: Custom Front Plate: Yes or No?

caddycruiser
02-05-06, 03:47 PM
On our '93 FWB, the first thing my father did was take off the front plate bracket, and I've always thought it looked very nice that way. But now, with my '95, it's still on there and I keep trying to decide whether or not to put a plate on it or just take the whole thing off.

Stripped off is cleaner, but I've always liked these:
http://pctirenglass.com/plates/images/Cadillac/CAD.CC.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/My%20Cars%20Stuff/fwbwithfrontplate.jpg

EDIT: Here's a "without" for comparison:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/7004201.jpg

Like I said, I've always thought they looked pretty good, but am looking for different opinions...;)

fleetwood76
02-05-06, 07:29 PM
Hello.

I voted for the use of chrome plate.

Here in sweden is it against the law to drive your car without the front plate, but i have bought such a chrome plate with golden wreath and crest. I plan on use that one on carshows and cruisings, and i don't think that the police will care on those occacions.

Chrome is never wrong on a Cadillac especally if it comes with the wreath and crest, of cuorse of the old, true type.

Jolle.

caddycruiser
02-05-06, 09:50 PM
Added another pic above^^, for comparison;)

DaveDeVille
02-05-06, 10:00 PM
We have to display front plates in WI. I hate it. I would love to remove the front bracket and have it the way the designers thought it should be.

N0DIH
02-06-06, 01:34 AM
Dave, I havne't had a front plate on my 96 Burb since we got it in 2004, but then again, I don't on my 80 T/A or my old 91 Bonneville either. The cops did comment on the 91 Bonneville though, not the rest.

If you take it off and keep it looking clean, likely they won't bother you. All depends, I don't know Elkhorn cops, but Darien where I live are pretty cool, they will talk to you in person before they are going to harrass you on it.

Sometimes there are some really good things when living in small towns.

davesdeville
02-06-06, 04:44 AM
Looks much better without the plate holder.

96Fleetwood
02-06-06, 10:23 AM
I say go for the front plate. Mine has the Cadillac logo, Cadillac script, and a Brougham emblem on it.

http://www.richmonddubs.com/gallery/albums/leloz/161_6168_IMG.jpg

http://www.richmonddubs.com/gallery/albums/leloz/161_6169_IMG.jpg

It looks much better now that I have the hood ornament removed, but I do not have updated pics yet.

Either way, I am sure it will look good no matter which way you go.

HotRodSaint
02-06-06, 10:52 AM
In California, you are supposed to have a front plate.

So don't tell anyone, because I don't and I think the front bumper looks cleaner without it!

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/289000-289999/289674_60_full.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-06-06, 12:53 PM
I voted for "without chrome plate" It looks cleaner, less cluttered.

You're lucky, in MN you have to have a licence plate on the front and back. The only way to make that look cool is to have vanity plates, and I dont have money for that....now....

caddycruiser
02-06-06, 12:55 PM
Hmm...all good points. I still really like these chrome plates with the emblem, but am not sure whether I like it better with one or without anything.

I think if I ended up doing an SS wheel combo, it'd be better to go as clean as possible with everything else; and if I kept stockers and whitewalls, the plate might look really good.

brougham
02-06-06, 08:58 PM
Why don't you just get one and if you don't like it take it off. I don't like the way they look so I wouldn't get it. I like the one that 96Fleetwood has a lot better. I actually want one like that.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-06-06, 09:06 PM
Caddycruiser, I see you're from Delaware,

What is in Delaware? Delaware, for me anyways is one of those "forgotten states" that nothing ever happens in there, and nothing really is in there.

Enlighten me bro!

caddycruiser
02-06-06, 09:26 PM
Caddycruiser, I see you're from Delaware,

What is in Delaware? Delaware, for me anyways is one of those "forgotten states" that nothing ever happens in there, and nothing really is in there.

Enlighten me bro!

Well, it's technically the first state, since as it was the first of them to ratify the United States Constitution. There's 3 counties, all of which side the Atlantic, but the main beaches are all in the southern most county--Sussex, where I live.

Actually, southern DE is one of the most popular vacation spots in the country, as there's Rehoboth and Dewey (towns on the beach) next to one another, plus Bethany as you go further and then Ocean City, Maryland is about 20-25 minutes south. We live a tiny bit more inland, about 10-15 minutes from the beach, so that's basically where we do all the shopping and other stuff. Going back into the 60's, my dad's family used to come here for vacation every summer, and then we always did too, until we decided to move down from western PA and stay here permanently.

Also of note, one of the coolest things is that there's no sales tax, and all the taxes on everything else are about as low as they get. Given that it's a largely beach area down southward, the population keeps getting bigger and bigger, both young and old people. The two northern counties are the "cities", with places like Dover, the capitol, and Wilmington farther up, which is where a lot of major credit card and insurance companies have national head quarters.

It is still strange to me that a lot of people know it hardly exists, to the extent that there's T-shirts and stickers that say "Dela-WHERE?", but it connects right on to MD, PA, and NJ.

Before living here, we were and all our family is still, from Punxsutawney, PA...the "Weather Capitol of the World" with Punxsutawney Phil and Groundhog's Day. That was a pretty cool little place too, but I like living at the beach 1000% more:cool2:

Hope that little thread "hijack" gave you some good info!

P.S., most of the year, I myself am in a suburb of Philly in college, so I'm back to being more of a PA resident again than a DE one...

ocjmakaveli
02-07-06, 03:14 AM
ALWAYS WITHOUT the plate but after i received 4 tickets in 1 year for not having a front plate I HAD to put mine on :crying2: :crying2:

It was odd of the 3 previous years i had no problems but all of a sudden I put rims on it and OH "Sir you need a front license plate" Yeah Right lol I'm glad the law isn't one-sided </end of sarcastic remark>

Please how come the other junk cars I've driven in the past are ok without them?:bomb:

Anyhow if you can get away with it then definitely without it's much cleaner and IMO the front plate is useless 95% of the time.

caddycruiser
02-07-06, 10:08 AM
Well, we've never once had to deal with a mandatory front plate issue in either PA or DE, as it's not a policy/law in either, so I guess I'm just looking for an extra little decoration...as long as it doesn't come off too tacky.

FrankieSixxxgun
02-07-06, 12:28 PM
I have a big spade on the front of my caddy. I think it looks neat. Go for it!

caddycruiser
02-08-06, 11:55 PM
Choose one:
or
http://pctirenglass.com/plates/images/Cadillac/D.CAD.2.CC.jpg

Naturally, I would think the one with the "old" Cadillac emblem is the best match, but I also like that other one with the script on it also...or is it too busy?

EDIT: Or, I just found these too...
http://www.usspeedonline.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/DW-SSCADNCS-F.jpg

theGman
02-10-06, 11:24 PM
Comparing the 2 pics, it looks much better without a front plate. The front plate's lines are flat and conflict with the curved bumper lines.

Perhaps if the plate was formed to the shape of the bumper it would look better, but then it would just be over the top of the bumper which is already formed to the lines of the bumper.

Also, there already is a Cadillac crest just above the one on the license plate. Can't have 2 on the same side of the car....looks too busy.

If you had to have a plate there, would be better to have something else on it, like the name "Fleetwood", or "Brougham", etc. which would compliment the crest and not just duplicate it.

caddycruiser
02-11-06, 10:55 AM
Comparing the 2 pics, it looks much better without a front plate. The front plate's lines are flat and conflict with the curved bumper lines.

Perhaps if the plate was formed to the shape of the bumper it would look better, but then it would just be over the top of the bumper which is already formed to the lines of the bumper.

Also, there already is a Cadillac crest just above the one on the license plate. Can't have 2 on the same side of the car....looks too busy.

If you had to have a plate there, would be better to have something else on it, like the name "Fleetwood", or "Brougham", etc. which would compliment the crest and not just duplicate it.

I agree, but I just ordered one with a crest on it, so we'll see how it goes. I know with my stock machined-face Brougham wheels and trucky blackwalls, it'll stick out more, but when I eventually get a new set of whitewalls and chrome Brougham wheels, it will all match well.

Or, if I don't like it, I have a friend who wanted one that will take it:)

Patrick7997
02-11-06, 11:19 AM
Sadly, here in the People's REpublic of Wisconsin, you WILL get pulled over for no front plate....

Lots of people do it, but I got tired of getting pulled over. Maybe it's just me.

So, my instinctual reaction is to say "No Plate!", since I'd love to do that myself...

However, your pictures at the top, the very first one actually looked good, I found myself liking that.

Later in the thread, there's a chrome with gold lettering, wreath & crest, Cadillac Script beneath. Nice. I like that. I did almost the identical thing on my floor mats, I have black mats, with gold wreath & crest, and gold "Cadillac" script beneath. Came out great.

I'm okay with it, but personally, we've all seen some of these very ostentatious license plate frames & plates.... that's a bit much for me. If you're going to go overboard, don't do it. If you're going to do something like that first picture, subtle, but nice, then I'm for it....

Now obviously, I am not disrespecting anyone who has some crazy wild plates, frames, etc. It's your car, and I totally respect that. Our diversity is our strength. If everyone's car was a carbon copy, how boring would that be?!?!?!

caddycruiser
02-11-06, 11:51 AM
...If you're going to do something like that first picture, subtle, but nice, then I'm for it....

That's exactly my goal. I have no desire to go overboard and just start peel and sticking everything I can possibly find onto the car, just want to do a few small, hopefully tasteful little detail things.

I already have one gold Heritage of Ownership medallion on the grille from the last owner, and another without a number on it new in the box, so all that will be on the front end is exactly what you see in that first pic--a gold Caddy grille medallion and the plate (if I like it).

I did like the ones that had the crest and the Cadillac script on them, but found out the ones with the "old" Cadillac crest and the scripting have been on back order for a while, and are hard to get. Could have gotten a similar one from that last pic in the series that had both things on it, but I thought the emblem looked too tacky and fake, so I bought this one instead with a real OEM emblem:

I've seen this one on a few Caddy's before and thought it looked really nice, so I'm hoping the same is true for mine.

Pete Benson
02-12-06, 03:18 PM
If you can get away with it legally, lose the plate. The front end looks FAR cleaner without it.

caddycruiser
02-12-06, 05:05 PM
If you can get away with it legally, lose the plate. The front end looks FAR cleaner without it.

Well, it's going to be purely decorative anyway...IF I decide to keep it, which I most likely will.

It's not like it's a state plate thing...but I do get your point. I just really want something little, but tasteful to dress up the front, and always liked these plates.

theGman
02-12-06, 09:28 PM
I hope this makes sense....I really like those front plates, but not installed on the car. I might get one to hang on my office wall.

caddycruiser
02-12-06, 09:36 PM
I hope this makes sense....I really like those front plates, but not installed on the car. I might get one to hang on my office wall.

Yeah, that makes sense. If I don't like it on the car and my friend doesn't then want it, it will be a nice wall decoration:)

Mr_Bam
02-13-06, 12:47 AM
Now you guys need the frame :wink:

caddycruiser
02-13-06, 06:51 AM
Now you guys need the frame :wink:

I think that'd be a little TOO much...

Mr_Bam
02-13-06, 02:37 PM
We're required to run a visible front plate, so I had the frames made... Personally, I love the look, but I don't try to do things to appeal the "masses" haha

caddycruiser
02-13-06, 04:04 PM
Got it today, and am 100% impressed, even more so in pics. The emblem is larger than I thought it looked in the pics, and everything is solid and heavy--no plastic anywhere.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/caddyplate.jpg

(Ended up photographing myself, without knowing it...).

I'm most likely going to keep it, now that I've seen it in person--it will be beautiful on the car:thumbsup:

Mr_Bam
02-13-06, 08:43 PM
:thumbsup:

Are you going to run a plate frame? (Even if it's body matched or something :lildevil: )

caddycruiser
02-13-06, 08:56 PM
:thumbsup:

Are you going to run a plate frame? (Even if it's body matched or something :lildevil: )

Maybe...if the plate doesn't look right alone with the chromed caps, I'll add a thin chrome ring like I have on the back of the car.

But I'm thinking it'll look good as is, because I've seen a few that did have frames and they looked too busy. I think these plates were actually made to be alone, and not have anything but chromed caps, at most, on them.

Mr_Bam
02-14-06, 12:36 PM
:lildevil: I like busy :biggrin:

RMartin0018
02-14-06, 12:56 PM
I say go with the chrome front plate. In Nebraska, you have to display front and rear plates...bummer. On my 93 Brougham, I had a hitch mounted so I could pull atrailer when I take trips. I made a cutom hitch cover that had a Caddy emblem mounted on it that was identical to all the others on my car. It looks sweet and gets quite a bit of notice.

caddycruiser
02-14-06, 01:52 PM
I say go with the chrome front plate. In Nebraska, you have to display front and rear plates...bummer. On my 93 Brougham, I had a hitch mounted so I could pull atrailer when I take trips. I made a cutom hitch cover that had a Caddy emblem mounted on it that was identical to all the others on my car. It looks sweet and gets quite a bit of notice.

Yeah, I already did...read a few posts up^^^:thumbsup: