: M5 really isn't all that

wildwhl
02-04-06, 09:34 PM
She's fast. She's real fast.

Maggie + 2.6" pulley + StealthV tune and my aggressive driving is faster. Not by much, but faster.

Switch drivers and the result is the same. And the V has snow tires on her right now, seriously limiting the twisty action.

M5 driver = great friend and he is likely posting his experience on another board as I type this. I like that car - a lot - I must admit. If I wasn't a mod freak - it would be very, very high on my short, short list of perfect autos. SMG is really bitchin' for aggressive driving.

But I'm still keeping my V.

Add that to your Kelly Blue Book trade in values :thumbsup:

WW

Geno
02-04-06, 09:40 PM
Amen Brother!!!!!! Keep the faith.:highfive:

CIWS
02-04-06, 09:41 PM
It's cool you have a friend you can run with and play around on the two machines and let each other feel the difference in the cars :)

rand49er
02-04-06, 09:42 PM
Geez ... I thought the stock V and an M5 were roughly evenly matched. And even with your maggie, you only just beat him!??:wtf:

04CTSVFLA
02-04-06, 09:44 PM
06 m5.....

the older one is roughly evenly matched.

Devil_concours
02-04-06, 09:45 PM
Geez ... I thought the stock V and an M5 were roughly evenly matched. And even with your maggie, you only just beat him!??:wtf:
like i said before, new 500hp m5 will run with just about anything including lambo/ferrari/porsche

MacOSR
02-04-06, 09:46 PM
Do you know what mode you were driving the M5 in?

rand49er
02-04-06, 10:03 PM
06 m5O-o-o-h ... I'm thinking the older ones(>1yr) ... now I get it.

moldowan
02-04-06, 10:11 PM
was that from a roll or dead stop????
how many cars lengths @ what speed please..... thanks
-Moldy

MacOSR
02-04-06, 10:20 PM
I was able to race a heavily modified EVO this past weekend from a stop. I am familiar with this car. I have ran him before with my stock CTS-V and usually get beat by a few car lengths running up to 100.

The EVO pulled VERY quickly away from me off the line. I admit I still am not used to launching the M5. However, I quickly made up the couple car lengths I lost off the line and smoked the EVO. At around 100 I was a few car lengths ahead of him.

The EVO driver, for the first time ever, gave me props ;)

It would be fun having the CTS-V Maggied.

BTW, when I raced the EVO I was in P500 (no sport mode just yet), S4 (no S6 mode just yet either). From other reports P500 Sport and S6 makes a HUGE difference.

Good post wildwhl

Dennisscars
02-04-06, 10:50 PM
It's ok wild no one is going to bag on you if you buy a M5, unless of course you trade in your V AND I don't get a ride in it. :duck:

If I had the coin, I'd buy one ... and track it... :yup:

wildwhl
02-04-06, 11:43 PM
Gents -

maybe I didn't make an important point clear.

He is running REAL tires and I am running Dunlop Wintersports. In a straight line I had him with relative ease but I had to be ultra clean on the shifts. We of course went only from a roll and not beyond legal speed limits :canttalk: Well, maybe 2.5 times the posted limit. Let's just say I had the V up the highest I ever had - but that isn't that high.

In the twisties he had an edge (and I on him when he was in my V) but I attribute that to the tires. Give us a summer day with the GSD3's back on mine (or F1's) and I'd bet money on a V win.

Moldy - the answer - not as many as I had hoped - but enough.

Which mode? Well, he is fully broke in now (3800 miles) and I wasn't screwing around with his presets when in Mpowermode (is that what they call it?). SMG shifts very aggressively, and it would take me quite some time to get used to it - but I think I would like it in the end. I did not thrash on his car in any way, nor he mine. Just a friendly get together and about 15 mintues a piece in each car.

We'll go again - and he'll video tape next time for evidence.

I still wouldn't trade my V for the M5. Now, if the M5 were $75K loaded, might be a different story. I'm an early adopter and have just shy of $65K in my ride - and I do think the M5 might be $10K better over the long run, but certainly not $25-35K.

If I could have both - I would. Having only one - the V is it. With mods as I have it, of course. A stock V will not have much of a chance, sorry to say. Just one V owners opinion...but I suggest you be careful of an M5 if you're bone stock.

WW

wildwhl
02-04-06, 11:47 PM
Oh yeah...the interior of the M5 is :thumbsup: IMHO

Luna.
02-05-06, 12:29 AM
The new M5 is ultra cool and a monster performer...

Twisties? Close, but I'd take the V.

Straight line? No way I'd take the M5 in a straight line against a Maggied V, especially one armed with a 2.6" pulley. :lildevil:

erp2863
02-05-06, 01:43 AM
March issue of Motertrend just came in the mail today. It has the M5 vs. the CLS55. Of course the M5 won, but the most interesting stat was the difference between "Optimized" mode and "Default" for the M5. 12.9@114.9 vs. 14.4@101.9 between the modes.

Guess if my stock V comes across a M5 at a light, I've gotta pray he leaves it in the standard mode!!

Oh ya, the CLS55 was faster, 12.7@113.6!

Eric

VELOSE
02-05-06, 02:10 AM
I don't know if I'm all impressed with the M5 still. Seeing some videos of it in motion makes it look and sound very nice. However actual owners pics don't really make the M5 mouth watering anymore. Maybe I need to see one in person to have me watering from the mouth again. It sure does sound impressive how the M performed but for the money, I'll stay with the V too. I'm not trying to knock the M5 down, it's a great car but until I can appreciate a beamer, I'll appreciate the value of the M.

austin
02-05-06, 02:40 AM
Would anyone happen to have a "at the wheels HP/TRQ dyno print out" of the new 2006 m5.

urbanski
02-05-06, 08:47 AM
the "oh god" button

MacOSR
02-05-06, 08:50 AM
Dyno run: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66743

The M5 seems to be putting out around 450 at the wheels.

MacOSR
02-05-06, 08:56 AM
wildwhl:

I would like to see what you have done to your V. Once the snow breaks I am going to modify mine and it sounds like you are putting some good power to the wheels.

You may not have realized it but the M5 was most likely kicking in its traction control (you were probably in MDM - M Dynamic Mode). To get FULL power to the wheels you need to push the M button "The Button", turn DSC completely off, activate Sport mode through iDrive, and then activate S6 shift mode. With these settings the shifts are BRUTAL!

CIWS
02-05-06, 09:04 AM
M5 really isn't all that

Well I would have to say it really is expensive.......

;)

keeksv
02-05-06, 09:52 AM
To get FULL power to the wheels you need to push the M button "The Button", turn DSC completely off, activate Sport mode through iDrive, and then activate S6 shift mode. With these settings the shifts are BRUTAL!

:hmm: Ctrl-Alt-Del????

10secvette
02-05-06, 10:15 AM
You should pop for a real dyno tune, I bet you're leaving a bit of power on the table.

austin
02-05-06, 10:38 AM
Thanks MacOSR,

WoW... 450 HP at the rear wheels. OwwwT CuuuBed!! :banghead:

Dennisscars
02-05-06, 12:32 PM
To get FULL power to the wheels you need to push the M button "The Button",
Button? "we don't need no stinkin' button", all I do is press the "whine" pedal...and bye bye bimmer...:D

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/img/maggie/4-s.jpg

wildwhl
02-05-06, 12:35 PM
MacOSR - good questions that I should know the answer too. I can't be certain, but I don't believe I was in S6 mode. Edward simply left it in whatever mode he had it in when he was chasing me. I then had to chase him - so my focus was on A) not letting him get away and B) where are the cops (sorry to admit, I'm accustomed to relying on my radar detector whether that is real safety or not) and C) not crashing!

We weren't actually supposed to be out playing yesterday - both with wife and kids at home and we were "working" if you catch my drift ;)

Dennisscars
02-05-06, 12:42 PM
LOOK INTO MY EYES...... YOU'RE GETTING SLEEPY....

wild didn't get any sleep last night either...:yawn:

http://www.exoticcarsite.com/pictures/Cars/bmw/m5_e60/small/bmw_e60_m5-43_small.jpghttp://www.exoticcarsite.com/pictures/Cars/bmw/m5_e60/small/bmw_e60_m5-50_small.jpg

wildwhl
02-05-06, 12:47 PM
Denniscars -

I won't be losing any sleep over the M5. Comfy, nice and fast - just like my V. Plus I know what he paid :nono:

WW

Dennisscars
02-05-06, 12:50 PM
But it's nice to dream,

Kathy Ireland's not coming over today, but I can wonder...:bouncy: shoot I didn't even get a test drive..:mad:

wildwhl
02-05-06, 12:54 PM
Really? Kathy's not coming to your place? :hmm: wonder if she'll be at mine :cookoo:

