-06, 09:34 PM
Just wondering, as the actual face and functions are a little different on the '96 Fleetwood head units, are the plugs and other stuff on the back unique to that model year or would one also work in a '95 without modification?

Anyone know?

ocjmakaveli
02-07-06, 12:39 AM
whats different about them?

N0DIH
02-07-06, 01:52 AM
Try car-part.com and see if it lists multiple years for that part.

Night Wolf
02-07-06, 06:46 AM
They are the same.

caddycruiser
02-07-06, 09:04 AM
Try car-part.com and see if it lists multiple years for that part.

Yeah, that's what I had thought to do. Here's the difference:
'93-95:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/95radio.jpg

'96
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/96radio.jpg

I know there's a difference, for sure, in the plugs on a '93 and late '94, versus other '94s and '95s, at least from what I've seen on the net. I just didn't know if the '96, which got a redesigned unit was different as far as the plugs.

I'm also wondering--anyone with the stock '96 unit still that is satisfied with it? The '95 cassette unit in mine works fine so far, but just in case I stumble upon a spare for cheap, that's why I'm asking.

I think one of the main functionalitiy differences are that the earlier ones have the buttons "A-B-C-D-E" to select a preset tone, and then the '96 just got a bass and treble knob (I think).

caddycruiser
02-07-06, 11:49 AM
Actually, just did run a quick Car-Part search, and when I put in for a '95 radio, I get back only '94 and '95 models, which I know are the same. No '96s.

Not sure if that's just because the face is different and they classify it differently, or if the plugs are also different. I just remember someone saying they were somewhere, but I don't know where that was.

They are the same.
So you're sure the plugs on the back are? That's all I care about.

Night Wolf
02-07-06, 11:55 AM
Yeah, its the typical GM connectors.... only difference would be if one is Blose and the other isn't etc...

caddycruiser
02-07-06, 11:57 AM
Yeah, its the typical GM connectors.... only difference would be if one is Blose and the other isn't etc...

Okay, thanks:thumbsup:

N0DIH
02-07-06, 12:26 PM
Send an IM to youbetcha77, he had one he bought off eBay for his FWD and it was the wrong one, but it might be the right one for your app. See if he still has it, he has good detailed pictures. Looks to be a similar unit to the 94 that I have but has sliders for treble/bass not EQ buttons.

ocjmakaveli
02-07-06, 04:59 PM
I would recommend get the cd/cassette fleet stereo instead.

there's a high chance it's not compatible

I like the 96 a lot more the 94 stereo is really ugly and old looking

caddycruiser
02-07-06, 06:10 PM
I would recommend get the cd/cassette fleet stereo instead.

there's a high chance it's not compatible

I like the 96 a lot more the 94 stereo is really ugly and old looking

Well, that's the goal, to get a CD/cassette combo version, which is why, in case I'd stumble upon a '96 one (which does look a lot nicer), that I wanted to know if it might work.

I'll research it a bit more, I think, to see if I can dig up what I read a while ago about the wiring differences in a '96.

N0DIH
02-07-06, 07:51 PM
I have a nice 2000 Grand Prix CD (no cassette) but I don't know if it will work in a Cad, the red display is not "cadillacish".... It worked fine in my 91 Bonneville for a long time.

ocjmakaveli
02-07-06, 10:12 PM
the fsm should have a pick of the connector and how many wires it uses so if someone posts a pic of the 96 model it should solve this issue

ill try and post a pic from the 94 if i can find the page with the pics of the connector with wires