: The next cheap new car

Stoneage_Caddy
12-30-03, 03:06 PM
looks like YUGO all over again only courtesy of russia , heres the model im thinking about :

http://www.okaauto.com/prod01.htm

something really diffrent for autocross , not to mention the ability the throw it away like the turd it is , and i think it will fit int he trunk of the caddy , and how about that 80s sytleing !!! never thought the anything could look worse than the YUGO

JJhomer83
12-30-03, 03:16 PM
I think i'll take a lawn mower instead

davesdeville
12-30-03, 08:46 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhh. Its a 35hp 2 banger that can go 0-62 in 20 seconds, and tops out at 80mph. Good god.

Stoneage_Caddy
12-30-03, 09:35 PM
but there is nothing beatter to teach someone how to drive fast than a signifcantly underpowered car , when you have no power then you have to be very smooth to keep it in the tiny powerband that it does have .....

looks like fun to me

Night Wolf
12-30-03, 11:23 PM
but there is nothing beatter to teach someone how to drive fast than a signifcantly underpowered car , when you have no power then you have to be very smooth to keep it in the tiny powerband that it does have .....

looks like fun to me

yeah, like how i learned to drive with my mom's '89 Brougham....with the 307.... ahhh the memories of trying to merge onto a main road with a speed limit of 55, I would floor it for about 1/2 miles then got up to speed....

Night Wolf
12-30-03, 11:35 PM
Standard Features
Full Racing Roll Cage --- oh yeah, all the extra protection you can get

Racing Engine with Carburetor ---- racing...woo....the Honda boys havn't figured this out yet, and the carburetor.... the last car sold in the US to have one of those thigns (:) ) was in 1990 with the Subaru Justy (or Brat)

Uses 92 Octane Gasoline --- all this and it needs premium? wow

Light Alloy Wheels --- oh man, even $8k Kia comes with alloy wheels today

Racing Steering Wheel ---- hmmmm, but have super grips already installed...

Other Features (All versions)

Rack & Pinion steering gives a positive response with minimum of effort, so that power assist is not needed.---- read: too cheap to install power steering, so we are gonna use something that most GM's have been using since the 70's

Vacuum assisted power braking system has diagonal dual lines for additional safety and features front discs and rear drums.----- wow..... no 4 wheel disc? what kind of race car is this thing?

Brake system warning light is provided for "Parking Brake ON" and
"Low Brake Fluid" conditions.---- hmmm, I thought that the brake warning light was like standard fare for Caddy in like the 50's...still, ever car I have seen Other Features (All versions)

Rack & Pinion steering gives a positive response with minimum of effort, so that power assist is not needed. read: we are too cheap to add power steering, so we are gonna use something GM has been using since the 70's

Vacuum assisted power braking system has diagonal dual lines for additional safety and features front discs and rear drum. ----drums?!? what race car uses drums? c'mon now....

Brake system warning light is provided for "Parking Brake ON" and
"Low Brake Fluid" conditions.----- wow, we are getting into the major leagues now..... I thought Cadillac has had a brake light since like the 50's..... either way it is said when the brake warning light is on the "extra features" list.

Front Brake Pad lining thickness can be easily inspected without removal of the Alloy Wheels. ---- you know how hard those things are to remove....but then again, since the breaks are probally a POS, you'll have to inspect them daily

Single two-speed windshield wiper and windshield washer are easily operated with steering column-mounted lever. ---- ALERT ALL RICERS! they stole your single wiper-rally-inspired idea...... man, you can operate the wipers AND the windsheilf washers by a level mounted on the column!?!?!? OMG why didn't I think of that, then all the other car companys could use that idea and I would be rich! :rolleyes:

Levels of Motor Oil, Transmission Oil, Coolant and Washer Fluid can be easily checked. ---- you know how difficult pulling a dipstick or looking at the level of a fluid through a clear botttle can be.....

Battery is easily accessed, if replacement is needed. ---- yeah, I am tired of batteries being soo hard to get at...you know, in the front, all open and stuff....c'mon they deserve their own mini-engine bay....

I really hope this thing stays where it is made from...the sad part is, if it came to the US, it would probally sell :rolleyes:

Stoneage_Caddy
12-31-03, 12:10 AM
too late , i think theres already a few over here

as for the brake system and the::: "Vacuum assisted power braking system has diagonal dual lines for additional safety and features front discs and rear drum." well that was a law in the late 60s , all passenger and light trucks have to have it to be sold in the us , makes you wonder since it is a advertiseing point in russia ..jeez suppose there cars have flinstone brakes ?

but they claim 80mph, out of a shoc inline 2 making 36 horse

what were talking here is a modern day 1960 vw beetle

eehoepp
12-31-03, 12:22 AM
Rack & Pinion steering gives a positive response with minimum of effort, so that power assist is not needed.---- read: too cheap to install power steering, so we are gonna use something that most GM's have been using since the 70's

But, ya know... A car that small and light doesn't really need power steering. At any speed other than a dead standstill, it's probably fairly easy to turn the wheel. My dad had an econo 1988 Hyundai Excel. It was a basic, basic car (the radio was a dealer-installed option). It did not have power steering and at any rolling speed at all, steering was no problem. Skinny tires (P155/85R13 IIRC) didn't add a lot of steering drag, either.

A large, heavy Cadillac (or other big NA car) with wide rubber is an entirely different matter.

MMNineInchNails
12-31-03, 03:35 AM
If I saw one of those driving around I think I'd "accidently" run into it and total it and the caddy would come out with a scratch on the shitty paint.

davesdeville
12-31-03, 06:37 AM
On a related note, my dad wants to buy a Geo Metro. Sigh... well at least it has one more cyl than this thing.

Night Wolf
12-31-03, 11:11 AM
I am sure if you compare a GEO Metro to this thing, it would come out as an entry-level luxury car :D

BeelzeBob
12-31-03, 03:02 PM
How much are those things going for these days?

DeVillish
12-31-03, 04:44 PM
I really think its a cool idea, just a very crapy way of going through with it. Think about it, a cheap little car for auto-x with. Now if maybe a better company had done it better it would have been good. Just think if Suzuki used the engines from a 'busa in a little car like that. Well they do have little F1 style cars with busa engines and they are friggin fast. Good idea, bad way of doing it.

Stoneage_Caddy
12-31-03, 07:57 PM
"How much are those things going for these days?"

around 5k for a race prepped car , i think another 3 for the factory trailer that goes with it