Dennisscars
02-05-06, 01:03 PM
Maybe if one of us had a dark gray M5 :alchi:

wildwhl
02-05-06, 01:07 PM
:alchi: that sounds a lot better than a dark gray Kathy Ireland :histeric:

I really should listen to my wife...just explain how the V has no resale because it is modded to all hell and we need to keep it, AND, get an M5 (but I think I'd rather have the 997).

ace996
02-05-06, 01:08 PM
Or that funky green chick that Kirk banged on StarTrek...
-ace

Playdrv4me
02-05-06, 02:26 PM
The M5 may be a monster performer and let me tell you, that car WILL eat anything in its path... but the new body is an abomination to look at. I cant stand it. Ill gladly take an M6, E55/63 AMG or over the M5. Blech.

MacOSR
02-05-06, 02:27 PM
We weren't actually supposed to be out playing yesterday - both with wife and kids at home and we were "working" if you catch my drift ;)

This is classic :lildevil:

Blackout
02-05-06, 03:27 PM
In the new Road and Track magazine the M5 ran a 12.4 @ 115.8

wildwhl
02-05-06, 03:28 PM
The M series might have an M mode, but.....

The CTS-VM has this :sneaky:

Blackout
02-05-06, 03:39 PM
The M series might have an M mode, but.....

The CTS-VM has this :sneaky:
That cool but just wait until Dinan gets their hands on the M5:cloud9:

wildwhl
02-05-06, 03:54 PM
I'm sure Dinan will give the M5 some extra oomph (not going to be easy though)...but then at the price I could probably built TWO of my V's - one with Nitrous and one without...go figure.

MacOSR
02-05-06, 04:02 PM
A tuner is already reporting around 50 rwhp with their tune...for only $2k or so ;)

wildwhl
02-05-06, 04:19 PM
$85K + $2K = $87K/2 = $43.5K. Used V's are about $35K. Maggies $5K. Nitrous $1K. Headers and exhaust $2.5K. 35+35+5+5+1+1+2.5+2.5=$87K. Now we're talking apples to apples (one black for the fast color, and the other black too of course). Just yanking chains...but really, the M5 is cool and I won't say any different. She's just not for me.

WW

CIWS
02-05-06, 04:41 PM
Or that funky green chick that Kirk banged on StarTrek...
-ace

Rick "James" T Kirk --- "Romulan Ale is a Hellava drug"

;)

crowan
02-05-06, 06:10 PM
I just drove my son to his dorm at the Univ of Delaware and I parked in the driveway right in front of a new black M5 with NY tags. It was the first one I have seen in person. I will preface my remarks by saying that, while I am determined to never spend that much money on a car again, if the car fairy delivered one to my driveway, I would be thrilled to plant my ass in it and proclaim it mine.

That said, it is a BIG CAR! The V really looked small next to that new "full-figured" bimmer body style. While I prefer the old M5's body, the new interior is gorgeous, I would hate to see the replacement cost of those front seats. They give new meaning to the term "luxurious."

That must be a hell of a motor that can move that car to 12.4 in the 1/4. It is an impressive beast.

CR

austin
02-05-06, 06:14 PM
>12.4 in the 1/4

......and thats without slicks or a tune. :jawdrop:

Devil_concours
02-05-06, 06:42 PM
I just drove my son to his dorm at the Univ of Delaware and I parked in the driveway right in front of a new black M5 with NY tags. It was the first one I have seen in person. I will preface my remarks by saying that, while I am determined to never spend that much money on a car again, if the car fairy delivered one to my driveway, I would be thrilled to plant my ass in it and proclaim it mine.

That said, it is a BIG CAR! The V really looked small next to that new "full-figured" bimmer body style. While I prefer the old M5's body, the new interior is gorgeous, I would hate to see the replacement cost of those front seats. They give new meaning to the term "luxurious."

That must be a hell of a motor that can move that car to 12.4 in the 1/4. It is an impressive beast.

CR

>12.4 in the 1/4

......and thats without slicks or a tune. :jawdrop:

And this car is suppose to rock in high end.

MikeF
02-05-06, 06:44 PM
With my luck, as soon as I buy an M5, Cadillac will drop the LS7 in the CTS.
I'll wait. I'm sure the LS7 can me maggisized.