: what's your reaction when...

AirJigga25
02-06-06, 11:20 AM
you are driving around a bend or come up over a rise and there is this dude standing next to a crown victoria with this speed gun aimed right at you!

one of the worst feelings that you can feel in my book...

especially when he points at you motioning for you to pull over

worst feeling ever...

speed traps SUCK!

OffThaHorseCEO
02-06-06, 11:30 AM
dang i've never been in that situation, but i bet its the same or close to the feelin i had when i had a suspended license, but no one who could take me to work, and i HAD to get to work, and id pull around a bend and see police lights and would think its a license checkpoint. this bad bad sinkin feelin.

caddydaddy
02-06-06, 11:31 AM
yeah, that sucks! Drive slower, then it won't happen! :)

AirJigga25
02-06-06, 11:34 AM
you are driving around a bend or come up over a rise and there is this dude standing next to a crown victoria with this speed gun aimed right at you!

worst feeling ever...

speed traps SUCK!

yes i need to drive slower or get a nice radar detector. Stupid cop gave me a ticket for 57 in a 35, and i swear i wasn't going 57. However, the process of appealing tickets in massachusetts is so messed up. I called a statey I know who might be able to get me out of it...

nothing good can come out of getting speeding tickets...

EcSTSatic
02-06-06, 12:01 PM
yes i need to drive slower or get a nice radar detector.

There is no "or" decision. If he is using Laser, he can turn it on as soon as he sees you. The detector will not help you in that situation because there is no time to react and slow down. Detectors are only good in an "always on" situation which are getting more rare unless they are there just to slow drivers down and not really interested in catching anyone.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-06-06, 12:50 PM
Jigga, was this in the Eldo?

Theres this road in Eagan thats pretty busy, its a 50mph speed limit, one lane in each direction, pretty curvy, it cuts in and out of the woods. Anyways, my friend is going about 57 down this road, in his black 1998 Ford Ranger 4x2 two summers ago. Cops going the opposite way, sees him, pulls a u-turn (very hard to do on this road) goes after my friend and pulls him over and gives him a ticket.

Last summer, I'm going down this road the opposite way of my friend. I'm doing 60 in a 50, I get around this curve and see a cop standing by his bike with a radar gun. I freak out and tap the brakes down to 55MPH. Cop sees me, radars me and then gives me the signal to slow down!

I think it was partially because I was driving a "granny car" and from my experiences, and what I've heard, If you're driving a "granny car" the cops tend to ignore your "careless" driving.

AirJigga25
02-06-06, 12:58 PM
Jigga, was this in the Eldo?

Theres this road in Eagan thats pretty busy, its a 50mph speed limit, one lane in each direction, pretty curvy, it cuts in and out of the woods. Anyways, my friend is going about 57 down this road, in his black 1998 Ford Ranger 4x2 two summers ago. Cops going the opposite way, sees him, pulls a u-turn (very hard to do on this road) goes after my friend and pulls him over and gives him a ticket.

Last summer, I'm going down this road the opposite way of my friend. I'm doing 60 in a 50, I get around this curve and see a cop standing by his bike with a radar gun. I freak out and tap the brakes down to 55MPH. Cop sees me, radars me and then gives me the signal to slow down!

I think it was partially because I was driving a "granny car" and from my experiences, and what I've heard, If you're driving a "granny car" the cops tend to ignore your "careless" driving.

no, no way i was driving the eldo. It is garaged for the winter.

My daily driver is a 2003 Accord coupe V6 EX... it gets me in trouble but besides that has been a very good car so far.

Kev
02-06-06, 04:06 PM
I have yet to be pulled over in the 89 SDV, not to say that I haven't deserved to be. I have calmed my driving habits down also, the Caddy is a very relaxing car to drive. Like I~LUV~Caddys8792 said, I think I was passed by because of the car and the color (antelope?). I was pulled over numerous times in the Mustang (all deserved) and actually let off with a warning at least two times which is somewhat rare for CHP. Usually if they take the trouble of pulling you over they ticket you.

