: Help!!

stkshkr
02-05-06, 02:32 PM
Started to install Maggie today. Following instructions EXACTLY for the Superchips load. About 2 minutes into "programming" (on the screen) everything seems ok, then " NO RESPONSE FROM PCM, CHECK CABLE AND TURN IGNITION TO ON" Cable was not loose and iginition was on. Would not program any more so I disconnected. Car will not start!!!
I'm sure the PCM has probably lost it's programming. I've tried to load the damn thing again and it doesn't even go into "programming" before I get the same message.
I will contact Superchips tomorrow. But my question is do you think I can continue with the physical install of the Maggie while this is being resolved???

Playdrv4me
02-05-06, 02:36 PM
Yikes... that cant be good. I cant imagine how you could get the dealer to warranty that without some creative talking. Hope you get it resolved!

heavymetals
02-05-06, 02:40 PM
What do you mean will not start?
Does it turn over?

heavymetals
02-05-06, 02:44 PM
You can do the stuff you need to do like the windshield wiper stuff, but don't install anything until you get the programming fixed.

It requires the PCM to be reflased.

The new flash contains the vin# that the programmer needs to "see".

The dealer will do it for free (at least mine did).

Known problem.

Search the old maggie install threads.

I had the same problem.

UPDATE, rereading your post you say it went into the programming mode.
Ergo, it "saw" the vin#.

Don't install anything till that is fixed.
You may want to contact Stealth.

stkshkr
02-05-06, 02:45 PM
No it won't turn over. I tried disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes and reconnected and still no start. Can the PCM be reprogrammed while removed from the car or do I need to have the car towed? If it has to be towed I won't continue with the install of the maggie.
My PCM had a current dealer flash and the superchips recognized the VIN, it was actually about 2 minutes into the programming when this happened. Don't think it's the same problem as discussed.

Seattle CTS-V
02-05-06, 02:49 PM
I believe I read something about that happening in the downloadable instructions from Magnuson's website. I recall it saying you have to take it to the dealership to have the ECU reflashed. Yikes.

heavymetals
02-05-06, 03:07 PM
If you know the dealer (this is where a case of beer comes in handy) sounds like your PCM needs to be reflashed, but they most likely will do for free (free beer is a great motivator!).

You are gonna have to have it towed.

OR

You can pull the PCM and send it to Stealth for a tune (more money) and you would get it back by the time your done with the install.

Ya got brass ones?

Ya feel lucky?

Sorry for your problem.

stkshkr
02-05-06, 03:10 PM
Can the dealer reflash the PCM if I take it out? I'm going to get the Stealth tune anyway, but I believe he needs the stock program in it before he does his magic.

stkshkr
02-05-06, 03:11 PM
I believe I read something about that happening in the downloadable instructions from Magnuson's website. I recall it saying you have to take it to the dealership to have the ECU reflashed. Yikes.

This is only if the Superchips tuner doe not recognize the VIN, nothing about what happened to me.

heavymetals
02-05-06, 03:13 PM
Can the dealer reflash the PCM if I take it out? I'm going to get the Stealth tune anyway, but I believe he needs the stock program in it before he does his magic.

If he has the right equipment, but the PCM needs power and Tech II doesn't power the unit.

That is why I said TOW.

Ask the dealer.

Most cannot, but they may have a techno gearhead that can (I doubt it).

If you are gonna get the Stealth tune then I say otion #2.

Pull it, send to Stealth and continue.

You are gonna have both fingers crossed when you get it together and turn the key.

Mine ran for about 1/3 of a second then DIED! AARRRGGGGGGGG!

Turned out to be the fuel booster pump fuse.

Whew!

Good luck.

wildwhl
02-05-06, 03:16 PM
Know anyone local with EFILive or HPTuners? With EFILive you can recover the PCM. Sounds to me like you have an incomplete flash, therefore the parameters for the OS are screwed up.

You could likely pull the PCM and send it off - but if it requires a dealer flash/update - well - the dealer won't do it outside of the car.

My advice? Install the stuff in the trunk, modify the wiper assembly, and if you're really brave install the intercooler assembly in front of the radiator. Then tow it to the dealer for a flash on the PCM...and continue with the install.

However, if the dealer sees that heat exchanger assembly - you could have problems.

I'm not sure what happened with the Superchips tuner hanging two minutes in. Have you tried reconnecting multiple times to see if the Superchips picks up? What's the battery voltage like?

WW

heavymetals
02-05-06, 03:23 PM
WW you forgot about pinning the crank pulley!

You will end up removing the intercooler and radiator.

stkshkr
02-05-06, 03:28 PM
Battery voltage is good. Already did the wipers

wildwhl
02-05-06, 03:29 PM
True - thanks Heavy.

I know what I would do.

Flat matte spray paint all the parts that go in front of the radiator (Denniscars did and it looks much more stealth). Yank the radiator, pin the crank pulley, install the pump and heat exchanger, put it all back together. Don't wire the I/C pump yet. Install the boostapump in the trunk, run the wire, and tuck it out of sight as well. Tuck the hoses out of the way and bolt it all together. Modify the wiper assembly and get the PCM fixed tomorrow.

Then you'll have about a 6 hour phase left. Pull the manifold. Extend wires. Flash program in (do this first). Mount Maggie. Hook up hoses. Peel off 1/4" of tread on rear tires :burn:

But that's me...and I tend to just say F'it a lot :alchi:

WW

DILLIGAF
02-05-06, 03:29 PM
If theres a chance your tuner is screwed up I could send you mine.All of us with stealth tunes have backups of our stock tunes in efilive format+ the superchip tuner that came with the maggie.Call Rick,let us know

wildwhl
02-05-06, 03:30 PM
rp64ctsv -

The Superchips tuners have the VIN preinstalled - I don't think that will work.

WW

heavymetals
02-05-06, 03:31 PM
Do the fuel pump booster and the wiring to the engine compartment.

That will kill a few hours.

wildwhl
02-05-06, 03:31 PM
What Rick *might* do for you if he has a spare PCM on hand is save your ass - but you need to talk to him directly.

StealthV
02-05-06, 04:12 PM
A little tip for anyone flashing a PCM with laptop software or a handheld - never ever disconnect the power (battery) to the PCM if the flash goes awry. Disconnecting power kills the tuning software's bootloader and locks up the PCM.

If the PCM is beyond recovery by traditional tuning methods, the EEPROM will need to be pulled from the board and reset. Been there; done that. :)

Check your email - a new PCM is on its way.

Dennisscars
02-05-06, 04:18 PM
What Rick *might* do for you if he has a spare PCM on hand is save your ass -

dun-ta-da.. able to leap tall buildings in a single bound...make speeding locomotives go even faster...super stealthv, truth, justice and the American way...:worship:

Dennisscars
02-05-06, 04:25 PM
I had to stop and make a trip to the dealer to do that VIN thing, threw me way off schedule. Good thing I did that first..

Best advise, take your time and do a sano job..
worst part.. pulling radiator without tearing up side flashing. Car may run hot if you don't put side flashing back.

crank pinning not as hard as it sounds, worst is getting bolt to break loose.

urbanski
02-05-06, 04:28 PM
i hate locked eeproms :(

stkshkr
02-05-06, 04:28 PM
Rick is Superman :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

heavymetals
02-05-06, 04:29 PM
What a guy! :worship: :highfive: :thumbsup:

Sure as hell justifies being a supporting member!

(off soap box)

heavymetals
02-05-06, 04:37 PM
crank pinning not as hard as it sounds, worst is getting bolt to break loose.

Six foot long breaker bar and Aleve.:thumbsup:

wildwhl
02-05-06, 04:45 PM
Just don't break your stock airbox inlet (now how would I know that?)

WW

2004ctsv
02-05-06, 04:55 PM
I just sent an email to StealthV

Before I start the s/c install, I want to get a second PCM to hold the Stealth tune. The original can hold the Magnuson tune for state inspections w/ emission testing.

I hope this plan works

T

BTW - for those who did the install and pulled the rad, is there a clean drain tap on it? I haven't looked (just lazy)

wildwhl
02-05-06, 05:25 PM
Just my .02 obviously - but how about purchasing EFILive and a tune from Rick instead? I have a spare PCM - but have yet to use it.

stkshkr
02-05-06, 06:38 PM
Why Me !!!!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Decided to install the stuff in the trunk (Magnavolt), It's not with the kit. So looking at what I have, looks like I'm also missing the intercooler pump and mounting hardware. Wonder what else? There was no list of parts included.
Work stoppage....................

wildwhl
02-05-06, 06:45 PM
Stop.

Call Magnuson in a.m.

Drink beer - watch game now.

WW

ronr
02-05-06, 10:24 PM
Six foot long breaker bar and Aleve.:thumbsup:

Tried that, didn't work.....tip, put car in gear and use drivetrain as resistance (I broke a strap wrench on the damper trying to get this thing broke loose) :banghead:

heavymetals
02-05-06, 10:49 PM
Tried that, didn't work.....tip, put car in gear and use drivetrain as resistance (I broke a strap wrench on the damper trying to get this thing broke loose) :banghead:

Put it in 3rd or 4th.

A lower gear will move the tire when you turn the crank bolt.

It is a bitch.

2004ctsv
02-05-06, 10:58 PM
Why Me !!!!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Decided to install the stuff in the trunk (Magnavolt), It's not with the kit. So looking at what I have, looks like I'm also missing the intercooler pump and mounting hardware. Wonder what else? There was no list of parts included.
Work stoppage....................

If you bought yours from Lund, you may also be missing the water hose with J & L bends. The manifold gaskets are supposed to be under the charger.

I did an inventory of all the major parts against the packing parts list. I didn't have the water pump or MagnVolt. It might be missing some small items but I think they might be easier gotten from the hardware store.

Call Rich Dale and he'll take care of it.

I can't start the install until March. Hopefully the Superchips unit is okay in my kit.

T