: Lexus 4.6L v8 making 380hp??

1fastSTS
02-05-06, 04:55 PM
ok now im really pised off...what the hell is cadillac doing wrong that they cant squeeze out 380hp or more like the lexus is with the same exact displacement....as most GM engines its basic pushrod technology which would make me understand why they couldnt achieve high HP...but this 4.6L northstar is a 32V DOHC engine!!! only 320??? god damn caddy...get ur head in the game!!!

krypt
02-05-06, 07:37 PM
That's because the new 4.6L engine from Lexus features Direct Injection. The northstar will be making 380 if not more in 2 years. (2008 model year). We don't know what the 2007 changes will be, but I doubt direct injection will be added.

davesdeville
02-06-06, 06:17 AM
Does it really matter when you can go buy a blown 4.4 in an STS-V or XLR-V?

Lexus doesn't have a 469hp motor. Damn it Lexus get your head in the game...

Katshot
02-06-06, 08:13 AM
Does it really matter when you can go buy a blown 4.4 in an STS-V or XLR-V?

Lexus doesn't have a 469hp motor. Damn it Lexus get your head in the game...

I think you're missing his point. You can't compare the S/C Northstar to a N/A Lexus engine. That's apples to oranges. Be fair.

caddydaddy
02-06-06, 02:40 PM
It's a never ending HP war! 10 years ago, Cadillacs were hot with 300 HP, now that's nothing! Now we have Hyundais that put out almost that much.

94CaddyConcours
02-11-06, 05:20 PM
Yep yep yep, I read an article couple week ago ib autoweek and felt like my N* is a piece of junk. Oh well I still like it, Only 100 more horspower. More importantly its a Cadillac

Cadillacboy
02-11-06, 07:31 PM
For instance STS-V seemed to be underpowered but let's not forget , Cadillac gives you more MPG than other competitors plus you get more comfortable car and it's like all in one so to say .I mean it is sport car when you need , a luxury sedan when it is supposed to be .

davesdeville
02-12-06, 06:15 AM
I think you're missing his point. You can't compare the S/C Northstar to a N/A Lexus engine. That's apples to oranges. Be fair.

That's true and all, but I don't have to be totally fair when Lexus doesn't offer a blown motor.

1fastSTS
02-14-06, 09:18 AM
ya know whats the crappy thing....when did the 300HP N* come out...in 92 or something? so after more than 10 yrs, we gained 20 more HP??? hahah are you kiddin me....

Caddy Man
02-14-06, 06:10 PM
That's because the new 4.6L engine from Lexus features Direct Injection. The northstar will be making 380 if not more in 2 years. (2008 model year). We don't know what the 2007 changes will be, but I doubt direct injection will be added.
what i dont get it, why do we have to wait 2 mroe years for them to make 380, why cant cadillac do something major FIRST. Why do they always lag on whats going on. Sure they get it, but after 2 some model years. Why cant cadillac set a standard isntead of always playing catch up.

Swine
02-15-06, 10:03 PM
That Lexus STARTS at 60k.

Loaded, you'll be close to 80k (LS460)

Gee, it's a brand new engine making over 90HP than the previous generation. Maybe ownerrs of 06 models should be bitching!

Are these cars even in the same category? We're talking about $400 for every extra HP! Those are some expensive ponies!!!:eek:

Haleykeek
02-16-06, 09:08 PM
could it be,or is it possible to upstroke the NorthStar V8 to 5.4Litres? yes i love blowers on Caddies,and they sound sweet. but it would be nice for Cadillac to go with a bigger engine with at least 425bhp and in a naturally aspirated design.

Katshot
02-17-06, 08:47 AM
How about the return of the 368 to the Cadillac line-up?

Zorb750
02-18-06, 05:17 AM
could it be,or is it possible to upstroke the NorthStar V8 to 5.4Litres? yes i love blowers on Caddies,and they sound sweet. but it would be nice for Cadillac to go with a bigger engine with at least 425bhp and in a naturally aspirated design.

This isn't FORD. It is below Cadillac's standard to increase power to simply increase the size of an engine. Besides, what would that increase in stroke do to piston speeds? Northstar is a high rev engine. Such a stroke increase would make that difficult.

davesdeville
02-18-06, 06:30 AM
This isn't FORD. It is below Cadillac's standard to increase power to simply increase the size of an engine. Besides, what would that increase in stroke do to piston speeds? Northstar is a high rev engine. Such a stroke increase would make that difficult.

I wouldn't say it's below Cadillac's standard... we did it in the 70s until we had the largest displacement V8 ever in a production passenger car. Worked pretty well too if I do say so myself.

But you make a good point, I don't suppose tacking on extra stroke would be too bad since we already have forged rods but I don't think 5.4L would be easy.

We could use that 7.5L XV12. :thumbsup:

1fastSTS
02-19-06, 07:02 PM
i dont care if lexus is more expensive...they are both 4.6L engines. red light to redlight who would win..most likely the lexus, 4.6 to 4.6 and thats just dissapointing! like i said previously, its not like we are dealing with a basic pushrod motor here...we have a 32V DOHC engine. whatever lexus is doing, we should have done a while ago to make 300hp turn into 400hp especially after 10 yrs, and how the HP war seems to be back again!

Seattle CTS-V
03-01-06, 07:21 PM
380hp from a V8 is no big deal...what about 333 from a 3.2L inline 6 ala E46 M3's??? How about 240hp from a 2.0L (now 2.2L) 4-banger ala S2000? For the target market, I'm sure Cadillac figured 320hp was plenty for now. Now the real question is why didn't the '06 CTS-V get the LS7?

Besides, it isn't all about HP. What about torque in these 2 motors (you look it up cuz I'm too lazy). Also, look at power:weight ratio if you wanna guess who will win in a street race (if you really feel the need to race your STS).

JLaws
03-02-06, 09:54 AM
Check it with aftermarket wheels. :thumbsup:

I had an Ls430 and it was the best vehicle I've ever owned. Plenty of technology, easy to use navigation. I never got what people meant by a vehicle not having a soul. Just because it's so damn quiet and soft over bumps? It is a "luxury car." There are plenty of aftermarket exhaust, air intakes, to make the engine roar. Lowering kits and wheels to make it handle better and body kits to make it look more aggressive all for a reasonable budget.
The new LS460L will be the next level with techology similar to the new Benz S550 but for much less. I hear it will have the new auto parallel park feature !!

Zorb750
03-04-06, 01:42 PM
BMW's 333HP 3.2 inline 6 has no torque though, and what there is is all high end. Great for a little lightweight car (fairly lightweight - the 3 is heavy for its size) but if you put that in your Cadillac it would be ... lethargic.

davesdeville
03-05-06, 05:56 AM
I never got what people meant by a vehicle not having a soul. Just because it's so damn quiet and soft over bumps? It is a "luxury car."

I'm not gonna try to explain soul to you. But Caddys and Lincolns have plenty of soul, and they glide silently and softly over bumps too. So that's not it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-05-06, 04:49 PM
I'm not gonna try to explain soul to you. But Caddys and Lincolns have plenty of soul, and they glide silently and softly over bumps too. So that's not it.

The Lexus has a soul too, but its different than the Caddies or Lincoln's. A Caddy in my mind is rather brash and charismatic when compared to a Lexus. A Lexus is like the really quiet kid in class who gets a 4.0 GPA, and the Caddy is kind of like the class clown..charismatic, easy going, everyone knows him and recognizes him..

gothicaleigh
03-05-06, 05:30 PM
The soulless comments come from the asian companies releasing bland looking designs, or in the case of the new LS, producing a poor imitation of other makes'.

Despite all the criticism, it seems everyone is imitating the Bangle-Bimmers:

http://automobilemag.com/auto_shows/naias_2006/0602_lexus_ls460_003_445.jpg

http://automobilemag.com/auto_shows/naias_2006/0601_lexus_ls460_01_445.jpg

http://automobilemag.com/auto_shows/naias_2006/0601_lexus_ls460_03_445.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-05-06, 07:28 PM
I actually think its a pretty good looking car, quite daring for Lexus!

Lord Cadillac
03-05-06, 09:56 PM
Soul-less or not, the LS460 is going to be a kick-ass car.. None of my belongings have ever needed a soul...

davesdeville
03-06-06, 07:04 AM
I prefer driving a car to controlling an appliance, thanks.

JCM1
04-03-06, 11:04 PM
There is a rumor that the 380 HP Lexus claims from the 4.6 V8 might be a very liberal estimation. There have been independent tests that have shown this number to be wishful thinking. They suggest more along the lines of 360 HP, while still respectable, it is not the 380 HP Lexus claims. The new LS460 is supposed to be a hell of a car considering the new S-Class Mercedes begs the question WTF and the current 7-series BMW just looks strange. Anyone planning to purchase one, I suggest you take advantage of the 24 hour test drive and see if it really feels like 380 HP.

90Brougham350
04-04-06, 12:02 PM
Haven't there been accusations as of late that some of the Jap car companies have been overrating HP numbers? It doesn't really matter a whole lot, 360 vs. 380 will still having that car moving much more nimbly than its predecessors. I'm a little sad though, that Lexus pretty much had to copy the new 7-series design, because I think it looks pretty awful.

GreenMachine
04-05-06, 11:52 PM
That Lexus STARTS at 60k.

Loaded, you'll be close to 80k (LS460)

Gee, it's a brand new engine making over 90HP than the previous generation. Maybe ownerrs of 06 models should be bitching!

Are these cars even in the same category? We're talking about $400 for every extra HP! Those are some expensive ponies!!!:eek:

I may be mistaken but doesn't that put it into the STS-V pricerange? So not apples and oranges after all.

Those pictures look alot like a beemer with Lexus tags.

When you compare the same pricerange cars to same pricerange cars...Cadillac does well.

Zorb750
04-12-06, 12:48 AM
This car DOES have the side profile of a BMW... Lexus copies everyone though, it is not surprising.

Dooman
04-13-06, 11:11 AM
Take a good look at those pictures now that the new 07 Camry is out. I'd buy the Toyota, spend a few $$ on wheels.

PAULSTSMAN1
04-21-06, 12:13 AM
Guys and Gals:

It's worse than you think! Not only will Lexus Launch this LS460 with 380 hp, but shortly after the release it will be available in a new Hybrid, with identical HP! Lexus has not be sitting on its success. A whole new Lexus Flagship is in the wings: The LS 600L. This car will be V8 powered with the refinement of a V12, and fuel economy of a V6. Offered in the "L" designation it will offer an additional 5" of rear seat legroom.

I have pictures of it, but don't know how to upload it. It looks simply Awesome!

Zorb750
04-21-06, 02:54 AM
Guys and Gals:

It's worse than you think! Not only will Lexus Launch this LS460 with 380 hp, but shortly after the release it will be available in a new Hybrid, with identical HP! Lexus has not be sitting on its success. A whole new Lexus Flagship is in the wings: The LS 600L. This car will be V8 powered with the refinement of a V12, and fuel economy of a V6. Offered in the "L" designation it will offer an additional 5" of rear seat legroom.

I have pictures of it, but don't know how to upload it. It looks simply Awesome!

Not quite... The Hybrid is the GS450h. There will be the LS450h afterward. It will have less power though, not that I think for a minute that Lexus will actually pull 380HP out of that engine. This is Lexus we're talking about... They never did particularly well with power per displacement before, why will they now? It's too big a leap.