I think the fact that I pulled over immediately, was friendly and respectful help my cause. One time the officer sat and talked with me about the Mustangs for about 20 min, I was in no particular hurry, it was quite enjoyable, he was a nice guy.

El Dobro
02-06-06, 04:56 PM
I was tearing through Pennsy one time and I saw a car way up ahead of me hit his brakes when he rounded a blind curve. To play it safe, I stomped on my brakes and got the speed down. Sure enough, there was Smokey with a handheld pointing straight at me. I went by with a grin on my face.

EcSTSatic
02-06-06, 05:36 PM
I was tearing through Pennsy one time and I saw a car way up ahead of me hit his brakes when he rounded a blind curve. To play it safe, I stomped on my brakes and got the speed down. Sure enough, there was Smokey with a handheld pointing straight at me. I went by with a grin on my face.

You are wise my young Jedi.
That's my standard tactic - let the real speeders smoke them out. Just watch for brake lights ahead.

AirJigga25
02-06-06, 05:48 PM

watching other cars' brake lights it a great method of avoiding tickets on the highway... it works great. You can be going past a "cop stop" (what i like to all them) and if the other car is speeding and doesn't tap the brakes ahead of you, you can me 95% sure, there isn't a porker parked there.

actually, i respect most cops. Just not the ones who conduct speed traps...thats totally unfair man!

Kev
02-06-06, 06:32 PM
watching other cars' brake lights it a great method of avoiding tickets on the highway... it works great. You can be going past a "cop stop" (what i like to all them) and if the other car is speeding and doesn't tap the brakes ahead of you, you can me 95% sure, there isn't a porker parked there.

actually, i respect most cops. Just not the ones who conduct speed traps...thats totally unfair man!If that's true you may want to reconsider using the term "porker" for police officers, someone might get the wrong impression.
Just a thought.

eldorado99
02-06-06, 08:22 PM
This thread gave me a thought, I should buy a Crown Vic and paint it black, then sit on a bend, and point a hairdryer at passing cars! :D

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-06-06, 08:54 PM
This thread gave me a thought, I should buy a Crown Vic and paint it black, then sit on a bend, and point a hairdryer at passing cars! :D

My friend did something like that with his beige '93 Crown Vic.
He put a flashing light on his dash and he would pull people over. Turns out someone knew this was a joke and they called the cops, and gave him his licence plate numbers. I think the cops came out and talked to my friend or gave him a ticket or somthing. Either way, he never did that again.

Kev
02-06-06, 09:16 PM
He put a flashing light on his dash and he would pull people over. Turns out someone knew this was a joke and they called the cops, and gave him his licence plate numbers. I think the cops came out and talked to my friend or gave him a ticket or somthing. Either way, he never did that again.Yeah, that's quite the Bozo-no-no in most municipalities!
I knew a kid way back when I was a teenager that got pulled over and searched for a siren. This kid would stick his head out the window and very loudly yell; "Weeeoooop!" he was so loud that the cops really thought he had a siren in the car! LOL!

Krashed989
02-06-06, 09:48 PM

worst feeling ever...

speed traps SUCK!

That happened to me once... But I'm friends with most of the cops in my area, so he let me off with a warning... :D :halo:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-06-06, 09:56 PM
Whats a worse feeling?
Knowing you're gonna get pulled over, or knowing you're gonna get into an accident?

CTS4Chiefy
02-06-06, 10:04 PM
yes i need to drive slower or get a nice radar detector. Stupid cop gave me a ticket for 57 in a 35, and i swear i wasn't going 57. However, the process of appealing tickets in massachusetts is so messed up. I called a statey I know who might be able to get me out of it...

nothing good can come out of getting speeding tickets...
He has to show you his radar gun if you ask for it, and if the speed isn't on there, he can't ticket you. :p ;)

CTS4Chiefy
02-06-06, 10:05 PM
Whats a worse feeling?
Knowing you're gonna get pulled over, or knowing you're gonna get into an accident?
Accident... insurance, damage, pissed off other driver.

With a ticket, you just pay, and unlike an accident, at least there's a chance the officer will let you off w/ a warning or cut down the fine... in an accident, they can't say "Well, ok, since you have no prior crashes, you only have to pay for half of the damage you did." lol not to mention you can appear a ticket, you can't appear an accident.

Adam
02-06-06, 10:08 PM
He put a flashing light on his dash and he would pull people over. Turns out someone knew this was a joke and they called the cops, and gave him his licence plate numbers. I think the cops came out and talked to my friend or gave him a ticket or somthing. Either way, he never did that again.

wow, if he did something like that around here he would have gone to jail for impersonating an officer. thats a felony down here.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-06-06, 10:13 PM
Accident... insurance, damage, pissed off other driver.

With a ticket, you just pay, and unlike an accident, at least there's a chance the officer will let you off w/ a warning or cut down the fine... in an accident, they can't say "Well, ok, since you have no prior crashes, you only have to pay for half of the damage you did." lol not to mention you can appear a ticket, you can't appear an accident.

True, but what if you dont hit another car. Instead you hit a guardrail like I did. Where it was partially unavoidable, and the insurance wasn't involved. And even my parents werent angry, which really surprised me.

Adam
02-06-06, 10:23 PM
He has to show you his radar gun if you ask for it, and if the speed isn't on there, he can't ticket you. :p ;)

not true, some states they dont have to show you the radar. TN for example does not have to.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-06-06, 10:25 PM
wow, if he did something like that around here he would have gone to jail for impersonating an officer. thats a felony down here.

I think the only reason he didnt get arrested was because he was like 16 at the time.

Adam
02-06-06, 10:33 PM
I think the only reason he didnt get arrested was because he was like 16 at the time.

ah, lucked out. could still have got into some big trouble. there was a guy who dress like a JAG officer and went to a court and... oh wait, he was dressed as a female JAG officer and not in a military uniform... thats Federal right there, he is gonna be locked up for 5-15 for that one... anyway he was found out (trying to get his boyfriend out of jail).

CTS4Chiefy
02-06-06, 11:29 PM
True, but what if you dont hit another car. Instead you hit a guardrail like I did. Where it was partially unavoidable, and the insurance wasn't involved. And even my parents werent angry, which really surprised me.
In that case, I'd take the accident. But for the general car-to-car crash, I'd take a ticket.

Krashed989
02-06-06, 11:40 PM
In that case, I'd take the accident. But for the general car-to-car crash, I'd take a ticket.

I'll drive safely, How bout that! ;)

AirJigga25
02-07-06, 10:23 AM
That happened to me once... But I'm friends with most of the cops in my area, so he let me off with a warning... :D :halo:

lucky you. My buddy who I play ball with...his cousin is a statey so i faxed a copy of the ticket to him to see if he could get me off... we'll see...

AirJigga25
02-07-06, 10:29 AM
I was trying to describe the feeling when a cop nabs you and you really really can not afford a ticket. In my case i don't want the points and my insurance to go up for the next 5 years, i don't care about the fine.

So you see the cop, he nails you, and you are like FUUUUUUUUU****kkkk , caught red handed and your stomach does a back flip, and the officer comes up to your window immediately and watches you fumble around trying to get your license and registration and says "I'll be right back" and the whole time you're waiting there it seems like you're getting ass raped, and he doesn't come right back, he takes his sweet time and comes back 15 minutes later and says , you have the right to appeal and slow down, you can't get a word in sideways.... you drive away and feel like a little 12 year old who just got spanked, and it ruins your day, etc. That's the reaction I had...

anyway, i'm going to drive slower for at least a month or more... :annoyed: