: Air Bag it or Stock Cadi Ride, 68' Fleetwood

Lskustumz
02-06-06, 06:43 PM
I am in a bit of a dilemma, I am trying to decide whether or not I should bag my 1968 Fleetwood Brougham or leave the suspension as it is, low, but stock. It has a great body, stock wheels and caps, system, tweed interior, engine runs like a champ, but I don't kow if I should bag it and need some opinions.

Mr_Bam
02-06-06, 09:10 PM
What do you want it to do? How much are you looking to spend? DYI or pay to play?
You could just lower the suspension, oil operated, or gas operated... All 3 aren't tough and all 3 can be done without any adverse affects if planned right :thumbsup:

86fleetwoodryda87
02-06-06, 09:31 PM
BAG IT!!!! But do it classy style not no extreme body drops!!!

BluEyes
02-07-06, 08:26 AM
My preference is for normal springs. No particular reason, guess I don't like seeing all the people with the cars dropped to the ground.
I'd keep the ride with at least 4" of ground clearance. Especially with such a long chassis, that's plenty low for driving in the real world with speedbumps and badly designed parking lots.

Katshot
02-07-06, 09:07 AM
Unless you have a specific reason for bagging the car, I'd avoid it. I know a couple guys that did it and have had numerous headaches from it. Of course they "put up with it" because they NEED that "low-rider" look. IMO, it adds a lot of complexity and weight to the car, and unless you "gotta have it", I'd stay away from it.

davesdeville
02-08-06, 06:49 AM
I'm curious, how much weight would it end up adding to the car? The heavy parts would be compressor and tank, which I would expect to be ~100 or so lbs. But then again I have no idea really.

nixon186
02-08-06, 05:00 PM
first of all your car has 525 ft lbs of torque. second of all airbag setup isn't much weight at all. i bagged my 68 sedan deville in about two weeks.i have pics of my install and i can answer any questions if you decide to do it. look how sick a caddy is laid out ........

nixon186
02-08-06, 05:06 PM
BTW... you can get the kit from suicidedoors.com for about 1200 bucks. a circus chimp can do the welding and you only have to cut an inch out of the front spring pockets to clear the bags. this is the first car i've ever bagged had a lot of fun doing it. i know its hard to cut up a perfect, beautiful car but you only live once. i bought mine with full intentions of bagging it and i even thought twice after i got her home. if you could only see the looks on peoples faces when you slam the car to the ground...... priceless.

Lskustumz
02-15-06, 12:56 PM
That is true. I do know how to cut and weld and have done airbag systems on mini trucks so its pretty much the same. But what about all the problems? I guess I can't see myself justifying buying a welder and oxy-acetelyne system just for one car. I have gotten quotes for the labor from 2,500-3,500 for a FBSS system. Did you put shocks on it? If so where? many questions. Thanks again!

nixon186
02-15-06, 06:59 PM
i agree as far as buying equipment your only going to use once. all you need is a decent mig welder so try to find someone who will let you use theres. i only drove my car for three weeks before i locked it up in my garage for the winter. i didn't do front shocks but the original shocks bolted right back up to the rear. it rides really good too. if ou,ve done an air setup on a mini truck this would be easy. my opinion......find a friend with a welder.

lacmang
02-16-06, 03:07 AM
I want to get air bags too, I love the way it looks dropped. My car looks a lil' lower than stock but, my back end got a lil messed up leaving a shitty parking lot downtown. If I had air I could of raised it. Either way it shouldn't have happened. Somehow it messed up 1 of my tail lights. damn I was pissed and still am.

Lskustumz
02-16-06, 04:38 PM
That is true about the mig welder, but in truth, what would I actually be welding, the linkages are already there in the rear, would it be just to mount the valves, or is there reinforcing that would be needed? Also, what cutting (overall) would be needed? How much? I mean I'm not secting the rear end like my S10 was but still. How much would have to come off of the spring pockets in front? Thanks again for all your opinions!

nixon186
02-16-06, 06:10 PM
i got the do it yourself cup kit from suicidedoors.com so i had to cut the tubing to the right size then weld the bag plate to it. that was for the upper brackets. for the bottom front i just welded the bag plates to the lower arm and notched it so i could tighten the nuts. for the rear lower i ground the stock spring perches flat and welded bag plates to those. it really wasn't a lot of welding. the spring pockets need about an inch or so trimmed out. i have pics on my other computer of my front. i'll post them tonight. the only other cutting i had to do was the bumpstops and the trunk so you can access the upper cup/airline.

Mr_Bam
02-16-06, 08:21 PM
Unless you have a specific reason for bagging the car, I'd avoid it. I know a couple guys that did it and have had numerous headaches from it. Of course they "put up with it" because they NEED that "low-rider" look. IMO, it adds a lot of complexity and weight to the car, and unless you "gotta have it", I'd stay away from it.

I had an 84 CDV with bags that would bunny hop the entire car ~6" and 3 wheel both directions that I installed on the car with ~40,xxx... I traded the car off at ~120,xxx with no problems with it and being HARD on it... He still has the car with ~180,xxx on it and has never had a problem (other than replacing a fuse)

Just don't HALFAZZ any project and it'll last :lildevil: