: Moving on UP Cadillac Style Owners-Survey

tdkurten
02-05-06, 12:22 AM
Hi everyone, I need your help. I am in a college project, and I need your opinion in how you feel about moving up from your current vechile into a more expensive Cadillac? Our target market is Move-ups. So What would interest you in upgrading your current vechicle into a more luxarious Cadillac?
Thank you Tina.

SpeedyArizona
02-05-06, 12:43 AM
Well, first off I would want a 2-Door Cadillac that was reasonably priced (under $50,000) and that looked good. The Eldorado was killed off in 2002, and was replaced by the $80,000 XLR. If they brought back the Eldorado, I would probably buy a new one, but it would have to be decently priced and have a body style to it (similiar to the 93-02 model). I don't want a 4-Door car, it makes me feel too old :D!

I would never buy the current 2-Door Cadillac XLR for 1 reason:

1) The price to me, is unreasonable. An $80,000 Corvette-based, luxury convertible isn't my cup of tea. If I wanted a fast car (for $30,000 less than the XLR), I'd buy an actual Corvette! It was an expensive knock-off of the Eldorado, and to my understanding, isn't selling well.

As for the other Cadillac models:

The CTS, STS, and DTS are all 4-Door, luxury sedans which don't appeal to me.

As for the Escalade, I don't need a $50,000+ SUV. I like the Escalade, but if I wanted a REAL offroad vehicle, I'd get a Jeep Wrangler for 1/2 the price AND it would actually go on offroad trails!

The V-Series is a GREAT leap for Cadillac. These cars can compete with German cars in the sense that they have the performance which base models don't have. If I was to EVER get a new Cadillac (excluding the dis-continued Eldorado), I'd most likely get a Cadillac CTS-V just for the fact that it's sporty yet refined.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:!

tdkurten
02-05-06, 12:54 AM
That actually helps a lot more than you know. I graduate in May, I'm middle 30-s now and I would love to upgrade. I have an intrepid, and I love the look of the Cadillac, but for a move-up, we have to find out why someone wants to move up, why they would consider the Cadillac and I'm struggling with these thoughts myself. I haven't answered the question: What makes the Cadillac worth moving up for? Any suggestions.

SpeedyArizona
02-05-06, 01:23 AM
Well, there are many luxury brands out there, but the only TRUE American luxury brand is Cadillac. When you upgrade to ANY car, you look at three main things:

1) The look of the car. This is possibly the biggest decider in purchasing a car. You can always replace an interior or tune an engine, but you can't neccesarily change the complete look of a car. Cadillac has sharper lines than say a Lexus, and some like those lines, some don't.

2) The cost. $30,000 is usually the entry into the luxury car segmeant. There is a HUGE difference in buying the entry level, $30,000 or the top-of-the-line, flagship car usually priced from $50,000-$70,000. It's like deciding if you want a CTS or a DTS, two completely different cars that are like night and day.

3) The interior. If you want top-of-the-line leather, stereo, and "gadgets", you'll pay more than if you want something more basic. Sometimes you can sacfice that $2000 navigation system or that $1200 sound system to buy your dream car. Add-on's really bring up the price of a car, you'll usually want to stick to options that you NEED to have and only 1 or 2 that you'd LIKE to have.

Mainly what it comes down to is that you either like a Cadillac or not.

What make/model and price range are you looking for? Maybe I could add some more input.

tdkurten
02-05-06, 01:36 AM
I am definitely looking at low end, $50K but leather seats. That is assuming I get the job that will fit that bill, of course if I didn't pay $450 in daycare cost, I could afford it. I am having trouble changing my beliefs about how much to pay for a car. How would you or how did you overcome this. I have so many friends tell me its an attitude thing, and it makes you feel good. We've been looking at the entry level CTS. I think it's the only one in my price range. I can't seem to answer why I want to do that. But I'm in love with the car, but can't seem to get over the hump of the almightly $. Have any suggestions?

tdkurten
02-05-06, 01:41 AM
What do you think would change someone's mind about turning towards the Cadillac. I love the style, I love the look, and I guess you could say I love the prestige. Is that the hump we have to get over in order to pay the price tag? What do you believe we have to do as consumers in order to get over these barriers? The only thing I can think of is money. But that really doesn't stop people these days I don't think.

SpeedyArizona
02-05-06, 01:55 AM
If you have up to $50,000 to spend, there is a large market of luxury cars that would please you. The CTS is a GREAT entry-level Cadillac with nice curves and a good (could be a tad better) interior. I don't own a CTS, but I've heard they're great vehicles that are comfortable to drive. The base CTS starts at $28,000 and goes up to $50,000+ for the CTS-V (basically a turbocharged CTS). I like the look of the CTS with the exception of the base grille. I know you can change it to a CTS-V grille for $1200 though (and it looks MUCH better).

If you want to try and spend the least amount possible for a luxury car, I'd check the following (all can be purchased for UNDER $35,000):

Cadillac CTS (of course)
Lexus IS (I love the 6 speed auto with paddle shifters)
Mercedes- Benz C-Class (great entry-level Mercedes)
BMW 3 Series (one of my personal favorites)
Toyota Camry (reliable and cheap)
Jaguar X-Type (nice looking car)

Buying a luxury car is an experience to say the least. You can't really "justify" buying a luxury car, but sometimes you need to do something good for yourself. You need to find a car that suits you, and when you find it, buy it. If you don't buy the exact car you want, you'll probably regret it for a while, save yourself the hassle and enjoy it! This is all up to you though, you need to decide if you'll be happy with a car other than the one you want.

SpeedyArizona
02-05-06, 01:59 AM
What do you believe we have to do as consumers in order to get over these barriers?

The price tag is an afterthought these days, it's the look and style of what your buying that ultimately decides what you buy. I could've purchased a car that wasn't a BMW, but I didn't because I liked the BMW name and it's style. The interior was stunning and I ultimately decided that I wouldn't buy something that wasn't "the car".

My system for writing the check (or making the monthly payments) is, "Grin it and bear it!"

tdkurten
02-05-06, 02:31 PM
I like the grin and bare it statement. I am having a problem getting past the fact that I might be making a $700 to $800 a month car payment. I have to say I like the Lexus you mentioned as well. I have a friend that just purchased a used one, and I just fell in love. I think it's the new sporty look of the CTS I like. I like buying new because I'm the only one that has driven it, but on the other hand, do you think buying a used Cadallic might be the way to go. So when you look at the cars mentioned below what is your preception of Cadillac over the rest, but you did mention the BMW. Which I love as well.
I don't know what it is really, prestige? Maybe.

Dadillac
02-05-06, 03:45 PM
I like the grin and bare it statement. I am having a problem getting past the fact that I might be making a $700 to $800 a month car payment. I have to say I like the Lexus you mentioned as well. I have a friend that just purchased a used one, and I just fell in love. I think it's the new sporty look of the CTS I like. I like buying new because I'm the only one that has driven it, but on the other hand, do you think buying a used Cadallic might be the way to go. So when you look at the cars mentioned below what is your preception of Cadillac over the rest, but you did mention the BMW. Which I love as well.
I don't know what it is really, prestige? Maybe.
Used is a wonderful way to go. I bought my '02 Seville SLS, in Nov 2004, for about 45% of initial sticker price. The depreciation on a new car these days is staggering. I was always a buy it new guy, with the last 6 vehicles being new. I am now a used convert. I bought my car when it was theoretically three years old. My car payment (60 months), after putting down less than $1,500.00, is less than $375.00 per month. So with interest included, my final price for this car, will be about 50% of initial sticker price. How can you go wrong? I would never have been able to purchase one new. I do not make that knid of money.

Don

tdkurten
02-05-06, 04:28 PM
Very valid point. I like the way you stated that. It made a lot of sense. So you feel it really doesn't matter if you buy new or used. I've always wondered if other people felt the same way about that. So what is so prestigous about buying a new vechile. I was just watching the Superbowl pre-game show and they are giving an Escalade to the MVP winner of the Superbowl. Nice little gift to say the least. Thank you for your input. I didn't know if many people actually responded to post here. When I first got on I see that a lot of people look.

Is anyone else out there thinking about moving up from a non Cadillac into the wonderful world of Cadillac. I would love to know your thoughts. Kindu want to know if we are thinking the same thing, or the reasons.

Sandy
02-05-06, 04:43 PM
The US Federal Government, as well as the Automobile Industry itself, does not view the Lexus IS, the Mercedes Benz C-class, nor the BMW 3-Series nor the Jaguar X-Type as a Luxury car, nor the Camry. They are not classified as a Luxury Car. They may WEAR a luxury car NAMEPLATE, but they are not a Luxury MODEL.
My daily driver is a Town Car (Lincoln) and it's 2 & a half years old, & I have yet to have "Problem #1". Everyone who rides in it compliments it to the sky. I've actually sold a few because people liked mine so much. You might wanna take one out for a ride. I know you'll be impressed. My close friend has an Infiniti Q45 and that is some car! But, he paid $61,000 for it, so that's it at the top end. I am in New Jersey (as is he) and he has driven it to Seattle Washington & back here rounbd trip TWO times, and has no problem(s) with that Q. It's a tough choice, with so much out there. I know!!

tdkurten
02-05-06, 05:25 PM
I'm just now looking in to upgrading, but are you saying that Cadillac's full line is catorigized as a luxury car? I think the Towncar is out of my league right now, but I'm willing to go check it out. I'm always afraid to explore to much, because I know what I can afford, and that is low end right now.
I'm confused, so what makes a luxury car a luxury car for the automobile industry. As a consumer I see all the ones you mentioned as a luxury car, so what out there has made me fill that way then? Any ideas? By the way I've always loved the Lincoln towncar, I've always viewed that car as a luxury model.

brougham
02-05-06, 05:59 PM
Cadillacs aren't luxurious anymore and I don't like any of them. So if I was going to get a new luxury car it would be a Chrysler 300C or a Lincoln Town Car.

Sandy
02-05-06, 08:36 PM
I'm just now looking in to upgrading, but are you saying that Cadillac's full line is catorigized as a luxury car? I think the Towncar is out of my league right now, but I'm willing to go check it out. I'm always afraid to explore to much, because I know what I can afford, and that is low end right now.
I'm confused, so what makes a luxury car a luxury car for the automobile industry. As a consumer I see all the ones you mentioned as a luxury car, so what out there has made me fill that way then? Any ideas? By the way I've always loved the Lincoln towncar, I've always viewed that car as a luxury model.

The catagory of true "Luxury" car is pretty much decided by the "average" price as listed on the window sticker....not what the consumer pays.
I was looking for the listing in the Automobile Trade Journal and like always, I can't find it when i want it syndrome!
Cadillac SLS, DTS, CTS-V
Lincoln Town Car
Audi A6 & A8
Jaguar S-Type & XJ
Mercedes C & S Class
BMW 5,6 & 7 Series
Volvo S80
Infiniti Q45 & M45
Lexus GS & LS
VW Phaeton

I think I got them all. By the way a fully loaded 2006 Town Car has a window sticker of around $47,000 and you can get a discount of $ 2,000 off of sticker & there is a $3,000 rebate on now, so it can be bought for $42,000 & sales tax. Ask about the 25th Annioversary Edition, it's very special !
If ya want a Hi performance luxury car, check out the CTS-V, but it's small and also pricy, fully loaded. A Cadillac DTS (2006) is real nice, but you gotta be really stingy with the options, or she shoots to $60,000 REAL fast.

Adam
02-06-06, 03:27 PM
Cadillacs aren't luxurious anymore and I don't like any of them. So if I was going to get a new luxury car it would be a Chrysler 300C or a Lincoln Town Car.

wait what? a 300C? over an STS or a DTS? i dont know about that, i mean that is your opinion and all but nothing luxury about a STS or a DTS?