: Super Bowl Blizzard!

noahsdad
02-05-06, 09:29 AM
Today's the Super Bowl in Detroit, and what great timing, winter finally decided to make a grand entrance last night. It started about 4pm yesterday with wet snow that stuck to everything, then last night it got cold, the snow turned powdery, and the wind picked up. This morning, over 8 inches of fresh snow is blowing around under heavy west winds.

Ford Field is an indoor venue, but I'll bet the weather is going to be a hot topic with the commentators today!

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/john_donovan/02/04/sb.scene/t1_0204_detroit.snow_ap.jpg

gdwriter
02-05-06, 12:32 PM
Wasn't there a blizzard the last time the Super Bowl came to Detroit in 1982? Or was that 1983? No wonder the game's usually played somewhere in the Sun Belt.

Although frankly, I think domes are for pussies. I'd rather see a game played on the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field or at Soldier Field than some climate controlled mall, er football stadium.

I would have been pissed if the Patriots had built a dome when they finally replaced Foxboro Stadium. The Razor will probably never host a Super Bowl, but I don't care. I'd rather see the Pats play in the elements (anybody remember the snowplow incident?)

noahsdad
02-05-06, 02:40 PM
Wasn't there a blizzard the last time the Super Bowl came to Detroit in 1982? Or was that 1983? No wonder the game's usually played somewhere in the Sun Belt.

Although frankly, I think domes are for pussies. I'd rather see a game played on the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field or at Soldier Field than some climate controlled mall, er football stadium.

I would have been pissed if the Patriots had built a dome when they finally replaced Foxboro Stadium. The Razor will probably never host a Super Bowl, but I don't care. I'd rather see the Pats play in the elements (anybody remember the snowplow incident?)

Yes, the '82 Super Bowl at the Silverdome was a fiasco. The bus carrying the '49ers got stuck a mile from the stadium and the team had to walk the rest of the way!

I agree somewhat with your domed stadiums assessment, I remember watching the Lions play at Tiger stadium once when 15 inches of snow fell during the game - the field turned into a mud bog. Now as an aging fan, I find the bad weather games are only fun to watch from the comfort of your living room. Those Lambeau cheeseheads are slightly off their rockers. The best compromise is the 'convertible' stadium in Toronto.

dbdartman
02-05-06, 05:14 PM
The response to the snow in Detroit I saw on another board was: It's natures way of making detroit look nice. :eyebrow: